InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Only While Human ❯ Introduction ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha! I only own the story! But wouldn't it be good if I did own the show? Or the manga? Hmm… Anyway, I hope you enjoy! This kinda took me a long time to write. But besides my meaningless rambling, Inuyasha belongs to Rumiko Takahashi.

~~~~

Only While Human

Chapter One: Introduction

<*>*<*>*<*>*<*>*<*>*<*>

The new moon hovered in the sky as our favorite hanyou leaned against the wooden wall of a small hut that consisted of 2 rooms, looking around at his friends around him. They were ready to protect him at any moment if danger, such as a youkai, would attack. Everyone was aware that it was Inuyasha's night to turn human, the night he felt human emotions other than his hanyou ones. The night that his claws were gone and the Tetsaiga wouldn't evolve, leaving him liable to die. He once again looked around at his friends, tucking his black hair behind human ears. Around him, Sango was polishing her boomerang (Hiraikotsu) as Miroku was sitting nearby with his usual smirk, admiring the red handprint on the side of his face because of his lecherous ways. Shippo was coloring, and Kagome was sitting beside Inuyasha, almost in slumber.

"Inuyasha…" Kagome softly said, turning her head to stare up at the boy. "What's wrong? You have been acting different ever since we got here." she said, just able to get it all out before she let out a long and loud yawn, placing her bow and arrows on the wooden floor beside her. "What's on your mind?"

Inuyasha smiled down at the girl that sat beside him. He then shook his head, placing his hands behind his head as he looked up at the ceiling. "I'm fine, Kagome. Really. There isn't anything you should concentrate on besides the jewel right now. Sure, I might be human, but we still have to concentrate on getting all the pieces of the jewel! I have a weird feeling that maybe a lot of demons are going to try and take the shards from us tonight, some demons know my weak night."

Kagome nodded and looked down, reaching her hand up so she could hold her necklace in the palm of her hand. Her necklace was made up of the Shikon no Tama jewel shards that they had collected so far. Just only one small shard could turn the nicest thing into an object of evil and destruction-- horrible! She looked up at Inuyasha once more, finding that once again it looked like he was dazing off into space, which was nothing new on nights like this.

'Kagome, if only I could tell you the truth,' Inuyasha thought, still continuing to stare up at the ceiling, lost in thought. 'It's my human nights like these when I feel more attraction to you more than ever, I just don't have the courage to say it, but its like you already know. But… on the downside, it's also a reminder of my past, what I first intended the jewel's power to do. To make me a human permanently for the rest of my life, spending the remainder of those years with Kikyo. Kikyo-- The same woman who, because of Naraku, made it seem like we had betrayed one another. Kikyo-- The same woman who pinned me to the sacred tree a little over 50 years ago. Kikyo-- The same woman… That I loved.' He continued thinking, finding himself sighing as a flashback moment occurred. He could feel the warmth of Kikyo's embrace, the nice scent flowing off her body, in his mind hearing the soft whispers they used to tell one another. And the soft feeling of her lips against his, just as Kikyo had told him not to forget the feeling. But he hadn't have a clue why he still loved her, for she had said that right after she tried to drag him to hell with her. Right now, Inuyasha didn't know who to protect-- or whom to stay with. He loved Kikyo, but also had a growing urge for Kagome that seemed to grow stronger and stronger each day.

"What do you suppose Inuyasha could be thinking?" Miroku asked, now sitting beside Sango who was still both polishing her boomerang and keeping a good eye on the monk next to her, watching for any suspicious movements.

Sango looked up, lightly smiling as she saw Kirara mew and lay down in Miroku's lap. "I'm not sure," she answered truthfully, placing the cloth in her hand to the floor beside her, taking a break from her cleaning and waxing job. "From the inside his mind, he could be thinking of anything."

"Who knows what he is thinking in that dog-mind of his," Shippo perked up, coloring another picture of what he imagined to look like older. "He's probably thinking of that Kikyo person."

Kagome frowned, slowly nodding to herself at the fact that it was probably true. Although she wasn't entirely sure, tears threatened to fall as they burned the corners of her eyes, not noticing that Inuyasha had once again changed his gaze and had been looking down at her the whole time.

"Kagome, is something the matter?" Sango asked as she stood, walking over to her best friend, stopping as Kirara got up from Miroku and jumped into her arms.

"No, not at all!" Kagome said as she fought back the urge to either sob or sigh, forcing a smile across her face. "I'm fine! Really!" The words slipped out, but everyone could tell she was anything but fine. "Sango, could I speak to you? Outside?" she then stood and grabbed her large yellow backpack from the corner of the room as Sango nodded, pushing aside the draped woven curtain that hung down from a frame, (A/N: Equivalent to a door in their time? I don't know…) looking over at Miroku as Kirara jumped from her arms and out onto the grass.

"Go on," Miroku stated as he nodded his head towards Sango, folding his arms across his chest as he watched the girls leave and the curtain fall from behind them. "I need to have a conversation with Inuyasha myself," he said, which the girls' didn't hear for they were already outside.

"I guess I'm all alone now…" Shippo lightly said, cleaning up his crayons off the floor and walking into the other room, coming out a few minutes later holding a nightshirt. "Inuyasha, could you…" he started to say, only before Inuyasha grabbed the shirt. A couple seconds later, Inuyasha was sitting on his knees, motioning for Shippo to take off his shirt. Knowing these guys, it was probably going to be a long night…

~~~

Well, that's the end of chapter 1! I write this at school, then type it up at home so I kinda classify it as my homework ^.^'' I have some plans for this story, but so far I haven't thought up an ending yet. But, for those who think it (I know there has to be some people) is going to turn out Sango/Kagome, Miroku/Inuyasha you're wrong. Really I can classify this as my first Inuyasha fic with more than one chapter, so I'm not going to have any yaoi or yuri. Well, at least not in this fic… But there might be some hintage and cute moments. I already have a cute moment planned out whenever Sango is talking to Kagome… Please review and tell me what you think of it so far! SIDE NOTE: I called this chapter "Introduction" since I couldn't think of a title for it… Whoops.