InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ My Favorite Fairy Tale ❯ Chapter 9

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Note: Kurai means dark, omnious, evil.

Inuyasha stared at the small glass bottle that held the shards. Resting in his palm, they glowed a soft pearlescent pink. The jewel was just a nails width over half formed. A warm clawed hand rested against his stomach.

"Worry about it in the morning. They are still cleaning up the shrine and there is nothing that we can do tonight. I have already given orders to all my people. Naraku thinks he can hide but he can not. The offense he has given to us on this day, has offended Yamatumi and Gyakusetsu, with the lords of the North and Central lands with us watching him. They have investigated the glass from Lord Minabi… and already troops are on their way to the South. Yet Minabi has always been an ally of mine, although news of him seeking a new magician has reached here. That glass was new, perhaps his new magician is not so loyal to him." Sesshomaru murmured, his hands stroking the warm stomach of his mate. "For now we rest, tomorrow we go find the future miko."

Inuyasha placed his hand over Sesshomaru's and nodded. He knew that Sesshomaru wanted to kill Kagome, he also knew that Sesshomaru would not kill Kagome while Inuyasha still wanted her alive. Laying down, he curled closer to his mate and fell asleep.

* * *

Minabi, Phoenix Lord of the South, glared at the messenger from the West. Less than a full day and the fox-captain stood before him, sweat dripping off him and demanding an answer. Minabi looked down at his daughter, her colors dull but her eyes bright.

"Captain, I sent the clear plate in all good faith. The idea that Naraku, that cursed spider, used it to attack the Western Lords is disturbing, for it was made at my direction by an old and trustworthy teacher. He had no help to create it, so whatever magic allowed Naraku to send his essence through it must have been emplaced during the construction. No sooner was it done than I took custody of it and it did not leave my hand until I had placed my strongest warding on it."

The black fox nodded and stumbled, "So my lords believed. Then they say this to you. Give us the head and blood of those responsible. Give us their knowledge. Give us payment for those who died. Give us those who have betrayed you and I."

Minabi closed his eyes and sighed. "Captain, the one who has made the mirror is in seclusion and will remain so for another two days. Take those two days to rest. At the end of that time, I shall make my decision."

The fox blinked, "What decision is there to make?"

The Southern Lord looked at the fox, "What decision? Whether to sacrifice my uncle or my daughter? Not to mention why has my uncle betrayed me. Go rest. The question shall be answered soon enough."

Minabi beckoned two guards and headed for his uncle's tower, there to find out why his blood had set him on the course for war.

* * *

Kagura stilled her feather, she could feel the presence of Naraku in her mind. Sighing at her master's continuing indecision, she banked the feather and headed back to the fortress. The child was still unconscious. As the feather settled on the ground softly, Kagura nodded to her master.

"Kagura, tell me, has she awoken yet?"

"No, my Lord."

"Good… take her to the camellia room on the second floor. Since Kikyou has betrayed us, perhaps Kagome would like to replace her."

Kagura bowed her head and raised her feather. I see… he plans to make her into a kurai miko. Her anger at the hanyou is warping her soul. Too bad, stupid child but it's her own fault.

Kagura blew open the door and hovered near the bed, rolling Kagome onto the futon, she covered her with a stuffed silk coverlet and left. Tomorrow, the child would start paying the price for her actions.

* * *

Kikyou watched as the demons rushed about on their business. The monk and her sister sat in consultation against the far wall while that repulsive toad actually showed his ability. Suddenly silence descended, causing the many voices to still. Kikyou turned towards the doorway. Inuyasha stood there, in a finer yet more causal red and gold kimono than yesterday. Jaken sprinted over to him, bowing low.

"My Lord. The courier we sent to the South has reported in. The glass plate was tampered with by its maker. However the Southern Lord has called up his land, Naraku is not there, that means he can only be in the Eastern Lady's land and of that only in the central or eastern parts. For he passed beyond our sight.

"As well, the Southern Lord has had a daughter, I have taken the liberty of finding an appropriate gift for the child. They saw the Lady Kagura flying towards the well of the bone eater last night. She paused as if listening to something then turned back. One of our spies reported the general area she went. Whether it is Naraku's main location, we do not know.

Sesshomaru walked up silently behind his mate and placed one hand on his mate's arm. Staring at the toad demon, he flicked one furry ear. "I see… Naraku has now done more than simply tried to attack me and mine, he has attempted to cross the borders with a war. Four lands of Japan shall rise up against the rebellious Fifth. Sound the call."

Jaken trembled at the thought but bowed and ran off.

Inuyasha stepped closer. "The call?"

"Each Overlord can call one or all of the lands up to war, but only in certain cases. If one of my lords decided to rebel, I would not send out The Call. I would deal with it. If it is a border lord and I believed him to be receiving help from another territory, I talk to the Overlord of the other territory to get thier permission to deal with his or her vassal. They also will be allowed to set boundaries of what is and is not allowed during my suppression. This is not that. He has sought to cast blame on the Southern Lands. If two Overlords fight, then the other Three would do their best to contain them. Imagine it, my mate. Two Overlords fighting, the Eastern lands refusing all help and in fact arming Naraku. Three regions already fallen. Overlord Yamatumi of the Mountain, do you know how hard it is to move people and supply lines in the mountains? Not to mention, the Northern Lord is somewhat … reclusive. Also Lord Yamatumi was fond of your father, and shares a fondness of this land, he would give us aid simply for that, with his attention on this war, that leaves Lord Gyakusetsu as the only uninvolved Lord to challenge Naraku."

Inuyasha shook his head. "And you deal with this all the time?"

Sesshomaru smiled. "And yet, I always had time to track you down."

"Yeah, well… you always were obsessive. Anything you thought you owned, you hated to share."

Sesshomaru stared at the younger half-demon. Moving away to glance at a map, he murmured. "No, only when it concerned you."

Inuyasha glanced at him before nodding to a fox waving at him.

End Part 9