InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ My Futures' Past ❯ Prologue ( Prologue )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

My Futures' Past
 
Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha, the well, the swords, or the tree. Hell, I don't even own my cat; she owns me. Inuyasha & co. belong to the illustrious Rumiko Takahashi and I am just borrowing them for my own guilty pleasures.
 
 
Prologue:
 
Higurashi Kagome was an average ninth grade middle school student living with her mother, little bother, and grandfather just outside downtown Tokyo. She did normal everyday things, went to school, hung out with her girl friends at WacDonald's, gossiped and did homework. She never paid much attention to her looks, although she was pretty. Wavy black hair, so dark it glinted with blue highlights, hung to her mid back and was cut across her forehead in choppy bangs to frame her bright blue-gray eyes, which were not common among most Japanese. Kagome was on the short side and curvier than most of her friends. She had a friendly attitude that extended to everyone regardless of what others thought of that person and it was her personality coupled with her beauty that earned her an admirer in the academically advanced yet socially naïve, Houjou, whom Kagome politely tried to pawn off on one of her friends with little luck.
 
The only other aspect of her life that could be considered unusual would be that Kagome lived in a shrine house with an ancient God Tree on the grounds. As a result of her upbringing (and her grandfather being a Shinto priest), Kagome knew more myths and legends by heart than most of the history teachers at her school. While she didn't enjoy listening to her grandfather prattle on about water kappa, dragon scales, and the dangers of demons, she did enjoy sneaking into the old storehouses and getting lost in the world of hand written kanji on delicate yellowed parchment. The history of the family shrine was recorded on the meticulously preserved documents dating back to the feudal ages. True stories about the founding of the shrine and the start of the Higurashi family line were interwoven with tales of demons and dark mikos and the jewel of four souls, which her shrine supposedly housed and protected until it somehow disappeared.
 
Now, Kagome was a levelheaded, modern teenager and didn't believe in demons or magical jewels, but the stories were much more enjoyable coming right off the pages of the shrine history than out the mouth of her somewhat eccentric and paranoid grandfather. Besides, it wasn't as if her grandfather's wards and sutras had any real power. They were just props to the show her grandfather put on for the shrine visitors, something he could sell along with his good luck charms and replica `Shikon Jewel' key chains in the gift shop.
 
At least that's what Kagome always believed. All that changed though on the evening of her fifteenth birthday. That night Kagome discovered the monsters that hid under the bed when you were little never really went away…and were even more frightening in person…