InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Memories of you ❯ Chapter 24

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Sitting back against the leather couch, Kagome was stunned into silence as she listened to Inuyasha recall the past five hundred years of his life.  The story had been beautiful but she could feel the sadness that laced even the good times.  Guilt tore through her for the suffering he had endured on her behalf.  He had knowingly decided her life meant more than anything, even his own heart.
 
She could understand why the wish was made the way it had been.  To be a truly unselfish wish, he had to let her go.  One by one, he had lost everyone: Sango, Kaede and Miroku to time and Shippou to his own survivor's guilt.  He had wandered alone, friendless for another two hundred fifty years until Sesshomaru had found him.  She could feel her thoughts racing, continuously coming back to the same point.
 
"How could he even bear it?"
 
She recalled his promise at Miroku's deathbed and to see the conviction of keeping his word to a dying friend nearly brought Kagome to tears.  He had to be strong during what had to be a lonely frightening period of his life.  It was probably something he had not experienced since his mother died and he met their intrepid gang.  Kagome had become so lost in her thoughts that she did not realize Inuyasha had stopped talking and was watching her with concerned eyes.
 
"Kagome?"
 
Startled, Kagome blinked.  "I'm sorry.  I was just trying to absorb everything you told me."  Taking a deep breath, she plunged in.
 
"How did you do it?  I mean, where did you find the will to not give up."
 
Crossing the room, Inuyasha sat on the couch next to her.  She could tell he was deep in thought.  After a few moments of contemplation, he finally answered.
 
"At first, it was because of Midoriko.  I believed in her promise.  I held on to it for a long time.  When I felt ready to give up, there was Miroku.  I couldn't break the vow I made to him on his deathbed.  By the time Sesshomaru came along, I was ready to be a part of the world again.  Living in the royal court was different from running around in the wild but it gave me something else to focus on instead of just missing you."
 
Pausing, he took a deep breath and a blush slightly colored his cheeks. 
 
"After moving to the royal court, there were others along the way that provided comfort and strength."
 
Missing the implication of his last statement, Kagome took his hand.  
 
"I hate that you had to endure all of that.  Especially for my sake."
 
Inuyasha smiled.  "I told you that it was my choice.  It's a decision I would make again in a heartbeat."
 
Pulling her close, he relaxed against the couch cushions.  Inhaling deeply, he felt a calm overtake him.
 
"You deserved to have your life.  A chance to be Kagome.  Not a reincarnation, not a keeper of the jewel.  Just an ordinary girl who went to school and hung out with her friends.  The only care you needed to have was about your grades."
 
Leaning a little out of his embrace, Kagome kissed him on the cheek.
 
"Thank you."
 
Inuyasha blushed and hugged her closer.  They sat in comfortable silence for a long while.  The quiet was broken by Kagome's jaw-cracking yawn.  Inuyasha looked over her head at the clock and was shocked.  It was 2 a.m.  They had checked in the hotel at 7:30 and the night had totally slipped away from them.  Before she could protest, Kagome found herself being bundled off to bed.  There were other questions brimming in her mind but Inuyasha refused to discuss anything else.
 
"Sleep.  There will be plenty of time tomorrow for questions but you've had a long day.  I should have stopped sooner."
 
As she gave in the lure of sleep, Kagome realized Inuyasha said something important that totally slipped by her.   However, she couldn't pull herself out of the sleepy fog to get coherent thoughts.  Instead, she drifted off, chasing the errant thought in her mind.
 
ooOOoo
 
The smell of food pulled Kagome from her deep sleep.  Stretching and yawning, she was disappointed to discover Inuyasha wasn't beside her.  She could vaguely remember curling up beside him at some point, drawn to his warmth.  Sitting up, she was surprised to see a pair of dark jeans and a yellow tee waiting for her.  The food was really calling to her rumbling stomach so Kagome decided a quick shower was in order then eating.
 
After dressing, she allowed the smell of food to be her guide.  Entering the living area of the suite, she was surprised to see the table setup for four.  Noticing her confused look, Inuyasha answered her unspoken question.
 
"Sango and Miroku should be here any minute.  I ordered enough lunch for everyone."
 
Kagome's frown deepened.
 
"Lunch?"
 
Inuyasha laughed.  "Yes, sleepyhead, lunch.  It's 12:30 in the afternoon.  You slept the morning away but apparently you needed it."
 
Before a snappy retort could leave Kagome's mouth, she was interrupted by a knock on the door.  Kagome was thrilled to see her friend smiling.  She could see the contentment all over Sango's face.  She could only smirk at Miroku's satisfied grin.  Evidently, things were progressing well with the two of them.  Sitting down, everyone was bubbling over with peace and happiness.  The suite was soon filled with laughing and talking yet Kagome could not shake the feeling she had missed something in her talk with Inuyasha last night.
 
After eating, the women decided to hit the pool area while the guys took care of business obligations.  Once in the sunshine, Kagome could feel herself become languid from the combination of heat and food.  Sango, however, was brimming with questions.  Sighing Kagome gave up on the idea of a quiet sunbath and instead gave her friend a condensed version of Inuyasha's story.  Sango was mesmerized into silence by the tale and as Kagome finished, she became thoughtful.  Seeing the look on her face, Kagome finally asked what was going on.
 
"Spill, Sango.  What are you thinking?"
 
Frowning slightly, Sango looked seriously at her friend.
 
"Did you ask about any women?"
 
Kagome blinked.  "Women?"
 
Sango rolled her eyes.  "Ka-go-me, it's been five hundred years.  Do you really think he's a virgin?"
 
When there was no respond, Sango kept going.
 
"Think about it.  He has a playboy reputation and he is rich and gorgeous!  You really can't believe women haven't been throwing themselves at him for centuries?  I mean, he was in the royal court during the time of concubines!" 
  
Kagome stared unseeingly at the sparkling pool.  She knew that it was unrealistic to expect Inuyasha to remain chaste for her over such a long period.  The bigger question in her mind was who the women were.  She couldn't help but wonder if they had been human or demon.  Where there really a lot of them or was the playboy reputation just a media myth?  Unbidden, an even bigger question popped into her head.  Turning to Sango, she couldn't help the sudden catch in her voice.
 
"Do you think he loved any of them?"
 
Sango gave her friend a gentle smile.  "Sweetie, the only one who can answer that question is Inuyasha."
 
ooOOoo
 
After completing an internet conference, Miroku and Inuyasha sat back and sighed with relief.  A major deal had been completed which meant a great deal of money to the firm but all Inuyasha could think about was Kagome.  Miroku could see the pensive look on his face and decided to investigate.
 
"How did last night go with Kagome?"
 
Inuyasha gave a mirthless chuckle.  "I think it went fine but I wound up glossing over a few things."
 
Raising his eyebrow, Miroku gave a classic smirk.  "Oh, really?"
 
Trying to ignore the lecherous countance of his friend, Inuyasha stood and fixed himself a glass of water from the bar.
 
"Well, not so much glossed over than fail to mention.  I really didn't discuss the royal court with her."
 
Miroku's eyes widened.  "I can see her not understanding all of that."  A frown began to mar his brow.  "You don't really think she expects you to have been celibate for that long?"
 
Inuyasha drained the glass and began pacing.  "I don't know what she thinks, honestly.  All she was worried about was me.  I don't really think she caught on to the fact that I really didn't mention anything about that time. But I know it won't stay that way forever.”
 
Watching his friend pace back and forth, Miroku tried to think of words that would ease some of Inuyasha's misgivings.
 
“You have to remember Kagome is a modern woman. I'm sure she wouldn't hold it against you to know there had been others before, especially with the amount of time that has passed.”
 
Inuyasha stopped his pacing. “I hear you, Miroku, but how do you think she'll feel when she finds out I was almost forced into an arranged marriage?”
 
Sighing, Miroku went to stand in front of his friend. Grasping Inuyasha's shoulders, he tried to offer comfort.
 
“That was over a hundred years ago.”
 
Staring into Miroku's deep blue eyes, Inuyasha knew his face only showed the worry that had suddenly infiltrated his soul.
 
“I know, but how do you think Kagome will react when she finds it was with Chikako?”