InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ On The Sea ❯ The Storm ( Chapter 5 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Lightning flashed in the darkened sky as thunder boomed and crackled in the heavens above. Rain came down heavily, drenching the already wet sailors who were working out in the storm. Waves threw the Sea Maiden back and forth, rocking the ship as if it were a fly to be swatted. Kagome pulled on the lifeline around her waist to make sure it was fully secure before climbing up the rigging of the main mast.

"Can you see anything boy?" Captain Sesshoumaru called out to her, his long silver hair was plastered to his forehead and his clothes clung to him like a second skin.

Kagome peered out into the dark depths of the sea, it was almost impossible to make out anything at this time of night, but it was even harder with the rain pouring down over head, blurring her eyes. Then there it was, a dark shape in the darkness.

"'AYE CAPN' LAND OFF THE STARBORD SIDE." Kagome shouted back.

The land in the distance worried her. Long since she had been a child tales about an uncharted island lingered around her home. It was said that whoever set foot on this island was robbed of their identity and was never heard of again.

"Pirates," Kagome questioned to herself as her body was thrusted forward.

Her body was flung hard against the side of the small basket that held her high above the deck below her. With her heart in her throat she frantically looked to see what had caused such a shock wave.

"Oh shit," Kagome swore as she saw a huge rock come hurtling past the side of the boat.

"CAPN' WERE TAKING ON WATER DOWN BELOW," Shouted Shippo as he emerged from the ships interior.

"SET THE SAILS INTO THE WIND...SET OUR COURSE TO THE ISLAND OR ELSE OUR NEW HOME WILL BE AT THE BOTTOM OF DAVY JONSES LOCKER," Captain Sesshoumaru shouted, "BOY GET YOUR USELESS HIDE DOWN HERE."

Kagome sighed outwards. 'Im in for it,' she thought to herself as she carefully lifted a leg out of the basket.

~~~~~~~ "Kage, how did this happen," Captian Sesshoumaru began, "I put you up there to make sure this didn't happen."

"Aye capn' but..." Kagome started.

Miroku and Shippo stopped what they were doing to listen in.

"STOP! Do not interrupt me. As I was saying, with what that rock has done to the hull of my ship we might not even be lucky enough to get to the island without sinking first," Captain Sesshoumaru lectured, "Now what was so important that you could not wait till I was done talking to tell me."

"It was just that the rain...it got in my eyes," Kagome said a little ashamed to be lying to the captain.

Captain Sesshoumaru looked down on her with unblinking eyes.

"Next time do not let this happen. You need to learn how to be more of a man. Every life on board depends on how well everyman does his job, "Captain Sesshoumaru said as he walked away.

Kagome stared at her soaked feet. The rain had stopped but the winds still howled and the waves still tossed them like a toy between two small children.

"It's a lot harder than it looks," Kagome said quietly to herself as Captain Sesshoumaru's words about her being a man echoed through her head.

"Don't let this put you down," Miroku said as he placed a strong hand on her shoulder, "everything he says is for the best...its the only way we grow."

~~~~~~~ Kagome stepped lightly onto the soft sand of the beach. Even though she wore high boots the sand still found its way in. Shivering slightly from the wet of her clothes she looked out into the dark forest. Kagome could just hear the sounds of exotic birds over the sound of the wailing ocean.

A strong breeze brush by Kagome and the rest of the crew making the leaves on the trees twist in all directions, Giving the forest he distinct impression that it was alive. Cries of animals extended over the sound of the ocean giving the island an eerie aura.

"This place is cursed," Kagome heard Miroku whispered to Shippo from behind

her.

"Miroku you think everything is cursed," Whispered Shippo.

Kagome had to hold back a laugh, it was true that Miroku thought that everything was cursed though he rarely said anything.

"MEN SPREAD OUT I WANT THIS WHOLE AREA COVERED," Captain Sesshoumaru said over the crash of the waves, "AND MAKE YOURSELVES AT HOME IT LOOKS LIKE WE'RE STUCK HERE FOR A WHILE."

~~~~~~~There was now a fire and food from the ship that was now cooking slowly. Kagome, Miroku, and Shippo were gathered at the edge of the forest with the rest of the men that weren't scouting the island. Kagome felt as though the men were all starring at her, like they knew that it was all her fault that they were stuck there.

Kagome looked up at Captain Sesshoumaru. She knew that he could feel her starring at him but he still wouldn't return her gaze. 'I guess he's still mad at me,' Kagome thought to herself her shoulders slumping a bit.

"CAP'N! CAPTAIN SESSHOUMARU!" Screamed a bloody man as he ran up to the captain.

Sesshoumaru rushed over to catch the man as he fell.

"What is it," Captain Sesshoumaru asked as he turned the man over.

There was now an audience around Captain Sesshoumaru and the bloody man.

"Am...bush...men...killed...pi...rates," the man got out as his last breath escaped his body and lay dead in captain Sesshoumaru's arms.

Kagome looked worriedly at the Captain. There was no sign of fear on his face but his eyes betrayed him. Kagome's eyes darted away from the captain to the forest. What was once full of bird cries and night bugs was now silent.

Then all at once men poured from the cover of the trees. With their swords bared they formed a tight circle around Kagome and the other men. Kagome could feel the tension build between the two parties. Slowly after the last of the men had come out of the forest a man with long black hair tied in a high ponytail who was accompanied by a whole crew of pirates.

The man wore a dirty brown shirt that was cut at the shoulders showing off his muscles with baggie black pants that were cut at the bottom just above his ankles. None of the men around them wore any shoes. Slowly they walked towards Kagome and the crew. The man with the long black hair spoke first.

"Who is the captain here," he said gruffly.

"We have no captain," Shippo said gallantly.

"You surely must. You useless clots couldn't have driven such a ship on your own," he said as he raised a hand to the ship that was run aground in the shallow cove.

"I am the Captain here," Captain Sesshoumaru said stepping forward.

"How do we know...." the man started who was interrupted abruptly by a strong young voice.

"Trust that he is the captain," the voice said again as a man walked into the light.

Kagome gasped as she looked at the man. He wore striking red clothes and even underneath them she could tell that he was muscular. But the things that stuck out the most was that his hair, like Captain Sesshoumaru's was silver. His eyes were the same color, gold. The only differences were that of height and age that was clearly shown.

"Inuyasha, I should of known it was you," Captain Sesshoumaru said, "you always pick the rudest of company."

"Yes brother it is me and it is true they are a bit rude," Inuyasha said with a smile on his face and a sadistic gleam in his golden eyes.

'BROTHER...DID HE JUST SAY BROTHER,' Kagome thought to herself.

"It's ok men, stand down," Inuyasha said with a wave of his hand.

"Inuyasha, was it you how killed one of my men," Captain Sesshoumaru said.

"Me? No that was Kouga...he likes blood to much," Inuyasha said waving towards the man with the high ponytail.

"And what about my other men," Captain Sesshoumaru asked.

"Oh them...I shouldn't expect to see them anytime soon," Inuyasha said with a hearty laugh.

"Corrin," Kagome gasped as she remembered something from before.

It was just after Captain Sesshoumaru had given the orders to search the island. Corrin had been one of the volunteers to go scout. Kagome could remember his face. It shown with happiness and mischievousness as he thought about scouting an uninhabited island. She could still remember the last words he had said to her. 'See you later Kage...I'll tell you guys what I see when I get back.'

"YOU MONSTER," Kagome screamed as she leapt into the air at Inuyasha with tears in her eyes.

Out of now where Kagome felt a firm hand catch the back of her neck before she hit her target. As if she had never leapt at all, Kagome was back on the ground. Looking up she saw that its Captain Sesshoumaru who had caught her.

"What is this," Inuyasha said walking up to Sesshoumaru and Kagome.

"This is Kage, my cabin boy apparently he doesn't like you," Captain Sesshoumaru said easily as Kagome glared at Inuyasha with hate filled eyes.

"Well let it be known that the feelings are returned," Inuyasha said, "Men take our prisoners to the north beach."

The men pushed past Kagome and Captain Sesshoumaru. Still they stood where they were. Kagome looked up into Captain Sesshoumaru's face.

"Why didn't you let me..." Kagome started.

"I know you are hurting inside from the loss of your friend," Sesshoumaru said as he turned and started to walk slowly with a hand on Kagome's back, "I didn't let you do it because you were in rage. There was also the fact that we were outnumbered ten to one and that he would have easily of killed you if I hadn't caught you."

Kagome watched her feet sink in the sand with every step. She said not another word. Her heart hurt so much and she felt filled to the brim with anger and sorrow. They had killed Corrin. The Corrin who always made her laugh even when he didn't mean to. The Corrin who she would fight with. The Corrin who had taught her so many things now lay dead somewhere on this island.

"Kage I want you to promise," Captain Sesshoumaru said, "I myself do not care much for my brother and hate his actions and decisions. What I want you to promise is to never go after him like you did because I might not always be there to stop you."

"I'll try cap'n," Kagome muttered half heartedly.

"Good. Now go," Captain Sesshoumaru said.

~~~~~~~Kagome starred at the crimson sky and the fading stars. She knew, though everyone tried, no one was asleep. Like her they were scarred of having their throats slit while they slept. Inuyasha's crew circled them like hungry sharks, making the crew of the Sea Maiden nervous. Kagome listened quietly to the soothing waves. It was then that she heard them talking.

"I don't trust him," Inuyasha said.

"Whats not to trust...he is only a boy," Sesshoumaru said.

"True, but there is something about him. He is hiding something from you I can tell," inuyasha said as he and Sesshoumaru walked into the woods. Kagome's heart caught in her chest. Inuyasha could tell?

"Shit" she murmured.

Kagome sat up to see where they had gone. It was then that she saw someone run in after them, ducking under the bushes as though hunting. Kagome bit her lip and looked around, none of the pirates where around, there was no one to help out that pirate and Sesshoumaru. Getting up Kagome carefully pulled a knife from Shippo's pocket while he slept. Silently he crept towards the whole in the trees they had walked through. Quickly Kagome caught up with Captain Sesshoumaru and Inuyasha. The man she saw creeping in the bushes was no where in sight.

"Give the boy a chance, he's a hard worker," Sesshoumaru said.

"I will try," Inuyasha said as he pulled a knife from his pocket and through it into the bushes.

Kagome watched the knife fly into the woods. Slowly a bird fluttered to the ground .

"Ever since yesterday people have been trying to kill me," Inuyasha said.

"I wonder why," Sesshoumaru muttered sarcastically. Just then a man cloaked in the cover of darkness leapt at the two brothers.

"NOOOOOO," Kagome yelled as she ran leapt at a man running towards Inuyasha and Captain Sesshoumaru.

She tackled him from the side forcing him to the ground. The man raised his knife in defense of himself quickly Kagome plunged her knife into the man's chest, puncturing his lung. Slowly the knife fell from his grasp to the ground. Kagome looked in horror on the ground. There at her feet was a dead military officer. She had done it. The ultimate sin. Killing a military officer meant sudden death.

"I was wondering when that wing nut was going to croak," Inuyasha said as he kicked the body, "I guess you were right this boy is useful."

Kagome could feel her body shaking.

"What's wrong with him," Inuyasha asked nodding towards Kagome.

"I...I just killed a military officer," Kagome said as she fell to her knees, "The law says...the law says I must die."

Inuyasha gave a smirk this was the moment, the very opportunity he was waiting for.

"Well Sesshoumaru I do believe that the law also mentions that if the accused has a crew the crew is also punished with him," Inuyasha said gleefully.

"Make your point," Sesshoumaru growled.

"Meaning that now you and your whole crew are out laws," Inuyasha said, " So now I have in my very hands a fortune. I could turn you into the authorities and become a VERY rich pirate."

"There's one problem with that plan," Kagome said angrily "If you turn us in then you endanger yourself- they just may take you too!"

Inuyasha studied Kagome as if he had never seen her before.

"I don't think I like you much runt." Inuyasha growled as his hand went towards his blade.

Kagome stared blankly at him `Are all pirates idiots?' she thought.

"Go ahead and kill me, Its going to happen anyway." Kagome said bravely raising her chin up in the air and glaring at Inuyasha defiantly.

"Feh." Was all Inuyasha said in reply as his hand went down to rest by his side.

"So now all I have is a group of worthless prisoners." Inuyasha mumbled.

"And I cant just kill you and take your ship because one its broken and two I don't have enough sailors to man it." Inuyasha mumbled to himself.

Sesshoumaru rolled his eyes, something Kagome had never seen him do before.

"How about, brother dear, you just leave me and my crew alone and sail on your way back to wherever you came from." Sesshoumaru said lightly.

"Ah, that's where the problem lies brother. You see I can't sail a ship I don't have. My crew and I lost the Shikon in a battle and were washed ashore here. I lost half of m' crew but luckily I still have more men then you do." Inuyasha said with a smirk.

Sesshoumaru sighed and rubbed his temples.

"What is it that you want Inuyasha?" Sesshoumaru said in a monotone voice.

"I'm thinking about taking your ship and about half your crew and making them pirates, on account of how they are already outlaws."

Sesshoumaru looked up at Inuyasha and actually smiled. "You can try but at the most you will only get a few men who will take up that offer. You see my crew is faithful to me, something you will never know or have Inuyasha."

"Well I'm sure they can be persuaded." Inuyasha said as he fingered his knife.

"Come now Inuyasha, we both know that you won't threaten death upon my crew, and even if you do they are still likely to take death." Sesshoumaru stated.

"Is that so? How about you boy, would you join a pirate's crew or would you rather die-right here and now." Inuyasha said as he turned on Kagome.

Kagome's eyes widened a bit but she stood her ground.

"I'd rather die then become a part of your crew you pompous scum bag." Kagome growled.

"Kage." Sesshoumaru warned.

"No captain, he needs to know that none of the crew, will ever turn to the likes of him. We would all rather die first then serve a cold blooded murderer." Kagome said defiantly, waiting for the blow that would end her life.

Inuyasha sighed and sheathed his blade.

"Ok, here's the deal." Inuyasha stated. "I will take you and a handful of your crew , my choosing, and we will board your ship and sail it to the nearest port where I will drop you and your crew off. Safe as a babe in its cradle." Inuyasha said raking a hand through his hair.

"and what of my crew here on the island?" Sesshoumaru asked darkly.

"We will leave a couple of life boats and supplies for your precious crew." Inuyasha said with a sigh.

"It's a deal then, and I fully intend to come back for my men that get left behind Inuyasha so I better not find any dead." Sesshoumaru said icily.

"I won't kill `em you have my word." Inuyasha said with a smirk as he reached out his hand.

Sesshoumaru sighed and grasped his brother's hand and shook it.

"Welcome to the life of a pirate Sesshoumaru." Inuyasha said with a smirk.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~

Ok then, glad that's finished ^_^. So we met Inuyasha and Kouga and crew. . . how many of you hate me for killing of Corrin??? Lol. I'd like to thank my GOOD friend Lindsay who wrote almost the entire chapter. And I think she did a good job, don't you? ^_^ As I have told you before I have a baaaaaad case of writers block, and Lindsay was kool enough to write this chapter for me ^_^ her pen name is Rinzie and you should check out some of her work cuz it is awesome!! Any way please review its appreciated ^_~ O and by the way I thought I should let you guys know that my other penname has been temporarily ummm. . . disabled for a while so I wont be updating any of those fics. Which leaves me with a lot of time for the ones under this penname *beams happily* So I should be updating more often ^_^ THANKYOU EVERYONE WHO REVIEWED!!!