InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Midnight Blood ❯ Divided ( Chapter 17 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{} {}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{ }{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{} {}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{ }{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{} {}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{ }{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{} {}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

Author’s Notes
Yeah, it’s been a WHILE.  Needless to say, that, while I have been writing this chapter, for a while, I also have some pretty sucky stuff going in life on right now, but I won’t bore you with my sob stories.  I’m sorry it took so long.  Aw well, better late then never.  SoooÉhere’s the next chapter.   
Also, I’ve noticed that Mediaminer is being more finicky then usual.  It’s getting kind of annoying, not being able to upload when I want to, and to have to fiddle with the formatting so that it’s readable.  Now even reviews are not showing upÉand I’m starting to worry that the sight may be headed to a slow end.  I’m going to start, slowly, but surely uploading my fics to other sights, maybe fanfiction.net, or devientart.com so that the files are not lost, if anyone is worried about that.  Either way, the fics will be under the same title and username, so if any of my readers want to find them, should the worst case scenario happen, that’s the best way to search, since I’m not sure mediaminer will accept direct links.   
Also, in case you wish to review, and don’t get the chance, feel free to shoot me an e-mail.  I always look forward to hearing from readers, so don’t be shy.
Disclaimer: I don’t own Inuyasha, nor do I take credit for Rumiko Takahashi’s genius.
{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{} {}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{ }{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{} {}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{ }{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{} {}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{ }{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{} {}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}
REVIEWERS
@REVIEWERGODDESS: Wow, you only get more awesome with each review.  If there were a review award, I’d give it to you.  Thank you SO much for your nice words.  I read that review so many times, I think I may have memorized a part of it!  I love how close you got to predicting the actual future.  Really close, but again, I’m tricky like that.  Now, I can’t say that being in the nightwalker world is like a free pass.  And yes, I do put people through the ringers, but I’m hardly that cruel. Especially since I’m a sucker for happy endings, no matter the route I take to get there.  Know that whatever I do, I do to get to get to a point.  I have an endgame, but the road there has to be hard, or else it won’t be rewarding.
{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{} {}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{ }{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{} {}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{ }{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{} {}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{ }{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{} {}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}
Part Seventeen: Divided
{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{ }{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{} {}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{ }{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{} {}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{ }{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{} {}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{ }{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}





Sesshoumaru leaned forward in his seat as son walked into the room.  The boy couldn’t have picked a better moment for the eyes of several nightwalker family heads locked on the child, who blushed at the sudden attention.  ‘‘What is it, Taiki.’’ Sesshoumaru said.  The family heads, several nightwalker leaders that had come to him with complaints over the sudden string of attacks in the area, remained silent yet still stared at the child.  Taiki shifted uncomfortably.  Sighing, Sesshoumaru apologized to the leaders, walked over to his son, and picked him up.  ‘‘Perhaps it would be prudent to pause this meeting.  Let us return in half an hour.’’       
`~`~`~`~`
Varied objections reached his ears, but Sesshoumaru ignored them as he walked out of the room.  Despite all the criticisms of the family heads he had to deal with over the years, no nightwalker family had the strength or conviction to rise up against his rule, especially considering he had powerful allies among other powerful nightwalker families.  Opposing his leadership at this time would only leave the nightwalker world in chaos since, without a leader, the families would turn only to their own members, alienating themselves from other nightwalkers, which would create power struggles between powerful families.  Without a stable family regulating the nightwalker world, any nightwalker could reveal their kind to humanity, any act of injustice toward human and nightwalker alike would go unpunished, or wrongfully revenged by a twisted view of justice, and no one would take care of the current crisis.  It was an effort alone to keep their world hidden when his father was in power.  Under his father’s rule, nightwalkers hadn’t cared about cleaning up after their messes, thus a human faction made specifically to deal with nightwalkers appeared ten years before.  Destroying all their human facilities and clearing up any memory of their existence had taken some effort.  For humans to be begin questioning again would be a disaster.
`~`~`~`~`
‘‘Father?’’
`~`~`~` ~`
Sesshoumaru put the boy down on the floor gently.  ‘‘What’s the matter?’’
 `~`~`~`~`
‘‘Mommy’s gone.’’
`~`~`~`~`
Sesshoumaru raised an eyebrow.  He stretched his awareness.  Kagura’s scent was faded.  She had left some time ago.  He couldn’t sense her presence, but he did not sense that she was in danger either.  Leaving Taiki was unlike her.  She rarely let their son out of her sight, not at least without being sure that he was supervised.  The boy had a knack for getting into unfavorable situations.  ‘‘When you see her last?’’
`~`~`~`~`
‘‘I was eating my snack and I heard footsteps, and then she was gone.’’
`~`~`~`~`
Sesshoumaru followed Taiki as the child led him to the last place he saw his mother.  ‘‘This isn’t right.’’  Said Albier as he paced around the living room with his thumb between his fangs.
`~`~`~`~`
Bill flipped a page of the book he was reading without looking up.  ‘‘Quit your bitching.  I’m stuck here just like you are.’’  
`~`~`~`~`
‘‘But we should be doing something.  Anything.  Kagome’s gone, then Lilliana disappeared, now Inuyasha.  We should be looking for them.’’
`~`~`~`~`
‘‘He’s right!  We can’t just sit here forever worrying about Blue, Lilly and Grumpy.’’  Claire added, yanking the book out of her brother’s hands.  ‘‘I hate being stuck here, not knowing what happened to them or even if they’re still alive.’’
`~`~`~`~`
Bill sighed.  ‘‘So what do you purpose we do?  Leave one by one and disappear one by one.  Right now, we need information. Besides,’’ he snatched his book back from his sister’s hands, ‘‘Christiano and Rukiya are already out looking nightly.’’
`~`~`~`~`
‘‘How can you be so relaxed about this?’’  Albier said.
`~`~`~`~`
Bill shut his eyes tightly and took a deep breath.  ‘‘Believe me, I’m just as worried as you are.  However, we have a responsibility to the nightwalker world.  We can’t just halt our investigations, fly off the emotional handle, or leave when we may be needed, family member or no family member.  Besides, are you saying that the two of you are better trackers then Rukiya and Christiano?’’
`~`~`~`~`
‘‘Indeed.’ 217; Sesshoumaru said as he walked into the room.  Taiki stumbled in behind him.  Albier and Claire stood as though they were commanded too and looked at him expectedly.  ‘‘Seshoumaru, can’t we-’’
`~`~`~`~`
‘‘Claire.’’  She closed her mouth, but continued to glare at him.  ‘‘Have any of you seen Kagura?’’  
`~`~`~`~`
Headshakes and confused stares were his answer.  Concern mixed in Sesshoumaru’s chest.  Kagura wouldn’t leave with the leaders in the house.  As much as she liked insisting on her freedom, even to the point of ignoring his wishes at times, she wasn’t one to put their family’s credibility at risk by taking such disrespectful actions.  He stretched his awareness further, seeking Rukiya’s mind but she must have been too far for his thoughts did not reach her.  Taiki tugged nervously at his pants’ leg and Sesshoumaru softly caressed the child’s crown to soothe him.  ‘‘What do you feel, Taiki?’’         
`~`~`~`~`
His son looked up at him and closed his eyes.  ‘‘I’m scared.  Something isn’t right.’’
`~`~`~`~`
His concern morphed in drumming tension in his mind this time.  Nightwalker children were sensitive to the well being of their parents, and he didn’t doubt his son’s senses.  Following the disappearance of his brother and his mate, it wouldn’t be a good sign if they lost the nightwalker queen too.  Belief in his family was already shaken.  If something were to happen to the mate of the nightwalker king, the last thread of respect the nightwalker world held for him would be cut.  He ordered Bill, Claire and Albier to watch Taiki.  Walking back into the meeting room, he faced the nightwalker leaders, listened to their concerns one by one, gave them his practiced speech and reassurances, and excused them.  When the leaders were gone, he returned to his son and the others.  ‘‘Watch Taiki.  Bill, with me.’’
`~`~`~`~`
Without a word, Albier and Claire gently ushered Taiki out of the room as Bill and Sesshoumaru left. Kagura’s scent grew stronger as they neared the city, despite the heavy mixture of smoggy air, an odd occurrence.  The trail led them to an area near a freeway.  Cars zoomed above a bridge that covered a small green gap in the ground.  Kagura’s scent permeated the area as though she was among the weeds and bushes, but a search did not reveal her.  Sesshoumaru signaled for Bill to continue onward, yet, strangely, the man didn’t rush to comply.  He stood as though he were confused and hadn’t heard the order, before he swayed and then fell to the ground.  
`~`~`~`~`
Sesshoumaru would have checked over his comrade had he not realized that he was suddenly rooted to the dirt and couldn’t move.  ‘‘If there is someone out there, make yourself known.  Deception of this kind is beneath me.’’
`~`~`~`~`
To his surprise, a girl appeared right in front of him.  He raised a brow at the unanswered question of how she seemed to appear from nothing but air, but gave her no other physical response.  ‘‘Am I correct in assuming that you lead me here using my mate’s scent as bait?’’
`~`~`~`~`
‘‘Perceptive.  Yes, your majesty, I have your mate.  Rest assured, however, she is unharmed.’’
`~`~`~`~`
‘‘And you are?’’
`~`~`~`~`
‘‘Lucy.’’
`~`~`~`~`
‘‘You are unfamiliar to me.’’
`~`~`~`~`
‘‘As I should be.  I make it my business to watch over the nightwalker world and guide it in the right direction without calling attention to my existence.’’  The girl gave him a satisfied smile, yet he felt a tiny match of irritation spark to life within him.  He ignored it.
`~`~`~`~`
‘‘I doubt you’ve brought me here for that revelation.  You want something from me.  Speak.’’
`~`~`~`~`
She girl waved her hand and Sesshoumaru suddenly felt his muscles relax despite the fact that he hadn’t been tensing them.  Upon further investigation, he found that he could move his body again.  ‘‘You are correct.  I ask that you hear me out, and then I will return your mate to you, unharmed.’’
`~`~`~`~`
Sesshoumaru turned his back on her, as though he were preparing to leave.  Bill’s body was still sprawled on the floor, but he could hear the man breathing.  ‘‘One would wonder why I should give you my time when you would resort to such means to get my attention.  It is very bold of you to kidnap a King’s mate, attack his family member and then expect him to patiently listen to your demands.’’
`~`~`~`~`
‘‘That’s quite an unemotional mask you wear.  As I currently hold your mate’s fate in my hands, it would be prudent for you to listen to what I have to say.’’
`~`~`~`~`
Sesshoumaru faced her, this Lucy, and waved his arm, palm upward, in front of him. He listened without uttering a single question and she spoke of unbelievable things.   ‘‘A world in which nightwalkers live, where the sun never shines, and humans becoming monsters, that is quite a lot to ponder.’’
`~`~`~`~`
‘‘It is the truth.  Those slaves your family has been fighting will only increase in number if an opening is made between this world and that one.  If you think the slaves are troublesome, you haven’t seen anything yet.’’
`~`~`~`~`
Despite the far-fetched nature of her stories, humans being the creatures they were fighting, another world in which the supernatural existed, a nightwalker in that world creating the monsters that were attacking his people, Sesshoumaru was not unfamiliar with strange occurrences.  If the rules that governed his past were able to be falsified, such as the fact that a fourth generation nightwalker can be brought into being, then surely there was some plausibility in Lucy’s stories.
`~`~`~`~`
‘‘You have not answered my question.  What is it you wish of me?’’
`~`~`~`~`
Lucy raised her head high, baring her neck.  ‘‘From what I can see, so far there are lesser slaves in the area, for now.  I have already found one opening between this world and Xenith within the city.  There may be more.  They must all be sealed.  Once that is finished, all slaves must be hunted down and killed.  Then there is the trouble of finding their master, but one thing at a time.  The gates must be destroyed first.  To do this, I require people to search for openings.  What I’m saying is,’’ Lucy bent down on one knee before him, ‘‘I am offering you my knowledge in exchange for your help in finding and closing those gates, as well as eradicating all remaining slaves.’’       
`~`~`~`~`
‘‘A deal that sounds too good to refuse.’’
`~`~`~`~`
Lucy did not move from her kneeling position.  ‘‘This may be your only chance.  If anything from that world leaks into this one, it would destroy everything you and your family have worked to create after the false nightwalker king’s death.  You have already seen what one nightwalker from that world can do, what you do if an army crossed over and created their slaves?  The nightwalkers under you are calling for action.  Is this not the course you were seeking?  Every moment we waste waiting for action, is another moment when a nightwalker from that world will pass through and cause more chaos.’’
`~`~`~`~`
‘‘You paint a dire picture.  Yet I know not whether you can be trusted.  You claim you will give us your knowledge?  Prove your words to me.’’
`~`~`~`~`
Lucy looked up at him, waiting.  ‘‘What do you know about my brother, his blood-child, and his mate?’’
`~`~`~`~`
‘‘Only that they are missing.  I can offer to help search for them with our coordinated efforts as well as tell you whatever else I know of that world and the beings within it.’’
`~`~`~`~`
Sesshoumaru stepped around her, focusing on her heartbeat and scent.  Nothing.  It was as though the nightwalker were not there at all.  He knew of ways to minimize his presence to humans and other nightwalkers, but she was an anomaly: never had he met a nightwalker directly in front of him that he couldn’t somehow sense.  ‘‘I abhor deception.  It would be unwise to lie to me.’’
`~`~`~`~`
Lucy stood. ‘‘Indeed it would.’’
`~`~`~`~`
Sesshoumaru studied her, a child with untold knowledge and power, perhaps even years of experience he couldn’t fathom.  Was she human born or natural?  Her revelations bore more questions then answers, and he sensed an air or arrogance around her.  There was more then she seemed to care to reveal.  Instinct warned him. It was a dangerous tightrope he would be walking in the future.  ‘‘Return my mate to me and we shall be in contact.’’
`~`~`~`~`
‘‘What of my proposal?  If you do not offer your aid, I shall simply have to take matters into my own hands, though I doubt my efforts along would help your current political predicament.’’
`~`~`~`~`
An unspoken warning.  She played the game well.  ‘‘We shall be in contact.’’
`~`~`~`~`
Lucy nodded. She fell backward as a strong gust blew between them.  Sesshoumaru squinted against the sudden breeze.  When the air feel silent, Lucy was gone, and, in her place, Kagura was sound asleep in the grass.  Upon inspection, Sesshoumaru found that she was unharmed, just as Lucy had promised.
`~`~`~`~`
After a moment, Chase stirred.  His surprise at having found Kagura, as well as his questions as to why he collapsed, were silenced when Sesshoumaru picked up his mate and commanded that they all return home.  Thoughts of what he’d learned stirred in his mind.  Their true enemy was a nightwalker that existed in another world, in the birthplace of all true nightwalkers.  All it took was one nightwalker from that world to make an army of savage, mindless humans.  If what Lucy said was true, then their most immediate threat was indeed those gates.  
`~`~`~`~`
By the time they had reached their home, Kagura had awoken.  After a short reunion with Taiki, Sesshoumaru gathered all his family members, except for Albier, who was tending to Taiki, and relayed to them what he had learned.  When he was finished, his family members sat quietly.  Bill stared at Sesshoumaru with his mouth open.  ‘‘So, not only is there an entire other world that’s filled with only nightwalkers, and our enemy is there too?’’
`~`~`~`~`
Claire’s lip curled upward in a quizzical expression. ‘‘If it’s only nightwalkers, what do they eat?’’
`~`~`~`~`
‘‘She went out of her way to kidnap me from our own house.  Can you really trust everything she says?  What if she is one of the very nightwalkers she claims are coming from this ‘other world.’’’  Kagura said.
`~`~`~`~`
‘‘I sense that she is lying.’’  Her mate answered.  ‘‘There is more to her then she cares to reveal.  However, I doubt she is our true enemy, for now.  If she were, she wouldn’t have returned you to me.  Letting her existence be known, takes away her advantage of surprise as well.  Nevertheless, her use of extortion is a key signal that she is not fully trustworthy.’’  
 `~`~`~`~`
‘‘So why work with her?’’ Kagura said.
`~`~`~`~`
‘‘Knowledge.  She knows of things we do not.  If our cooperation would reveal whatever information she knows, whether helpful or hurtful, then I will work with her.  If what she says is indeed true, finding and closing those gates as of now should be our first priority.  That will keep new human slaves from being born.  We will deal with the rest as it comes.  Then we’ll confront her about what she truly knows about our missing family members, as well as who she really is.’’
`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~` ~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~ `~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~` ~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~ `~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~` ~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~ `~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~
Her head whooshed as she sat up.  Lost inside her own mind, where images and thoughts blended together in the strange haze that one felt between dreaming and waking, it took a moment for her eyes to adjust to her surroundings.  Instead of a meadow, which was the last thing she remembered before she had begun dreaming of giant worms and a beautiful girl with the same yet different face, she was in a room, in a bed, alone.  Kagome rubbed the crust out of her watery eye.  Had she really been dreaming?  One thing was for sure, she was getting tired of passing out and waking up in places she didn’t recognize.  At the very least, Kagome thought as she swung her legs over to the side of the bed, she didn’t wake up in Lucy’s house.  
`~`~`~`~`
The room around her was dark. Other then the white of the sheets on her bed, and the bed’s curtains, everything else was black, brown, and red.  The room was spacious, with wooden walls, floors, and furniture with delicate carvings.  On the wall to her right was a dome shaped window with blue glass.  Blue?  There was such a thing as a color beyond black and red?  Kagome made her way to it, and sat down on the sill.  The glass wasn’t blue; the color came from hundreds of tiny lights below her, like a sea of blue stars under her room in the sky.  Except they weren’t stars, they were lanterns.  
`~`~`~`~`
Below stretched an image of dark greens and glimmering blues, as the thick tops of trees blanketed the horizon.  Between the uneven heights of every tree were blue lights, floating and flickering as shadows jumped between them.  Kagome finally closed her mouth as she noticed that the red moon still hung overhead.  At least she knew which world she was in, and a room with a warm bed was much better then a meadow that didn’t end.  ‘‘Still doesn’t answer the question of exactly where I am.’’ She mumbled to herself.     
`~`~`~`~`
‘‘You are in the Spirit Woods, the innermost part of Ghost Forest.’’
`~`~`~`~`
Kagome turned around in a flash, barring her teeth.  The girl that was standing in the doorway flinched at her sudden movement, the contents of the tray in her hands jingling.  ‘‘Sorry, I didn’t mean to startle you.’’
`~`~`~`~`
‘‘What’s that?’’ Kagome pointed at the tray.
`~`~`~`~`
‘‘Water and meat.  I thought you might be hungry, most people are after they’ve been stuck in the Infinity Meadow.’’
`~`~`~`~`
‘‘The what?’’
`~`~`~`~`
‘‘The Infinity Meadow.’’ The girl repeated as she placed the tray down on a dresser.  ‘‘It’s where we found you.’’  Either she hadn’t noticed Kagome’s guarded stance, or she didn’t care, but the girl came closer without missing a single step.  ‘‘You can relax.  Why would I save you and then hurt you when you were feeling better?’’
 `~`~`~`~`
Kagome put her hands down, but she refused to take her eyes off the girl in front of her.  She was taller, paler, and her lips were fuller, yet her brown eyes had a golden hue within them, and her face was not as round.  It was the same yet different face.  Who was this girl?  ‘‘I owe you an apology.’’
`~`~`~`~`
Kagome finally blinked.  ‘‘Huh?’’
`~`~`~`~`
‘‘It was my fault you were attacked by that sea worm.’’
`~`~`~`~`
The girl jerked as Kagome fisted her shirt and brought her close. ‘‘Explain.’’
`~`~`~`~`
Her face didn’t betray any emotion.  When she spoke, her voice carried an air of warm calmness.  ‘‘It came too close to our home.  We managed to chase it out into the meadow, only for it to attack you out of anger.  We got you out of its stomach just in time though.’’
`~`~`~`~`
Kagome swallowed down a burning lump of acid.  She kept her grip firm, even though all she wanted to do was to drop the girl and vomit.  ‘‘What is the Infinity Meadow?’’
`~`~`~`~`
‘‘It gets its name from the illusion that makes the meadow seem like it goes on forever. It’s a stretch of land between Ghost Forest and the Desert on the other side.  In a way, it’s a good thing the sea worm attacked.  You would have died of exhaustion had we not found you.’’
`~`~`~`~`
‘‘Who’s ‘we?’’’
`~`~`~`~`
‘‘My brother and I.’’
`~`~`~`~`
‘‘And who are you?’’
`~`~`~`~`
‘‘My name is Sayo.’’
`~`~`~`~`
Kagome glared at her.  The girl’s gaze moved upward as though she were about to roll her eyes, but instead she closed them.  When she looked at Kagome again, she spoke softly.  ‘‘You can relax.  I promise I won’t hurt you.  You’re lost and confused, I understand.’’
`~`~`~`~`
Kagome didn’t budge, unsure of whether she should let the girl go or not.  Her stomach answered for her, by letting out a growl so loud it seemed to vibrate along the walls.  Kagome felt herself shiver as all the warmth in her body traveled to her face.  The girl, Sayo, bit her lip, though the corners of her cheeks rose.  Kagome let her go in favor of covering her face.  
 `~`~`~`~`
‘‘Thank goodness for that.  I get the feeling that being the dominant intimidator is not your style.  That was getting a little awkward.’’
`~`~`~`~`
Kagome uncovered her face to retort, only to find a plate of warm, fresh meat floating beneath her nose.  ‘‘All things considered, you should eat.’’ Sayo said, pushing the plate gently toward Kagome.  
`~`~`~`~`
Kagome took the plate with whispered thanks.  Sayo sat down on the bed staring at her as she took a large bite and swallowed.  It certainly didn’t smell or taste like anything she’d ever had before.  It was salty and thick, like jerky.  Suddenly a terrible thought clicked in her mind.  She looked down at the meat and gave Sayo a horrified look. ‘‘This isn’t that worm’s meat is it?’’
`~`~`~`~`
Sayo laughed.  ‘‘Of course not.  Sea worm hide is way too tough to be eaten.  Though we do use the skin for armor and furniture.’’
`~`~`~`~`
Kagome stifled the urge to gag.  She hoped to never see one of those giant monsters again.  Her appetite gone, she put the plate of food down on a table nearby and covered her mouth.  What other kind of horrible creatures existed in this world?  What kind of meat would nightwalkers here have, and where would they get their blood supply if there were no humans?
`~`~`~`~`
Kagome examined Sayo, searching her face, only to be confused at the curiosity in her excited smile.  She wore a long-sleeved, white robe that resembled a light yukata, except the robe parted where her legs were to reveal that she wore white pants underneath.  Her outfit had a crimson sash tightly bound on her waist, and she wore no shoes.  Kagome looked down at herself to discover that she was still wearing her sweater and jeans, which were surprisingly clean.  
 `~`~`~`~`
‘‘I washed them for you.  Or at least, I had them washed.  You were asleep for about two days, and I thought you would want your clothes back.’’
`~`~`~`~`
‘‘Uh, thanks.’’
`~`~`~`~`
‘‘So where are you from? I haven’t seen clothes like yours before.  Did you cross over to the human world?  Have you come from the desert?  Do you know what the Spider King is up to?  Wait, how did you get into the Infinity Meadow?’’ Sayo said suddenly.
`~`~`~`~`
‘‘What?’’
`~`~`~`~`
‘‘Oh.  I shouldn’t bombard you with all these questions when I’m sure there are still things you want to know first. Go on.’’
`~`~`~`~`
‘‘Um, well, I wasn’t alone in that meadow.  Where are-’’
`~`~`~`~`
‘‘Oh, you mean the girl and your half-mate.  They have their own rooms.  Your half-mate was really injured.  Our healer looked at him, and he seems to be doing better.  They were both still sleeping last I checked.’’  Sayo stood.  ‘‘I’ll take you to them.’’
`~`~`~`~`
As Kagome followed Sayo down a hallway with wooden walls and blue lanterns, she tried to make sense of what had happened.  Sure, the girl in front of her didn’t seem to have any malicious intent, yet deep within her own thoughts, Kagome couldn’t shake a nagging feeling of caution.  Thoughts of what Narek had told them came unbidden.  Lucy would rather have her dead then in this world, which meant that there was something, or someone, here that could cause unimaginable harm if they got their hands on her.  If what Narek said was true, whatever made her, Inuyasha, and Lilliana so special, it was enough to cause some sort of calamity, especially combined with whatever dangers this world could throw at them.  There was no way of knowing that Sayo wasn’t pretending to be nice in order to lure her into a false sense of security.  And just what was a half-mate?  Wasn’t Inuyasha her full mate?
`~`~`~`~`
There were so many questions about where they were, why and how they got there.  Kagome knew she could ask Sayo, but was unsure she wanted to give Sayo any information that she could use against them.  The most important thing was talking to Inuyasha and Lilliana.  Despite all the unanswered questions, one thing was for sure: she and her family members needed to stick together.
`~`~`~`~`
Sayo let out a very surprised, ‘‘oh.’’  Kagome looked over the top of Sayo’s head, just in time to see Lilliana and Inuyasha standing in the large room in from of them.  
`~`~`~`~`
Catching sight of Kagome, Lilliana ran up to her and gave her a really hard squeeze.  Inuyasha kept his distance, which, for some reason, make a burning feeling in Kagome’s chest.  She pushed down the urge to pull him aside and talk and instead pulled away Lilliana and looked them over.  Other then a few bruises still left on his face and neck, Inuyasha was looking much better then the beaten and exhausted man she’d seen in the Infinity Meadow.  Now all they needed was to find a place away from Sayo to discuss their next move.  As though she read her thoughts, Sayo’s voice floated in between Kagome and Inuyasha.
`~`~`~`~`
‘‘I’m glad to see you two finally conscious.’’
`~`~`~`~`
Inuyasha put his hand on Kagome’s shoulder and pushed her behind him.  He turned to glare at Sayo, but his glower quickly became a nervous scowl.  ‘‘You.’’
`~`~`~`~`
‘‘Do you know her, Inuyasha?’’
`~`~`~`~`
Inuyasha shook his head, his eyes fixed on Sayo.  Kagome followed his gaze as his eyes traveled from the top of Sayo’s dark black crown to the end of her long, black hair.  Taking a deep breathe through his nose, his disposition only became worse.  Kagome could see his shoulders trembling.  Yet, before she could question anything, a blue sphere of light floated into the room and circled around Sayo’s head like a halo.  
`~`~`~`~`
‘‘Lady Sayo, your Father wishes to see you.’’
`~`~`~`~`
Inuyasha stopped gaping at Sayo to direct his attention to the blue sphere instead.  He wasn’t the only one.  Kagome squinted at the blue ball, and looked next to her to see that Lilliana was doing the same.  ‘‘I can’t be the only one who heard that blue orb talk, right?’’ She said.
`~`~`~`~`
‘‘Thank you for the message.  I’ll go see Father as soon as I am finished helping out our guests.’’  Sayo said to the orb.
`~`~`~`~`
‘‘His lordship also asked that you bring the guests along.’’
`~`~`~`~`
Sayo frowned at the extra order, but thanked the orb again.  The blue ball of light swirled around her before Sayo held it between her palms and pushed the orb into her chest, where the light disappeared.  She faced Inuyasha with a smile, as though swallowing a ball of light with her chest was nothing special.  
 `~`~`~`~`
‘‘Well, where should I begin?’’ She mused.
`~`~`~`~`
‘‘How about answering what that blue thing was, why it talks, and what you did to it.’’ Lilliana offered.
 `~`~`~`~`
Inuyasha and Kagome gave her a sideways glance.  Lilliana shrugged.  ‘‘What?  You were curious too weren’t you?’’
`~`~`~`~`
Sayo giggled.  ‘‘It’s okay.’’  She looked at Kagome.  ‘‘Now I now how you felt earlier when I asked all those questions.  That reminds me, I don’t even know your name.’’
`~`~`~`~`
 ‘‘Kagome.  This is Inuyasha and Lilliana.’’
`~`~`~`~`
‘‘Pleased to meet you.  To answer your question, that blue light isn’t a light at all, it’s a soul.’’
`~`~`~`~`
‘‘Please tell me you’re trying to be funny.’’ Lilliana said.
`~`~`~`~`
‘‘No.  I’m serious.  Lots of souls wander here from the human world, and some from this world.  Souls that are full of unrest, hurt, spite, or are lost because they had too many unanswered questions.  They find their way here to the Spirit Woods, where I help look after and protect them.’’
`~`~`~`~`
‘‘I’ve never heard of a nightwalker with that kind of ability.  It’s impossible.  Forgetting the fact that a soul actually exists, how would a nightwalker be able to take care of them?’’ Inuyasha said.
`~`~`~`~`
‘‘Well, there are certain kinds of nightwalkers that can.  Revenants, like me.  Though, we’re pretty rare.  The only other revenant I know of is my mother.  We keep the souls hidden in our bodies to protect them, and, in exchange, the soul lets us use their energy.  Or we help the soul find its way to its next destination, be it the human world, or reincarnation in this one.  There are thousands of souls floating here in the Spirit Woods.  They float in here from the gate in Ghost forest.’’
`~`~`~`~`
‘‘Sounds like a hard job,’’ Lilliana said,  ‘‘dealing with the dead.’’
`~`~`~`~`
‘‘Oh it’s not that bad.  In addition to helping the dead find rest or sanctuary, I can also read the souls of the living and help them find things within themselves they never knew.  For example, you two,’’ She pointed at Kagome and Inuyasha, ‘‘your souls are uneasy.  Something happened between you that has shaken the foundation of your friendship and has left the two of you doubting if you can fix it.’’
`~`~`~`~`
‘‘Hey!  That’s none of your Goddamn business!’’ Inuyasha barked.
`~`~`~`~`
‘‘Are you angry because she’s peaking into your private thoughts, or because it’s true.’’  Kagome said under her breath.
`~`~`~`~`
‘‘It doesn’t matter!’’ Inuyasha rounded on her.  ‘‘Whatever I feel or you feel isn’t some open book that someone can read!  I say she’s full of shit.’’
`~`~`~`~`
‘‘You shouldn’t doubt what I see, especially since I know you’re lying.  There is something in you that’s come to life, and you’re afraid-’’
`~`~`~`~`
‘‘Shut up!’’
`~`~`~`~`
‘‘What about me?  What does my soul say?’’
`~`~`~`~`
‘‘Lilliana!  Don’t ask her to look into that!’’
`~`~`~`~`
Sayo tilted her head to the side and looked as though she were staring off into space.  ‘‘Hmm.  You’re worried about the well being of your friends. You’re annoyed by their antics, yet concerned for their happiness.  There’s something else too.  It’s deeper, but you have a fear of admitting something to yourself.  What that something is, I don’t know.  You’re soul is so full of turmoil yet you keep it all hidden under a wave of calmness.’’
`~`~`~`~`
‘‘I don’t understand.  You’re saying I’m in turmoil yet I’m calm at the same time?’’
`~`~`~`~`
‘‘No, that’s not it.  Unlike them,’’ She waved a hand at Kagome and Inuyasha, ‘‘who have more pressing worries, you have so much to think of that it’s all a jumbled mess, yet you hide it well.  Almost as though you’re trying to defend yourself from something.  From what you’re trying to protect yourself from, I have no clue.  I can see into a soul, but I’m not omnipotent, no revenant is.  Despite my ability, I can only see a fraction of who you really are, and only what’s on the surface.  My mother has stronger abilities of seeing into the state of someone’s soul.  Perhaps she could help you.’’
`~`~`~`~`
‘‘No, thank you. I prefer to keep my inner turmoil to myself.’’
`~`~`~`~`
‘‘And I would appreciate it if you didn’t look into any of our inner turmoil ever again.’’ Inuyasha said suddenly.  Sayo gave him a relaxed look, which seemed only to serve to irritate him more as he added, ‘‘Revenants, or whatever the fuck you are, don’t go looking into my soul as though it’s any of your business.’’
`~`~`~`~`
Sayo shook her head gently, as though hoping to placate him.  ‘‘I don’t do it intentionally, and I’m sorry if I offend you.  It’s something that comes with being what I am.  It’s like a scent; you smell it even without meaning to.  But I won’t let on what I know if it bothers you.  It’s just,’’ she looked from Inuyasha to Kagome, ‘‘if you two need help in figuring out how you feel about each other, I could help if you want me to.’’
`~`~`~`~`
‘‘I’m not sure if we’re even ready to talk about that to each other, let alone ourselves.’’ As soon as Kagome finished her sentence, she instantly brought her hand up to her mouth.  Why had she said that?  Inuyasha was right.  Whatever they were going through was none of Sayo’s business.  Plus, she didn’t even know if she could trust her.  She looked at Inuyasha, but instead of seeing the rage in his eyes, like she was expecting, his expression was full of disappointment.  In what?  In her?  Kagome grew annoyed.  If anyone had the right to be disappointed, she did.  She gave up her life to save his, after all the hell he had put her through, and he had the gall to be disappointed in her for being dishonest?   
 `~`~`~`~`
‘‘So what are you saying Kagome?  I’m ready and willing to admit anything to myself.  Are you?  Or are you lying to yourself too?’’
`~`~`~`~`
‘‘You know what Inuyasha, you can just-’’
`~`~`~`~`
‘‘It’s worse then I thought.’’
`~`~`~`~`
‘‘Stay out of it you little bitch.’’
`~`~`~`~`
‘‘Inuyasha, you’re really going too far.’’
`~`~`~`~`
‘‘You’re talking that stranger’s side now Lilliana?’’
`~`~`~`~`
Instead of snapping back at him, Lilliana only sighed.  ‘‘You’re an idiot.’’
`~`~`~`~`
‘‘Agreed.  I’m starting to regret ever saving this idiot by becoming his mate.’’
`~`~`~`~`
‘‘You know what, Kagome, I’m starting to wish the same thing.’’
`~`~`~`~`
‘‘If that’s truly how you two feel,’’ Sayo interrupted before Kagome could come up with a reply, ‘‘then why not sever your bond?’’
`~`~`~`~`
‘‘These two are mates, they’re going to have to learn to somehow stop being children and apologize to each other.’’
`~`~`~`~`
‘‘I don’t have to apologize for anything, Lilliana.’’ Inuyasha hissed.
`~`~`~`~`
‘‘That’s not what I meant.’’ Sayo continued.  ‘‘If you two truly feel as though you cannot mend your relationship, then why not break the link that holds you together as mates?’’
`~`~`~`~`
Inuyasha’s aghast expression matched Kagome’s disgusted one as she said.  ‘‘What are you saying?  You want us to kill each other?’’  
`~`~`~`~`
Sayo looked confused.  ‘‘It is possible to break the mating bond without killing a mate.  If both mates are alive, and their bond is weakened, then a revenant can break the chain holding them together.  You both can be free of the mating bond if you really wished it.’’
{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{} {}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{ }{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{} {}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{ }{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{} {}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{ }{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{} {}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}
A/N
Well, I do hope you enjoyed it!  Also hoping this didn’t exceed Reviewer Goddess’ angst threshold.  Reviews are always appreciated!  Once again, sorry for any grammar and spelling mistakes I’ve missed.  Till next time. Jian.   


      

&n bsp;