InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ On Rainy Days ❯ Chapter 1

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]


---> Tell me if I should continue or not~! (If I do then I need a beta and I would love someone who would love to be my beta!)



On rainy days:


Chapter One





She was aware of nothing as she stood silently in the pelting sheets of rain, the fact that she was getting drenched going completely unnoticed to her. She raised a cigarette to her lips, placing the unlit cancer stick between her teeth before letting her other hand come up--seemingly mechanically--to her lips, and lighting the fag. Everything around her went by in a blur as she just stood in the forming water, taking a drag from her freshly lit cigarette and enjoying the way the taste slid over her tongue and into her lungs before dispelling itself from her body, leaving a nicotine high buzzing through her unfeeling body.

It was days like these that got her thinking of her life, that got her greatly resenting her most aspects of it.

She was a normally very happy woman, preferring to be an optimist rather than a pessimist, but life could get to even the most optimistic of people. It was a day that she felt her very blood boiling at the thought of pointless nonsense, the build up of emotions kept so tightly unwrapped until they all came crumbling down from the strain of it all.

At that thought she took another, much harder, drag from her fag, relishing in the feeling of the toxic smoke invading her lungs.

She wasn't mad at anything in particular this day, just an accumulation of thoughts filtering through her mind.

Deciding that she was sick of getting wet she moved slowly underneath the shade provided by her patio. She sat slowly in one of the plastic lawn chairs, rolling her eyes with a small smirk on her face as she felt her pants quickly absorb the sitting water on the chair.

She loved days like these. It seemed as if it always brought down her false facade of happiness and let her true character out. She liked her ways though. She liked people to not worry, to not fret, to not be bothered from her petty problems, and preferred to listen to theirs. It was just her way.

A bang from inside her house brought her out of her musings and into the rain as a sound of shrill giggles and laughs made her wonder what they were getting into this time.

There house was never a quiet house, always filled with something rather than nothing.

As more laughs came from inside the small two bedroom home she decided that she was again ready to be sociable, besides they would probably be wondering when her cigarette break was up.

She flicked the butt of her fag into their small ash tray, listening to it sizzle as it went out in the standing water. She stood up slowly before making her way inside, pausing to look back at the cloudy sky, letting a warm smile come to her lips.

She just loved days like these.

It took away from all the bad memories, made her forget momentarily what he did to her, how he had consumed her entire being with love for him, and then ruthlessly took it away, leaving a gaping hole in her chest.

A hole that to this day continued to bleed, even on days like these. It was a hole that could never be filled, but regardless it was a hole that she replaced with a new being, one that brought pain sorrow and joy to her. It was a joyful pain that she couldn't live without and could live only for it.

"Kagome."

The calling of her name brought her out of her musing to see her brother staring intently at her, his brows furrowed in slight worry. Two small children dangled from his legs, smiling brightly at their Aunt.

Kagome smiled at the family, happy to see her nieces after so long. "I think that were going to head out today." Kagome told Sota, her voice light as she quickly re-sheltered the person she truly was.

"Are you sure you want to today? It's raining and its not safe to stay in the rain. Miaka and I don't mind if you stay another day, your family." Sota told his sister, not wanting her to drive in this type of weather. Kagome smiled at the concern her brother showed her, happy in the knowledge that someone did still care for her from her past. "Yeah I'm sure. Besides, tomorrows a school day, and we need to get home."

Sota still look uneasy, staring at his smiling sister and deciding to let her go. "If you insist." He said slowly, letting her know how unsure he was of the entire situation. Kagome continued to smile at her little brother. She walked past him and the girls and into the living room, watching the sleeping child on the couch, drool slipping out of his cracked lips.

Walking slowly up to him she placed her hand gently on his head, watching as he twitched before opening his eyes, smiling at the sight before him.

"Mama," he croaked, reaching his arms out to her. "You ready to go home little guy?" Kagome asked her son, stroking his tired back leisurely. She felt him nod and smiled to herself. Her son was the only one these days that could make her smile as easily as he used to. "We'll see Uncle Sota next weekend okay?" She told him, knowing that by now he knew the routine. Turning back to her brother she smiled, "We'll see you next weekend." Sota nodded and led Kagome out the door, telling her to be careful as he watched her pack Kuame into the car carefully strap him into his baby seat. Standing strait Kagome gave her brother a peck on the cheek, "Don't worry, we'll be careful." Kagome told Sota, waving to him in a farewell.

Climbing into the car she started the engine and backed out of the drive way. The rain beet harder against the roof of the car and Kagome listened to the sound in a daze.

It was days like these that freed her mind.

She didn't know when, and she didn't know why, but on days like these she was free.

Her heart sang.

Her musing was again cut short as she heard the sharp squealing of tires coming to a sudden stop. Looking around she saw an eighteen wheeler barreling toward her.

A terror unlike any other took a hold of her body, one that shook her to the very core.

There was no escape, no way to free them.

The sound of metal crunching against metal was the next thing registering before her vision dotted and one thought went through her head.

'My baby'


X-x-X-x