InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ One Last Try at Sanity ❯ If It Weren't for Moments Like This ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own InuYasha, Rumiko Takahashi does.
Thanks Fanfactor, I think I got all of my mistakes fixed
 
Sesshoumaru was on his cell phone by the time Sabrina woke up. It took her a while to realize where she was, and even longer to realize she wasn't dreaming. Slowly getting up off of the comfort of the mattress, she strolled over to the crib and watched her son, who lay still, sleeping silently, except for an occasional wheezy breath.
 
“The doctor will be here in an hour or two to make sure you both are fine.” Sesshoumaru closed his cell phone and began to make his bed.
 
“Shit, you look like you've been awake for hours.”
 
“Only three, besides, I have a lot of work to do.” Sabrina's eyes opened wide at the mention of the word work. “Relax, I called in and told them you wouldn't be able to make it in today.”
 
“You what? I need that money Sesshoumaru, I don't get paid for not working.”
 
“I had planned on taking you two shopping so next time everything will be ready and taken care of. Besides, I planned to see Rin today and I talked to her last night, she wants to see you.”
 
Sabrina began to slowly rub Kouga's back. “How is she?”
 
“She's doing better and will be out of the hospital today as long as nothing goes wrong.” Sesshoumaru smiled at Sabrina. “If you want, you can feel free to take a shower and get dressed. My brother dropped off some clothes for you and our son.” She nodded as Sesshoumaru handed her a stack of clothes.
 
Sesshoumaru waited until Sabrina had left the room before gently picking Kouga up and sitting on the bed. “Are you ready to see your sister? You haven't met her yet, but I think you two will get along just fine. You two don't have the same mothers… but you two are still siblings. You look like your mom you know… you're so tiny and fragile. Already six months old. You must think all of this is pretty intense huh? But don't worry, in time things will get easier.” Sesshoumaru smiled down at Kouga. The baby briefly opened his eyes before closing them and trying to get back to sleep.
 
The hospital room was bright and the curtains were drawn. A girl about eight was laying down on a neatly made bed. A nurse ushered Sesshoumaru and his family into the room and smiled as she tapped Rin's shoulder.
 
“Rin. They're here now.” The girl slid off of the bed and reached under the bed for her cane, a white cane with a red tip on the end. She slowly followed the nurse and stood in front of Sesshoumaru. He reached down and took one of her hands and placed it on his face. Her feathery touches ran across his face and she smiled.
 
“Her voice is recovering, she can speak a little bit though. She can tell the difference between a lit room and a dark room, but not much else.” Sesshoumaru nodded his head as he listened to the nurse. “Also, as you requested, we found a top of the line school for her. It's a thirty-minute drive away from here. Night Rose Academy. We enrolled her and she may start as soon as you'd like.”
 
“Rin.” She looked up at her dad. “Do you want to start school today or tomorrow?”
 
“T-to-today.” Sesshoumaru nodded his head and picked her up. They drove her over to school and told them anything the hospital left out before getting her situated and leaving.
 
Sabrina smiled at Sesshoumaru. She knew how much it meant to him to have his daughter back.
 
“Are you ready?” He suddenly asked. Sabrina looked confused, but slowly nodded her head.
 
They were shopping for three hours and bought anything and everything her and the baby might every need, along with some extra items for the bathroom and for Sabrina's home. Everything had been moving so fast that it passed like a blur and the only thing Sabrina could remember, was the reporter outside of the last store.
 
Sesshoumaru had someone pick up the items and drop them off at the house before getting into the limo with Kouga in his arms.
 
“So, what do you say?” Sesshoumaru asked her.
 
“What?” Sabrina snapped out of her daze, “I mean, could you repeat that?”
 
“I asked you if you would like to go on a date with me this weekend?” Sesshoumaru watched Sabrina get in and Kyle shut the door after her.
 
“Sure.”
 
“I'll pick you up.”
 
“That's not a good idea.”
 
“Fine, I will visit all day after Rin goes to her mother's house and then we shall walk to my work since it's closer, get a vehicle and go.”
 
“Sounds… complex, but doable. Where are we going?”
 
“Now, if I told you, it would ruin the element of surprise.”
 
“If you want, you could spend the night with me and Kouga.”
 
“I'd love that.” Sesshoumaru smiled at her as he made a list of everything he would have to do at work early in order for this date to work.
 
The limousine dropped Kouga and Sabrina off as close to her house as she would let them.
 
Sabrina mentally kicked herself. “I can't believe he still does that to me” she thought angrily, “I can't help but trust him. I'm back in a relationship with him and all I can think of is…” Kouga's wails broke her thoughts. Sabrina pulled a pacifier from her pocket and gave it to him.
 
Sabrina held Kouga close to her and smiled at him, “If it weren't for you,” she thought, “I might not have gotten back together with Sesshoumaru.”
 
She arrived at her apartment and slowly climbed the stairs to the apartment. The door was open, and that put Sabrina on edge. Slowly walking in the apartment, she saw the destruction, everything was torn up and broken, there was a huge bloodstain causing Sabrina's eyes to go wide.
 
Slowly walking into the living room with Kouga in her arms, Sabrina saw Kohaku. He was bloody and beaten. Bruises covered his body, as he lay strewn on the floor.
 
Running to the phone, Sabrina called 911, she knew that it was a suicide mission here, but she knew it was necessary. Once the ambulance was on it's way, Sabrina left the phone and bent down near Kohaku, she could tell he was barely breathing, but that at least meant that he was still breathing.
 
Sirens flooded the air as the ambulance arrived. Soon, two men stood in her living room moving Kohaku on a stretcher. Sabrina rode in with them, watching as everything happened.
 
As soon as they got to the hospital, Sabrina conned the receptionist to let her use the phone and call everyone. Even Sesshoumaru was on his way by the time Sabrina hung up the phone.
 
Kouga was fussy in her arms.