InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Inuyasha ❯ Inuyasha ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

She felt her heart quicken and her breath stand still. She looked up at the struggling hanyou with wide, innocent brown eyes. Finally, he was going to tell her. She had almost been killed by that monster, and the look of worry and shame on his face told her that he was in one of his "vulnerable" moments and ready to open up to her. And this is how she liked him best. She waited with anticipation, licking her lips so they fell open to appear moist and inviting. When she did this, she saw his reaction, and he turned his head away from her nervously and blushed. She grinned jubiliantly within herself and almost jumped up ready to do a happy dance, but she halted. This was a precious moment, and she wasn't going to ruin it with arguements or girly outbursts.
 
Kagome heard the bushes behind her rustle. Good, she thought. If the others were spying on her, then they'd see too Inu Yasha's final moment of revealing his feelings to her. Inu Yasha, on the other hand, didn't seem concerned about their presence. He balled up his fists and looked at the ground, boring a hole in it. He opened his lips to speak, and the dangled a bit with a small stutter.
 
"Kagome...I..."
 
Come on, you jerk! Say it! She was screaming in her head. She was starting to get mad. Patience, Kagome, Patience. That's all she could remind herself to restrain her emotions. Then she started to think about how she would react.
 
'Do I leap into his arms and laugh jubilantly as those women in the romance novels do?' She mentally shook her head. 'Or do I just bow meekly and act all shy and blush?' She gasped outwardly. She didn't mean to, but she almost covered her mouth with her hands. Suddenly, she was glad she was sitting on her hands for fear of running up to Inu Yasha and rubbing his puppy dog ears instantly and then start going "oh I'm so habby wit my wittle Inu-chan you so cuuuuuutttte!" No, maybe not. But she would at least like to get some romantic background music with a symphony or something.
 
'Yes, dammit! I deserve at least some damn background music for all my troubles! Some one get me Celine Dion to do an overture!'
 
Then when she was about to miss it, Inu Yasha stuttered again, meeting her gaze.
 
"Kagome...I...I was really scared back there. I thought I almost failed to protect you."
 
"But you did, Inu Yasha," she said sweetly, blushing. "I'm fine now. So don't worry."
 
"NO! Listen to me, wench!" He said defiantly. She almost groaned at the "wench" part, but hey, that was Inu Yasha. He inhaled and then exhaled harshley, gobbling up some of that fresh fuedal air and then expelling it as if some of his anxiety had gone with it. "I care about you so don't you go around doing stupid stuff! Just let me protect you! If you're not here for me someday, I---I COULDN'T LIVE WITHOUT YOU!"
 
There. He said it. Her face turned crimson, but not as crimson as his. However, she was shocked and he was scowling and scratching his head after he had made such an emotional revelation.
 
"I....I...care about you too...Inu Yasha," she said softly, almost in a whisper. She was sure the others hiding in the bushes couldn't hear her it was so soft. Inu Yasha looked at her, blushing some more and standing still as if he was too afraid to make the next move. Suddenly, Kagome stood up and walked over to him so she could looke him in the face. Actually, she wanted to be close to him so he didn't chicken out on the chance to kiss her. He's actually never kissed her, and that has disturbed her. How could she tell her friends he's her boyfriend when they've never even kissed? Even more so, the only person she's seen him ever kiss was Kikyo, not her. But now, he just confessed, sort of, his feelings for her. Isn't this how the moment is supposed to progress? Boy confesses to girl, girl gets close to boy, boy makes first move, and then boy kisses girl. At least, that's how Kagome thought it was supposed to go.
 
He swallowed a lump in his throat and saw how close Kagome was to him. He felt chills looking into her face like that, her face that accepted him so wholeheartedly and he didn't even ask it of her. Kagome. She loved him; he knew it. Though he was still unsure, would being with Kagome mean that he would be betraying Kikyo all over again. He sucked in some air as Kagome came closer to him, as if to wait for his embrace, or something more. He didn't know if he could go through with it. There was so much he still had to do with Kikyo.
 
Then, his stomach growled. Kagome looked at him searching for embarressment, but rather she saw relief. "Uh...so...let's go back and get something to eat," he said quietly, turning his face away from hers. She froze suddenly, as if someone yanked her rudely out of this beautiful moment.
 
"Huh?" She said dumbly, and then Inu Yasha started to walk away.
 
"Food, Kagome. Come on!" He said waving his hand to beckon her to come to the village. Kagome's shoulders shrugged and her eyes drooped to the ground.
 
Her perfect moment had just been spoiled by Inu Yasha's stomach.
 
*************************************************************** *******************************
 
"That jerk!" Kagome yelled, throwing her books across her room. She didn't even want to go back to the damn fuedal era, but her so called "boyfriend" wanted her to find the shards again and stop her schooling! Ha! And after what he did to her, she didn't feel he deserved her presense again. How dare he treat her like that?
 
Not a day after he told her he cared for her, Kikyo's stupid floating fish thingies came by and beckoned him to follow. Of course, Kagome didn't know this until after she had come back from the fuedal era to get supplies. She saw the two "lovebirds" talking just not to far from the well.
 
"It's like those assholes want me to walk in on them! How convenient!" She huffed. "How do I find myself in those cliche moments?" She shook her head miserbly when she saw their inevitable kiss. She wanted to cry. She wanted to beat the snot out of him and "sit" his cute little ass into next month. But she did what she always did when she got caught in that situation. She ran back home.
 
Kagome sighed. "I can't keep letting him do this to me." She said, as she stared viciously at her homework trying to expel her thoughts of Inu Yasha and focus on her Algebra. She started to write out a problem, when out of no where Kikyo and Inu Yasha's kiss invaded her thoughts again. She growled and picked up her algebra book and threw it acroos the room. "Damn your quadratic equation!"
 
She plopped roughly onto the bed, and stared at the ceiling. "Well, I can't keep running from this forever. I should face it head on."
 
Then after taking another deep breath, she picked up her things and left for the well. She didn't care if Inu Yasha was there waiting for her or not. Well, actually she was hoping he was there. If she saw him, she's fling her book bag at him and call him an asshole. She smirked at the thought of that and jumped happily into the gateway of time.
 
"Kagome!" Someone yelled her name, but it was not Inu Yasha. It was Sango, and she seemed distressed. "Thanks goodness your back! We need your help!"
 
"What's wrong?" Kagome asked frantically and flung her bag over the well and ran quickly when she exited its opening. She caught sight of Sango, and she saw Miroku and Shippo towering over Koga, who was badly injured and bleeding all over the demon exterminator's arms.
 
"Hurry! We can't find Inu Yasha, and Koga needs help. He's been poisoned by Naraku's miasma along with some other bad wounds!" Miroku said. Kagome put her past thoughts of Inu Yasha aside and ran to the injured wolf demon.
 
"Koga! Oh, gods! What's happen to you?" Kagome asked frantically. Even if the wolf prince was arrogant and misguided, he was still her friend and ally. She hated seeing him hurt like this. She took over for Sango and rested the wolf demon in her arms. He winced in pain for a moment, but then when he looked up into her face, he smiled.
 
"Kagome, I came to see you, but I got interfered. Sorry to trouble you," he said weakly, and he started coughing.
 
"Don't talk anymore. Save your strength. Don't worry, I'll help you," Kagome said in a soothing voice. She brushed Koga's hair away from his face and took her hankerchief and wiped the sweat and blood off his brow. "Everyone, go get me my med kit. I'll try to concentrate on some healing techniques that Kaede had taught me, but I need some medicine to stop the bleeding. Hurry!"
 
"Right!" Everyone said in unison, and Kagome took Koga's hand and closed her eyes in concentration. Koga felt her hand grip his, and he tightened his grip, elated that the woman he loved was holding him like this. As she was healing him, the wolf demon fell into a content slumber.
 
*************************************************************** ********************************
 
Inu Yasha came back later that night. He had a look of guilt on his face, and he was even more afraid that he would have to endure Kagome's wrath. He was sure she saw him with Kikyo, and now that he's been gone so long, she could probably assume a number of things had happend between them. Well, he thought, she would most likely be right. He felt his soul crack. He really did care about Kagome, perhaps even love her, but as long as Kikyo walked this earth, he belonged to her, and Kagome didn't really have a chance. He just didn't have the heart to tell her that. Or, he didn't want to accept that himself. He was still so very confused.
 
He saw that Kaede's hut had a small candle burning in it, and when he came into the room quietly, some people were sleeping, but Kagome was sitting up, trying to stay awake but dozing once in awhile. He was about to apologize when he smelled something bad. Very bad.
 
He growled. It was that damned wolf, and his scent was very strong. When he looked down at Kagome, he saw that the wolf was lying in her lap, and he was sleeping and badly hurt.
 
"What the hell happend?" Inu Yasha barked angrily, walking the entire hut up but Koga. Koga was snoring like a content little baby and grinning in his sleep. Inu Yasha started to seethe with anger, convinced the wolf prince was mocking him, even in his sleep.
 
"Shhhh!" Kagome shushed him, and she narrowed her eyes at him. Inu Yasha still maintained his angry face. Miroku and Sango rubbed their eyes. Shippo yawned loudly. "Inu Yasha, Koga was attacked and almost died. We're just helping him heal. Keep your voice down and go to bed." She ordered him sternly, but knowing where he had come from, she secretly enjoyed the fact that he was glaring at the handsome wolf prince sleeping soundly in HER lap.
 
"What the fuck is he doing in your lap?" He tried to whisper, but it ended up more as a raspy growl.
 
Kagome almost wanted to smirk and play along to this game. In fact, she thought she would. She put on her best innocent, horrofied face. She cranked up the dramatics a few notches and moaned helplessly, "Oh, it was awful Inu Yasha. I came out of the well and saw how badly Koga was hurt. He was calling for me, and I thought he was going to die, so I came over to him and shared my lap. You should have seen the state he was in before I healed him. Even you would have thought it was horrible. So I didn't want to move him, and he's been here ever since. He seems to be doing okay, but I'm afraid he'll get worse if I don't stay like this."
 
"Yeah right." Inu Yasha huffed, a little annoyed that Kagome had suddenly concentrated a huge chunk of the motherly pity energy on Koga. She probably was still mad at him and using this incident with Koga to stay away from him. He hated to admit it, but that wolf had TERRIBLE timing, and now he wondered if Kagome would ever talk to him about Kikyo. He had to patch things up. He didn't like playing the role of cheating scumbag, and after meeting the gazes of his other companions, he realized Kagome must have told him where he was. Miroku and Shippo's glares were pretty bad, but Sango's glares really frightened him. He was about to leave the hut when Koga thrashed his head a bit over Kagome's lap, snuggling closer to the middle of her legs.
 
He mumbled, "Oh, Kagome...."
 
Inu Yasha was ready to blow a gasket, but Kagome shot him a glare and hugged Koga protectively. He balled up his fist and growled. He finally just turned around and stomped out of the hut, yelling out obscenities in the frigid night air.
 
TBC....
 
AN: Hey, eveyone! Tell me what you think so far. I'll update this story soon. I like new stories. Now if I could only finish my other ones...Hrmm....Love, Quirkyslayer