InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Metamorphosis ❯ The Bonds Humans Make ( Chapter 53 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Disclaimer: I don’t own Inuyasha or any of the publicly known characters, plot, etc.  I’m just renting them from Rumiko Takahashi, Viz, etc.   I do own the plot of this story and any original characters I’ve created.  I will make no money from this fic; I write for my own enjoyment and the enjoyment of my readers.


The Bonds Humans Make


Someone was jostling him, he realized as he came partly awake.  Fuck that, he thought, rolling away from whoever dared to interrupt his slumber.  

“Inuyasha!  Wake up!”  

Now, under normal circumstances, he’d probably just groan and hope Kagome would allow him a few more moments.  He didn’t sleep in very often, so what was the problem?  But this time, the edge of panic in her voice roused him instantly.  

“What?” he mumbled groggily, sitting up and blearily gazing at the woman beside him.  The amount of porcelain skin he saw immediately peaked his interest, and he quickly blinked away the cobwebs.  She was kneeling naked before him, but she held her clothes in front of her, preserving her modesty.  He frowned.  Screw modesty!  If she was going to wake him up, he wanted an early morning repeat of some of last night’s activities.  Last night…

A silly grin sprouted on his features.  Kagome had agreed to marry him last night.  And then they had engaged in some of the most passionate lovemaking their relatively short relationship had seen.  Repeatedly.  It was no wonder he had wanted to sleep in.  She was saying something to him again, but didn’t she know he had a hard time listening to her when she was naked?  

“What?” he asked, to which Kagome growled under her breath.  

“I said, Shippou-chan’s coming!”  

“So wha…oh!” he exclaimed, hurriedly grabbing his clothing up off the grass, covered in a layer of morning dew.  There was no time to change; they had slept under Goshinboku and the kit was already too close, judging by his scent.  They dashed into the woods and hid behind a large tree, each feeling fairly foolish.  But it was better than letting the young fox see them together.  Miroku would never let them hear the end of that if word got out.  

Less than a minute later, Shippou skipped into view.  He appeared to be involved in some sort of imaginative game, entertaining himself with some of his kitsune toys.  He probably wasn’t even aware that he had been heading toward Goshinboku.  Suddenly he stopped, sniffing the air as his eyes widened in alarm.  He glanced at the spot where they had slept, seeing the matted grass and the sharp lines in the dirt obviously made by claws.  Then he turned and sped back the way he’d come.  

“Oh, Kami,” Kagome said, holding her head in her hands.  Inuyasha made no reply, busy as he was ogling her bare backside.  He remained at that delightful pastime until the clearing of a feminine throat drew his gaze upward over the milky expanse of Kagome’s back.  She tried to glare reproachfully at him, but couldn’t quite mask her secret amusement.  

“Get dressed, you horny dog,” she told him, moving to the other side of the tree to do the same.  Inuyasha smirked, definitely not taking her comment as an insult.  But the lustful canine was still mostly sated from last night’s midnight feast, so he set about clothing himself.  He heard Kagome muttering to herself over the rustling of their garments, berating their close call this morning.  

“What’s the big deal?” Inuyasha asked dismissively.  “So Shippou smelled you, me, and sex.  I’m sure he’s caught that scent a few times living with Miroku and Sango.”  

“I know,” Kagome admitted reluctantly.  “But we should still be more careful.  Let’s try not to fall asleep naked in the middle of the forest again.”  

“Why not?  It’s my forest.”  

“Hmph.  Well, fine,” she teased, “next time I’ll go sleep inside, and you can stay out in your forest by yourself.”  

“Keh.”  

They headed straight for the well after dressing, figuring that their next meeting with Shippou would be a little less awkward if it came later.  And as Kagome pointed out on the way, they had to inform her family of their engagement.  

“Your mom already knows,” Inuyasha said.  

“She does?”  

“Yeah, I…asked her first,” he confessed, not sure how Kagome would react.  Was this one of those things women liked to surprise other women with?  Sango didn’t know, but would Kagome have wanted to surprise her mother?  He needn’t have worried.  

“That was thoughtful of you,” she replied sincerely.  “What would you have done if she said no?  She did approve, didn’t she?”  

“Yeah, but I would’ve asked you anyway.  At least then I knew where I stood.  She gave me some advice, about rings and shit.  I, uh,” he mumbled, rubbing the back of his neck sheepishly, “I think I was supposed to go down on one knee.  Whoops.”  

Kagome laughed.  “That’s okay.  It was perfect just the way it was,” she declared, taking his hand and squeezing it gently.  He returned the gesture, and both wore contented smiles as they stepped down into the time vortex.  

“Hey, Inuyasha,” Kagome said contemplatively, stopping in the middle of the shrine grounds.  

“Yeah?”  

“We decided we’re going to get married, but when?”  

“Hadn’t thought about it.”

“We could do it now,” Kagome suggested, trying and failing to keep her tone neutral.  “We don’t have any close relatives to invite.  And even if we did, we would probably have to keep it in-house anyway.  We can’t make it official in the eyes of the State because you don’t have any papers.  As far as they’re concerned, you don’t exist.  But I know Jii-chan would love to perform the ceremony.  Is that okay with you?”  

“Keh.  He can’t do shit against youkai, but he is a priest, I guess.  It’s fine with me.”  

“So you want to have the ceremony now?  We could always do it later when we visit.”  

“Now’s good,” Inuyasha answered, seeing no reason to wait.  

“Okay.”  

“Okay.”

Silence reigned for a few seconds until Kagome started jumping up and down and squealing excitedly.  

“Come on!  Let’s go tell Mama!” she shouted, dashing inside the house.  Inuyasha grinned and shook his head, following at a much more sedate pace.  The women were already hugging when he arrived, and both women were bouncing, though he couldn’t tell whether Kagome was simply lifting her mother off her feet in her enthusiasm.  Next, he and Mrs. Higurashi shared an embrace which, instead of being awkward, made him feel fully welcomed into the family.  

“What’s all the ruckus?” came her grandfather’s voice as he entered the room.  Kagome told him and asked him to preside over the ceremony in the same breath, to which, after a few nervous moments, the old man replied that he would be honored.  He also sent Inuyasha a glare that told the hanyou everything he needed to know about what was expected of him as Kagome’s husband.  Inuyasha held the gaze and nodded, confident that he would meet and exceed those expectations.  

Mrs. Higurashi broached the subject of rings, and Kagome protested—perhaps predictably so—that they were expensive and unnecessary.  But her mother was having none of it; she might not be able to afford a huge diamond engagement ring, but a pair of wedding bands was well within her budget.  Kagome eventually relented, and it was decided that the three of them would go shopping after lunch.  

They were on their fourth jewelry store before Kagome and Inuyasha finally found something they loved.  Two gold bands, each inlayed with thin, winding streaks of scarlet and indigo twisting together in a harmonious design.  Unusual perhaps, but that was why the rings were perfect for them.  One glance in each other’s direction was all it took to come to a consensus.  And to Kagome’s relief, the rings were affordable, and wouldn’t empty out her mother’s checking account.  The clerk complimented them on their choice and sized their fingers; fortunately, he had both sizes in stock.  

“That will be 182,000 yen, please,” he said cheerily.  Mrs. Higurashi froze, her mouth falling open.  “Is something the matter, ma’am?”  

“N-no,” she replied, shaking her head, but the look of bewilderment remained.  “Excuse us for a moment.”  She pulled Inuyasha and Kagome aside as the clerk looked on in confusion.  

“What is it, Mama?”  

“Do you remember that note I brought home from the bank, the one that came with the anonymous deposit into my account?”  

Kagome gasped.  “Oh, Kami.  It’s the exact same amount!”  

“So what does that mean?” Inuyasha interjected, not liking any of the possible explanations.  

“The note told me to only spend the money when a ‘purpose made itself known.’  Was this what the writer was talking about?”  

“It could just be a coincidence,” Kagome stated quickly, though it was clear she didn’t really believe that.  None of them did.  But the only alternative was that someone from the past, a past they had already lived by the late 20th century, knew them and wanted to pay for their rings.  That was the kind of circular, convoluted logic that gave people headaches.  Time was a strange phenomenon.  

So in order to avoid migraines, they resolved not to think about it anymore.  There was no way to find out who the mysterious donor was, and guessing would do them no good.  Mrs. Higurashi proceeded to purchase the rings, receiving a slightly raised eyebrow from the clerk as he realized that Inuyasha was not paying.  But he was far too professional to do more than that; belittling customers was bad for business.  

Souta was home from school by the time they returned to the Higurashi residence, and it was clear from his casual greeting that his grandfather had not informed him of the upcoming wedding.  Inuyasha placed a hand on Kagome’s shoulder to keep her from spilling the news, shaking his head meaningfully.  He couldn’t provide for her in this time, and he couldn’t buy her a fancy ring, but he could at least do her only brother the courtesy of telling him of their plans in person, man to man.  And Souta was a man.  A young one, but still a man.  He possessed the ability to be mature beyond his years when he wanted to, as Inuyasha had seen more than once.  Of course, at other times he was just a kid.  Inuyasha also knew the kid looked up to him, and would appreciate the private conversation.  

“What’s up, Inu-no-oniichan?” Souta asked as he followed Inuyasha upstairs to his room.  The hanyou grinned at the nickname.  ‘Dog brother.’  How fitting.  He took a seat cross-legged on the bed, and Souta sat down beside him.  

“Look, kid,” he said, deciding not to beat around the bush.  “Your sister and I are getting married.  I just wanted you to know.”  

Souta’s jaw dropped slightly, but he quickly recovered.  For a brief moment, there was uncertainty in his gaze, but then he nodded in acceptance.  

“I’m glad.  I think Kagome’s always dreamed of getting married.  I know you’ll honor the commitment.”  Souta cracked a goofy grin, all the seriousness vanishing from his demeanor.  “And hey!  Now you really will be my Inu-no-oniichan.”  

Inuyasha rolled his eyes, then ruffled the kid’s hair.  An hour later, Kagome went upstairs to find them playing videogames on Souta’s TV.  Inuyasha was, of course, getting his ass thoroughly handed to him, but he seemed to be taking the defeats in stride and having a good time.  For a few minutes she just stood in the doorway, watching the two boys as they completely ignored her and immersed themselves in the game.  Finally, Inuyasha raised his arms in exultation, celebrating his first victory.  Kagome wandered back downstairs, shaking her head at Souta’s cries for a rematch.  Inuyasha should probably have gotten out while he was ahead, because she was fairly certain her brother had gone easy on him.  It wouldn’t happen again.  

It didn’t, judging by Souta’s triumphant demeanor when the boys emerged from their cave, lured by the promise of food.  Inuyasha scowled, but Kagome could tell it was mostly fake.  What little of his frustration actually existed was mollified by Souta’s statement that none of the characters in the game would stand a chance against him in real life.  

“Ooh!  Wouldn’t it be cool if they made a game about Inuyasha?” (1)

“No, Souta,” Mrs. Higurashi joked, “I’d have to turn off the power to get you to go to sleep at night.”  

She asked Inuyasha and Kagome to remain in the kitchen after dinner, and as soon as the table was cleared, wedding preparations began.  A formal date and time was decided upon: two days from now around noon.  Mrs. Higurashi agreed that there were no relatives to invite, especially from her late husband’s side.  In addition to the time constraints, any guests not already aware of the extraordinary circumstances of this union would ask questions, questions that could not be answered without divulging closely guarded secrets.  Kagome’s friends had reacted well enough to the truth, but only because they had known her for years.  Those relatives that did occasionally visit the Higurashi shrine only did so infrequently, and it could hardly be said that any of them ‘knew’ Kagome.  

Speaking of Eri, Yuka, and Ayumi, Kagome decided to invite all three of them to the ceremony.  It would give them some closure in case she and Inuyasha never saw them again.  They would know that she was happy, bound by human custom to the man she loved.  No one else would be invited.  She didn’t really know anyone else at school, except for Hojo, and they had never been that close, fortunately as it turned out.  And he was definitely not coming; there was no reason to risk even a little jealousy on her mate’s part over a casual acquaintance.  

The subject of food came up next, with Mrs. Higurashi offering to hire a caterer.  Kagome flatly declined; with only seven people in attendance, whatever she and her mother could whip up that morning and the night before would suffice.  Inuyasha offered to help as well, but after sharing a nervous glance, the women assured him that they were all set.  Neither of them wanted to embark upon the adventure of showing Inuyasha how to cook in the modern era.  Over a campfire he was just fine, but on a stovetop was another story.  Mrs. Higurashi knew she would have enough to teach Kagome already; her daughter was behind on the learning curve because of her continual absences.  It would do no good to catch up now, either; there weren’t many stoves in the feudal era.  

Mrs. Higurashi brought up clothing next, and when it became clear that Kagome had no idea what they were going to wear, her mother dragged her off to some unseen part of the house.  Inuyasha sat quietly in the kitchen while they were gone, taking the time to simply reflect on his life, his past, and everything he hoped his future would hold.  As to the immediate future, he hoped to catch an early glimpse of Kagome in her wedding attire.  He would be disappointed; she returned in her normal clothes.  But her face glowed with joy and wonder, so apparently she liked what she had seen.  Her dress seemed to be a non-issue, and he thought his clothing was as well until Mrs. Higurashi motioned for him to follow her upstairs.  She led him into her bedroom, closing the door behind him as he entered.  

“Oh, Inuyasha,” she said with a blissful sigh, “she looked so beautiful in my old shiro-maku.  (2)  I wish you could have seen her face as she put it on.  I don’t think I’ve ever seen her so excited.  Thank you for doing this for her, for both of you.”  

Inuyasha nodded, sensing that she hadn’t brought him all the way up here just to say that.  Sure enough, Mrs. Higurashi continued.  

“Now, what are you going to wear to the ceremony?  Do you want to wear your fire-rat clothes or something more formal?”  

“Whatever Kagome wants.”  

Mrs. Higurashi chuckled to herself.  “I thought you might say that, so I already asked her.  She said it was up to you, but when I really pressed her she said she would rather see you in something more formal.”  

“That’s fine.  Maybe one of the villagers will let me borrow something.”  

“There’s no need,” Mrs. Higurashi replied, her voice barely above a whisper.  She walked over to the closet and knelt, pulling out a very old, very dusty wooden chest.  She opened it hesitantly, her hands shaking as she reached inside, fingering the fabric contained within.  It had been more than a decade since the last time she opened this particular chest.  

“I was wondering,” she said softly, standing and facing him with the bundle clutched tightly to her bosom.  “Would you like to wear my late husband’s wedding clothes?”  

The figurative ‘thud’ of his jaw hitting the floor was almost audible to Inuyasha.  He stared at her, a wave of humility and gratitude passing through him.  He cleared his throat several times, unable to say anything due to the sudden dryness of his mouth.  Finally, he bowed deeply.  

“I would be honored.”   

Mrs. Higurashi choked back a sob, handing him the bundle.  She went into the bathroom to dry her tears and allow Inuyasha to change.  When she returned, nothing could have prepared her for the image that greeted her.  Inuyasha, her future son-in-law, standing proudly in her husband’s robes, his eyes shining with anticipation and the promise of the husband he would become.  Mrs. Higurashi managed a watery smile, the pride in her gaze enhancing Inuyasha’s self-esteem more than any victory in battle ever had.  They came together in a heartfelt embrace, rogue tears falling from both of them.  Inuyasha could almost imagine his own mother was holding him again, that those arms so lovingly wrapped around him were the same pair he had grown up with.  He squeezed her tighter for a fleeting moment, then released her.  

Mrs. Higurashi pulled back, studying him contemplatively, hesitant.  When she spoke she did so cautiously, not wanting to offend him.  

“Inuyasha, I don’t know how you feel about this, and you don’t have to do it, but…I would like you to call me ‘Okaa-san’ from now on.”  

Inuyasha stared, utterly humbled for the second time in ten minutes.  Allowing him to marry her daughter was one thing, but actually requesting him to call her ‘mother’ was a whole new level of acceptance.  She was actually proud to call a hanyou ‘son.’  That was the humbling part.  What surprised him was that the idea produced in him only positive emotions.  His birth mother held a very dear place in his heart, and as a child he had sworn that no one would ever take her place.  So far he had kept that vow.  But with Mrs. Higurashi, this amazing woman who so reminded him of his own mother, he knew his heart was big enough for both of them.  He didn’t have a choice but to break his promise; he already had two mothers, and nothing could change that.  He bowed again, a show of respect he did not often utilize.  

“I am honored…Okaa-san.”  

Mrs. Higurashi smiled happily.  “Get changed…son.”  

She closed the door behind her, leaving him to remove her husband’s clothes and neatly fold them before carefully placing them back in the wooden chest.  That was their home; he was merely borrowing them for one occasion.  

They concluded their wedding planning for the day soon after, and the five of them sat down to watch TV as a family.  The three humans soon trickled off to bed one after the other, leaving Inuyasha and Kagome lounging on the couch by themselves.  Neither of them were tired; the exhilaration of the afternoon and evening had yet to wear off.  But they weren’t in the mood to do any more than hold each other, so they did just that, lying down together on the plush cushions as a few hours of TV programs had their desired and drowsy effects.  Too lazy and comfortable to go up to bed, they grabbed a blanket from the back of the couch and draped it over themselves.  The last thing Kagome did before nodding off was push the power button on the remote.  

* * *

Kagome woke soon after dawn the next morning, mostly if not completely refreshed.  She resisted the urge to stretch, not wanting to wake the slumbering hanyou behind her.  She was sure he would be up soon anyway, but there was no hurry.  They would go through the well this morning and inform their feudal era friends of the upcoming ceremony.  A troubling thought occurred to her: their friends in the past would all likely want to attend.  She and Inuyasha had gone to Miroku and Sango’s wedding, after all.  Perhaps a dual ceremony was in order, since she definitely had to have one in the modern era for her family.  A wedding…tomorrow.  She was getting married tomorrow.  She practically shook with excitement.  Although, perhaps ‘practically’ was a misleading adverb.  

“It ain’t ‘til tomorrow, K’gome,” Inuyasha mumbled groggily, a hint of amusement in his tone.  

“Sorry,” she said, rolling over and kissing him apologetically on the lips.  

“S’ok,” he replied, leaning in for a better taste.  Her arms slid around his neck as he moved to hover over her, one of his legs finding its way between hers.  Things were just getting heated when the clearing of a throat completely shattered the invisible cocoon they had constructed around themselves.  They looked over to see a slightly embarrassed Mrs. Higurashi standing at the bottom of the stairs.  

“Just make sure you cut that out or take it elsewhere before Souta comes down for school,” she told them with a wink, heading for the front door to grab the morning paper.  Kagome groaned as Inuyasha flopped onto his back, his budding erection shriveling as if someone had dumped a bucket of ice water on his loins.  

“First Shippou-chan and now Mama,” Kagome moaned, covering her face with both hands.  

“Keh.  Why didn’t you remind me your mother was such an early riser?”  

Kagome glared playfully at him.  “It’s kinda hard to think when you’re kissing me like that.”  

“I know what you mean,” he replied, his ego swelling nonetheless.  

They headed directly for the well, only calling a brief goodbye to Kagome’s mother on their way out.  They would be back soon enough, and it was too early in the morning for a second awkward moment.  Though they belatedly realized that such a thing might be unavoidable as they approached the home of their friends.  Fortunately, Shippou had apparently forgotten all about what he had stumbled across twenty-four hours ago.  He was just waking up, and greeted them with a tired wave.  Miroku also emerged from the doorway, still stretching the kinks out, and froze when he saw them.  

“Ah, Inuyasha, Kagome-sama, what brings you here so early?”  

“Shut up, bouzu,” Inuyasha replied, his cheeks already pinking slightly from the attention.  “We got news.”  

“News?  That sounds important,” Miroku commented, enjoying the hanyou’s discomfiture.  Especially since he had a feeling he knew what the ‘news’ was, recalling their conversation the other night.  He was fairly certain Sango remained in the dark, however.  Her reaction would be most interesting.  He was glad he had decided to keep Inuyasha’s words confidential.  

There was a sudden flurry of motion behind him, and he barely managed to step out of the way to avoid being bowled over by Sango, who dashed to the edge of the forest and went down on her hands and knees.  The sounds of her retching made everyone cringe.  Miroku sighed, his mood souring with remorse.  Kagome smiled sympathetically, patting him on the shoulder before going over to check on Sango.  

“Is she sick?” Inuyasha asked, more concerned than he normally would be because of her pregnancy.  In fact, why didn’t anyone else seem worried?  

“Not exactly,” Miroku answered.  “It’s just morning sickness.”  When all he got was a blank look, he endeavored to explain.  “Early in pregnancy, it’s natural for women to feel nauseous and even vomit regularly.  Even though Sango feels sick quite often, she has been managing to limit the vomiting to once or twice a day.  Kaede-sama says it’s because she exercises regularly.”  

Inuyasha nodded, responding to Miroku’s clarification with a truly profound statement.  

“Pregnancy sucks.”  

Miroku chuckled.  “So true, my friend.  The morning sickness means it’s no fun even when the woman is still thin.”  

Inuyasha frowned.  “No fun,” huh?  That had him wondering about a certain definition of ‘fun.’  Miroku’s definition, not his; he was not the pervert here!  But still, he was painfully curious now, and since no one else was within earshot if he spoke quietly…

“Bouzu, can you still…you know…”

“Make love to my beautiful wife?” Miroku finished, more than happy to fill in that particular blank.  

“Yeah…that.”  

“Kaede-sama said we can continue to have normal relations.  Obviously, I am careful not to be too rough with her.  Sometimes Sango openly wishes it were otherwise, but I use my iron will to maintain my steady—”

“Alright, that’s enough of that!” Inuyasha yelled, blanching at the mental images.  

“Telling perverted stories again, eh, Houshi-sama?” Sango croaked as she approached.  “Hey, Inuyasha,” she greeted.  There were dark circles under her eyes, and her face was pale, but she appeared otherwise strong and healthy.  Kagome led her past the two males back into the house.  

“I thought she was gonna call you by your name from now on?”  

Miroku grinned wryly.  “She usually does.  She only calls me ‘Houshi-sama’ when she thinks I’m being a lecher.  It’s kind of an inside joke.”  

“Heh.  At least she’s still got a sense of humor.  I’d be royally pissed at you if I were her.”  

“Oh, I do get some of that,” Miroku replied, wincing slightly.  “But Sango is pretty even-keeled most of the ti—”

“Quit talkin’ about me and get your asses inside!” the slayer bellowed, the sheer volume of the cry causing several birds to take off from a nearby tree.  

Miroku sweatdropped.  “Sometimes I think being pregnant gave her better hearing,” he whispered.  But since neither male wanted to risk earning any more of her wrath, they wordlessly did as they were told.  Both women glared at them as they entered, Kagome because her ears were still ringing.  Inuyasha shrugged as if to say ‘tell her to be quieter next time.’  But Kagome was not about to do that; she liked her head where it was, thank you.  

“Now tell us about this news of yours,” Sango said, calmer now that her stomach had settled somewhat and no one was gossiping about her.  Inuyasha glanced at Kagome and nodded, knowing she would really want to be the one to deliver the news anyway.  

“Inuyasha and I,” the miko began coolly before suddenly blurting, “are getting married tomorrow!”  

“Congratulations,” Sango answered with a genuine smile, getting up to hug her friend.  Feminine screeching displays were not the slayer’s thing, and all those with sensitive hearing were grateful for it.  Still, Kagome quirked an eyebrow at her as she pulled away.  

“You don’t seem very surprised,” she observed, somewhat disappointed.  

“I’m not.  It figured something was going on, especially since my husband was trying to be oh so elusive the other night about what he and Inuyasha discussed.”

Miroku laughed sheepishly and rubbed the back of his neck.  “Saw right through me, eh, Sango?”  

“Yep.  You can’t hide anything from me, Houshi-sama,” she stated, emphasizing the title and passing him a subtle smirk.  

“I didn’t see anything coming, Kagome,” Shippou chimed in, accompanied by a ‘mew’ of agreement from Kirara.  Being a child and a youkai, he didn’t really understand what the big deal was with marriage, but if it made them happier he was all for it.  

“We’re all happy for you,” Miroku declared.  

“Thanks everyone,” Kagome replied.  “I just wish you guys could attend.  We could have a second ceremony here afterwa—”

“That won’t be necessary, Kagome-sama.  A wedding is something special that two individuals should experience only once.”  

“Are you sure?  Inuyasha and I don’t mind.”  

“We’re sure, Kagome-chan.  You two should get married in front of your family.  Don’t worry about us.  We’ve had the privilege of seeing you grow from reluctant allies to nervous lovers to the functioning couple you are now.  We would certainly go to the ceremony if we could, but it’s not the end of the world that we can’t.”  

“And besides,” Miroku added with a lecherous inflection, “it is only fitting that you be joined in the human fashion in Kagome’s time, since you were joined in the youkai custom here.  Although, come to think of it, we didn’t get to attend that ‘ceremony’ either.  Care to reenact it for us?  That would probably be more interesting than a wedd—”

*Bonk!*

“Ow.  Sango, what ever was that for?”  

“Don’t even try acting innocent,” she ordered, playfully threatening him with another whack from the water jug.  “Inuyasha would’ve hit you harder than that.”  

It was true; the hanyou would have given the monk a sizeable lump on the head.  He briefly considered coming back with a snide remark that the bouzu just wanted some pointers, but quickly thought better of it.  The last thing he wanted was to get into a perverted trash-talking contest with the hentai houshi.  

“It is amusing to make them blush, though,” Miroku said to his wife.  

“Agreed.”  

“Um, guys?  We’re still here,” Kagome spoke up, her cheeks still slightly pinked.  Miroku had just proposed, albeit jokingly, that she and Inuyasha appear in the feudal era version of voyeurism porn.  How could she not be a little embarrassed?  

“No we ain’t,” Inuyasha declared, standing and marching out the door.  “Let’s go, Kagome.”  

“Oh, come now, Inuyasha,” Miroku called.  “Why don’t you stay?  Perhaps you could benefit from a critique by the practiced eye of an expert lov—”

*Bonk!*  

* * *

Next they visited Kaede, who reacted to their news with the pleased wisdom of someone who expected this all along.  

“It is about time,” she said.  Like Miroku and Sango, she too turned down their offer to have a second ceremony in the feudal era.  The villagers all at least knew that Kagome hailed from a faraway land, and would except that she and Inuyasha were married just as they would for any human couple that came into their village.  The fact that they were both hanyou would only disturb a few individuals, if any at all.  Of that Kaede was certain.  

“Congratulations, Inuyasha-sama, Kagome-sama,” Kohaku stated formally from his spot by the fire.  After a quick bow, he went right back to his potion or whatever he was working on.  That didn’t bother Inuyasha; he had never known Kohaku to be a user of many words.  But as Kagome and Kaede began discussing something which he easily tuned out, he studied the young taijiya.  The slumped posture, the dull eyes, the sluggish movements…Kohaku was carrying a heavy weight on his shoulders.  As someone who had once borne similar burdens, he understood.  Time alone had not worked to heal his own wounds, but perhaps it would for Kohaku.  

Although, maybe things weren’t as bad as he thought.  He was encouraged when a cute young girl, probably about Kohaku’s age, popped into the hut and glanced admiringly at him.  She obviously liked him for some insane reason only a female mind could fathom.  

“Kaede-sama, can Kohaku-kun come out and play?” she asked politely.  

“Go ahead, Kohaku,” the old miko replied.  “We’ve done enough for today.”  

“I’d rather stay inside today,” the boy answered in that depressing monotone of his, and the girl went away unhappy.  Kaede sighed.  This wasn’t the first time Kohaku had refused such a request.  In fact, a couple times she had flat out ordered him to go spend time with people his own age, but he always remained as distant as possible, participating just enough so he could say he obeyed her.  She was trying to get him to come out of his shell, and he was fighting her every step of the way.  She sighed again, shaking her head in exasperation.  I’m getting too old for this.  

Over on the other side of the room, a storm was brewing.  Inuyasha’s eyebrows twitched and his teeth ground together audibly.  A pretty girl had just asked Kohaku to go hang out with her, and he said no?  How dare he?!  That was a slap in the face to a hanyou who in his youth would have given almost anything to have been on the receiving end of such a request.  What gave this little shit the right to refuse the companionship of friends and family whom he was blessed to have?  He very nearly smacked Kohaku in the head, but that would do no good.  Still, things needed to change, or Kohaku might just get the lonely existence he desired.  That girl would stop coming around soon enough, and eventually all the other people who cared about him would give up as well.  Even Sango’s resolve would be tested.  With the support system Kohaku had around him, it would be a disgusting shame if that happened.  Right now, he was shunning the same type of company a young hanyou had craved, and it pissed said now grown-up hanyou off to no end.  

Rising stiffly to his feet, Inuyasha unceremoniously grabbed the back of Kohaku’s robes and began literally dragging him out of the hut.  The boy’s eyes widened in alarm, but apparently he didn’t have it in him to protest.  Kagome had no such inhibitions; she had sensed her fiancée’s rising ire, and was more than a little confused.  

“Inuyasha!  Where are you—”

“Man talk, Kagome,” was his growled reply.  Then he was gone, leaving the miko to ponder whether or not to go after them.  She decided against it, trusting Inuyasha not to overdo it.  She hoped he could talk some sense into the boy, since no one else had been able to get through to him.  

A fair distance away, Inuyasha finally dropped Kohaku on his back and after marching a few more paces, turned to face him.  His blood had cooled only slightly during the storm off, but he was confident the only damage he would do to the boy would be verbal.  Kohaku picked himself off the ground, gazing at him warily but saying nothing.  That was fine with Inuyasha; he had a few things to get off his chest.  

“What the fuck is wrong with you, Kohaku?!”  

The young slayer appeared genuinely perplexed.  “What do you mean?”  

“That girl!  How could you possibly turn her down?!”  

Now Kohaku looked at him as if he was stupid.  “I didn’t feel like going outside today, that’s all.”  

“Bullshit.”  

“Excuse me?” Kohaku replied, some indignation leaking into his tone.  Good, Inuyasha thought, if he gets pissed I might be able to get somewhere.  

“You heard me.  You’re too busy feeling sorry for yourself to enjoy life.  You’ve got a pretty girl with her eye on you and you’re too much of a pussy to make a move.”  It dawned on him during his tirade that he was being a bit of a hypocrite, especially about being a pussy when it came to approaching women.  But that didn’t matter so much as getting his point across.  He hoped Kohaku would get angry and respond in kind, but instead he just sat there contemplatively.  And that was what was wrong with this whole situation; the boy had no fight left.  He had nearly given up on himself; probably the only thing keeping him going was the love and support of his family and friends.  

“What would you have me do?” Kohaku whispered, his voice cracking with something akin to desperation.  “Go flirt with girls, get married, have kids?  Live a happy life?  How is that justice for all the people I murdered?”  

Inuyasha sighed.  Kohaku had probably been told a thousand times that what he did wasn’t his fault because he’d been under Naraku’s control, but it was clear the boy wasn’t buying it.  A different approach was required, and Inuyasha needed to look no further than his own memories.  

“Look, kid, I know what you’re going through.”  

“How could you possibly underst—”

“Because I’m a murderer too.”  

Kohaku’s jaw dropped, his eyes glued to the hanyou’s face, looking for any sign of untruth.  He saw only solemn honesty, prompting him to clear his throat and struggle to come up with an appropriate response.  

“W-why?”  

For a moment Inuyasha remained silent, breathing deeply before launching into the miserable tale.  “In our travels we came across a village being attacked by a moth youkai and his gang of human lackeys.  He trapped me in this poisonous cocoon, and wounded me in the process.  I would have died in there, but…in my weakened state, my full-youkai blood took over.  I became a monster, filled with insatiable bloodlust.  Killing the moth youkai was easy, but I didn’t stop there.  As the bandits ran and begged for their lives, I slaughtered every one of them.  I pretty much told Kagome to abandon me after that, but she refused.  All of them did.  I don’t know what I would have done if they had left me alone.  Eventually, I was able to move on.  I’ll never forget what I did that day, but I won’t let it ruin my life.”  

As Kohaku digested his words, Inuyasha could see the wheels turning in his head.  And not in a good way; convincing the stubborn taijiya wouldn’t be that easy.  

“But you weren’t in control; your youkai blood was.  You couldn’t even have known what was going on.”  

“How is that any different from you being possessed by Naraku?”  

There was a noticeable hesitation before Kohaku replied, which Inuyasha took as a positive sign.  “Because those men you killed were vicious bandits.  Who knows what they would have done to the villagers if you hadn’t stopped them.”  

“So what?  Would you have killed them if they begged for mercy?”  

Another long pause ensued before Kohaku reluctantly answered.  “No.”  The boy went silent once again after that, seeming to close himself off.  He didn’t want to hear the arguments of logic and reason; he just wanted to shrink back into his own remorse.  But Inuyasha wasn’t done yet.  

“Let me ask you something, kid.  Have you ever enjoyed killing someone?  Did you ever slit the throats of people on their knees pleading with you, and then smirk about it?”

“N-no,” Kohaku stuttered, suitably chilled by the depiction.  

“Then wake the fuck up!  If you think what you did is the worst thing anyone’s ever done, then I wish you had been there that day with me and Gatenmaru.  Maybe then you wouldn’t have such dumbass ideas in your head now.”  

Inuyasha took a deep breath, cooling his nerves.  Remembering that horrible afternoon had brought back all the self-loathing that secretly hounded him for some time after.  He could tell Kohaku was seriously considering his words, but he had one more thing to say.  If this didn’t convince the boy that he needed to stop hanging himself with his own guilt, then nothing would.  

“Kagome once murdered a human as well,” he muttered, his voice barely audible.  

“What?” Kohaku breathed in complete shock.  

Inuyasha sighed, his shoulders slumping as he told the story, one even more disturbing to him than that of his own nightmarish massacre.  “It was after she became a hanyou.  We were visiting a strange village, and one of the men caught Shippou playing with his daughter.  He was beating the kid to a bloody pulp.  I warned him to stop, but he wouldn’t.  It happened so fast.  One moment Kagome was next to me, angry and worried but perfectly normal.  The next she’s standing over the bastard in her full-youkai form, covered in his blood.  She told me she would ‘fucking kill them all,’ and I believe she would have if I hadn’t stopped her.  We later found out that the guy bled to death from his wound.”  

“Kami…how did Kagome-sama deal with it?”  

“The same way you are, at first.  But eventually I convinced her that it wasn’t really her fault.  To this day, she still has nightmares over it, but she can at least go back to sleep.  She doesn’t let guilt paralyze her, and you shouldn’t either.”  

“But I turned my blade on Ane-ue!  I hurt her!”  

Inuyasha felt the beginnings of a satisfied grin tugging at the corners of his lips.  Kohaku was getting desperate, his negative emotions making one final attempt to retain control.  One more push…

“And what do you think you’re doing now?  Sango sees her younger brother—her only brother—behaving like he wants to die, like he’s already one of the living dead.  I can’t even imagine how painful that is for her, especially since she’s tried to make things better and failed.  Sango’s always been good at hiding her feelings, but she’s probably as miserable as you are.”  

Now that got Kohaku’s attention.  As the truth of Inuyasha’s statement dawned, a new wave of guilt washed over his features, though this time Inuyasha was glad to see it.  What followed was a bewildering mix of emotions: uncertainty, obstinacy, understanding, and finally, hope.  It was this last that brought a tentative smile to Inuyasha’s face, as he ruffled the kid’s hair.  

“What would you have me do?” Kohaku asked again, this time without any of his previous attitude.  

“Live.  If not for yourself, then for Sango.  You’re the only family she has left.”  

Inuyasha was understandably surprised when Kohaku laughed openly at his advice.  But there was genuine amusement in the sound, which dampened his rising upset.  

“Miroku-sama once said those same words to me.  I guess I should have listened to him.”  

“Yeah, you should have,” the hanyou grumped jokingly.  “Then I wouldn’t have to be wasting my time!”  

“Thank you, Inuyasha-sama,” the boy answered sincerely.  

“So, what’re you gonna do now?”

“I will try…to live.”  

“Good.  You can start by spending some time with people your own age, rather than an old geezer and young kid constantly.”  

Kohaku nodded in agreement.  “I guess I could go see if Shinju-chan and her friends still want me to play with them.”  

Inuyasha could have commented on any number of things in that moment: the fact that Kohaku referred to the girl with ‘-chan,’ the twinkle in his eye suggesting that her affection for him was reciprocated, or the hitch in his step revealing his excitement.  But the hanyou remained silent, knowing what it was to feel embarrassment at the seemingly good-humored comments of friends.  Besides, harping on someone about their romantic life—or lack thereof—was just not his style.  He preferred to stick to the simpler things, like whether or not a person could hold their own in battle, or whether they were an idiot in general.  If Kohaku proved rusty the next time he fought, then he would definitely hear about it.  In fact, Inuyasha realized, training with Kohaku might be a good idea, now that his spirits had been buoyed.  The boy was learning to be a healer now, and that was fine, but it didn’t mean his taijiya skills wouldn’t be needed someday.  Inuyasha decided to discuss the matter with Sango, since he doubted he would have time to personally spar with her brother before he left with Kagome on their quest.  There was much to do in the meantime.  

Speaking of which, it was approaching noontime and he and Kagome should probably get back to her side of the well to continue the wedding planning.  Although, as he walked back toward Kaede’s hut, his nose caught the scent of something delicious cooking.  Perhaps they could wrangle lunch out of the old miko before they left.

Kagome looked up as he entered, initially not sure how to feel when she saw he was alone.  But she quickly realized it was a positive sign judging from the general aura of smugness about him.  Shaking her head at his ego, she smiled nonetheless.  

“How did it go?”

“Fine,” he replied, teasing her with the one-word answer.  Kagome growled lightheartedly at him and decided to be more specific.  

“Where’s Kohaku-kun?”  

“He went to hang out with Shinju and her friends,” he stated simply, as if it was no big deal.  Both miko, old and young, sighed in relief at that.  Kagome moved behind her fiancée, leaning against his back and draping her arms over his shoulders.  She shifted her head to the side and planted a tender kiss upon his cheek.  

“You know you’re amazing, right?”

“Keh.  Yeah, but you keep telling me anyway,” he joked, turning his face towards her.  

“Mmm-hmm,” Kagome murmured, brushing her lips against his ever so lightly.  Inuyasha was just about to pull her in for more when a high-pitched whine snapped him out of his Kagome-induced stupor.  
“Ick!  Take that outside.  There are children present.”

Inuyasha looked around and was surprised to find Shippou in the hut.  He had apparently been drawing until the romantic theatrics distracted him.  

“When did you get here, runt?” Inuyasha asked.  

“I’ve been here since before you got back, though I can see why you didn’t notice.”  

“Why you little—”

“Well, Inuyasha?  Are you coming?” came Kagome’s voice.  She was standing in the entryway, one hand on her hips, which were cocked seductively to the side.  The other was placed elegantly against the doorframe, supporting her lithe body in a way that called out to the warm-blooded male in him.  Inuyasha gulped, momentarily paralyzed by the alluring vision.  

“Shippou did tell us to ‘take it outside,’” Kagome observed casually.  “But if you don’t want to…eep!”  

Both hanyou were gone in the blink of an eye, and Shippou could hear Kagome’s giggles fading into the distance as Inuyasha carried her off to who knows where to do who knows what.  The young fox shook his head and returned to his drawing.  He hoped he never grew up.  

* * *

“What’re you talkin’ about, jiji?” Inuyasha asked, genuinely perplexed.  Kagome’s grandfather glared at him sternly with his hands on his hips.  

“I said you will sleep on the couch tonight.  I will not have the bride and groom sharing a room the night before their wedding.  It’s…improper!”  

Inuyasha blinked once, then glanced at Kagome, who shrugged.  Apparently she considered this something not worth fighting over.  If her grandfather felt that passionate about it, they should just go along peacefully.  Inuyasha sighed, then took the offered pillow and blanket from Kagome’s mother.  She patted him on the back and smiled gratefully at him.  

“Hmph,” the old man grumped smugly.  “And there will be no sneaking into my granddaughter’s room, either.”  

“Yeah, yeah.  What am I, a child?”

“Sometimes I wonder,” Kagome’s grandfather mumbled.  But he went on his way satisfied that Inuyasha would obey his rule.  The hanyou fully intended to, though he didn’t like it one bit.  But what was one night without Kagome by his side?  Her soft, warm body fitting so perfectly against his…  He shook his head; thoughts like that wouldn’t help him.  Besides, after tonight, it would be a long time before he had to spend another night without his wife and mate lying next to him.  Perhaps never.  He grinned at that, and settled on the couch as the Higurashis went upstairs to bed.  Kagome actually sat and watched TV with him for awhile, but eventually she too bid him goodnight, kissing him lightly on the lips.  She grinned at his disappointed frown, sending him a teasing look that said ‘wait until tomorrow.’  Inuyasha reclined on his back with his hands relaxingly behind his head.  He could wait.  

He did, however, have trouble falling asleep.  After tossing, turning, and growling in annoyance for a couple hours, he finally sat up and flung off the blanket.  The air was relatively warm, but he still felt cold in a way that wasn’t related to temperature.  Perhaps he had just grown accustomed to having Kagome in his arms as he slept.  At least there he knew she was safe, and maybe his subconscious needed that knowledge.  But she was safe, and he wasn’t truly worried about her.  So why…  Dah!  I need some air.  

He crept out the front door, scanning the shrine grounds for danger out of habit.  The sounds of the city were still foreign to him, even after a hundred nights spent within its limits.  The waning moon shone brightly overhead, reminding him that the ageless sky was still the same as it was five hundred years ago, even if he couldn’t see the stars as clearly here.  In two leaps he was on the roof, and then he nearly fell off again, a side effect of freezing right on the edge.  Kagome had apparently encountered trouble sleeping too, since she was already on the roof.  She sat with her arms wrapped around her knees, her hair and the edges of her flannel pajamas blowing in the breeze.  She turned her head and smiled at him, patting the roof next to her in an invitation.  Inuyasha readily accepted, leaning back on his elbows and studying her out of the corner of his eye.  

“Couldn’t sleep?” she asked, her tone suggesting she already knew the answer.  

“Keh.”  

“Me either.”  Kagome sighed contentedly.  “It’s so beautiful out here.”  

They gazed at the night sky in silence for quite some time, each feeling the sort of inner tranquility that only comes once in awhile.  Finally, Kagome lay back on the roof and rolled on her side to face him.  Inuyasha did the same, and for a seemingly interminable length of time they simply gazed at each other, reading and being read, speaking and listening in a language far deeper than words.  Smiles tugged at their lips, but they did not need them to know they were both happy, truly happy.  Two hands drifted closer, fine hairs brushing up against each other but never touching skin on skin.  Inuyasha swallowed, nearly overwhelmed by the intensity of it all.  In this moment, even though they weren’t touching, he felt so incredibly close to her.  Rather than embracing her body, he felt he was embracing her soul.  Perhaps there was something to these bonds humans made after all.  

And perhaps the old man’s rule wasn’t as dumb as he had first believed.  

* * *

Inuyasha yawned, barely managing to keep his attention on the girl speaking to him.  It was the following morning, and he was outside chatting with Kagome’s friends.  He had already changed into the robes belonging to Kagome’s father, and was waiting for her to finish dressing.  Apparently Eri, Yuka, and Ayumi had come up with some more questions regarding his and Kagome’s grand adventure over the past two years, and he was happy to answer them, especially since they didn’t seem to mind his yawning.  If nothing else, the fatigue from a mostly-sleepless was putting a damper on his nerves.  

Though there was another reason for his calm demeanor.  What reason did he have to be nervous, when last night he had gazed into every corner of Kagome’s heart and discovered love for him even in the deepest reaches?  

Suddenly the conversation ceased, and all eyes shifted to stare at something behind him.  Inuyasha spun around and his jaw dropped.  Kagome was dressed in all white, representing purity of heart and soul if not body, the picture of the conventional Japanese bride but for one noticeable exception.  She wore her hair down, its ends curled into thin wisps in the front.  The look might have been unorthodox, but it suited her boundless spirit.  Her lack of headdress revealed her ears, standing tall and erect atop her head.  Inuyasha felt his chest swell with pride; never in all his days had he been so glad to be a hanyou.  He was especially pleased that she had foregone the Tsunokakushi (3); Kagome didn’t have any ‘horns of jealousy’ to hide, and he certainly didn’t want her to become an obedient wife.  Fighting, negotiating, and living with an equal was a very fulfilling part of their relationship as far as he was concerned.  

He ran a shaking finger along the inside of his collar, which was now damp with sweat.  Why was he starting to hyperventilate?  There was nothing to be nervous about.  Right?  Kagome’s blush revealed that she was anxious as well, which made him feel better.  But still, Inuyasha was perplexed.  This was just a simple human ceremony, a mere formality.  Wasn’t it?  

He didn’t have any more time to ponder that question as the wedding got underway.  Ultimately, the ceremony flew by for both of them; before they knew it, Kagome’s family and friends were applauding them warmly.  Though, as Inuyasha realized, he could now officially call them his family and friends as well.  Kagome’s mother cried openly, and even her grandfather had moisture in his eyes as he tried not to show how happy he was for them.  

Inuyasha turned to his new wife to find her already gazing at him.  Taking her hands, he leaned in for a sweet, passionate kiss, not caring if the whole world decided to watch them.  He pulled away and leaned his forehead against hers, both of them grinning from ear to ear as whistles and cheers added to the clapping.  

There really was far more to these bonds humans made than he had originally thought.  How much more?  Well, he had a lifetime to find out.  


Shinju = Pearl

(1)  Someone did make an Inuyasha video game.  I don’t have it and I’ve never played it, but I know there is one.  
(2)  The shiro-maku is the white wedding kimono worn by the bride in traditional Japanese weddings.  
(3)  The Tsunokakushi is one of the traditional types of Japanese bridal headwear.  Quote from Wikipedia: “This is traditionally worn to veil the bride's horns of jealousy, ego and selfishness. It also symbolized the bride's resolve to become a gentle and obedient wife.”  
Converting /tmp/phptA2c7N to /dev/stdout