InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Maybe Next Time ❯ Maybe Next Time ( Chapter 1 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Author's Note: I know I haven't updated in...forever. I suck. I'm a miserable human being, but I didn't realize until after I transferred all my writing to floppies and wiped the hard drive of my old compy that my laptop doesn't have a floppy drive! I've also been out of work for close to a month and cannot afford to by an external floppy drive for aforementioned laptop. "Where is the old compy?", you might ask. I sold it to a friend! So, I decided to start a new story:-) I know that everyone and her cat has written an Inuyasha fic inspired by this song, but they are not me. I looked at some of them to make sure I wasn't going to be plagiarizing anyone else's work. So, without further ado, here is my fic!

Disclaimer: The characters from Inuyasha belong to Takahashi Rumiko. Judge Abby Parker, on the other hand, is all mine.
Next Time
Prologue:
The Trial

"I'm looking at these photos, Ms. Higurashi, and I fail to understand why we are sitting in this courtroom today. This photo clearly depicts your name carved into the seats of Mr. Takahashi's Land Rover. I cannot honestly believe your case got this far," Judge Abby Parker leveled her gaze on the defendant.

The raven haired girl in the witness stand nodded solemnly, "I understand ma'am. I cannot explain my actions that night."

"Clearly, Your Honor, this was a crime of passion," Sango Taijya, Kagome's lawyer (and best friend), declared firmly. "We have heard Mr. Takahashi's story of an 'unhinged, deluded maniac', but it is time to hear Kagome's side of the story." She turned on her heel and strode up to the witness box. "Kagome, please tell us what you first heard and then viewed as you arrived home on April 13, 2007."

The plaintiff, a platinum haired hanyou, snorted and rolled his eyes, causing the judge to cast a meaningful stare in his direction, "That's enough, Mr. Takahashi. I have heard your version of events. It is time that I hear from Ms. Higurashi." She turned her intense gaze back to the young defendant. "Go ahead, Ms. Higurashi."

"Um. I was coming home from a girl's night out with a few friends, and I noticed my cousin's car parked in the driveway."

"And you didn't find this at all odd?" Sango asked.

Kagome shook her head, "No. I was expecting a visit from Kikyou. I assumed she arrived earlier than she had planned. I was excited to see her." She turned to the judge to explain. “We hadn't seen each other in a few years, because she had been studying abroad.”

"I see. And when you entered the house, what did you see." Sango prodded.

The slim, ebony haired woman paled a bit, "Nothing, at first. I couldn't find either Inuyasha or Kikyou anywhere."

"Was that unusual."

Kagome shook her head. "No. They had always been close. It was Kikyou who would introduced me to Inuyasha.” Judge Abby Parker raised an eyebrow at this.

Sango continued her line of questioning, "And you had never suspected Inuyasha of being unfaithful."

She shook her head sadly, her expressive hazel eyes brimming with unshed tears. "I never had any reason to."

Sango reached out and patted her friend and client's hand. "I know how difficult this must be for you, but please continue."

Kagome nodded once more, "I, uh, remember walking up the stairs to our bedroom--"her voice broke on a sob. "I'm sorry, Your Honor." She lowered her head.

"It's ok, Ms. Higurashi. Take your time."

Kagome took a moment to collect herself and, taking a deep breath, lifted her head to continue. "The door to the bedroom was closed and I heard...noises."

"What kind of noises did you hear, Kagome?" Sango prompted.

"Well, I started hearing the noises once I got to the first landing on the stairs and they got louder and louder the further I went. The sounds were obviously those of two people having fantastic sex."

"What happened next?"

"I don't know."

"What do you mean you don't know."

Kagome shook her head slowly, "I really don't know. The next thing I remember is sitting in your driveway, Sango."

"Come now, Kagome, I'm your best friend as well as your council and even I find that hard to believe."

"I know. I just--"

Inuyasha leaped from his seat. "Judge, you don't honestly believe that crock of shit, do you?!"

Jude Parker's shrewd gaze snapped to the hanyou, "Mr. Takahashi, may I remind you that you are in my court? Your behind had better stay firmly glued to you seat. If you open that mouth of yours once more, I will hold you in contempt."

The hanyou's lawyer, who also happened to be his half-brother, sent him a warning look.

As usual, subtlety was lost on the inu-hanyou. Instead of heading the judge's blatant warnings, he plowed on, "Aw, c'mon, Judge! She was a fuckin' Acting major for cryin' out loud!"

Judge Parker slammed her gavel against her pulpit. "That is quite enough, Mr. Takahashi. I hold you in contempt of court. You will pay a fine of five thousand dollars. Bailiff, please take him remand him into custody."

"They can't do this, can they Sesshoumaru?!" Inuyasha bellowed as the Bailiff snapped the handcuffs into place.

"Unfortunately, little brother, they can. If you would learn to keep your mouth shut and your cock in your pants, things like this would not happen. Honestly, I'm surprised Kagome put up with you as long as she did."

Judge Parker banged her gavel three more times, making the courtroom walls ring. "Enough! Mr. Takahashi, if you do not want to suffer the same fate as your brother, you will take a seat immediately." Her tone was deadly, and Sesshoumaru shrugged, sinking gracefully into his uncomfortable, wooden chair. "Ms. Higurashi, you many exit the witness stand and join your council." Her eyes followed the young woman's progress, watching every movement intently. The girl seemed unsure of herself. There was no snide self-assurance, no pride, no malice in her that Abby Parker could identify. It was entirely possible that the girl could have blacked out and committed the acts. It was not unheard of. Judge Parker waited for Kagome to be seated before she spoke, "Ms. Taijya, do you have a psychologist on hand to back up your claim that this was a crime of passion?"

"I most certainly do. Eri Makimoto is on my witness list. Should I call her to the stand, Your Honor?"

Abby Parker was about to do something that went against everything she had ever been taught in law school. She just wanted to get these psychos out of her courtroom. She sighed, "That will not be necessary, Ms. Taijya. Please stand, Ms. Higurashi." She watched the girl closely as her hazel eyes went wide and she looked to her council for an answer. "After observing the behavior of both plaintiff and defendant, I have decided to rule in favor of the defendant." Kagome smiled in relief and hugged Sango tightly. "However, Ms. Higurashi, you will be required to attend anger management classes once a week. In addition, you will perform fifty hours of community service."

"Ha!" Inuyasha crowed happily as the bailiff clamped the handcuffs down onto his wrists.

Judge Parker turned her icy glare on the half-demon. "As for you, Mr. Takahashi. I am requiring you to attend anger management classes once a week as well. In addition, you will perform 150 hours of community service. We have already addressed your five thousand dollar fine."

"Man, that's bullsh--"

"Continue with that sentence, if you want to make it a ten thousand dollar fine and 500 hours of community service, Mr. Takahashi."

Inuyasha's mouth snapped shut and his jaw clenched.

"Now, get out of my courtroom, all of you."

Inuyasha held up his cuffed wrists and opened his mouth, but was cut off, "Bailiff, once Mr. Takahashi is out of my earshot, uncuff him and give him over to the custody of his brother."

If looks could kill, Abby Parker was sure she would be dead, but she wasn't scared of a foulmouthed little shit like Inuyasha Takahashi.

~*~

As Kagome Higurashi walked out of the courtroom, she made eye-contact with her ex-fiance, and smiled evilly.

"You bitch!" He screamed and Sesshoumaru had to exert all of his strength to hold him back. "Let me go, Sesshomaru! I'm going give that bitch the beating she deserves!"

"Is that a threat, Inuyasha? I'd be very careful about how you talk to me, if I were you."

Sesshoumaru was stunned. "It really was premeditated, wasn't it?"

"Damn skippy, Sesshoumaru. No one fucks with me and comes away unscathed." She pecked the older Takahashi brother on the cheek and sashayed away, her hips swaying sweetly as she went.

"I think I just came a little," Sesshoumaru murmured. "Your fiance is brutally hot, little brother."

"EX-fiance. And apparently, she's a fucking crazy bitch! If you want her, take her. I hope she fucks up your Benz like she fucked up my ride."

"Unlike you, Inuyasha, I would have the sense not to cheat on such an alluring creature. I bet she's an animal in the bedroom."

"Fuckin' lay off, Sesshoumaru," the younger brother groused.

"You want her right now, don't you? You want to run after her and take her on the courthouse steps!" Sesshoumaru crowed.

"Shut up!"

"Then why did you cheat on her?"

"What the hell are you going on about?"

"You still want Kagome."

"I didn't say that!"

"Ah, but you have not denied it, either."

"Fuck you, Sesshoumaru." the hanyou muttered.

"Incest is officially illegal in all fifty states, dear brother."

"I hate you," Inuyasha growled and tugged at his silver hair, trying desperately to ignore the uncomfortable bulge in his lower region.

TBC...maybe...

Another Author's Note: This is just a first draft. I wanted to get a feel for how people would react to this piece. And yes! If you weren't absolutely sure, the fic was inspired by "Before He Cheats", by Carrie Underwood. Is there anyone out there with good proofing skills that would be interested in being my beta-reader? I have so many ideas right now and I really need someone to bounce them off of.