InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ On The Sea ❯ Kage is not a happy camper ( Chapter 6 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Chapter Six: Kage is not a happy camper ^_~

Kagome sank down into the soft warm sand. She let out a jaw cracking yawn as she stared out onto the ocean and watched the sun rise over the horizon, casting a beautiful array of colors on the ocean's vast blue depths.

Kagome sighed, she hadn't gotten much sleep at all last night. She was far too busy muddling over everything that had been happening recently and thinking about her future. Every thing that happened from here on out was her fault. Corrin's death was her fault; the ship being broken was her fault, the fate of the crew. . .

Kagome didn't want to even think about it. She felt an all consuming guilt rise up in her chest. Why did life always have to be so unfair? She had just killed a man with her own bare hands last night and inadvertently saved that scum bag Inuyasha's life.

"I'm such a moron." Kagome muttered as she stared at the sand beneath her feet. Maybe she wasn't cut out to be a sailor, she sure as hell wasn't cut out to be a man well not a good one anyway.

Kagome felt the sand shift to her right as someone set them self down beside her. Kagome didn't look up, she didn't really care.

`This is all my fault. . .'

"Kage" Miroku's deep soothing voice said calmly. Kagome looked up with a sigh at Miroku who sat next to her, his face was calmed as it gazed out at the depths of the ocean. His bangs flew into his eyes as a small breeze stirred rustling their clothes and gently blowing sand across the beach. His eyes were their usual solemn violet brown. Miroku had eyes that could look upon any situation and take it all in without complaint.

"I know you are hurting Kage." Miroku said softly, turning his intense gaze towards her. Kagome was caught in that intense gaze, and she felt as he was peering into her very soul.

"But its times like these, times when we want nothing more then to fall apart and crawl away, that we need to think calmly and rationally about the situation at hand. There are people depending on us Kage."

Kagome looked up sharply at Miroku.

"You think I don't know that!?" she snapped, causing a brief flicker of shock to cross Miroku's features. Kage was known for his stubborn pride yet caring behavior aboard the Sea Maiden. Not once had `he' ever raised his voice to anyone, especially not to his friends.

"There were a whole lot of people depending on me last night Miroku, and I let them down! I let Corrin die!" Kagome said hotly as unwanted tears trickled down her cheeks.

Kagome let out a frustrated growl and angrily wiped the tears off her face with the back of her hand. She wasn't supposed to cry. She wasn't supposed to show a weakness especially not in front of one of the guys. If she did it would make her even less of one of them . . . and it was hard enough as it was trying to be a guy when your really a girl. Kagome sighed.

A heavy hand was placed on her shoulder in a comforting gesture and Kagome looked up into the calm eyes of Miroku.

"Kage, don't blame yourself for Corrin's death, you didn't let him down. You have never let any of us down. Not many people could have seen that rock Kage, not on a night like last night." Miroku said calmly.

"But I should have! I should have!" Kagome yelled, shrugging away from Miroku's hand.

"And now because of me . . . because of me Corrin is dead." Kagome muttered.

"Get that fools idea out of your head Kage!!" Miroku said in a tone that bordered on angry.

Kagome's eyes snapped open as she turned to look at Miroku, never before had he ever raised his voice to her. She couldn't even remember a time that he raised his voice to anyone.

"Miroku I-

"Corrin's death was not your fault Kage. We would have stopped here to wait out the storm anyway. His death was inevitable."

Kagome looked away ashamed, she wanted to believe Miroku but she just couldn't.

"Dammit Kage! You're not the only one hurting you know! You think I don't care that I lost one of my best friends last night!"

Kagome stared at Miroku. `He's right I'm being selfish'

"I don't want to loose another one." Miroku said gently as he placed his hand on her shoulder again and gave it a re-assuring squeeze.

Kagome couldn't believe how incredibly selfish she had been, it was obvious that her friends were in pain, yet she could think only of herself.

"I'm sorry Miroku." Kage whispered.

"You won't loose me mate, not if I can help it."

Miroku's lips twitched upwards at that and he let his hand drop back down to his side.

"Glad to hear it Kage."

"Glad to hear it "

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~

"Come here you lot and join the rest o' your crew." A deep craggily voice barked from over their shoulders.

Miroku sighed and pushed himself to his feet.

"It looks like its time to go back eh Kage?" He said with that calm serine smile of his.

Kagome smirked slightly.

"Yea, I guess it is." She said as she got to her feet as well and walked over to the fat looking pirate whose hand was fisted around his curved blade.

"C'mon you two I aint got all day!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~

Miroku and Kagome walked back to the small make shift camp in companionable silence, the fat pirate trailing them the whole way. When they reached the camp everyone was on their feet standing in a line, their faces solemn and quiet.

"That's the last of `em Cap'n" The fat pirate said gruffly, giving Kagome a harsh push towards the line.

"Get in line ya scurvy rats." The pirate growled at Kagome and Miroku. Kagome and Miroku made their way to the end of the line with confused glances.

Inuyasha stood at the front of the line his hands clasped behind his back as he eyed the crew of the Sea Maiden. He began to stroll down the line of sailors looking at them all with mild distaste.

"Hmm not a tough looking crew are you. . ." Inuyasha sighed out loud. The Sea Maiden's crew bristled at this but said nothing as they stared straight ahead.

Inuyasha walked down the line, pausing every once in a while and staring at a crew member before continuing his way down the line. When he reached the end of the line his gaze fell upon Kagome herself.

Kagome met his intense gaze and gave him an insolent stare, as if she was daring him to say something. Inuyasha simply smirked and turned to Miroku.

"What's your name sailor?" he asked.

Miroku sighed and looked toward Sesshoumaru who was standing off to the side, watching the whole procession. He gave Miroku a small nod.

"My name is Miroku" he said with his usual calm grace.

"Keh, and what exactly do you do aboard the Sea Maiden Miroku?" Inuyasha said with a smirk.

Miroku nodded his head and said simply.

"I am the healer on the ship as well as the instructor to those who wish to learn. I am also a certified monk." Miroku said that last part softly.

"A MONK? Sesshoumaru you have a MONK on your ship!?" Inuyasha said howling with laughter.

Sesshoumaru gave Inuyasha a cold gaze, "I see no problem with that. Because of his religious background Miroku is one of the most dedicated and faithful sailors on board."

Inuyasha's laughter died down but he still had a grin on his face.

"I'll be taking you on the voyage then, ol' Scrawkin met the end of the blade in the last attack we had."

Miroku said nothing but continued to gaze silently at Inuyasha.

Inuyasha smirked and walked away back up the line, this time asking everyone who they were and what they did aboard the Sea Maiden. Everyone answered his questions but when he reached Shippo Inuyasha was in for a surprise.

"What's your name boy?" Inuyasha asked Shippo who glared up at him defiantly.

"I don't see how that's any of your business." Shippo said hotly.

Inuyasha's eyes widened and a scowl came to his face.

"I think it is my business runt, what the hell is your name!" Inuyasha growled.

Shippo refused to answer him and blatantly ignored him.

"Why you!" Inuyasha growled his hand going for his blade. And because Shippo was looking away he didn't catch the movement.

Kagome's eyes widened in fear for her friend and she chose this time to step out of line.

"Hey you jerk! Leave him alone! I won't let you kill another one of my friends!" Kagome yelled fiercely, catching Inuyasha's attention.

Shippo's eyes widened as he looked at Inuyasha.

"Kage get back in line." Miroku whispered urgently.

"No!" Kagome replied hotly glaring at Inuyasha.

"Kage- it's alright mate I-I'm fine!" Shippo said begging with his eyes for her to step back into line.

"Yeah, for now but you never know when he is going to strike down another defenseless man!"

Inuyasha's eyes seemed to glow red for a moment before he stomped over to Kagome.

Kagome didn't lose her ground, she stood straight and defiantly her eyes blazing with anger. How dare he threaten another one of her friends!

Inuyasha stepped so close to her that their bodies were almost touching, she could feel the heat radiating off of his body as he glared death down at her. His hand was curled around the hilt of his sword, his knuckles white with tension.

"You heard me." Kagome spat.

"Kage please" Shippo begged.

Kagome ignored her friend's pleas; she couldn't let this villain go unpunished, even if it resulted in her own death.

"Kage stand down." Sesshoumaru said coolly his intense gaze boring into her. Kagome opened her mouth to protest but instead let out a sigh. She was faithful to her Captain and obeyed all orders given to her . . . even if she didn't like them.

"Yes sir." She muttered and stepped away from Inuyasha, her eyes on the ground.

Inuyasha looked at Sesshoumaru then to Kagome in what appeared to be shock.

He narrowed his eyes at Kagome.

"That will be the last time you insult me boy, I have been far to lenient with you, next time you wont be so lucky." Inuyasha said lowly, so only she and Miroku could hear before he walked away.

Kagome said nothing but she continued to stare at the ground, her cheeks were red with anger. She couldn't wait till the pompous ass left the island. After the past few encounters with Inuyasha she was pretty sure she wasn't going to be going on this particular voyage.

"What's your name runt?"

"Shippo. . ."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~

Kagome lounged around comfortably in the sand. The island was beautiful albeit slightly small but it was big enough that she could get away from the others and find solace, as she was doing now.

Miroku was going on the Sea Maiden as well as a handful of the crew. Kagome would have to spend a good month or more on this island, trapped in a constant haze of guilt.

"Just peachy" Kagome mumbled as she rubbed her eyes tiredly.

The Captain had told her to stay away from Inuyasha, not to respond to his childish barbs. Kagome had to do as he said, and so she had walked a little distance away from the rest of the crew.

"It aint easy being me." Kagome sighed as she laid back on the sand, her arms tucked under her head as she stared at the beautiful blue sky above.

"It's about to get a lot harder boy." Inuyasha's voice cut in to her thoughts.

Like a spring Kagome jumped to her feet and turned so she was facing Inuyasha.

Kagome said nothing, she just stared at him warily, he had snuck up on her and she hadn't even noticed.

"What not smart alleck comment? I think that you are actually learning boy."

"Kage."

"What?"

"My name is Kage, not boy." Kagome growled softly.

Inuyasha smirked at her, that infuriating superior smirk. Oh what she would give to wipe that damn smirk of his stupid face!

"We will be leaving by sunset tomorrow." Inuyasha said, still smirking. Kagome's eyebrow began to twitch with the urge to wipe that damned smirk off his face.

"That's great, you guys have fun now!" Kagome ground out.

Inuyasha's smirk grew wider. "But Kage dear boy, you will be coming along with us as well." Inuyasha said now with a full out grin at her shocked expression.

"Like hell I will!" Kagome all but shouted. She couldn't imagine spending any more time with him and in an confined area too!!!

"I'm afraid you don't have a choice. You see my cabin boy was lost at sea. . .and Sesshoumaru ensures me that you are a fine cabin boy."

` Captain Sesshoumaru lied then. . . but why?' Kagome thought bluntly.

"There is one thing that you must learn about me Kage, I like to keep my friends close and my enemies. . .closer." Inuyasha stated as he turned on his heel and walked away.

"Pleasant dreams!" he called over his shoulder.

"Bastard." Kagome muttered as she sat back down in the sand, dreading the next day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~

Ok so I felt guilty that I didn't write the last chapter so I pounded out another one. . . yea guilt will do a lot of things to a person ^_~ So how was it? I hoped you guys liked it ^_^ And if you didn't then TELL ME! Ok thanks ^_~ Please review because this time I wont update till I get ten reviews. Conceited? Yes. Greedy? Yes. Do I care? No. ^_^ What can I say I am one spoiled writer. See you again at ten reviews ^_~ Oh and you all really should check out Rinzie's work especially the pg-13 Inuyasha one. . .Its really good ^_~

TTFN

~Sarah ^_~