InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ I'll Be There For You ❯ Change ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 12: Change
 
***********
 
“Hey! I thought you were ready to leave this place!” Kagome came in, finding Inuyasha dozing on the bed. She hobbled over to him, trying to get used to the walking cast she was given earlier that day.
 
Leaping out of bed, Inuyasha grabbed Kagome for a quick hug and a kiss hello. “Hell yeah! Let's go!” Kagome giggled and reached down to grab his bag. He lightly slapped her hand away and snatched it up.
 
“Mom is out in the car waiting for us. Are you all signed out?” He nodded.
 
After spending 10 days in the hospital, Inuyasha was more than ready to leave it all behind. He allowed Kagome to go through the door and out into the hallway before putting his arm around her waist. The nurses smiled and gave their farewells to the cutest couple on the floor.
 
Down at the car, Inuyasha let Kagome sit up front, while he took the back seat. “Ready to go home, Inuyasha?” Mrs. Higurashi looked back at the young man. He nodded and the car pulled out, heading for the shrine.
 
Home
 
It had been decided that he'd stay here in town, close to Kagome. Between the threat of someone trying to kill them and his head injury, which wouldn't allow him to drive for a few weeks, Kaede and Kagome's mother felt it was for the best. Inuyasha wasn't about to complain.
 
Inuyasha would be staying at the shrine until fall quarter at the University, when he and Kagome would move to campus. Mrs. Higurashi made them promise to keep things clean between them while they were under her roof. Blushing furiously, both teens had promised to behave themselves.
 
Upon reaching the shrine, Inuyasha and Kagome went into the house. Turning suddenly, Kagome placed a kiss on his lips. “Welcome home, Inuyasha,” she breathed.
 
Home
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
“I can't believe graduation is tomorrow!” The speaker bounced on Kagome's bed in excitement. “Are you and Inuyasha coming to the party at the club?” Kagome smiled at Sango. She had been trying for the past week to get them to come to the post-graduation fling being held at the country club. Sango was going to go with Miroku and really didn't want to be alone with her pervert of a boyfriend all evening.
 
“Yeah, I finally convinced Inuyasha to come. He really didn't want us to go. You know that he still hasn't been cleared to drive, and that frustrates him. He is also concerned because the police haven't caught the guy who sabotaged his car.”
 
Sango looked at her friend in concern. “Do they have any suspects yet?” Kagome shook her head.
 
“They questioned Hojo, but he had been out of town at his cousins' place. He has alibis and everything. The weird thing is that no one seemed to see anything strange going on in the parking lot that night.”
 
“I'm sure that they'll find the creep soon,” Sango said softly, putting a hand on Kagome's shoulder.
 
“I don't know anymore, Sango.” Kagome sighed and shifted positions on her bed. “I gave them the note I found Monday, but the fingerprints were not in the database.”
 
The two women were silent for a moment. Shaking herself slightly, Sango changed the subject. “Miroku and I will pick you guys up at 6:00 tomorrow night. Don't forget to bring your stuff with you for afterwards.” After the party, Inuyasha, Miroku, and Kagome were going to spend the weekend at Sango's place.
 
“Alright. I'll make sure Inuyasha has his stuff ready as well.”
 
“Sounds good. Well, I better head home. We need to be at the school by 12:30 tomorrow. See ya there!” Walking her friend to the door, Kagome waved as Sango headed home.
 
Deciding to take advantage of the beautiful evening, Kagome took a seat on the bench beneath the God Tree. `Wow, graduation is tomorrow. I can hardly believe it. It seems just yesterday that I was starting primary school; high school seemed so far away, I thought I would never finish. It is not like I am done with school though. In the fall, Inuyasha and I will enter the University. I am frightened though. This signifies a huge change in my life. Inuyasha and I could marry any time now, even though we decided to wait until we were through with college.' Kagome was lost in her thoughts, not noticing she had company.
 
She jumped slightly as she felt someone put his arms around her. Turning a bit, she saw Inuyasha. “What's wrong, `Gome?” he asked her quietly. Shifting her so they both were straddling the bench, Inuyasha wrapped his arms around her and held her pressed against his chest.
 
Kagome sighed and leaned her head back against him. “I was just thinking about tomorrow and our future. It scares me a little. Up to this point, I have been Kagome, student. I knew what was expected of me. Now that is changing.”
 
“Well, you will still be a student for a few more years. I will be with you through it all. When we finish school, we'll marry and start that path together as well.” Inuyasha trailed light kisses along the side of her neck. “Change is a scary thing, but you don't have to face it alone. Remember that I am here for you, my precious angel.”
 
The two sat comfortably beneath the ancient tree and watched as the stars began to dot the sky.
 
**************
 
TBC
 
A/N: I hope I didn't lose anyone with this chapter. I had to get a few things done before the story could move on. The last part mirrored my own feelings as I graduated college. This is my only “self-insertion” that I knowingly put in my story.
 
As always, enjoy and review. Thanks!