InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Metamorphosis ❯ The Meaning of Sorrow ( Chapter 55 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Disclaimer: I don’t own Inuyasha or any of the publicly known characters, plot, etc.  I’m just renting them from Rumiko Takahashi, Viz, etc.   I do own the plot of this story and any original characters I’ve created.  I will make no money from this fic; I write for my own enjoyment and the enjoyment of my readers.


The Meaning of Sorrow


“There’s something wrong with these people,” Inuyasha declared.  

Kagome nodded in agreement.  You can say that again.  

They hadn’t expected any trouble, since they were just a human married couple looking for a place to stay for the night.  They also hadn’t expected the villagers to be this welcoming either.  

“Oh, visitors!  Welcome!  Please stay a long time!”

That was probably the twentieth such greeting they had received since their arrival a few minutes ago.  The warmth these people displayed toward outsiders disturbed them more than prejudice and mistrust ever had.  It just wasn’t normal for people of this time period—of any time period—to be so welcoming.  Beyond that, Kagome had yet to see a single face that wasn’t smiling.  It was creepy, these humans of all ages walking around with expressions frozen into cheerful masks.  

But by far the most troubling sight was the family of five walking toward them in the opposite direction.  They strolled behind a cart carrying a deceased person covered by a tarp, obviously destined for burial or cremation.  

“Don’t worry, kids.  Your grandmother is in a better place now,” the mother said to her children.  Now, that statement itself wasn’t unusual; it was just the sort of thing one might reasonably say to a grieving loved one.  But the way she delivered it, without any trace of sadness or mourning, sent a shiver down Kagome’s spine.  The children beamed up at her, their innocent faces betraying none of the melancholy they should be feeling.  Nor did any of the family’s eyes sparkle with unshed tears; it was as if the grandmother’s death was an entirely joyous occasion.  That was the last straw for Kagome.  

“Inuyasha,” she whispered, “this is weirding me out.  Let’s take our chances in the forest.”  
“As soon as one of us changes back.  This place is still safer than out the—” he answered, cutting himself off when a foreign voice interrupted his reply.  

“You wouldn’t be thinking of leaving already, would you?” a woman asked with disappointment and concern in her tone.  It was the mother, the same one who had just moments earlier reassured her children.  Instantly the entire village went silent, and Kagome felt the stares of every inhabitant of the Kami-forsaken place.  

“They’re leaving?”

“Already?”

“But they just got here!”

Kagome felt a tug on her robe and looked down to see the three children gazing up at her, their masks firmly in place.  

“Stay with us, please.  Stay with us,” they pleaded as one in an unnerving monotone.  

“Yes, give us a chance.  Most visitors like this place so much that they never leave,” the mother said, smiling broadly at them in a manner which chilled Kagome to the core.  She wanted nothing more than to curl up into the fetal position and try to wake up from this nightmare.  

“W-we’ll stay,” Inuyasha choked out from beside her, his tone suggesting that he had contemplated doing the same.  Delighted cheers erupted, and then the villagers went back to their previous occupations, leaving the two hanyou-turned-human alone in the middle of the street once more.  But they both felt suspicious eyes upon them; there was no doubt they were being watched.  

“Fuck this!” Inuyasha whispered as quietly as he could.  “We’ll sneak out as soon as everyone’s asleep.”  Kagome nodded in agreement, sidling up close to him.  Her utter vulnerability spiked her fear, and she didn’t need her hanyou sense of smell to know that her husband was battling his own rising panic.  All they could do was lay low and keep their heads until their chance to flee came.  

They procured a room at the local inn and immediately retired, ostensibly for the evening.  It came as no surprise when the innkeeper refused their offer of money.  At this point, nothing about this village would surprise them.  It was almost a relief when Kagome focused her miko abilities and sensed a faint demonic aura permeating the area.  At least now they had an explanation for the villagers’ bizarre behavior.  More worrisome was the presence of several shards of the Shikon no Tama in the distance, but they decided to stick with their plan for escape.  They would return for the shards and to help the villagers when both of them were hanyou again, and far more capable of dealing with whatever was going on here.  

They ate the meal that was brought to them, feigning the same jolly temperament that gripped everyone else in this cursed town.  The fact that the town really was cursed in some sense of the word didn’t make acting any easier, but they managed not to earn any more suspicious looks from the villagers.  Gradually, the sounds of activity outside lessened until only the chirping of the crickets remained.  Finally, well into the night, Inuyasha stood and crept toward the door.  Sliding it open a crack, he and Kagome peered out into the hallway.  Seeing no sign of anyone, they stepped through the doorway and began tiptoeing toward the inn’s exit as quietly as they could.  At last they could see the deserted village outside, illuminated only by the stars.  Inuyasha paused, glancing in every direction, making sure the coast was clear.  It was.  

“Alright, Kagome,” he said in a barely audible whisper.  “Let’s make a break for it.  Don’t stop until you reach the forest.  Ready?”  

“Kagome?” he tried again when there was no response.  A choked gasp reached his ears, and he spun to a sight that filled him with terror.  His wife standing with a burly male arm wrapped around her torso, trapping her arms at her sides.  In her captor’s other hand was a knife, pressed against the soft skin of her throat.  No sooner had Inuyasha taken a step toward her than he felt strong hands grab him from behind, forcing him to the ground face first.  The cool prick of steel against his neck ceased his struggling, and he grudgingly allowed his wrists to be drawn behind him and tied together with a short length of rope.  He looked up to see Kagome being similarly bound.  Their eyes met, each pair full of concern for the other, and a single panicked sentiment passed between them.  His hanyou transformation was at least a few hours away, and Kagome’s probably longer than that; over time, her periods of weakness had grown more spread out but longer when they did appear.  Whatever these nutjobs had planned wasn’t going to wait that long.  How the hell do we get ourselves out of this one?  

“I knew it was a good idea to keep our eyes on you,” cut in a familiar feminine voice.  Inuyasha glared daggers at the source, the mother from before, who was apparently acting as ringleader of this posse of about a dozen villagers.  

“Go to hell, bitch!” he spat venomously, though he didn’t receive the reaction he expected.  The woman merely shook her head and calmly tsk’ed him, as if he was a small child in need of scolding.  

“Don’t worry, young man.  Soon you will have no need for profanity.  To Kawazufukou-sama!”

“To Kawazufukou-sama!” the rest of the posse repeated, dragging Inuyasha to his feet and marching him and Kagome off to some unknown destination.  The volatile hanyou-turned-human pelted his captors with every profane utterance he could think of, but no one paid him any mind.  Those cheerful smiles remained firmly in place.  When Inuyasha finally paused to take a breath, Kagome tried a less hostile approach.  

“Where are you taking us?” she asked, her voice betraying an edge of fear though she tried to hide it.  

“To Kawazufukou-sama,” the woman stated simply.  

“Who is that?  And why are you taking us to him?” Kagome pleaded, hoping the woman would provide some details.  

“You will understand soon enough.”  

“Please!” Kagome practically screamed.  “Don’t do this.  You’ve all been possessed by a youkai; this Kawazufukou person must have you under his spell.  I’m a miko.  Let us go and we can help you.”  

At that, the entire gathering minus the prisoners burst out in laughter, which sounded dreadfully hollow despite the genuine amusement present.  

You will help us?” the woman asked incredulously.  “It is you who requires our assistance.  Kawazufukou-sama is a wonderful and loving mistress.  She keeps us safe and fills our lives solely with happiness.  There is nothing to trouble us in our world.  Soon you will call her mistress as well.”  

“Damn.”  “Shit.”  

Inuyasha and Kagome shared a look at their simultaneous curses.  It was clear that reasoning with or begging these people wasn’t going to work.  For the moment, they were out of options.  By that point, the small group had exited the village grounds entirely and entered the forest.  Eventually, Kagome noticed an eerie green glow against the canopy, growing brighter as they moved deeper into the woods.  And with every step they took, the youkai aura became stronger, and the presence of the jewel shards became nearer.  

Finally, after probably about a half hour of marching, they halted at the edge of a large pond.  The source of the strange glow was now visible; large lily flowers floated on the water’s surface, their iridescent petals providing light even in the darkest of nights.  Kagome knew not how or why the flowers were so luminous, but she guessed it had something to do with the strong youki emanating from this place.  The water appeared remarkably clear despite the plant life growing in and around the pond.  But neither Inuyasha nor Kagome could see a bottom; this body of water did not slope gently downward as one would expect from a natural formation.  It appeared to drop steeply off into unknown depths, almost like a manmade tub.  With a sinking feeling, Kagome realized that whatever lived here had probably dug it that way.  

“Kawazufukou-sama!  We worship you!” the woman called into the night.  The rest of the posse joined in, repeating the chant as one several more times.  A ripple on the surface of the pond silenced them, and they took to waiting expectantly, almost eagerly for something to happen.  

They did not have long to wait.  Two slimy-looking humps popped out of the water in the middle of the pond.  They shifted, revealing them to be massive, side-facing eyes which turned to focus forward on the gathering.  The creature’s gaze was downright predatory, thin yellow irises bordering enormous black oval pupils which locked onto prey with cold-blooded intensity.  Just as they were now staring squarely at Inuyasha and Kagome.  Slowly the eyes moved forward until they reached the edge of the pond.  A giant amphibian limb emerged, then another, pulling the creature out of the water and revealing its full form.  It was the largest frog Kagome had ever seen, the skin a beautiful shade of solid emerald green, the shape streamlined and graceful.  But the thing that impressed and alarmed Kagome most about it was the size of its massive mouth, easily wider than she was tall.  The miko gulped, her desperate attempt to recoil foiled by the immovable body at her back.  Now, held against her will and confronted with an enemy perfectly capable of devouring her alive, she felt the full measure of her vulnerability.  

But all was not lost, she forced herself to remember.  She was still a miko, something this youkai was unaware of.  Still, she didn’t trust herself to purify the youkai from this distance; if it managed to escape, it could order the villagers to kill them and they wouldn’t be able to do anything about it.  She either needed her hands free to focus her energy, or she needed to be in physical contact with the youkai.  Even if she didn’t survive, she could still purify the youkai if it swallowed her.  That is, if those massive jaws didn’t crush her like a very juicy insect.

“Greetings, Mistress,” the woman addressed the massive amphibian, bowing formally.  

“What have you brought this One,” the frog croaked in a decidedly feminine voice.  

“Two more humans for you to feed on and add to your flock, oh great Kawazufukou-sama.”  

“Mmmm,” the frog replied, sizing up the two morsels.  “You have done well.  They look tasty.”  

“Thank you, Mistress.  Oh, and please be careful.  The woman said she was a miko.”  

If Kagome’s hands had been free, she would have smacked herself.  Shit!  Me and my big mouth!  

“A miko, you say?  Strange that she does not wear the traditional colors.  Tell me, girl,” Kawazufukou said, addressing Kagome directly, “are you really a miko or was that a bluff?”  

Kagome hardened her gaze and pursed her lips, determined not to say anything else she would regret.  Kawazufukou chuckled deeply, amused by her prey’s sudden show of courage.  

“So you won’t answer, eh?  Very well then.  Kill him,” she told the men holding Inuyasha.  The blade of the knife was pressed tightly against his throat, drawing a thin line of blood.  With one flick of the wrist…

“NO!!!” Kagome shrieked, the exclamation accompanied by a flash of unmistakable miko power.  So heartrending was her cry that the villager wielding the knife paused in his grim task and glanced at his mistress, silently asking her whether to proceed.  

Kawazufukou’s expression morphed into the frog equivalent of a huge, malevolent grin.  She gave a subtle shake of her head to her subordinate, who eased pressure on the knife held to Inuyasha’s neck.  Then she turned back to Kagome.  

“Kukuku, so you are a miko then.  And even more interesting, you have formed an unusual attachment to this man here.”

“They introduced themselves as husband and wife,” a male villager spoke up—the innkeeper, Kagome realized as she got a good look at him.  

Really?  Well, I’ve never heard of a married miko before, but the power you just displayed is proof enough for me.  But you had better control yourself.  If you try to purify me, my servant will slit your husband’s throat and spill his blood all over the ground.”  

A blur of motion followed, and Kagome found herself pulled forward and thrown to the ground hard enough to make her head spin for a few seconds.  Kawazufukou’s long tongue had shot out and wrapped around her torso quicker than the human eye could comprehend, and now the trailing end weaved around her neck.  It didn’t restrict her breathing yet, but Kagome was well aware of its presence.  A small squeak escaped her as she was dragged upright, brought perilously close to a gaping maw, from which emerged foul swamp breath that nearly choked her.  

“Kagome!” Inuyasha was yelling.  “Don’t worry about me!  Purify that bitch!”

“Shut him up, would you?” Kawazufukou demanded.  Kagome heard a frightening thud, and she held her breath for a moment until Inuyasha’s muffled cursing assured her that he was okay.  She very briefly considered taking his advice, but almost immediately rejected the idea.  Logically, it was probably better that she take action now, because once she was gone, Inuyasha was helpless.  But if doing so would most likely result in his death…she couldn’t do it.  No matter what, she couldn’t do something that would endanger the life of her mate and husband.  And that was the end of the debate.  

“Just hurry up and eat me, already,” Kagome said, prepared to accept her fate unless Inuyasha could do something about his situation.  The ball was in his court; she could not save herself if he was in immediate peril.  Inuyasha, I have faith in you.  But please hurry.  

“Oh, I’m not going to eat you, girl,” Kawazufukou replied, pure enjoyment flowing into her voice.  

“Y-you’re not?”  

“Well, not in the common sense of the word.  You see, I feed only on a very special part of the human mind.  It is why all those people in the village adore me, and why they are so contented.  Only the sorrow of mortals provides me nourishment, and a delightful taste which I crave.”  

Kagome stared blankly at the frog as a dozen separate realizations clicked into place, providing the solution for the great mystery of this village.  The inhabitants’ state of perpetual bliss, their lack of sadness at times of mourning, their praise of and devotion to their youkai mistress…all of it made sense now.  Kawazufukou had indeed provided nothing but happiness for her followers.  She had literally devoured all their woe, everything in their memories that made them sad, and had simultaneously taken away their ability to feel sorrow at all.  In doing so, she had turned them into merry zombies, devoid of some of the very emotions which made them human.  And Kagome was about to become one of them.  

NO!!!  Kawazufukou’s power surged through her, and she struggled, an internal battle waging furiously inside her mind.  She didn’t want to become like them.  She didn’t want to forget all the times Inuyasha made her cry, or how it felt to lose a child, because those things had made her what she was today.  To allow Kawazufukou to take the memories from her would be to cheapen her very past, to cut off part of herself and throw it away.  She would never truly be Higurashi Kagome again.  Gritting her teeth, she intensified her resistance.  But the invading energy was persistent, and powerful.  Her mental barriers were already cracking, her focus wavering, her strength draining; she would not last for long.  

“Dammit, Kagome!” Inuyasha yelled.  “Fry this bitch!”  But she did not seem to hear him, and he swore under his breath.  She was perfectly capable of purifying this sorry excuse for a youkai, but was too concerned about his well-being to pull the proverbial trigger.  He had to do something, but the blade pressed into his neck greatly restricted his options.  The man holding him to the ground was entirely focused on his prisoner, his hot breath blowing against Inuyasha’s neck.  He could never react fast enough to escape.  

“Join us.  Join us.  Join us,” the gathering began chanting, perhaps sensing that Kagome was nearing her breaking point.  In those few crucial moments, Inuyasha grasped for any idea, and immediately jumped on the first one that came to mind.  He didn’t know how he came up with this slice of insanity, but it was worth a try.  

“Yeah, join us!” Inuyasha yelled as loudly and enthusiastically he could.  As he hoped, the villagers’ chanting dissolved into confusion as all eyes turned to gaze bewilderedly at him.  The pressure on the knife at his throat eased just slightly, its wielder just as perplexed as his companions.  It was the opportunity Inuyasha had been waiting for.  

He flung his head backwards, crashing into the face of the man on top of him and sending that man’s own head snapping back.  Rolling to his right, Inuyasha drove his shoulder into the hand holding the knife, forcibly separating the two.  With a mighty heave of his bound hands, he pushed up on the man’s chest, giving him just enough room to pull his feet underneath him.  With a thrust of his thighs he lunged forward, his lungs filling to capacity to deliver an earth-shattering cry.  

“NOW, KAGOME!!!”  

Kagome barely heard her husband’s call over the roaring in her mind, but she recognized his tone immediately.  The demand, the desperation; it was the call of a man who had done what he could and needed help to save their lives.  It was what Kagome had been waiting to hear.  In response, she reached down deep within herself, drawing on every ounce of spiritual power she possessed as she released a tumultuous wave of miko energy.  The artificial roaring in Kagome’s head ceased as Kawazufukou was driven from the battered gates of her mind, to be replaced by a very real agonized screech from the frog.  Then Kagome was flying, soaring through the air, unable to do anything except close her eyes and wait for impact.  

Inuyasha watched with pride and amazement as Kawazufukou’s body was engulfed in miko energy, electric tendrils of power dancing with devastating effect over her skin.  The long tongue snapped back out of reflex, unraveling itself from Kagome’s body about halfway back to the mouth, the elastic force flinging the miko high into the air.  Inuyasha looked on in horror as she landed head first in the middle of the pond with a loud splash.  

“Kagome!” he shouted, instantly leaping into action.  He located the knife on the ground and dove for it, frantically flailing for it with bound hands.  Finally he grabbed it and used it to slice the ropes as he sprinted around the side of the pond, not caring how deeply he cut himself in the process.  As soon as his hands were free he turned and, using his momentum, launched himself into the water.  He swam for all he was worth, diving under when he neared the area where bubbles still popped and gurgled on the surface of the water.  For several terrifying moments he saw nothing.  Then there she was, struggling vainly toward the surface, her wide, panicked eyes appearing almost ready to roll back in her head.  He wrapped one arm around her waist, pulling her with him as he surged upward, those final few seconds seeming to encompass a small eternity.  

Kagome’s titanic gasp as they broke the surface was one of the sweetest sounds Inuyasha had ever heard, and her sputtering coughs afterward were nearly as pleasing.  Keeping her head above water, he slowly pulled them back to shore, hauling Kagome out onto the grass and collapsing exhaustedly beside her.  Both of them lay panting for several moments, happy to be alive.  Inuyasha found the discarded knife within arm’s reach and, rolling his wife over onto her side, carefully cut the ropes binding her.  Kagome’s arms immediately snaked around his midsection and clutched him tightly as she buried her face in his chest, reliving those terrifying moments and trying not to cry.  Inuyasha couldn’t blame her; near death experiences were never fun.  Drowning must be an especially horrible way to go.  He held her close as a few rogue tears wound down to sniffles, running a hand tenderly over her hair.  Then, when he judged the time was right, he endeavored to lighten the mood.  

“Why does shit like this always happen to us during the new moon?” he asked wryly.  

“Hm,” Kagome replied, turning her head so she could gaze up at him.  “Bad luck, I guess.  We’ve had some adventures on those nights, haven’t we?”  

“Keh.  Too many.”  

“Thank you, Inuyasha,” she stated sincerely, and Inuyasha sensed the sentiment wasn’t just for cheering her up.  

“You saved both our asses, Kagome,” he answered, brushing off her gratitude.  Part of him wanted to berate her for not purifying Kawa-whatever immediately, but he kept his mouth shut.  He would have done the exact same thing in her shoes.  

“I knew…” Kagome declared.  “I knew you would do something.”  

“You know me,” he replied, leaning down and meeting her halfway for a sweet kiss.  Lust played no role in this chaste encounter; they both felt too fatigued and soggy for that.  But it was enough to truly confirm that they were both alive, and still together.  

Kagome sighed regretfully when they pulled apart.  “Come on, let’s go see what kind of mess we’ve made.”  Standing, she reached down to help Inuyasha to his feet and recoiled at the sight of him.  

“Kami, Inuyasha!  What happened to your arms?!”  

Inuyasha looked down and saw that both his wrists were still bleeding slowly from several straight, rather deep cuts in his skin.  He would be mildly concerned about them if he was going to remain human beyond the next few hours, but as it was, they would be gone before noontime.

“Keh.  I had to cut the ropes off, and there was no time to be careful.”

“Oh,” Kagome answered softly, clearly believing his injuries to be her fault.  

“Kagome—”

“Take off your kosode,” she ordered, picking the knife up off the ground.  

“Why?  They aren’t even that ba—”

“Take off your kosode or I’ll take it off for you,” she threatened, clenching her empty fist at her side.  Inuyasha quickly came to a very important decision: this wasn’t worth arguing with her about.  One did not mess with Kagome when it came to his well-being, even if he was the one doing the messing.  Reluctantly, he slipped off his haori and kosode, handing her the latter and shrugging the former back on.  Kagome cut several long strips from the white cloth, wrapping them carefully but tightly around his wrists.  They would at least control the bleeding until his hanyou healing abilities returned.  Finished, she tossed him the ruined kosode, which he slung over his shoulder.  

“Thanks,” he muttered, secretly glad his wounds were bandaged.  She smiled genuinely at him, the act of taking care of him having obviously made her feel much better.  Taking his elbow, she turned and led him back toward the gathering of humans.  As they approached, they were surprised to find the villagers kneeling in a rough circle around a writhing mass, loudly crying their mistress’ name.  Kawazufukou was still alive!  

Just barely, it turned out.  Kagome’s miko energy had not killed her outright, but she was so badly burned that not even the two jewel shards in her belly would be able to save her.  Kagome felt guilt wash over her at the wretched sight, having never intended to give her enemy such a prolonged and agonizing death.  She moved forward to mercifully finish the job and end Kawazufukou’s suffering, but stopped when the frog’s raspy voice reached her ears.  

“Why…  I sensed…much sorrow in you…buried deep.  You could have…been happy.  Why…  Why…”

“Because our sorrow, our sad memories are part of who we are.  If you take them away, you wind up with people who can’t even mourn a loved one who’s passed away.  Besides, I’m happy now,” Kagome declared, wrapping her arm around her husband’s waist.  “I don’t need to give up a part of myself to live a good life.”  

“Tch.  How…stupid,” Kawazufukou ground out as her body began to dissolve.  In moments her miserable form was reduced to ash wafting on the gentle breeze.  Kagome shook her head; in the end, Kawazufukou had learned nothing because the true reason she fed on human sorrow had been selfish—for sustenance.  The rationale that she made them ‘happy’ was just a hollow justification.  

The lamentations abruptly ceased, silence reigning as each villager realized that he or she was now free from Kawazufukou’s spell.  Inuyasha and Kagome were glad they would not remain zombies, but now were concerned about the reaction to their rescue, or whether they would even see it as such.  They were still in a tough predicament if the villagers decided they preferred living without gloomy emotions.  

“Oh, Kami,” the woman from before whispered, tears flowing freely down her cheeks.  “M-my mother died today.”  Reaching up, she touched her face with a finger and stared amazed at the moisture gathered there.  It was as if she could not believe she was crying.  Gradually, a heartfelt smile appeared on her features, just before she buried her face in her hands and wept bitterly.  Several of the men cried openly as well, and there was not a single dry eye in the gathering.  Every expression revealed a mix of gratitude and sadness.  

Over the next half hour or so, Inuyasha and Kagome learned much about the events leading up to their eventful evening.  A few months ago, one of the older men had returned to the village behaving oddly, but everyone had simply assumed that grief was responsible; the man had recently lost his wife and only child to disease.  When more people started acting strangely, however, the villagers realized they had a problem.  Many tried to leave, but they always returned with the same mysterious ailment that plagued the other victims.  They were defenseless against the youkai cursing them, and incapable of outrunning her, and soon the entire village was infected.  From then on, they would capture unsuspecting visitors and take them to their mistress as well.  In fact, many of the current inhabitants actually hailed from other villages, since of course no one ever wanted to leave once they ‘met’ Kawazufukou.  

Kagome was horrified to learn that the villagers’ recovery was not complete.  Each person remembered clearly everything that had happened after his assimilation, but all the sad memories from before that instant were gone, apparently lost forever to Kawazufukou’s appetite.  It was a devastating blow.  A husband left with only happy memories of a deceased wife would go home to find an empty house, never knowing how his wife died or whether he had been there, holding her hand as she passed on to the next world.  People would live feeling as though some of the most important fragments of their pasts were permanently blacked out.  They would never know some of the fundamental experiences which formed the foundation of what they were now.  Readjusting to the real world would indeed be difficult for Kawazufukou’s victims, but none of them regretted being awakened from her spell.   

The villagers begged Inuyasha and Kagome to return with them, promising a much warmer—and less creepy—reception this time around.  The hanyou-turned-human didn’t see much choice; their stuff was still at the inn, and it was still dark.  Once word spread about their efforts in slaying Kawazufukou, they were hailed as heroes.  They were immediately ushered into the wealthiest household in the village, where a hot bath was prepared for them.  The steaming water drove away the chills which had gripped them from walking around in damp clothes in the cool night air.  They nestled up together and relaxed completely, nearly falling asleep; it had been a long night.  

When they emerged, skin rosy and slightly pruned, clean robes awaited them.  They were informed that their clothing had been washed and was now drying in the breeze, and also that Inuyasha was being made a new kosode with the same fabric and design as his original.  In addition, a hot morning meal awaited them, as well as a physician to properly clean and bandage Inuyasha’s cuts despite his half-hearted objections.  Inuyasha and Kagome shared a look, one that pondered whether they would be receiving this same hospitality if the villagers knew they were hanyou.  

They got their chance to find out just as they were finishing their meal.  Some of the more influential villagers had been pleasantly conversing with them as they ate, but everyone fell silent as Inuyasha stood with a serious look in his eyes.  Those first shafts of sunlight shining over the horizon signaled the return of his hanyou features, and also that he needed to be on his toes.  He was fully prepared to grab Kagome and bolt if things turned ugly.  He could return for their stuff once she was out of danger.  

A chorus of astonished gasps went up as his hair became silver, his claws and ears appearing as his eyes shifted to their usual golden hue.  Awkward silence hung in the air for a moment before Inuyasha addressed the gathering.  

“I’m actually a hanyou,” was all he said, figuring it would be best to give as little detail as possible about his time of weakness.  Hopefully no one would draw the proper connection to the phase of the moon; enough people already knew about his human night.  He glanced to the side as Kagome stood next to him.  

“I’m a hanyou as well,” she confessed, refusing to sit idly by while her husband suffered ridicule alone.  Her declaration stunned the villagers even further.  

“H-how can this be?” one of them cried.  

“Why do you disguise yourselves as humans?”  

“It ain’t a disguise,” Inuyasha retorted.  “I was really human, and she still is.”  

“So why didn’t you change back when you were in such grave danger before?”  

“Don’t you think we would have if we could?!”  

“I don’t know!  But I think it’s really suspicious that both of you were forcibly hum—”

The clearing of a throat silenced the irate villager and brought an attentive calm to the gathering.  In the back of the room, an old man stood, supported by his walking stick.  He spoke evenly and authoritatively, his voice demanding the ears of all within hearing distance.  

“It seems Inuyasha-san and Kagome-san do not wish to divulge their secrets, and we should respect that.  I do not know whether their story is true or not, but I see no reason for them to lie to us.  This interrogation serves no purpose except to upset and alienate the two individuals who rescued our town.  And if two hanyou of their character exist, then perhaps we should not be so quick to judge hanyou in general.”  

The room went silent once more, the faces of the rest of the men telling Inuyasha and Kagome that the trouble was over.  All of them seemed to accept the wisdom of the old man’s words, some more grudgingly than others, of course.  Kagome sensed this was the typical Japanese village when it came to youkai—mistrustful of anything non-human, but willing to peacefully coexist if given the chance.  She couldn’t blame them for being a little more hostile to youkai given the past several months.  

Inuyasha and Kagome departed shortly thereafter, clad in their own clean clothes, and in Inuyasha’s case a fine new kosode.  The village gave them a rousing sendoff, with many pleas to return soon.  It was very satisfying for both of them to know that their efforts had not only restored the full lives of dozens of people, but had given them another place where they would always be welcome.  

The noonday sun shined brightly down from the height of its daily journey over the earth.  Its rays were powerful, but they could not reach the two hanyou dozing under the shade of a large tree.  But the sun smiled at them, and let them be.  After the past twenty-four hours, these two deserved a long, peaceful nap.  


Kawazufukou – “kawazu” means frog, “fukou” means sorrow (freedict.com).  So the name literally means “frog of sorrow.”  I know, real original.  
Converting /tmp/phpveVxgE to /dev/stdout