InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ On the Outside ❯ Memories ( Chapter 16 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Chapter 16 - Memories

*Box of Evil Spirits* Stella's Soundtrack Challenge

Kagome was sitting on her bed with a shoebox, slowly pulling out one item after another. Everything in the box held a memory of some point in her friendship with Sesshoumaru. There were movie stubs, dried flowers, and more. They were all little things, stuff someone else might have thrown away, but the miko had been unable to do so. She'd loved Sesshoumaru for so long that every little thing they shared was special, something she never wanted to forget.

Now, however, it was a box full of pain. She knew she was torturing herself, looking through the items one by one and reminiscing about the memory they represented. It hurt so much, knowing that throughout their entire friendship, he'd been hiding such darkness from her. She hadn't even known he had a half-brother before Inuyasha transferred to their school and now she understood why. He hadn't mentioned the hanyou because he wished the boy didn't exist.

*At the End of the Road * Stella's Soundtrack Challenge

Kagome came across the most recent item, a movie they had gone to the weekend before her whole world fell apart. It was a horror flick. Scary movies terrified her, but she loved the rush of adrenaline she got while watching them. Whenever they went to one, Sesshoumaru would hold her hand, ready to calm her when she jumped. He didn't mind if she squeezed his hand with all her strength when she was frightened. She would hide her face in his shoulder sometimes, when things got too gory, subtly breathing in the scent of his hair. He smelled so strong, so masculine and powerful. Just the scent of him made her feel safe so she could continue to watch the film.

The tears she thought she'd successfully stifled came back full force when Kagome came to a realization. There would be no more items to add to the box. There would be no more matinees, no more trips to the ice cream parlor or the amusement park. There would be nothing between them ever again, all because he hated hanyou, especially one in particular.

*The Dark Side of the Moon * Stella's Soundtrack Challenge

She remembered his words, his declaration of love, and she wished she could believe him. She ached to feel his arms around her, to make everything all right again. She'd always wondered what it would be like to be kissed by him, so much so that it happened regularly in her dreams, but no more. She couldn't be his exception to the rule. If he couldn't accept all human/demon relationships, but wanted to be in one with her, then he was a hypocrite. To fix this, he would have to change everything about him and she didn't want him to do that. She loved everything about him, everything except that one dark spot on his soul that she could not overlook.

Even if he did everything he said he would, even if he risked his reputation to be kind and brotherly to Inuyasha, she didn't think she could trust it. He would only be doing it for her, for appearances sake, in an effort to get on her good side. It wouldn't be genuine and that was what she needed, a genuine change, for him to realize that he was wrong to treat his brother like garbage, to physically, verbally, and emotionally torment him. She needed him to regret it, to try to make up for it, and it would have to be a lasting change. That, she was certain, would never happen.

*The Witching Hour* Stella's Soundtrack Challenge

He might try in the beginning, but if he didn't get what he wanted right away, he would slip into his old behaviors. He wouldn't give up his friends and his reputation for a maybe. If she didn't go rushing into his arms within a week or two, he would deem it not worth his trouble and go right back to being the jerk she'd discovered he was.

Kagome glanced at the clock, surprised to see that it was already midnight. She'd been staring at the items in her memory box for hours and she had school in the morning. With a sigh, the miko carefully tucked each item back into place and slid the box under her bed. Without bothering changing into her pajamas, she rolled onto her side, curled into a ball, and tried to quiet her mind so she could sleep.