InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Midnight Blood ❯ Cold ( Chapter 16 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{ }{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{} {}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{ }{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{} {}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{ }{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{} {}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{ }{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{} {}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}
Author’s Notes
-_-_-_-_-
And so begin my apologies at not being able to upload this sooner.  Needless to say, things have been very stressful for me, though I know that’s not an excuse, I SHOULD be writing everyday.  But all the homework, work work, and drawing have given my right hand a lot of pain recently.  Nevertheless, I hope this new chapter makes you guys feel better.  Happy Turkey Day!
-_-_-_-_-
DISCLAIMER: I don’t own Inuyasha, nor do I take any credit for Romiko Takahashi’s genious.
{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{} {}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{ }{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{} {}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{ }{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{} {}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{ }{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{} {}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{ }{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}
REVIEWER
@REVIEWERGODDESS: *snif* Okay, why are you so awesome?  Not only do you give great reviews, but you also inspire me more, and give some interesting ideas, albeit unintentionally.  If that’s not the mark of a good feedback giver, I don’t know what is. I always appreciate your reviews, wholeheartedly. This is a bit off topic, but it wasn’t until the last review that I realized that your name is ‘‘Splendent’’ (not ‘‘Splendid’’) Goddess.  Heh.  So, you liked them dog-ears did you? And I think Kagome and Inuyasha are going to have a lot more inner turmoil in the future. (Evil Smirk) You think you have Narek all figured out do you?  (Evil smirk again).  Anyway, the same way you look forward to my chapters is the same way I look forward to your reviews. Once again, thank you SO much and I hope you enjoy.
`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~ `~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~` ~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~ `~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~` ~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~ `~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~` ~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~
Part Sixteen: Cold
`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~` ~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~ `~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~` ~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~ `~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~` ~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~ `~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~
Now there is a man that listens to his inner monster.’
-_-_-_-_-
Why?  Inuyasha pressed arms over on stomach as though rubbing would put out the fire in his insides.  Black crept into the sides of his vision as he struggled to keep himself conscious.  Why, of all times, did that damned voice speak now?  He shivered, the fire inside him replaced by ice, as though someone had pumped liquid nitrogen into his blood.  No!  He had to stay awake.  He stretched his senses, tried to ignore the block of ice that spread from his stomach to his neck and eyes, heard Kagome whimper next to him, and--smelled the scent of Narek’s blood?
-_-_-_-_-
‘Look up you fool.’
-_-_-_-_-
His neck cracked as he forced his head upward and saw Narek press his body and lips against Lilliana.  Suddenly the pain in his body disappeared.  The ice that had been tormenting him numbed everything except the rush of the blizzard inside him.  Rage, not fueled by passionate indignation, pressed over him like snakes slithering over his skin.  He felt hollow, his emotions peeled away from him one by one, leaving him with a calm wish for only one thing: the need to kill.    
 -_-_-_-_-
‘You want to make him suffer don’t you?’
-_-_-_-_-
Yes. He did.
-_-_-_-_-
Give in.  Let me guide you.  Let me help you kill him.
 -_-_-_-_-
He couldn’t feel his arms and legs, but he knew that he was standing.  The world around him faded and he could only see directly ahead, as though he were looking through a tunnel.  His enemy stood at the end.  He took a step, and Narek turned around when he heard the sound of it.  ‘Let’s rip that disgustingly beautiful face to pieces.’  Narek flashed away just as Inuyasha’s hand collided with the tree.  Wood crackled and burst apart, but he didn’t care for destroying bark.  He wanted flesh.  As he looked around and locked onto Narek, he noticed that his enemy was carrying someone. A woman.  She was in the way.     
-_-_-_-_-
‘‘You will release her.’’  Came the echo of his two voices.       
-_-_-_-_-
His enemy lifted an eyebrow.  Slowly, he lowered the sleeping girl onto the ground.  He stepped away from her, faced Inuyasha, and, the second the two men’s eyes connected, Narek’s features contorted into a nasty smile.  He leapt forward, and Inuyasha felt a tiny twinge in his icy armor as a knife sliced into his shoulder.  ‘‘Ah, that’s it.  I can feel your wrath.  Let me add fuel to the fire for you.’’ Narek twisted the knife, pulled it out, and then Inuyasha felt himself being thrown backward as Narek’s fist collided with his chest.
-_-_-_-_-
The dirt flew upward as Inuyasha’s feet skidded to a stop.  He flew at Narek, throwing his fists into him without stopping, even when he felt the impact of Narek’s own punches on his arms, his injured shoulder, and his torso.  The blows against his body went unnoticed, as insignificant as flies hitting his skin.  He only wanted to destroy the man in front of him.  Their violent dance went on for seconds, hours, was it years?  Fists and kicks blurred together as the two of them stood on equal ground for a while.  Inuyasha felt his limps get slower the longer they clashed.  He felt liquid flying off him, his sight blinked in and out of blackness, but he didn’t want to stop.  He wanted to kill and kill and kill.  He wanted to rip the man before him apart and then revel in crushing the pieces.  He wanted to hurt Narek, he wanted to hurt himself, and it wasn’t enough.  Even when Narek jumped back from him, whipping his bloody lip, Inuyasha wanted more, wanted to enjoy more.
 -_-_-_-_-
He aimed for Narek’s chest, slicing his shirt, and feeling the delicious softness of flesh scratch against his claws.  Narek grabbed his arm and shoulder and threw him into the grass.  Inuyasha tasted a mouthful of dirt and citrisy grass as his face pressed into the dirt.  He pushed himself up, only to be slammed back down by Narek’s foot on his back.
-_-_-_-_-
‘‘Ah, you’ve awakened the inner monster.’’
-_-_-_-_-
Narek’s boot smashed into the back of his head.  ‘‘There is nothing I would love more then to continue making you bleed.  I wonder which will destroy you first, this world, or the creature that has awakened within you.  I hope you give me a good show.’’
-_-_-_-_-
The presence of his enemy faded.  No!  He hadn’t killed him yet! Inuyasha jumped up the moment he couldn’t feel Narek’s foot on his back, but was too late.  He needed to follow his scent, to find him, to kill him and—warmth?  There was something on his back, something hot, and it was melting him.   
-_-_-_-_-
‘‘Stop!  Please! Inuyasha stop it!  You’re going to bleed to death!’’
-_-_-_-_-
Something clicked, like the spark of a match being lighted.  Slowly, the light illuminated the darkness in his mind, as that tiny match became a series of candles.  He looked down at his stomach.  Two trembling arms held his middle tightly.  Someone was holding onto him, sobbing into his back.  Then he felt it.  Pain.  All over his body.  The return of both emotional and physical sensation was so jarring that he felt as though he were going to pass out and throw up at the same time.  It was only the arms and the warmth that kept him standing.  ‘‘K-Kagome?’’
-_-_-_-_-
Mat e.’
-_-_-_-_-
Frightened, he unlaced her arms from his middle and pushed her away.  The abrupt movement caused his muscles to clench.  He fell.  For a few seconds he could see only the black sky and the red moon, until Kagome appeared in the corner of his vision.  Her hair was a messy clump that stuck to her sweaty skin, and she was shaking all over.  ‘‘Inuyasha!  Can you hear me?’’
-_-_-_-_-
He squeezed his eyes shut and groaned.  ‘‘What happened?’’
-_-_-_-_-
‘‘I don’t know!  One minute you’re on the floor, the next you’re hacking away at Narek non-stop, even after he stabbed you over and over!  Here!’’
-_-_-_-_-
She thrust her cut wrist until his nose.  ‘‘No!’’ He turned his head away from her offering.
-_-_-_-_-
‘‘Are you out of your mind?  You’ve lost so much blood!  Are you trying to get yourself killed?’’
-_-_-_-_-
What had he been fighting over?  He sat upright as a picture appeared in his mind, reminding him of more important matters.  ‘‘Lilliana!  Is she okay?’’
-_-_-_-_-
‘‘She’s fine.  Just knocked out.  Come on, drink from me.  You’re going to need it.’’
-_-_-_-_-
‘‘I can’t.  I might-’’
-_-_-_-_-
‘‘Don’t be stupid!  Yes you can!  I’ll be fine.’’
-_-_-_-_-
He pushed her wrist away when she tried again.  Kagome growled, and, for the first time ever, he found himself overpowered by her as she grabbed hold of both his wrists, bit her lip, and pressed her trembling lips against his.  Everything faded, his pain, his fear, and only the taste of her blood remained.  How long had it been since he had drank from her last?  The sweet and sour wine soothed him, and he felt some warmth return to his body, felt the holes in his chest and stomach begin to close, heard her heart beating fanatically.  What he wouldn’t give to hear her blood sing for him as well.
-_-_-_-_-
‘‘Mate.’’
-_-_-_ -_-
Inuyasha opened his eyes, pulled his hands free, and pushed Kagome off, gasping for air, hoping it would replace the taste of her, and hopefully clear his mind from the primal haze that had settled in it.  ‘‘What’s gotten into you?  Can’t you just accept help for once you stubborn moron?  Is looking macho more important then dying for you?’’
-_-_-_-_-
Inuyasha looked at her, his mate.  She scoffed and turned her eyes away from him, standing.  He watched her walk away, grumbling.  ‘‘Why am I even worrying about you?  You just can’t get over that stupid grudge.’’  She was walking toward something.  
-_-_-_-_-
Inuyasha bolted upright, his pain forgotten, and rushed past Kagome.  He sat in the black grass, pulling Lilliana’s upper half upright.  Her heart was still beating.  The image of Narek kissing her sprang into his mind and his heart blackened with rage as a wave of murderous intent swept over him.  He sucked in air and squeezed his eyes shut.  ‘‘No! You won’t take over me again!’’ He whispered.  The rage pressed against him, pounding against his head.  
-_-_-_-_-
He wheezed with the effort of keeping control over his own mind.  The fire from his wounds resurfaced, and no matter how much he tried to focus on the pain so that he wouldn’t think, questions came unbidden.  It was a huge mental strain, like a boulder crushing his head, to think about what had happened to him and maintain his self-control at the same time.  The moment he looked at Narek, saw him force himself on one of his own, his thoughts had flown from his mind.  All that had been left of him was an icy void where only one thing had dominated: pure pleasure from the thought of killing him.  
-_-_-_-_-
‘‘I-Inuyasha?’’
-_-_-_ -_-
Kagome stared at him without blinking, and he could already see despair creeping into her expression.  The longer he stared without saying anything, the more frightened she appeared.  It was only when she turned her eyes to Lilliana that Inuyasha realized she wasn’t afraid for the same reasons that he was.  Slowly, as though it took his mind much more force to process, he put together the words that would ease her fears.  ‘‘She’s alive.’’  Kagome let out a shaky breath and knelt next to him.  She brushed Lilliana’s hair away from her face just as Lilliana opened her eyes.  After a moment, she jerked away from Inuyasha’s hold, standing.  ‘‘Where’s Narek?’’
-_-_-_-_-
‘‘Gone.  Good riddance.’’
-_-_-_-_-
Lilliana looked at Inuyasha and flinched.  ‘‘What did he do to you?’’  She reached for his ripped shirt, pulled it up, and let out a painful moan when she saw the wounds closing.  ‘‘Never mind me!’’ Inuyasha pulled his shirt back down.  ‘‘I’ll heal!  The real worry is what did he do to you.’’
-_-_-_-_-
‘‘What he did to me?  What are you talk-’’  Lilliana sank to her knees.  ‘‘Oh god.’’ She pressed a hand against her neck.  ‘‘He made me drink from him.’’
-_-_-_-_-
‘‘Lilliana.’’ Inuyasha beckoned.  She moved toward him.  ‘‘Sorry.’’ Lilliana lurched forward as his fist rammed into her stomach.
-_-_-_-_-
‘‘What the hell is wrong with you!Ó  His head whipped sideways as Kagome’s palm collided with his cheek, but he didn’t take his eyes of Lilliana.  She heaved, but she didn’t spit out blood. ‘‘Damn. Your body has already absorbed it.’’  If there was ever a look that would make him want to cry, it was the terrified expression Lilliana gave him right then.
-_-_-_-_-
‘‘You didn’t have to hit her, moron!’’ Kagome snapped.  ‘‘Did he force you to drink his venom as well?’’ Kagome said as she reached for Lilliana’s shoulder and squeezed reassuringly. ‘‘Do you feel weak?’’
-_-_-_-_-
‘‘No.  I feel fine.’’
-_-_-_-_-
Kagome nudged Inuyasha.  ‘‘Does that mean he initiated the mating ritual with her?  How long before her body realizes and the venom starts to affect her?’’
-_-_-_-_-
‘‘I can’t be sure.  Mating involves exchanging blood and venom with your partner, and synchronizing your heartbeat with theirs.  Lilliana didn’t give him anything and there’s also no way of knowing if he matched his heartbeat with hers before he gave her his blood and venom.’’  His focused on the skin of Lilliana’s face.  ‘‘Only time will tell.’’
-_-_-_-_-
‘‘No.’’ Lilliana said when Kagome looked at her. She looked away as a rosy color filled her cheeks. ‘‘This would be the first time I’ve ever tasted Narek’s blood.  He’s bitten me before.  Does that count?  But I’m not sure if he gave me any venom this time.  He cut his hand with a knife instead of using his claws or fangs before he--’’ She cleared her throat.
 -_-_-_-_-
Inuyasha watched as Lilliana’s cheeks drained of their blush.  His eyes roamed over her face, taking note of its sudden smoothness.  The dark circles under her eyes had faded, her pupils had become wider, and her eyes had a natural shine to them that he hadn’t noticed before.  He looked at Kagome and then said to Lilliana, ‘‘your eyes have stopped bleeding.’’
-_-_-_-_-
Lilliana tested his statement. When her hands came away clean, she said, ‘‘but, Kagome’s still bleeding.’’
-_-_-_-_-
Kagome pressed a hand against her cheek and, the second she did, she opened her mouth and then glared hard at Lilliana.  ‘‘Oh, that bastard.  I see what he did.’’
-_-_-_-_-
‘‘What?’’
-_-_-_-_-
‘‘It’s just like with Inuyasha.  He cut into his arm and then passed his hands over Inuyasha’s wounds.  I don’t know how, but I think Narek uses his blood to heal.  That must be why you don’t feel any pain, and why your eyes are no longer bleeding.’’
-_-_-_-_-
‘‘He healed me?  I’d rather be tired and bleeding.’’
-_-_-_-_-
That’s what I said after I found out he healed me. Inuyasha thought.
-_-_-_-_-
‘‘I see.  This is just like ten years ago, when that mating mark appeared on my chest but it was only from the cut Narek gave me when he bit me.  I didn’t die then, I healed.’’
-_-_-_-_-
‘‘Why would Narek heal you again?’’ Inuyasha said.  ‘‘What’s to gain from it?  He didn’t blackmail you like he did to Kagome when he offered to heal me.’’
-_-_-_-_-
Kagome and Lilliana exchanged a look and then averted their eyes from each other.  Inuyasha noticed yet another blush surface on Lilliana’s features. ‘‘If there is something you’re not telling me Lilliana-’’
-_-_-_-_-
‘‘I’m not hiding anything.’’ She said hastily.  Yet the red in her cheeks only deepened, and she covered her chest with her arms.  Next to her, Kagome turned her head away, avoiding his eyes.  
-_-_-_-_-
‘‘I will never let him have you.’’ Inuyasha swore.  He stood and motioned for the women to follow.  ‘‘We need to get moving.’’
`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~` ~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~ `~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~` ~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~ `~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~` ~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~ `~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~` ~`~`~
Kagome stared at Inuyasha’s back.  They had been walking in silence, each with their own thoughts.  Beyond Inuyasha, Lilliana took the lead, as she was the healthiest.  Kagome bit her lip.  Neither she nor Lilliana could ever tell him why they suspected Narek would heal her wounds.  If Inuyasha ever found out about Lilliana’s stunt back at Lucy’s home, there was no telling how he would react. The thought of being at the receiving end of his anger made Kagome feel lightheaded and weak.  She couldn’t imagine how Lilliana would feel if Inuyasha ever threw his ire at her.  Then again, perhaps Lilliana would take it better since she didn’t have any deeper wounds with Inuyasha to bring out the full brunt of his fury.   
-_-_-_-_-
It was understandable, though.  Inuyasha had turned Lilliana into a nightwalker.  Even if he denied feeling any special bond for her, since it was Rukiya, not Inuyasha, that raised her as a nightwalker, Kagome still felt that Inuyasha and Lilliana had a special bond.  She was already well acquainted with Inuyasha’s overly protective nature.  Yet, few people in the family, other then herself, made him as defensive as Lilliana did.  She’s seen him fly into a rage over Lilliana before, ten years ago.  Yet, Kagome thought, this time it was different.  The man she had seen hours ago, it was so unlike the Inuyasha back then.  Sure he was angry, and yes, he did attack Narek with the same ferocity as he had done back then, but there was something harsher, colder about him in that moment.  He wouldn’t stop attacking, even when Narek had thrust that terrible knife into his torso over and over, it was as though he felt nothing but the need to destroy.  Maybe it had been her imagination, but Kagome thought she saw him smile.
-_-_-_-_-
It was the first time she had seen him fight without hearing him make a sound.  During battle, he was a ferocious beast, fighting his enemies with battle cries that seemed only to motivate him to cut down his opponent even more.   Yet even as Narek’s knife plunged into his skin, he didn’t whimper in pain, yell or cry out, he just attacked.  Kagome wondered, would his reaction be just as cold if she were in Lilliana’s place?    
-_-_-_-_-
Maybe not, after the fight they just had, with all the ugly truths out in the open and no way to know if they can ever fix them, Kagome wasn’t sure what was going to happen.  At least, at that point they could look at each other and work together, even if there was a distance.  In front of her, Inuyasha paused, his new ears twitching.  Kagome had to suppress a humorless laugh.  Cute ears followed by that horrible display earlier; just what had happened to him?  At least his wounds had healed, even though, Kagome frowned, he had refused her aid.  
-_-_-_-_-
She smacked her palm against her cheek.  Now was not the time to dwell on those thoughts.  As if summoned by her mind, Lilliana spoke in a low voice.  ‘‘We’ve been walking for hours.  I’m getting worried.  We should have seen some change by now, the moon should have moved, the sun should have risen, or something.  Why aren’t there any stars?’’
-_-_-_-_-
It was true, only black sky and the perfectly round, red moon loomed over them.  ‘‘Maybe what Narek said was true.’’
-_-_-_-_-
‘‘There’s no reason to trust whatever he says.’’ Inuyasha said.
-_-_-_-_-
‘‘One day in the human world is equal to one year in Xenith.’’ Lilliana said.
-_-_-_-_-
‘‘No way.’’ Just how long had Narek been here if that were the case, Kagome wondered.  Was that why the scenery around them hadn’t changed in the last few hours?  No matter how far they ran or walked, on and on, all that surrounded them was the endless meadow, and the edges of the dark forest they had come out of.  Did they move sluggishly since time there was slower?  And if this were the world of nightwalkers, why hadn’t they encountered a nightwalker of this world yet?
-_-_-_-_-
The sound of a familiar voice rang in Kagome mind.  She had met another nightwalker.  His presence had vanished so quickly, leaving none of his scent behind, as though he were never there at all.  ‘‘He had to have gone somewhere.  He couldn’t have stayed in the forest, and if he came out here, why haven’t we found a trace of him.  Is there some secret way of navigating this place?’’
 -_-_-_-_-
‘‘What are you mumbling about Kagome? Do you know something?’’
-_-_-_-_-
‘‘I met ano--’’
 -_-_-_-_-
The soil beneath her crackled and roared and then split apart.  Kagome jumped backward as the ground she was standing on crumbled into a large pit that had formed between her and Inuyasha.  The growling of the earth didn’t stop.  Dust exploded in front of her.  From the dark hold in front of her, something large, wide and round flew up into the sky, and Kagome only had a second to gawk at it before it turned in the air and flew straight down at her.  Four rows of red teeth grew bigger as they came closer.  Screaming, Kagome jumped out of the way, feeling the rush of the creature burrowing into the ground behind her.
-_-_-_-_-
Lilliana screamed.  Behind her, the gigantic worm burst from the ground and slithered forward, whacking her with its tail and knocking her over.  She tumbled and then regained her feet enough to yell at them to run, but before any of them could move, the creature moved with surprising speed, encircling around all of them with its massive body.  Inuyasha leapt forward, trying to slice into it, but its brown, shiny, leathery hide made Inuyasha’s claws bounce off of it.  The monster retaliated, it lurched forward, and the last thing Kagome saw before her world went black was the four rows of teeth surrounding her and her friends.
`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~ `~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~` ~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~ `~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~` ~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~ `~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~` ~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~
 216;‘Hey!  Come on, wake up!’’  
-_-_-_-_-
The voice was too loud.  Kagome just wanted to sleep.  ‘‘Open you eyes!’’
-_-_-_-_-
Red light greeted her eyes as Kagome opened them.  Someone was leaning over her.  Kagome blinked as something soft caressed her face.  ‘‘Can you hear me?  You’re going to be all right!’’
-_-_-_-_-
A girl?  Her long, black hair came into focus first, followed by large brown eyes.  Kagome felt her heart do a back flip in her chest.  The girl leaning over her didn’t just look familiar. Kagome felt as though she were looking into a mirror, for she wasn’t just looking at a stranger, she was looking at a more beautiful version of herself.  Too weak to think about it, Kagome’s world was swallowed by blackness.   
{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{} {}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{ }{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{} {}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{ }{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{} {}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{ }{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{} {}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{ }{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}
A/N
Once again, thank you in advance to all those that are gracious enough to wait for these chapters, read and review, and I apologize again for any remaining grammar mistakes.  Thank you guys so much and happy holidays!  Till next time!
-_-_-_-_-
Jian.