InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Once Upon a Time ❯ Leaders of the Pack ( Chapter 8 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: They’re still not mine, but I’m putting them on my Christmas list for next year!

 

8. Leaders of the Pack  

Though none of them would have cared to admit it, the delay while Sesshoumaru’s companion was being treated had done them all good. Although the travel was not especially demanding, there was a certain amount of stress involved in the constant vigilance needed to both follow Naraku’s trail and also to be wary of any traps he may have left in his pursuers’ path. Besides, the travel would soon become more arduous as they reached the mountains to the north.

Still, the traveling conditions were exceptionally good. The late spring weather was mostly clear, with only occasional showers needed to supplement the earlier snow melt in the higher elevations. Though the nights were still cool, the afternoons were becoming warm enough to justify a brief halt during the warmest part of the day. The fact that this hillier area was full of streams, waterfalls, and pools made these pauses genuinely pleasant, especially for Shippou.

Even the most determined of Naraku’s hunters didn’t begrudge the time spent in these seemingly idle pursuits. They would all fight much better if they were thoroughly rested before the confrontation. Given the diverse nature of the group, this meant allowing plenty of time for the kind of recreation that each of them would find the most helpful.

Even Inuyasha, who was perhaps the most single-minded of all in his desire for Naraku’s destruction, made the effort to enjoy these short breaks in the search. That was how he came to be sitting on the grassy bank of a small, swift-flowing river. Although he couldn’t see either Sango or Miroku, it was nearly a certainty that they were somewhere together, carefully chaperoned by Kirara. Shippou was standing waist-deep in the river, catching fish. There was no need for him to wonder about where Kagome was--he could feel her presence just behind him to his left. Her approach was silent thanks to the thick turf. Still, that didn’t matter, as he could detect her scent, so much like Kikyou’s but also so very much her own, long before she actually sat down next to him. He could feel her watching him, and turned to see a measure of concern in her eyes. “What is it?”

“Do you mind? Stopping like this, I mean.” At his puzzled look, she went on, “I know you want to get to Naraku right away, so I thought you might object to all these afternoon breaks.”

“Are you kidding?” He gestured at the opposite bank, where Shippou was lining up his catch. “Fresh fish tonight.”

She shook her head, understanding that he also recognized the less tangible benefits of the rest stops but had absolutely no intention of discussing them. Instead, she lay back on the grass, looking up at the clouds overhead. “I really miss places like this when I go home.”

“Why?”

She closed her eyes against the brilliant sun. “I live in a city--there’s not much open area like this left where I live.”

He looked at her as though she was being intentionally thick. “That’s not what I mean--why do you go back there so much?”

Sensing that the matter had suddenly turned serious, she opened her eyes and sat up. “It’s my home. It’s where I come from--where my family is.”

His ears drooped slightly, and she wondered what she had said to cause such a reaction. “Does everybody in your world always stay at their original homes?”

She shook her head slowly. “No. Most people leave home to start their own families eventually, usually after they finish school and start their careers.”

He nodded slowly. “So the people who leave home are usually older?”

She nodded, then broke into giggles as Shippou lost his balance and sat down hard, disappearing beneath the surface of the water for a few seconds. Before he could surface on his own, the hanyou leaped into the water and hoisted him out by the tail. Once he was deposited on the bank, he gave himself a vigorous shake, spraying the others with water and leaving his hair and tail fur a mass of spikes pointing in every direction.

“Inuyasha! Why did you try to drown Shippou?”

Turning around, the hanyou saw that Miroku and Sango had returned with a scarf full of mushrooms and several bunches of herbs. Kagome managed to stop laughing long enough to explain what had happened. As she looked past the monk, Sango’s expression told her that the others had seen the whole thing.

Inuyasha, however, was growing more adept at reading the emotional states of his companions--the male ones, at least. Certain that Miroku was joking, he lay back on the grass with his arms behind his head. “Really funny, Miroku. You can use some of that cleverness when you’re cleaning all the fish.”

Kagome watched the interaction with interest. She found it hard to believe that this was the same person who had threatened to cut her to pieces with his own claws if she didn’t surrender the Shikon no Tama to him when she had first arrived in his world. He seemed to have mellowed, somehow, at least toward his companions.

Someday, she decided, she would have to talk to somebody who had known him back before he had been sealed. Besides, she thought, the softening she sometimes thought she saw in him might simply be nothing more than her own wishful thinking.

As usual, they continued on for a few hours after their afternoon rest, stopping only when the twilight made footing hazardous. Since they had been following a stream almost due north, there was no lack of water. In a gesture of good will, Miroku started to gut the fish, burying the remains so as not to attract scavengers to the campsite. In only a short time the fish, stuffed with herbs and mushrooms, were roasting around the edges of the fire.

There was little conversation. Long months of travel together combined with the almost continual life or death struggles had left them with little need for casual conversation. On many occasions, a companionable silence served them better than the endless chatter of casual acquaintances.

It was near full dark when Kirara leaped to her feet, her fur standing on end, growling and hissing at something the others could not see in the high grass to the north of the campsite. Only then did the others realize that Inuyasha had positioned himself on the northern edge of the firelight where he now waited, hand on his sword. Sango stroked her pet, trying to calm her. “What is it?”

Inuyasha shook his head. “I’m not sure. It smells like wolf scent, but it’s not behaving like an animal. It’s been moving straight at our fire for a while now. There’s something else,” he said, sniffing the air once again. “It smells funny--I think it’s sick or something. And,” he said, shaking his head, “There’s a strong scent of blood--youkai blood.”

With a warning to the others to remain alert, the hanyou sprinted to where the mysterious creature lay hidden in the grass. Kneeling in the grass, he easily lifted the limp form and started back to the others. As he drew nearer, they could identify the generally humanlike form.

As he carefully placed his burden down by the fire, Kagome recognized the silvery wolf hide clothing and rich red hair. “Ayamae!”

Inuyasha nodded. “I knew there was something familiar about her scent, but I couldn’t place it.” As her restless movements caused the fur cape she wore to drop to one side, exposing her right shoulder and upper back, he gestured at a dark red puncture wound between her shoulder and spine. Although the wound still oozed blood, there was no sign of the bubbles that would have indicated a punctured lung. “It’s bad,” he said, “But I don’t think it’s fatal.”

“We’re definitely getting closer to Naraku.” At the sound of Sango’s utterly flat, toneless voice the others all turned to face her. She continued, “I’ve seen that kind of wound before--I have a scar from one just like it.”

Kagome remembered seeing the scar at a hot spring they had visited some months earlier. “Do you really think that Kohaku could be involved in this?”

Sango nodded. “As long as he’s under Naraku’s control, he’s capable of anything.”

Kagome shook her head. “I don’t think Naraku’s control is as complete as he would like it to be--your brother fights it, at least part of the time. Remember? He didn’t kill me, even though he was ordered to. He didn’t kill that little girl Kagura took from Sesshoumaru either.” She was fishing through her medical supplies as she spoke. “It looks to me like Kohaku doesn’t want to hurt anybody. That’s why he keeps fighting Naraku. That’s probably why Ayamae is still alive.”

Sending the others to start heating water, Kagome and Sango assembled the supplies they would need--a soft cloth pad to place over the wound, an antiseptic/anesthetic solution to spray directly on the injury, cloths to clean the area, antibiotic cream to prevent infection, and long strips of fabric to hold the whole thing together.

Once the water was hot enough, the two women set about treating the injury. Using the warm water and some soft cloths, the women cleaned away the excess blood, careful not to dislodge any of the newly-formed scabs and cause renewed bleeding. At Kagome’s direction Sango sprayed the wound with the antiseptic solution while Kagome herself coated the cloth pad with the antibiotic cream. Between them they were able to secure the bandages in place even though they had to remove the wolf youkai’s red and black body armor to do so.

Although all of them were intensely curious, they would have to wait to have that curiosity satisfied, as the only witness to the events was unconscious. Through sheer curiosity, no one slept for any significant time that night.

Finally, hear daybreak, the wounded youkai stirred. Miroku, who was sitting nearby, noticed the slight motion and leaned closer. “Try not to move. You were badly hurt but you’re among friends now.”

Ayamae’s intense green eyes were a little unfocused. “What happened?”

Inuyasha moved to where she could see him easily without having to move around too much. “We hoped you could tell us. We found you just after dark with a big hole in your back.”

She closed her eyes briefly with a pained expression. “And my companions?”

He shook his head. “You were alone when I found you.”

Worn out by the questions, Ayamae slept. Though her people were tough, a wound like this would take some time to heal. Even so, it was only a few hours before Ayamae spoke once again. “No one saw any wolves?”

Sango, who sat nearby stroking her youkai pet, shook her head. “We didn’t see anything--it was too dark. Neither Inuyasha nor Shippou could smell them, though.” She released the firecat before continuing, “How do you feel?”

Ayamae shook her head. “I’ve been better, but I’ll survive.” She struggled to a sitting position. “I can’t stay here--if my escort was killed, then my message never got through.”

The hanyou, who had been sitting quietly off to one side, glanced their way. “What message is that?”

“There’s something wrong in my tribe’s lands. We don’t know exactly what’s causing it, but it almost feels like the air itself is becoming poisonous.” She lowered her eyes as though ashamed that she couldn’t personally correct the trouble. “I was on my way to find Kouga and ask if the remains of his tribe could join with us to regain control of our lands.”

At Ayamae’s description of the trouble in her tribe’s territory, Kagome exchanged a look with the hanyou--that “poisonous air” sounded very much like the barrier Naraku usually used to conceal his presence. At Inuyasha’s almost imperceptible nod, she shook her head. “Your message doesn’t matter any more. We think that we know what’s causing the trouble--a very strong hanyou called Naraku. We’ve been hunting him for months. So,” she said with a sympathetic smile, “Has Kouga. If he’s not in the area right now, he will be soon.” Kagome picked up the crushed ayamae blossom that had fallen from the youkai’s hair. “It looks like you’ll need a new flower. I think I saw some growing over by the water. Besides,” she added, “You’ll want to look your best when Kouga shows up.”

Sango and Kagome changed Ayamae’s bandages, noting that the wound seemed both smaller in diameter and shallower than it had been only a few hours earlier. With a little help from the personal items in Kagome’s bag, they untangled Ayamae’s long red hair, tying it up into the two long tails that she preferred. As a finishing touch, Kagome supplied a fresh ayamae bloom in a striking, vivid blue for her hair.

Although it was normally Inuyasha’s hanyou senses of hearing and smell that alerted the travelers to approaching strangers, Kagome’s ability to sense the presence of pieces of the Shikon no Tama suddenly told her that a couple of them were moving very quickly in their direction from the southwest. Squinting through the midafternoon haze, she could just barely distinguish a faint dusty whirlwind in the distance. “Heads up,” she warned. “Company’s coming.”

As she had half expected, the whirlwind blew right past the campsite before stopping in its tracks. As the travelers watched, the winds dissipated to reveal a singularly odd figure: somewhat above average height, the stranger was dressed in a combination of thick brown fur and armor. His hair was long and black and tied into a long tail at the back of his head. His icy blue-grey eyes narrowed and his bushy wolf’s tail twitched in irritation. “Kagome, are you sure you’re all right hanging out with this mutt?”

“Kouga?”

At the quiet question he suddenly noticed Ayamae, half-lying against Kirara, who was dozing near the fire. “Ayamae! What are you doing here with this fleabag?”

Before Inuyasha could open his mouth and make things worse, Kagome grabbed his arm and steered him to where a small waterfall dropped into a nearby hot spring. “Inuyasha, I have a favor to ask.” At his blank expression, she went on, “Could you keep watch for me? Sango is looking after Ayamae, and I could really use a quick bath--I’m absolutely grimy from traveling.”

The hanyou considered briefly before nodding. He knew better than to try talking her out of the bath--he had always been amazed by her love of water, often thinking that she was probably part water youkai. He certainly wasn’t going to let the girl out of the camp without an escort--not with evidence of Naraku in the area. Since Sango and Kirara were presently occupied with Ayamae, he had no choice but to agree to assume the role of guardian himself. Shippou, after all, was really too young to be able to stand against Naraku. Although Miroku was a more seasoned fighter, his lecherous tendencies rendered him unsuitable for this particular task.

Kagome, glad that she had managed to take the hanyou’s mind off the presence of Kouga, sighed as she slipped into the warm water. Although the brush growing around the pool was thick enough to be an effective screen against prying eyes, it was also low enough to allow for easy conversation. “You know, as much as I care about the others, it’s good to get away by ourselves for a while sometimes.”

Inuyasha glared back over his shoulder at the top of her head just barely visible above the twiggy brush. “It won’t be so good if Naraku shows up,” he snarled.

Even though she realized that he was deep in what she thought of as his “protector mode,” she went ahead and explained anyway. “Naraku’s not all that close--I’d be able to feel that huge piece of the Shikon he has from a long distance.”

“Baka! You can’t sense Shikon shards through a barrier!”

Something in his voice told her that this wasn’t just the usual kind of grumbling--he was genuinely worried about Naraku. Kagome shivered in spite of the hot water. “Just give me a minute--I’ll be right out.” As she emerged from the brush, she asked, “Do you really think he’s that close?”

He nodded, for once without a snide remark. “You heard Ayamae. Between her story, Sesshoumaru’s information, that damn wolf’s appearance, and what Sango said, I’d say it was a pretty safe bet.” He deliberately avoided any eye contact. “I don’t suppose I can talk you into leaving until this is all over.”

Kagome shook her head. “No. I want that bastard as much as you do: I can never forgive what he did to Miroku and Sango--and you.”

Although he desperately wanted to keep her away from the fighting, Inuyasha recognized her single-mindedness in this matter as very much his own. How could he, in all conscience, deny her the right to avenge the wrongs done to the people she cared about? Obviously, this was a fight he was going to lose, and at least a part of him was glad of it. Taking her by both shoulders, he looked straight at her. “You’re right. You have as much right to take him on as any of us. Just try to stay out of the worst of it--I don’t want….” His voice trailed off as he recognized the uncertainty of the future which made what he had been thinking entirely inappropriate.

Kagome stared at him, eyes wide. This was the most personal thing he had ever said to her, not counting those times when he had been injured or ill. She smiled to give herself time to think. “Actually,” she said, “I don’t have to get very close to use my bow.” She went over her supplies in her head. “I just wish I had a few more arrows.”

They were nearing the campsite when they came across Miroku and Sango gathering herbs in the underbrush. The hanyou glared at them. “What the hell are you two doing here?”

Sango showed him the herbs she had found. “Kagome-chan’s medical supplies aren’t going to last forever. With Naraku nearby we’ll need to supplement them with everything we can get.”

The monk nodded. “Kirara and Shippou are back at the campsite in case anything happens to Ayamae. It seemed a good idea to leave Kouga and Ayamae to themselves for a while.”

“For what?”

Kagome shook her head, wondering whether Inuyasha’s blind spot where personal relationships were concerned was an individual characteristic or just what some of her friends from school called a “guy thing.” She settled herself on a thick patch of moss and tried to explain. “There is some unfinished business between Kouga and Ayamae. We’re just giving them a little time to work things out.”

He suddenly remembered what he’d been told about the promise that pathetic wolf had made a number of years ago and subsequently forgotten. Although he didn’t know Ayamae well, he could imagine her reactions based on his knowledge of Kagome and Sango. Human women, he knew, took such matters very seriously, and the hanyou had no doubt that the wolf youkai would view the subject in much the same way.

Inuyasha almost felt sorry for Kouga, until it occurred to him that the wolf prince’s involvement with Ayamae wound certainly cut into the time he had available to bother Kagome. This, he decided, could be a good thing.

Ayamae noticed instantly that all of the humans had left the campsite. She looked up in surprise to see Kouga watching her closely. “I was hoping you’d come.”

He looked at her blankly. “Of course I’d come. I’ve been following Naraku’s trail all over the damn countryside--why would I stop just because he’s come in this direction?”

Ayamae’s eyes narrowed slightly. “You came here looking for Naraku?” Her voice had taken on a dangerous-sounding edge.

Kouga completely missed the storm signals. “Didn’t I just say that?”

Ayamae sat up as well as she could. “Kouga, you flaming idiot, what do you mean, you came here for Naraku?! Did you forget again?” With that, she dissolved into tears, half turning away from him to sob into Kirara’s thick coat.

Kouga suddenly noticed that her upper body was heavily bandaged. “What happened to you? Did that dogface do this?”

Ayamae looked at him with wide eyes, surprised at the anger in his voice. “It’s kind of a long story--are you sure you can spare the time?”

In spite of the chill in her voice, Kouga nodded. As much as he hated to admit it, he was impressed: most of the men he knew would have whined like infants if wounded as badly as the girl seemed to be. “Tell me.”

She settled herself back against Kirara, who was watching Kouga carefully after Ayamae’s outburst. “I was on my way to find you, actually. I’d only been traveling for a couple of days when Inuyasha and his friends found me--my escort was gone and I was wounded. They brought me here and have been taking care of me.”

Kouga was growing more and more impressed. “But why did you come down from the mountains to look for me?”

She smiled slowly, and Kouga felt a slight prickle of fear. “What would you say if I told you I could give you Naraku?”

Kouga’s eyes narrowed. “What do you want?”

Ayamae was growing tired but wasn’t about to drop the matter when she was so near to success. “You already know,” she said. “I want to combine out two tribes here in the mountains. Both of our tribes are now too small to hold our territories--together, we could hold one of them. We can leave your old territory to the fox youkai who were there before us. The new tribe would be ruled jointly by us.”

Suddenly, those terms didn’t seem at all objectionable. “Is there anything else?”

“No,” she said, trying to hide a sniffle. “I won’t try to force you to do something you don’t want to do.”

Kouga was experiencing something he had rarely felt before--shame. “But you knew a trip like this was dangerous. You’re the leader--why didn’t you send somebody else?”

“How could I?” she asked. “I am the leader: I can’t ask anybody else to do something I’m not willing to do myself. Besides,” she said, looking at him with shining eyes, “I wanted to see you again.”

For that, Kouga had no answer.