InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Metamorphosis ❯ More Reunions ( Chapter 43 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Disclaimer: I don’t own Inuyasha or any of the publicly known characters, plot, etc.  I’m just renting them from Rumiko Takahashi, Viz, etc.   I do own the plot of this story and any original characters I’ve created.  I will make no money from this fic; I write for my own enjoyment and the enjoyment of my readers.


More Reunions


The next few days passed at a painfully slow pace for our two hanyou.  The imperceptible divide between them grew steadily wider.  They were stuck in a dreadful kind of limbo, slowly drifting away from each other.  In large part, this was the result of private brooding on their great loss, something neither could keep out of mind for long.  They continued to sleep separately, and the days were characterized by seemingly endless hours of walking soundlessly save for the impact of their feet on the ground.  They only spoke to each other when necessary, mostly before meals or when one of them wanted to stop for a break.  Gone was the casual conversation about sweet, trivial nothings.  Gone were all the small instances of physical contact which they previously took for granted, the friendly pats on the shoulder, the occasional holding of hands, the acts of carrying or being carried.  It was all gone, replaced by an uncomfortable, tense silence that dominated their relationship.  At once, they both loathed and cherished that uneasy peace, each fearing that trying to break it would only make things worse.  And neither could help asking themselves the question which deepened that fear to extraordinary levels.  Will we break apart?  

So it was a tremendous relief for our two travelers when they finally spied the familiar sight of Kaede’s village stretching out before them.  Or at least it was for one of them.  Inuyasha had his own obvious reasons for being hesitant, but there was no sense in delaying the inevitable.  He had been in the proverbial dog house with their friends before, and he doubted this would be the last time.  Granted, he had never done anything this bad before, but he was at least somewhat confident they would forgive him.  Eventually.  The true test was going to be Kagome’s family in the future.  He shuddered at the thought; it made reuniting with their feudal era companions seem like a pleasant prospect.  But he would take his lumps, both physical and verbal, in the hopes that one day things could go back to the way they once were.  

Although from the look of things, that was not going to be entirely possible; some things would never be the same.  And when referring to their monk and taijiya companions, that was most definitely a good thing.  Inuyasha and Kagome thought they were imagining things at first, but as they got closer, they both decided their eyesight was fine.  That was indeed Miroku with his sleeves rolled up, helping a handful of villagers on a construction project on the outskirts of the village, a short distance from Kaede’s hut.  It didn’t take a genius to figure out what they were building; a married couple needed their privacy, after all.  Living with an elderly miko would certainly put a damper on some of the more intimate aspects of married life.  Both hanyou smiled, happy for their friends.  Sango and Miroku had waited long enough.  They were perhaps a hundred feet away from the scene, still unnoticed, when Shippou’s shrill voice split the air.  

“Kagome!”  The fox kit raced across the grass, ecstatic to see her.  Giggling at his enthusiasm, Kagome took a few steps forward and knelt down, catching Shippou and holding him tightly when he leapt into her arms.  

“Oh, I missed you, Shippou-chan!” she said.  The kit might have replied, but the other person on the scene had caught his eye.  Inuyasha stood silently behind his mate, arms crossed and hidden by his sleeves.  He gazed at them with an expression equal parts longing and worry.  Hanyou and youkai locked eyes for a moment, but the former looked away, shame darkening his golden orbs.  Then Inuyasha seemed to spy something in the distance, and gulped visibly.  

“Kagome-chan!”  

Suddenly, Shippou knew why Inuyasha was afraid.  Sango had been in a sour mood ever since Kagome’s departure.  She managed to avoid taking it out on anyone for the most part, but it was always there.  Kagome moved to stand and Shippou leapt down from her embrace, lest he be squished between two female bodies.  His concern proved to be justified, as the two women shared a powerful embrace.  Sango pulled away and wiped a lone tear from her cheek, but then her eyes took on a murderous glint as she glanced toward the other hanyou in their group.  To his credit, Inuyasha held his ground, meeting Sango’s irate stare with a soft one of his own, apologetic and humble.  That didn’t seem to phase the taijiya; she practically shook with rage, hands fisted tightly at her sides.  She looked as though she intended to lay into the hanyou at any moment, but a small touch on her elbow drew her attention back to Kagome.  The miko gave a microscopic shake of her head, and Sango growled in frustration.  But she was apparently willing to abide by her friend’s wishes, settling for elbowing Inuyasha in the side as she stormed past him on her way to blow off some steam.  The hanyou grunted, but made no other sound or move.  

“It is good to see you again, Kagome-sama,” Miroku said from the opposite direction.  He too enfolded Kagome in a hug, and Inuyasha had to forcibly suppress his possessive growl.  He supposed he would never outgrow his disdain for letting other males touch his mate, but now was not the time to get himself in any more trouble.  

“You too, Miroku-sama,” she replied.  The monk released her, and much like his fiancée’s, his gaze hardened as it transferred to Inuyasha.  Male comradery couldn’t even come close to forging forgiveness this time.  But Miroku was not quite as impulsive as his bride-to-be, so his expression contained no barely-restrained desire to do physical harm.  There was, however, a hint of some sort of understanding.  The message to Inuyasha was clear—prove that you are back for good, and that you will be faithful to Kagome-sama.  Then we’ll talk.  Looking at the miko once more, the monk managed a wry grin, effectively breaking some of the tension in the air.  

“Well, I’d best go collect Sango before she frightens all the animals in the forest away.”  

“Okay, Miroku-sama,” Kagome answered, chuckling at the joke.  Sango could be pretty scary sometimes.  Her mirth subsided as she watched the monk depart, her expression turning contemplative.  

Shippou gazed up at Inuyasha, honestly feeling a little sorry for the guy.  He had done an incredibly bad, hurtful thing, but he was here trying to make amends and Shippou thought that should count for something.  And unlike the humans, the fox youkai could smell Inuyasha’s remorse and shame.  He had heard people say that children forgive easier than adults, but there was more to it than that.  Inuyasha had avenged his father, protected an orphan kitsune when no one else who could was willing.  Let’s face it—back then, Kagome usually couldn’t even manage to protect herself, let alone anyone else.  The hanyou had become the older brother he never had, and had always been there for him when he was in trouble.  And right now, the tables had been turned.  Inuyasha was in trouble, and Shippou intended to be there for him.  He climbed up and settled himself on the hanyou’s shoulder, much like he had done a hundred times in the past.  Inuyasha was startled at first, but quickly saw the gesture for what it was.  He had to blink his eyes repeatedly a few times, and reached up a hand to ruffle the kit’s hair.  Kagome observed the scene out of the corner of her eye and hid her grin.  She too was glad someone was willing to reach out to Inuyasha to make him feel less like a total outcast.  

The trio eventually made their way to Kaede’s hut to await Sango and Miroku’s return.  The old miko calmly regarded the pair, welcomed Kagome back, and passed Inuyasha a meaningful look before continuing about her business.  In her many years, she had seen plenty of youngsters do stupid things in the name of love.  Perhaps the brash hanyou took the cake in that regard, but she didn’t think a tongue-lashing would do any good.  That he was willing to show his face back here again meant that he was serious about atoning for his mistakes.  

Both Inuyasha and Kagome were surprised to see Kohaku inside the hut as well, working over the fire pit on some sort of potion.  Sango had told them weeks ago that he’d survived the final battle with Naraku, but they had honestly forgotten.  He looked up and nodded briefly at them before resuming his work.  Both hanyou got the distinct impression that he was now a young man of few words.  When asked, Kaede informed them that Kohaku had requested to be trained in the art of healing, and she had taken him under her wing.  She called him a remarkably dedicated student with a natural talent for treating people.  She didn’t say it, but everyone in the room knew the reason behind Kohaku’s sudden career change—he was seeking to make amends in some small way for all of the lives he had taken while under Naraku’s control.  It was good to see him readjusting to and accepting life, but his expression was still far too somber for Kagome’s liking.  She wondered when the last time he had smiled was.  

After a short while, Kaede commandeered the fire pit to prepare a meal, and the guests settled down to wait patiently.  Inuyasha sat cross-legged with his back against the wall, Kirara purring under his attentive hand from her place on his leg.  She too sympathized with the hanyou; ‘love’ was so much simpler when one walked on four legs.  She had decided to follow Kagome’s judgment, and since the miko seemed to be trying to coexist peacefully with Inuyasha, then she would too.  Dinner was just being served when Sango and Miroku returned, the former marching over to sit stiffly by Kagome, not even glancing Inuyasha’s way.  The hanyou mused that the cold shoulder was better—and less painful—than the alternative.  Miroku calmly took a seat next to his fiancée, though he too seemed more inclined to ignore the hanyou than to acknowledge him.  That was fine with Inuyasha as well, and he couldn’t say he expected any less.  They wouldn’t be very good friends if they weren’t upset with him about this.  He was sure even Shippou and Kirara hadn’t forgiven him completely yet, though they hid it pretty well.  Dinner was a quiet affair, until Kagome decided that she couldn’t take any more silence and started a conversation.  

“So was that your hut you were building before, Miroku-sama?”  

“Why yes, it was.  Soon that will be the home of myself and my lovely bride!” he declared, wrapping his arm around Sango’s shoulders.  The taijiya blushed and nudged him away, not wanting to let her bitter mood go so easily.  But she could not prevent her eyes from twinkling just a little bit at the thought.  “Technically, however,” Miroku continued, “it is still only my hut, since we cannot live together until we are married.”  

“Oh, that’s right.  You had to delay the wedding for us,” Kagome observed, her voice falling.  “I’m sorry.”  

“Don’t worry about it Kagome-chan,” Sango responded.  “It wasn’t your fault!”

“So when shall we have the wedding?” Miroku interjected, forestalling any further comment from his fiancée.  The three of them looked indecisively at each other for a moment before a soft answer came from a direction no one expected.  

“Tomorrow,” Inuyasha said quietly.  When all eyes in the room turned to him, but no one said anything, he repeated himself.  “Have the wedding tomorrow.”  

Finally Miroku turned to Kaede.  “Could we, Kaede-sama?”  

“Most of the preparations have already been made, Houshi-sama.”  

“I suppose the only problem is the hut.  We’ll never get it done by tomor—”

“I’ll help,” Inuyasha interrupted, and once again he felt the stares of all the hut’s occupants.  “We’ll get it done by tomorrow afternoon.”  

Miroku gazed at the hanyou intently for a moment, then nodded.  “Very well.  I am grateful for the assistance.”  

“Then it’s settled!” Kagome exclaimed excitedly.  “You’re getting married tomorrow, Sango-chan!  Can you believe it?!”  

The slayer was apparently having a tough time with that; she flushed beat red and held her hands to her flaming cheeks.  But it was evident to all that she was thrilled, if not a bit nervous as well.  This was the last night she would sleep alone as a single woman, and she was not sad to see that chapter of her life come to a close.  For Miroku, her sudden shyness was like a beacon, attracting his wandering hand to her backside.  Unfortunately, Kagome saw him coming, and playfully swatted his arm away before he reached his destination.  He shrugged innocently, holding his palms toward the ceiling.  

“Oh, well, I shall just have to wait until tomorrow,” he quipped, earning a deeper blush from his fiancée.  He pouted as she shuffled away from him, now safely out of reach.  Then his grin returned, more lecherous this time, and everyone in the hut knew what he was thinking about.  

“Hentai,” several voices chimed at once, and all the speakers looked at each other and laughed afterward.  When the hut grew quiet once more, Kaede spoke up.  

“Kagome and Inuyasha, you are welcome to stay here for the night.”  

For the first time, Kagome realized how late it had gotten; what little light there remained outside was rapidly fading.  

“Actually, I wanted to go see my family,” she said, glancing in Inuyasha’s direction.  The hanyou grimaced, but then nodded, signaling that he would accompany her.  Better to get all the uncomfortable reunions out of the way in one day, and he had promised himself he would do whatever Kagome asked of him.  They rose to leave and Kagome said goodbye for both of them; he spoke only to pledge to return at first light to help finish construction on Miroku and Sango’s hut.  Relations had calmed just slightly from before, but as he departed he knew they were still quite stormy, and probably would be for some time.  It didn’t really bother him.  He was in this for the long haul; instant absolution was not important.  

He and Kagome made their way to the well in silence, each lost in their own thoughts.  They were both ecstatic for their friends and jealous of their happiness, a feeling which heaped additional guilt on the bevy of negative emotions that seemed to reappear as they ventured into the darkness.  Inuyasha’s anxiety increased as they neared the well, the last of the daylight seeming to take all hope with it as it waned.  So he was understandably shocked when it was actually Kagome who hung back as they approached the ancient wooden structure, her scent spiking with nervousness.  

“What’s wrong, Kagome?  I should be a lot more worried about seeing your family than you.”  

Now it was Kagome’s turn to grimace.  “It’s not that.  It’s just…I’m afraid the well might not work.”  

“What?!  Why wouldn’t it work?” Inuyasha demanded, growing very concerned.  Somehow, he knew he wasn’t going to like the next thing Kagome had to say.  “We have a jewel shard.”  

“I know, but the last time I went through the well, it…spoke to me.  I couldn’t get through the normal way without a jewel shard, so I used my miko powers to force my way through.  But the spirits of the well said the time portal might not work after—where are you going?!”  

But Inuyasha was already gone, disappeared over the lip of the well.  He couldn’t stand the suspense any longer; he had to know whether his actions had caused the portal to be sealed.  He didn’t know what he would do if Kagome could never see her family again because of him.  For a full second, that dreadful hypothetical became reality as he landed at the bottom of the well, his feet touching solid dirt.  Then he felt Kagome land beside him, and blissful weightlessness engulfed both of them.  Relief flooded Inuyasha; he hadn’t trapped Kagome in the past, after all.  But there were still several questions that needed to be answered when they came to rest in the modern era.  

“That was weird,” Kagome declared.  “When I jumped in, you were just standing at the bottom of the well.”  

“I didn’t go through until you landed next to me,” Inuyasha confirmed.  

“But what does that mean?”  

They spent the next five minutes or so trying to answer that question, using trial and error to determine under what circumstances the well would function.  Eventually, they settled on only one possible way.  

“So we have to be together, and have a jewel shard on us, or the well doesn’t work?”  

“Keh.  Probably the Kami trying to prevent me from making the same mistake again,” Inuyasha muttered to himself, though Kagome had no trouble hearing.  “I’m sorry, Kagome.”  

“You already apologized for that.”  

“No, I mean for jeopardizing your link to your home.  What if…what if the well didn’t work anymore?!”  

Kagome didn’t answer; she had none to give.  She didn’t know what she would have done in that situation.  She had always known that it might happen once the Shikon no Tama was purified, but it was still difficult to think about.  But she had also decided that her home was wherever Inuyasha was, whether that was in the future or the past.  Perhaps in other circumstances she would have told him so, but now she didn’t feel comfortable saying such a thing aloud.  Instead, she settled for trying to soothe his anxiety.  

“It’s okay, Inuyasha.  The well does work, just not in the same way as before.”  

“Whenever you want to go through, just tell me and we’ll go,” he swore, surprising Kagome, who found his statement oddly humorous.  

“You could have saved yourself a lot of ‘osuwaris’ if you had adopted that attitude before.”  

Even after weeks of emancipation from the rosary, Inuyasha couldn’t help but cringe slightly at her pronouncement of ‘the word.’  

“Yeah, but I was stupid back then.  I didn’t realize how much of a sacrifice you were making by spending so much time in the past.”  

Kagome stared at him slack-jawed, wondering why he was being so serious.  At the same time, she was touched by his solemn confession.  And whatever the reason, she was grateful that they were speaking so openly to each other.  It was a nice change from the past several days.  

“You know, at first I only came back because I broke the jewel, and as you kept reminding me, it was my duty to help put it back together.”  

Inuyasha’s ears drooped at this, but Kagome smiled at him, reaching over to hesitantly grab his hand.  

“But then, I got to know you better, and we met new friends, and before I knew it I was coming back because I wanted to.  Now I prefer living in the past to going to school.  I’m closer to Miroku and Sango than any of my schoolgirl friends.  The past…is more of a home to me now than this time.  If it weren’t for my family, I don’t know if I’d have a reason to come back here at all.”  

Now it was Inuyasha’s turn to be shocked, but also incredibly humbled.  Kagome had sacrificed so much since she met him, growing from a ditzy teenage girl into a beautiful young woman before his eyes.  It was his privilege to have her in his life; he only wished he had realized that sooner.  Closing the distance between them, he enfolded her in a warm embrace, one which Kagome returned.  

“I promise I’ll do everything I can to make sure you always have a way to see your family.”  

“I know you will,” she whispered into his haori.  Pulling away, she grabbed his hand again.  “Come on, let’s go get this over with.”  

Nodding, Inuyasha allowed her to pull him up the well house steps and out into the night.  The stars were already out, and the ambient light from the surrounding buildings helped to chase away the darkness.  The sounds of car horns and engines reached their ears, and they both wrinkled their noses at the traces of pollution in the atmosphere.  They slowly made their way across the shrine grounds to the front door of the house.  Glancing over her shoulder once, Kagome discovered her mate’s determined expression and opened the door.  

“We’re back,” she called softly as she stepped inside.  Instantly, the pounding of multiple sets of feet on the floor let her know that this was not going to be a quiet reunion.  Mrs. Higurashi appeared first, dashing straight to her daughter and wrapping her arms around her, holding her so tightly that Kagome had trouble breathing.  But she was far too happy to see her mother again to protest.  Finally the older woman released her and dried her tears, allowing the boys their turn to welcome her back.  Her grandfather tried to hide just how relieved he was to see her, but Kagome saw right through him when he hugged her as well.  She even got one from Souta, an unusual occurrence because he was reaching that age where adolescent boys didn’t want to get caught hugging their mothers, let alone big sisters.  Her family had truly been worried about her.  

Inuyasha remained silent throughout the reception, but when Kagome observed her grandfather’s eyes flare in anger, his lips twisting into a scowl, she knew he was no longer going unnoticed.  The old man raised his arm, a single, wizened finger pointing forth, and opened his mouth to speak the full extent of his mind.  But Kagome shifted so she stood between her grandfather and Inuyasha, her eyes pleading with him not to give voice to his rage.  And much like it had with Sango, the tactic worked.  Her grandfather’s fist lowered to his side, and he harrumphed before stalking stiffly away.  

“Souta, why don’t you go get ready for bed,” Mrs. Higurashi spoke softly.  Kagome cringed at the tone of her voice, calm yet leaving no room for argument.  And Souta was smart enough not to provide one, no matter how much he wanted to stay.  It was a couple hours before his bedtime, so he knew his mother just wanted him out of earshot.  When he was gone, Mrs. Higurashi turned to her daughter.  

“Why don’t you go have a bath, dear?” she said in the same serenely forceful tone.  Like her brother, Kagome didn’t think she was in any position to object.  Stopping her grandfather was one thing, but she felt her mother had a right to talk to Inuyasha in private.  Sorry Inuyasha, but you’re on your own.  He would be fine; she didn’t think her mother was out for blood.  When Kagome left, Inuyasha suddenly felt very alone.  He set his jaw, determined not to flinch or shy away from the maelstrom that was sure to come flying his way at any moment.  But after a few moments of studying him, Mrs. Higurashi turned and made her way into the kitchen, motioning for him to follow.  He did so, and stood silently while she made herself a cup of tea and sat down, only following suit when she gestured to the chair opposite her.  For several anxious minutes he watched her sip her tea, wondering when she was going to say something.  He was just about to start the conversation himself when she set down her cup and looked him square in the eye.  

“I’ve had a lot of time to think about how this encounter would go,” she finally said.  “I told myself I wouldn’t yell at you or slap you or throw you out, but…it’s difficult.  I’m still really upset.  But Kagome wants us all to try to forgive you, so I will.  It won’t be easy, though.  I mean, you…you!”  She sighed, effectively dissipating enough of her rising temper to regain her composure.  “But you know what you did.  And I’m sure you know how stupid it was,” she stated, satisfied with his forceful nod.  “And you wouldn’t be here unless you were truly sorry and wanted to make things right.”  Again, he nodded.  “So if Kagome still wants you in her life, I can’t stop you from being together.  But I’m warning you, I never want to see my daughter like that again.  If you do anything else to cause her so much pain, I swear I will never let you see her again.  Even if it means taking truly drastic measures, I will protect my daughter from you.  Is that clear?”  

“Yes,” Inuyasha replied, not surprised by Mrs. Higurashi’s ultimatum.  He would have expected nothing less, and in actuality he was relieved that she was willing to let him see her daughter again at all.  Her concern, however, was unnecessary.  “I promise I will never hurt Kagome that badly again.  And if I do, you won’t have to worry about me coming back.”  

Mrs. Higurashi gazed at him searchingly, weighing his words and the truth behind his vow.  

“Fair enough,” she answered at last, rising from the table and walking out of the kitchen.  Inuyasha was surprised at the suddenness of her departure, but they really had nothing else to say to each other.  His actions, on the other hand, would come under close scrutiny for the foreseeable future.  Eventually he decided he would be more comfortable sitting alone in Kagome’s room, and made his way upstairs.  Kagome was still in the bath, which left him a few quiet moments to gather his thoughts and reflect on the day.  It had gone about as well as he could have hoped.  Kagome’s interference had saved him from any physical or verbal lashings, and everyone was going to try to forgive him in time.  They had welcomed him back on a probational basis; now he just had to prove he was worthy of being part of their, and Kagome’s, lives once more.  

A soft noise drew his attention to the doorway, where he spied Souta’s head peaking out around the frame.  Spotted, the boy moved to stand in the entryway.  

“I always knew you’d come back,” he declared, and Inuyasha was touched by his faith.  But Souta didn’t look at him the same way as before; much of the admiration which had always reflected in his eyes was gone.  It appeared that was something else Inuyasha would have to earn back.  

“Thanks, Souta,” he said.  The kid hesitated, looking as though he wanted to say more, but then decided against it and went on his way.  Kagome entered a few minutes later, already clad in her pajamas, which she had taken into the bathroom with her.  Inuyasha was grateful for her thoughtfulness; they didn’t need another awkward moment right now.  She paused in the doorway, obviously surprised to see him.  He was sitting on her bed, but quickly moved onto the floor.  Kagome raised a hand to cover her yawn; it had been a long day.  She strode over to her bed and lay down on the comforter, not ready to go to sleep yet.  They still had a few things to talk about.  

“So how did it go?” she asked.  

“Fine,” he replied shortly.  

Kagome frowned; she had been hoping for more than a one-word answer, but she knew better than to press him.  So she was understandably shocked when Inuyasha elaborated on his own.  

“She basically told me that this was my last chance, but that if you wanted to be with me, then she could try to forgive me.”  

Kagome nodded, grateful that her mother was largely deferring to her judgment on this.  It would be difficult for everyone, but she believed that given enough time, they could all put this behind them.  

“Are you planning to go to your school in the morning?” Inuyasha inquired, changing the subject.  

“Uh, tomorrow’s Monday.  So yeah, I guess so.”  

“What about building Miroku and Sango’s hut?  I can’t go back without you, remember?”  

“Oh, right.  I forgot about that.  Getting everything ready for the wedding is more important, so I’ll skip school,” Kagome responded.  Inuyasha nodded, relieved that he wouldn’t have an argument on his hands.  He really didn’t want to break his promise to Miroku.  

“I’ll wake you up bright and early.”  

“That’s fine.”  

A tense silence ensued until Inuyasha spoke again.    “Kagome?”  

“Yeah?”  

“Where…what do you want to do now?”  

Kagome thought about it.  On the one hand, she knew they still had a quest to complete; the Shikon no Tama wasn’t going to collect and purify itself.  But on the other hand, the idea of going off alone with Inuyasha at this point made her uneasy.  She didn’t think that was the best thing for their relationship right now.  Besides, it had been awhile since she’d spent quality time with her family here and her friends in the feudal era.  It would be nice to catch up.  And speaking of catching up, she was surely far behind on her schoolwork, a situation that needed remedying.  

“I’d like to spend some time here with my family and with our friends in the past.  I think we can put the jewel quest on hold for a little while.”  

“Fine with me,” Inuyasha answered, and he meant it.  He too didn’t feel comfortable gallivanting off alone with Kagome right now.  Staying here would also give him a chance to begin the difficult task of repairing relationships with people on both sides of the well, starting tomorrow by building Miroku and Sango the nicest hut anyone in the village had ever seen!  

Yawning again, Kagome got up and shut the door, turning off the light on the way back to her bed.  As she nestled underneath the covers, she felt comfortable enough to say something which hadn’t been said in several nights.  

“Goodnight, Inuyasha.”  

“G-goodnight, Kagome.”  

Inuyasha permitted himself a small smile as her breathing evened out.  He had made it through the day, and he couldn’t help but feel that things would soon take a turn for the better.  
Converting /tmp/php7BZpVK to /dev/stdout