InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Omoide ❯ Omoide I ( Chapter 1 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

I don't own Inuyasha

Omoide I

Isighed as I picked the pentiful herbs in front of me, careful not to get grass stains on my kimono and enjoying the feel of the pleasant breeze and smiling as I heard Kachi laughing as he played with the other village children. I knew he should be concentrating on his half of the chores... but I didn't have the heart to scold him. He had just gotten over another illness, and I saw no problem with allowing him to play a little longer. As long as I didn't tell Mama, neither of us would get in trouble.

Shaking my head, I started humming to myself in tune with the song the children were now singing.

"kagayaku toki no naka de yume wa

aoku somaru darou

ushinau mono wa nani hitosu nai

ai sea areba

oo kono sekai ni toori tsuzukeru shika nai to ka

kokoro no naka ni kimi ga ita kara" *

Suddenly, there was the sound of something moving in the forest behind me. Startled, I turned to come face to face with a man. His left arm was gone, along with a good portion of his skull, and his eyes were empty and souless I screamed in horror when I got a good look at the face. Oh, no!!! It couldn't be....

I shot up, alarmed. I'd never had a dream like that!!!!!!!!! Was that a dream? It felt so real...

"Kagome? Are you okay?" I looked down at Shippo, who was blinking at me with sleep in his eyes. I felt a stab of guilt when I realized I must've woken him up.

"I'm fine, Shippo. I was just going to get some water. Go back to sleep okay?"

"Kay," Shippo said, too tired to argue. He fell back into the sleeping bag and his breathing evened out almost instantly.

It was late. REALLY late. Sango was fast asleep against a nearby tree, Kirara curled up in her lap. Miroku next to her, his 'cursed hand' resting against her rear. Even Inuyasha was sleeping peacefully, save the occasional twich of his puppy ears.

Careful not to disturb the sleeping kit, I stood up and started walking.

What the heck WAS that?! It wasn't a dream, not that I was fully consious I knew that much It was more like... a memory. But I don't even remember doing that in the first place!!!!! Plus, most of my dreams fade when I wake up, so I can't remember them, but I could still remember everything about this one, every last detail. And that child, Kachi, I felt like I knew him, but at the same time, I didn't.

This was bizzare even for a time-traveling miko school girl hunting down a homicidal hanyou.

I sighed, and decided to try and examine the dream a little more. First off, I knew it took place in the Sengoku Jidai, or at least a time period near it. The kimono and herb gathering was proof of that.

That field seemed vaguely familair, but I couldn't recall exactly where I'd seen it before... Probably somewhere in out travels, but everything considered, that only left out about half of Japan. I smiled wryly at that.

What really freaked me out though was the guy at the end of the dream. I felt like I'd met him somewhere before, too, and my horror and shock at seeing him dead and moving was overwhelming.

Sighing, I sat down at the edge of the lake, looking out towards the sparkling clear water.

Another thought came to me, one that I really didn't want to consider, but had to anyways, without a doubt.

That could have been Kikyou's memory resurfacing.

That thought made me panic a little. What if that was behind this? What if something was bringing Kikyou's dormaint memories to surface? What would happen to me? Would I myself become dormaint in my own body? Would Kikyou retake our soul? What in the world was going on?!?!

"You okay, wench?" Startled, I turned to find Inuyasha leaning against a tree. He was trying to look unconcerned, but I could see the protectiveness flashing in his amber eyes. I hesitated before smiling.

"I'm fine, Inuyasha. Just insomnia I guess," I didn't want to tell Inuyasha right now. I wanted to talk to Kaede first. Hopefully, she'd be able to tell me what was going on. At the very least, she could tell me if this truely was Kikyou's memory.

"Feh. InuYasha said, sitting down next to me, "What the hell's somnia?"

"... what?"

"You said you were in somnia. That a fancy word for meditation of somethin'?" I blinked before understanding hit me and I fought a giggle.

"No, InuYasha, not like that!!! In my time Insomnia is a word for when you can't sleep."

"Why don't they just say they can't sleep?"

"I don't know, I guess saying that you have insomnia sounds smarter."

"Feh,"

"Why are you up, Inuyasha? You were fast asleep when I left."

"Yeah, and I woke up to find you missing!!!!!!!" I caocked my head at his angry face.

"Don't tell me you were worried...

"N-no!!! Of course not!!!!"

"Well, then. You have no reason to sound so accusing." I know it's a little mean of me to act like this, but isn't it also mean of Inuyasha to leave me hanging, wondering if he loved me or Kikyou?

"...feh." I sighed.

"Come on, let's go back. I might as well start making some breakfast." Inuyasha's ears perked.

"Ramen?" I giggled at his puppy like eagerness.

"Yes, Ramen. I really don't see how you're not sick of the stuff," Inuyasha gave me a look like I'd just said Miroku was the love of my life.

"How the hell could you get sick of ramen?!?!?!?!" I sighed and shook my head.

"Sometimes I wonder about you, Inuyasha." I smiled as we silently walked back to our campsite, but one thought started bugging me. What if...

What if that dream really was Kikyou's domaint memory? How would Inuyasha react to something like that?