InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ On a Wing & a Prayer ❯ Mysterious Powers ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

On a Wing & a Prayer

Part VII: Mysterious Powers

That demon! It's so huge! Will Sesshomaru be able to kill it? Gina looked around the tree again. There wasn't a bit of worry on Sesshomaru's face. "Okay, so I was wrong," she muttered silently, "He is heartless!" She hid behind the tree again, and then heard the sound of the demon screeching, and the splash of blood on the dirt.

She peeked out again. Sesshomaru had slashed off part of its arm, but it was simply too big. Gina shivered, gripping the tree's trunk. Please be okay, she prayed, I don't wanna be killed by a demon! She watched as the demon lowered its claws, slashing at Sesshomaru. Gina winced, then heard the sound of something smashing against the ground. When she opened her eyes, all she saw was dust and large rocks.

"Sesshomaru!" she called out. When she did this, the demon noticed her, and growled. Gina's eyes widened. Oh, great! she thought, Now I gonna be killed by this thing! The large demon lumbered towards her, its fangs dripping in a yellowish-green slobber. She shut her eyes, trying to drown out the sounds around her. But there was one she couldn't filter out: the squealing of the demon.

Once again, she opened her eyes, and saw the ferocious creature crying out in agonizing pain, a large slash across its chest. And then there was Sesshomaru, a gash on his shoulder, although it really didn't seem to bother him much. Gina sighed in relief, catching the demon lord's attention. "You can't do things like that, fool!" he yelled. She simply scowled. "I was worried about you! I thought you had been squished!" she yelled back.

Sesshomaru chuckled a bit. "Did you really think that a demon with power such as mine could be squished by such rabble?" he asked sarcastically. Without waiting for an answer, he turned back to the demon, smirking a bit. He chuckled slightly, gripping the Tokijin tightly. "And you my friend, you will know what it means to go though real pain soon enough!" With that, he leapt into the air, his sword raised to kill.

But the demon wasn't going to be defeated that easily. Armed with a need for vengeance, a type of evil smirk crossed its face, and it spat a small spray of the same disgusting slime that it had been slobbering earlier at Sesshomaru. Some of it struck the demon lord, and he hit the ground, missing the other demon with his sword terribly.

He couldn't see. Whatever it was had blinded him, and the portion that had gotten on his face stung like fire. And the noxious fumes were making it hard for him to breathe. He rubbed his eyes on his sleeve, but that didn't help. It simply made it worse. He sheathed his demon blade, coughed quite a bit, and rubbed his eyes again. "Dammit!" he cursed, coughing again. Sesshomaru looked up, and the demon raised its huge, clawed hand, slashing down at him.

In his present state, Sesshomaru was easily thrown back into a huge tree. He fell to the ground, and as far as Gina could tell, he was unconscious. Watching the demon, it seemed that it had lost interest in the both of them, and was simply basking in its apparent victory. Gina took a deep breath, and then ran out to her fallen protector.

When he reached him, she kneeled beside him, begging him to awaken, or give her some kind of sign that he was still alive. "Sesshomaru, please," she whispered gently, "Wake up!" She heard the demon turning toward them, and then looked up. It was preparing to do the exact same thing it had done to Sesshomaru. "Foolish…mortal," the demon chided weakly. She looked down at him, and there he was, giving her a half conscious scowl. "Shut up," she muttered, "Just shut up. If I'm gonna die here, I don't wanna be insulted beforehand."

The demon above them gave a sickening sort of laugh as Sesshomaru flinched in pain. He must really be hurt, Gina thought. The demon slashed its claws down at them, and as Gina winced in anticipation of her demise, something happened.

Pure black surrounded her to the point where she couldn't see a thing, and a great pain formed in her chest, almost as if her very soul was being dragged out of her body. Please, someone, anyone! HELP ME!!! But she hadn't said a word. Her throat was paralyzed. She tried to open her eyes, but she couldn't. What's happening to me?! As soon as she thought this, a swirling, glowing light appeared before her eyes, and it was telling her to reach out.

At first she believed that it was some sort of spell that the demon had cast on her. But something inside was telling her, forcing her reach out. And so, with no other choice, she did. Gina clasped her hands around something, like cold, icy steel. A staff…? What is this staff? She could feel herself being lifted off the ground. And as if she knew to do it herself, she slashed the staff in her hand across the air.

The first thing Gina heard was the sound of the demon's terrified cry, and then it faded. She took a few steps through the air, and as her feet touched the ground, her sight returned. The demon was gone, and sparkling ashes fell around her. And she wasn't even near Sesshomaru anymore. She looked back, and there he was, still lying unconscious on the ground.

She then looked down at her hands. They each had a large burn mark on them, in the shape of…a staff. She bit her lip. What in all the hells was that?