InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ On a Wing & a Prayer ❯ Stating the Obvious ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

On a Wing & a Prayer

Part II: Stating the Obvious

Gina hadn't really fallen asleep ever since she had laid back down. She had simply started into the dark for only gods know how long. She was mostly thinking of her family. Her mother, her baby brother Tenchi, and her future husband, Kurai. She was supposed to marry him in a month and a half. She could feel tears forming in her eyes. She had a great, privileged life as a princess. But now, she was in the custody of some demon lord, and she had no idea what her fate would be. Well, at least he has yet to try and kill me…

She slowly began to shut her eyes, the lethargy of boredom setting in, when she heard the large door crack open. She quickly sat up, wincing from her wounds. She looked about for a moment, not seeing anyone until she looked down. She saw a little girl, who was apparently human. "H-how are you feeling?" she asked meekly. Gina smiled weakly and sighed a little. The little girl gave her a big, lopsided grin, and after struggling, pulled herself up onto the bed.

"That makes Rin happy!" she cooed, talking about herself in the third person. Gina laughed a little. "You remind me of my younger brother," she said gently. Rin's smile grew. "Really? Rin does? She asked curiously. Gina smiled and nodded a bit. Could I really be in the same residence as that demon lord?

"Could you tell me," Gina started, "What the name of your master is?" Rin nodded. "Yeah. Sesshomaru-sama is very nice to Rin," she replied happily. Gina thought for a moment. Well, at least if he's kept her around, I should be safe for a bit. Gina sighed again, and then heard footsteps at the door. Gina looked up. It was Sesshomaru, the lord of the castle. "Well, I see you've awakened from your little nap," he said sarcastically, "And so, you should get going. You wouldn't want to dilly-dally in this forest after dark."

Gina scowled horribly at him. I should lynch you!!! But of course, she thought of how a proper princess should behave, especially before a lord, be he human or demon. "I do not think it would be wise for me to venture out with fresh injuries," she started, not daring to look into his amber eyes, "Especially in a predicament such as my own, being that I have no means of protection."

Weak human, he thought. She was holding her own, he'd give her that much. However, he still didn't want her around. Dead weight, he thought again. Although, it would be quite amusing to see how she would act around all the demons in his household. She seemed to be overly uncomfortable near himself and the servant that had taken care of her, and she had yet to see the tremendous amount of rabble that served him. Of course, they weren't the strongest of demons, but to any human they would at least be rattling.

Rin smiled and hopped off the bed. "Sesshomaru-sama, Gina-chan is very nice!" she proclaimed. Sesshomaur looked up at Gina. "So, that is your name," he said. Gina nodded a little. He nodded a little. "You look as though you are of a prominent clan, am I correct?" he asked. She nodded again. "Hai, I am Nobunaga Gina, princess of the Nobunaga clan," she replied. He turned and began to walk away. "Well, Nobunaga Gina, come morning, you must leave," he said coldly. Gina simply glared at him, just wanting to get up and punch him out.

But of course, this would definitely not be the princess-like thing to do. She looked up. He, too, was scowling fiercely at her. "And may I ask what you are staring at?" she asked, her voice like knives. He smirked a little. "Nothing," he started, "Simply the rebellious look on your face. I take it you don't like me much." Gina gaped a little. She was looking at him like he had fallen out of the sky. No, really, she thought cynically. But instead of saying something ignorant and rude, she smirked a little. She did owe him her life, so she could at least be polite.

"Hmm, let's just say that I'm not the fondest person of demons. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'd like to get a little bit of sleep before I have to go," she said icily. He simply stared down at her for a second, then turned, walking out of the room, simply saying, "Come, Rin."

The little girl, of course, smiled and happily obliged, skipping after him as he left the room. As he walked away, Gina saw bloodstains on his shirt. An unusual feeling of thankfulness flooded through her. She would bet that that was her blood. But it faded after a moment, and she laid back on the bed. I should have no trouble getting home, she thought. But then, her thoughts returned to the terrible demon that had attacked her. What if it comes after me again? She shivered at the thought.

Then she remembered that Sesshomaru had two blades at his hip, and he was able to thwart the beast in the first place…

She got up, walking over to the door and quickly opening it. She then saw Sesshomaru only a yard away, and called out to him. "Wait!"