InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Last Hope ❯ Escape ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

"Last Hope"

Disclaimer: I don't own Kagome or anyone else's name in this fic with a trademark.

Summary: The year is 2402 and humans no longer exist. Somehow a human girl shows up, but she has many pursuers after her. Five companions will do anything to protect her, but this is more easily said than done. S/K

A/N: The summary really doesn't say much at all about what this fic is really about. What it says is just a general idea… so don't judge it by that. The plot is MUCH more complex! And not to mention weird… lol.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"Escape"

"Ka-go-me?" she repeated her name slowly, speaking for the very first time. She had no problem understanding what the three men were telling her, but actually speaking was a whole different matter. Finding the exact way to form her lips or curl her tongue to make the sound she wanted was difficult.

The man with the sandy-blonde hair smiled, "Yes, perfect. You're Kagome; I'm Surudoi, that's Kagaku and Kashikoi." He said pointing his hand toward the other two men next to him. Surudoi didn't speak slowly toward her at all, he knew very well that she could keep up with him speech and understand everything he was saying. He, Kagaku and Kashikoi had made her that way; she was practically a walking dictionary, all though she probably wouldn't understand slang.

"Su-ru-doi, Ka-ga-ku, and Ka-shi-koi…" Kagome said, sounding out each of their names, "I will remember that." She smiled. Something she noticed about them was that they were different than she. All three of them had tails, claws, and fangs, which she could tell without even looking at herself that she had neither. This fact bothered her a little, why was she different?

"I guess we have to teach her to walk, her muscles have never supported weight before," Kagaku said.

"I think we should get her some clothes first," Surudoi said.

"Yeah, clothes would be a good thing. I don't think we want her to think it's ok to be running around nude in public," Kagaku said with a slight laugh.

"I'll go get some from Sango…" Surudoi stood up and stared over to the stairs.

Kagome's eyes shifted from Surudoi and Kagaku as the talked. She wondered why Kashikoi hadn't spoken yet, and then the thought occurred to her that he was possibly mute. After coming to the conclusion that him being mute might be the case she decided not to ask why he hadn't spoken.

It wasn't long before Surudoi came back down the stairs with some clothes for Kagome. He set them out on the bed next to Kagome.

"A shirt and pants? Aren't you forgetting some important feminine items?" Kashikoi raised a brow at Surudoi. Kagome was glad to find out he wasn't mute.

"There's underwear there…" Surudoi said meekly, knowing exactly what his friend and colleague meant.

"I guess that will have to do for now, but she will need a bra and such later," Kashikoi said with a sigh.

After a difficult and frustrating ten minutes Kagome was dressed and ready to learn to walk. Surudoi took her left arm and put it around his neck, while Kagaku did the same on her right.

"Ready?" Surudoi asked.

"Yes," Kagome replied confidently. In her short waking moments she had figured out how to speak without sounding everything out, it seemed only names she had trouble with. Well, at least long names.

Kagaku and Surudoi stood at the same time, lifting Kagome up onto her feet. They both had to lean down a bit because of the differences in height between her and them. The two Kitsune slowly took one step forward in unison, encouraging movement from Kagome. She took a single, shaky step putting full-weight on her legs. To the three men in the room it was like watching they're own child take it's first steps, or say it's first words. And yet in way she really was they're child.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"What'd he say?" Surudoi asked as Kashikoi entered the room.

"He's going to come in four days to get her," Kashikoi answered as he looked of the Kagome. She was sitting in the bay window, leaning against the glass and looking outside. She looked thoroughly fascinated with what was outside; the look was actually quite similar to a child in a candy store.

"It's going to be weird without her around…" Kagaku started quietly, "I mean; we'll have nothing to do now."

"Yeah, it's amazing how we've worked so hard to just repay this damn uncalled for debt to him and it would be a weight off our shoulders having her gone," Kashikoi whispered so Kagome wouldn't hear. The three of them always referred to Naraku as `him', almost like it was a sin to say his name. "But we don't wanna let go now."

"I pity her…" Surudoi said out-of-the-blue.

"What? Why?" Kashikoi and Kagaku said.

"Think about it, she's the only one of her kind. The only human that's walked on this earth for almost one-hundred-and-seventy-years, and she doesn't know. Kagome is completely alone, there's no one like her anywhere… and she ahs no idea why. She doesn't have parents, friends, siblings or anything," Surudoi said in a voice that made it evident he was very deep in thought, and seemed to be almost expressing his every feeling to them, "She doesn't even know that she was created and not born. She has no memories… no nothing. How would you like a life like that?"

This was something the other two had to admit they had never taken into consideration. It seemed the young Kitsune never ceased to surprise them, always thinking up things they wouldn't have even dreamed of. Both Kashikoi and Kagaku realized that being the only human in a world of youkai would be very difficult, though they doubted he would expose her to the public. The crafty, mysterious man didn't seem to be one that would go to crowded outings and such.

It could be that he wanted her for a concubine of sorts; it wouldn't really surprise them in the least bit. He probably wanted her as something new, possibly something to brag about, that he had slept with a human. There were the few peoples that had before all the humans had gone "extinct" per se but finding one was difficult, let alone talking with them about it.

Kagaku, Kashikoi, and Surudoi didn't like the thoughts of what he might do to her. And what had been in that vial still tugged at their curiosity, what could have been so important to add to her?

"Well… we finished her and she technically isn't ours. So why don't we take this opportunity to celebrate, ne?" Kagaku said, trying to get off the subject. He was just as worried about it as the other two. But being who he was, he didn't like to dwell on things.

Kashikoi smirked, "I agree. Champagne?" he asked as he opened the bottle that they had set out earlier for their already planned celebration. As he poured the drink into his colleagues' glass's he thought again about Kagaku's sudden need for celebration… it was probably only because he wanted the champagne, `Idiot…' he insulted mentally.

Surudoi sighed as took a sip of the bubbly liquid. He knew that Kagaku and Kashikoi were just trying to not think about it, trying not to get attached to Kagome so it would be easier to let go and just forget about her. He didn't think he could do that though… there had to be someway they could possibly check up on her every once in a while or something. Yet, the way that he had explained the deal to them it sounded like `once you're done, that's it. Zip, nada, no more, bye bye!'. From the beginning he hadn't trusted that Naraku man even though he had freed them. It didn't make a difference, that damn guy wasn't trustworthy no matter what.

All of the annoyed and angry thoughts were making Surudoi get a headache, and the champagne definitely wasn't helping.

"I'm umm… gonna go to my room. I don't feel well…" Surudoi said in a normal voice as he stood up from his chair and walked out of the room.

"I don't think it's just because he doesn't feel well…" Kagaku said when he was sure the younger kitsune was far enough was not to hear.

"Yeah," was all Kashikoi could really think of to say. He ran a hand through his brunette hair and looked over to Kagome, who was still looking out the window.

Kagome immediately felt Kashikoi's gaze on her, she turned to meet it and smiled. She wondered why they had suddenly stopped talking, she didn't hear their words before but she knew that they were speaking. It seemed Surudoi hadn't liked whatever it was they were having a conversation about and left; he had just made a poor excuse to leave. Even she had noted that. It concerned her that Surudoi was upset, though she knew not why it still bothered her.

"Knock, knock?" Kagome turned toward the familiar voice coming from the doorway.

"What is it, Miroku?" Kashikoi asked in a slightly annoyed tone which didn't make Miroku feel comfortable at all.

"I just wanted to tell you that dinner is ready," Miroku answered.

"Ok, we'll be there in a minute…" Kashikoi said.

Before Miroku left he took one last look at the girl, Kagome. Kagaku, Surudoi, and Kashikoi had said she was merely another android like himself and Sango. Miroku may not have been an actually living person, but he wasn't dumb enough to believe that lie and they knew it too. It didn't take a genius to figure out that she wasn't a machine like him, that she was a living being. Though, what she was exactly he wasn't sure. She didn't look youkai at all; she had no physical traits showing so. She looked human. Just like androids did but every move she made, everything she did gave her away. Miroku wondered just what in the world those three had done, and why.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

There were three hours until he was going to come and get her.

In the four days that Kagome had now been conscious she had learned an extreme amount of things and surprised her three creators. Kagome would suddenly pick up a book and start reading, it didn't matter what the book was about or even what language it was in. She seemed to be able to read, write, and speak just about anything now. Though they believed she would probably still have difficulties with long names.

Miroku and Sango were told not to make much contact with her or talk to her unless she had asked them a question. Which was a bit difficult since Kagome seemed to love to explore everywhere in the small confines of their home and touch everything. She was just like a small child.

Kagome, Kashikoi, Kagaku, and Surudoi were sitting at the table eating breakfast. Kagome always used perfect etiquette when she ate, which none of the three men could figure out where she could have acquired them from. None of them had also had the courage to tell her that she would be leaving and never coming back. Maybe it was because she seemed too happy here, but most likely it was because they didn't want to admit to themselves that she would be taken away from them. The had worked so hard and so long on her and now that she was finally here it seemed almost like a dream come true, but that dream would quickly turn into a nightmare.

"Dammit! I'm not gonna just sit around and let that Naraku bastard take her!" Surudoi yelled stood up and slammed his fist down on the table.

"Surudoi, calm down. There's nothing we can do about it," Kagaku said in a composed voice, but it was obvious he was holding back his own anger.

"Do nothing about what? Who is being taken away?" Kagome asked in her quiet and innocent voice.

"Nothing, no one, sweaty," Kashikoi smiled at Kagome and then turned to Surudoi and Kagaku and gave them both a dagger glare.

"So you're just gonna lie to her more, that's it!? Why don't you tell her, Kashikoi or you Kagaku! The both of you seem so god damn calm about all of it!" Surudoi yelled again, wanting to get rid of the anger that had built up inside him over the past few days. "Or are both of you just going to watch her confusion and pain as she's taken away from the only things she knows!?"

Kagome was very confused. But she had figured out that they were talking about her. "Where am I going to be taken to?"

All three of them turned to her, they had a great deal to say at that moment but none of them could manage to say a word. All was silent for a minute or two while Kagome waited for her answer.

"I don't know… but you're not going to be alone, Kagome. And you're also not going to be with people you don't know," Kagaku said, finally breaking the stiff silence between them.

"Liar…" Surudoi hissed.

"No, I am not lying," Kagaku replied.

"What exactly are you implying?" Kashikoi asked suspiciously.

"You'll see. But u can tell you now, it's not going to be easy and you're both going to think I've gone insane."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"Ok, I think she's ready," Kagaku said confidently as he looked at Kagome. You could no longer see her face because of the hood of a loose trench coat that she was no wearing.

"Wait, one last thing," Sango said as she pulled a small bottle from her pocket.

"Perfume?" Surudoi looked puzzled.

"Yes, perfume. You said yourself that she is human, and we don't want her smelling like one do we?" Sango said as she sprayed the perfume everywhere on Kagome that she could. Because of Kagaku's `brilliant' plan they had told Sango and Miroku about Kagome being human. It shocked them really, but because of the three youkai's nagging they had to get over it quickly.

"What about you two, are you ready?" Kashikoi asked, looking at Sango and Miroku.

"Yes," Miroku answered for the both of them.

"Ok get going, he's gonna be here in like ten minutes," Surudoi said. His mood has drastically changed now that Kagome was no longer going to be taken away by him.

With that said Sango, Miroku, and Kagome left. They at first started off nonchalantly but soon began to run to get as far away from there as possible. The plan was simple, but it was going to be difficult. Flee to the colonies, it didn't matter how, but just get there.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Kagura stepped up to the door way, she looked at the house. It looked like any other around the particular neighborhood, it was obvious that it kept it's secrets well-guarded. She heard a fait beeping sound as she walked up to the door. Kagura stopped and pulled out a small, square device. It showed a little white dot moving among a green background.

"Damn!" she said before she began to run down the street and motioned three men behind her to follow.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

A/N: Sorry about the confusion still ^-^''. And I'm sure you're wondering where Sesshomaru and Inuyasha and them are, they will come in the next chapter don't worry. Anyway please review! ^__^ lol I'm sure I'm going to get quite a few questions… =P

Next Chapter: "Encounter"

~*Tyfani-chan*~