InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Inuyasha Fairytales ❯ Sleeping Beauty: The Birth ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Kagura sat down in the rocking chair, a sigh of relief escaping her as her aching back connected with the emerald colored cushion. Rapping her fluffy grey rob around her she patted her knee. Moments later her small dark-haired daughter sat curled in her lap, clutching a book to her heart.
 
“What story should we start with Rin?” She asked with a smile.
 
“Sleeping beauty!” The girl squeaked. The book was very old and a light dust sifted into the air as Kagura turned the page to the story. It was a book written long ago, when her husband and brother-in-law were children. The pictures were beautiful, the detail so carefully painted that it could only have been done by one with a demons sight. The stories were by her mother-in-law, a woman she never had the pleasure of meeting, for she had died giving birth to the man who stood casually leaning against the doorframe.
 
It was said that the first wife of the great demon lord had a special sight, and could foretell events long before their happening. She saw her own death, and the birth of her child. The book she now held was striking proof that she also saw the birth of Inuyasha, her brother-in-law, and planned long ago for his coming, providing the best protection for a half demon born two hundred years ago.
 
“Once upon a time,” she began with a smile, “there lived a king and queen who longed for a child.”
 
Rin soon lost herself in the story, staring at the beautiful painting of a dark-haired woman brushing her hair before a mirror, just behind her a window stood overlooking a small pond. The forest trees grew tall in the background, but still minute in comparison to the mountains that caressed the blue water colored sky. The sounds of cricket chirps filled her ears mixing the songs of the birds to create a melody never before imagined.
 
The queen lounged in her cushiony chair, brushing her long black hair humming to herself, trying to forget the aching loneliness in her heart that always filled her on days like today. A day so bright and beautiful, a day meant for picnics and horse riding and swimming, a day meant for playing with children. She sighed, watching herself in the mirror, those sad violet eyes couldn't belong to her. She had all she ever wanted. A loving husband, a beautiful home, wonderful servants…but she didn't have a child, had yet to produce an heir for the kingdom.
 
She head a small splash and thump, turning to the window she saw a small green frog, sitting contentedly on her windowsill, as though he belonged there, a small ornament for her room.
 
“Hello there little one,” she said softly. “Lost your way? Little frogs belong in the pond, not in the royal bedroom. Best be off.” She smiled as she spoke, talking to the little thing as though he understood.
 
“Sorry to trouble you m`lady,” said the frog in a deep, croaky voice. “I'll be off soon enough. I just wished to be the first to congratulate you.”
 
Astounded, for she had never been talked spoken to by a frog before, the queen just stared puzzled, only able to utter a soft. “Congratulate?”
 
“Yes.” Said the frog rather honored to be able to further talk with the queen. “You will soon become a mother.” he turned to leave, hopping down onto his lily a little frog smile stretching his green skin a little.
 
“But, how do you know this?” cried the queen, leaning out the window to gaze at the frog.
 
“We pond dwellers have a way of knowing what goes on around our homes.” With that he dove into the misty water, leaving only the crickets and birds to play their music.
 
Several months passed and the queen's belly swelled with the life she carried within her. She lay about the castle on cushions watching the days go by, occasionally chatting with the frog who had already named himself guardian of the prince who she would birth. HE was sure it was a prince, positive, and the queen had no reason to doubt him. Those pond dwellers, after all, had a way of knowing things. She did find it rather amusing to imagine the small frog protecting her child.
 
Than, on one spring mourning, just before the sun peaked over the mountains in the distance, the prince was born.
 
~*~*~*~*
 
Kagura laughed softly at her daughter, tugging her father by his hand she dragged him over, intent on receiving the rest of the story from him. Kagura sat back in her rocker, content just to observe. Sesshoumaru glanced up at her, his face a mask carved of the finest marble, but his eyes shining with hidden amusement.
 
“Were did you leave off last night?” he asked his wife, opening the book to the story they had read.
 
“When the young prince was born,” Kagura told him, watching the fire in the hearth dance and place along the log of wood, igniting others to join them in their celebration.
 
“The king and queen were overjoyed.” She heard her husband begin. “Our sun is the most glorious in the kingdom!” declared the King, and indeed he was. His eyes being as golden as the crown he would someday were, his hair silver as the lining in the clouds. He was a creature of magic, and all through the kingdom people rejoiced.”
 
Kagura watched the flames dance, the warmth of a spring mourning washing over her as she listened, succumbed to her husband's soft, musical voice as he told a version of the story she had never heard before.
 
~*~*~*~*
 
The queen sat at her windowsill, talking with the frog who had perched himself atop a small jeweled lily pad she had crafted for him. His throne, she called it.
 
“We will be having a special celebration,” the queen told him, “or our son.”
 
“And what is this child's name, I wonder?” said the frog slyly. The queen knew he was a bit put-off by not knowing the child name, and knew how to remedy his ill temper.
 
“He has no name yet.' The queen answered. “I suppose it would be best if you named him.”
 
“Me?” He croaked. “But-but I” His sour mood turned to embarrassment.
 
“Yes, you were the first to know of the prince, you are his guardian. You have probably been many places. You should know a perfect name for him.” She said. “After al, you pond dwellers know things.”
 
She watched with a smile as the frog rose up several inches in what had to be pride. “Indeed we do. Very well then…he name will be…Inuyasha.”
 
“InuYasha.” She pondered that a while. “What a lovely name.”
 
“Who will you invite to the celebration?” The frog asked in his low croaky voice.
 
“I suppose we'll invite the nobles from our lands, and perhaps a few of the neighboring royalties. But than it would be such a very small party, and I would hate to have to invite commoners, not that there's anything wrong, its just we don't know them well and they may hurt the baby.”
 
“What of the magic folk?” croaked the frog.
 
“We don't know any magic folk.” replied the queen sadly.
 
“I do! And I'm sure they would be honored to attend such a festivity.”
 
“Yes, that would be wonderful. Would you invite them?”
 
“Of coarse m`lady.” The frog hopped down from his jeweled lily and splashed into the water to relay the news to the wish who would tell the water nymphs who would tell the tree nymphs who would carry the message through the forest. All magic folk who wished were invited to the castle.
 
~*~*~*~*~*
 
Kagura stopped rocking, gazing down at her small daughter, sleeping peacefully, safely, cuddled up in her arms. Sesshoumaru reached down to gather the child, placing a soft kiss on his wife's lips before leaving to put the child into her bed. Kagura smiled slightly, setting the aged book on the side table before ascending the stairs to going her husband for the night.
 
“We'll finish tomorrow.” She whispered softly to no one in particular.
 
~*~*~*~*
 
A/N: I'm tired; I'll finish the rest tomorrow.