InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Our Love Affair ❯ Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder ( Chapter 4 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Warning: This fic contains strong adult contents. It won't be as graphic as an NC-17, but there will be sex, so use good judgment.

Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha or any of its characters, Rumiko Takahashi does.

Our Love Affair

Chapter 4: Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder…

By Cataluna

It hurt.

Inuyasha drew in a shaky breath and pressed a hand tight against his heart. He would be lying if he said it didn't. The elevator door opened with a ping. He moved mechanically into the empty chamber, one foot following the other, and pressed the number to his floor. He rested his head back against the wall and stared at the mirrored ceiling. A tired young man stared down at him. The pain was infamous. Singers had sung sappy ballads about it. Poets and writers had devoted their lives to describing it.

He was living it.

The constricting feeling around his heart had come suddenly and without warning. He was trying to claim her lips. And she had forcefully mentioned his brother's name in return.

Thou shalt not commit adultery.

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife.

He was not an immoral person. It certainly wasn't in his nature to go around seducing or stealing another man's woman. His mind completely understood the dire consequences of his action. And a part of him was glad that Kagome wasn't the sort of girl who would give in so easily.

But the other part of him didn't give a fuck about the damage he could cause and the people he could hurt. He was the black sheep, not the saint. This didn't mean that he was doing this because of vengeance. He wasn't trying to get back at his brother for years of hell by stealing his fiancée. Future sister-in-law or not, he would have wanted her no matter what. Their complicating situation was simply a matter of circumstances. His brother just happened to have legitimate claim on her first.

As corny as this may sound, this had everything to do with the pull at his soul, a feeling that he had never experienced with anyone before. The fact that she had remained faithful and had resisted his pursue made her even more desirable in his eyes.

But first he needed time to think, to clear his head.

Perhaps his absence would clear hers.

<><><><><>

"You haven't touched your food."

Kagome jumped at the sound of his voice, smooth as silk and deep with authority. The silverwares rattled slightly against her gold-rimmed plate. She glanced at the food sitting in front of her. It had grown cold with negligent. "I guess I wasn't in the mood for salmon tonight," she replied.

Sesshoumaru nodded and lifted his hand. "I'll get someone to bring you the menu-"

She reached across the table and grabbed his hand. "Don't." The last thing she wanted was to waste any more food.

He looked at her in surprise. "Are you sure? You barely ate a thing." He squeezed her hand lightly. "Are you not well? You've been eating like a bird for the past few days."

"I'm just not very hungry."

Finding her answer perfectly acceptable, he nodded again and resumed his eating. She observed him briefly, the way he would cut up each piece of his steak with perfect precision, and how he always made certain that his lips were cleared of sauce, before letting her eyes drift to the center of the room. Couples, young and old, were swaying in the dim setting. Each had its own unique way of merging with the music. Some were livelier, swinging and twirling, legs lifting with each beat. While some were barely moving, choosing instead to let their eyes do the dancing for them.

A wistful sigh escaped her lips, causing the candle on the table to flicker softly. `I could only wish…' She refocused her attention to Sesshoumaru, who was watching her quite thoughtfully. He was done eating. His fork and knife were crossed on the plate, and his napkin was folded neatly to the side. She waited for him to look away, and began blushing when his gaze refused to waver. She was not used to having those amber eyes look at her so closely.

He was finally attempting to spend more time with her. And she was finally getting to know this stranger who would become her husband. They were dining and going out, doing exactly what engaged couples were supposed to do. `But…' She stared at her left hand and flexed her fingers. It had remained bare even now. For some reasons, she still couldn't force herself to put the heavy ring back on.

"Kagome?"

She lifted her head in question.

He stood up and stretched a hand out toward her. "Let's dance."

Her heart roused. She placed her hand in his larger one, giving him permission to lead her to the dance floor. People parted ways, and looked upon them as though they were royalties. He stopped at the center of the crowd, seemingly oblivious to the amount of attention they were getting, and his arms encircled her waist to hold her close. She pressed her cheek against his strong chest and let her eyes slid close. She was tall, but he was taller, well over six feet tall. Her head fit directly beneath his chin. Together, they moved slowly to the music while onlookers gazed upon them with admiration and envy.

Her face curled into a smile that had the capability of lighting an entire city. She wanted to laugh out of giddiness, but held it back with a sharp bite to the insides of her cheeks. This was their first dance together, and the first time he had embraced her this closely when they were out in public. He was a stoic man, weary of showing his emotions in front of other people. In another word, he was her complete opposite. Until now, she had never been one to keep her feelings in check. She laughed when she was happy and cried when she was sad.

Her smile faded with the end of the song.

`Can I live like this?' She peered at him from between her lashes. Even at a time like this, his eyes were open and alert, refusing to let himself be lost in the moment. `Live without emotions? Without passion?' She discreetly touched the bottom of her lips. He still hadn't kissed her or made her believe that she was desirable and attractive the way someone else had. `Is that… Is that the reason why I can't stop thinking about him, the last man to claim my lips?'

<><><><><>

Sesshoumaru ran his hands lightly up and down the narrowness of her back, always stopping before gazing the curve of her hips. He may not be a man in tune with another person's feelings, but even he could clearly sense that something was upsetting his bride-to-be. She was here with him physically but her mind had been wandering elsewhere. He carefully stroked the length of her hair as she continued to move with him.

He wanted to soothe her and bring that bright smile back on her face. A smile was rarely given without some ulterior motives, but hers was completely genuine. It warmed him, making him wants to smile back and hold her close in his arms. Still, he did not believe in public display of affection. That was for teenagers with no control over their hormones. Intimacy was meant to be shared in private, not on an open dance floor. Dancing and holding her like this was as affectionate as he would get.

He had and would never be a man comfortable with getting lost in the waves of passion. This did not mean that he was asexual or even gay, as many would like to believe. Giving into lust meant losing control of his body and eventually his mind. He would never allow for that to happen. Empires had fallen and men had crumpled all because of their love for the human flesh. His father had served as the perfect example for that.

To this day, even nearing deathbed, his father still had not been able to receive his forgiveness. Sesshoumaru had grown up idolizing this man and had been eager to follow in his footsteps. In turn, this godly man had ended up disappointing him like no one ever could, all because of a woman and a moment of weakness. The well-known affair had proved to the world that the great Fukumori lineage was not above sins. Every single one of them was susceptible to flaws. If Inuyasha's mother had been any less honorable, she could have used that vulnerability to destroy them.

He snorted to himself. He would never allow for any woman to have such power over him. While his brother was infamous for his womanizing way, he was known for his heart of ice. Dating was a rarity, for very few women had been able to meet his high expectations or capture his attention. Even more rare were women who could tolerate taking second place next to his work.

Who knew that the very thing, which had acted as a lock to his heart, could bring such a captivating woman to him? Intelligent and ambitious, she was his equal. The more time he spent with her, the more he learned to appreciate her qualities. `Perhaps…' A strange sensation crossed over him, he lifted her chin with his thumb and forefinger, and gently kissed her forehead. Her eyes rounded in surprise before softening with adoration.

`Perhaps I could allow myself to feel with her.'

<><><><><>

"I'm sorry but I won't be able to make it."

Inuyasha cursed loudly, ignoring the looks of shock from bystanders around him. "What do you mean that you can't make it? I've been sitting here for over an hour." He waved his hand for the bartender to refill his drink.

"I'm really sorry Mr. Fukumori," Myouga apologized again. "I can't do anything about the flight delay. We'll just have to meet as soon as I get here tomorrow."

"Okay. Fine. Tomorrow then," he agreed reluctantly before stuffing his cell phone back into the inside of his jacket. Myouga was his own personal lawyer and a loyal friend of his father. He was a wise man, a bit cowardly at times but had always come through for him in the end. Over the years, Myouga had been the one he went to for advise, and the one he would immediately call when he was in trouble. Though Inuyasha would sooner die before admitting it, he had grown to care for the old man as though he was his grandfather. Myouga had been there for him more than his father ever had.

Inuyasha stared at the drink in his hand. Tonight's meeting was one of utmost importance. Both his father and Myouga had wanted him to have complete understanding of how he would be affected by the merger. It was something he could do without, but wanted to get over with as soon as possible. His eagerness to meet had to do with an ulterior motive. He needed to know exactly the amount of control and power Sesshoumaru had over him. Now this would all have to wait until tomorrow.

He took a gulp of his drink and looked around, wondering what he could do to spend the rest of the night. A blonde was staring at him from a few seats away. She was beautiful, no doubts about it. Her body was hugged tight in a silver dress, leaving nothing to the imagination. Upon capturing his attention, she ran a hand through her golden curls and licked her blood-red lips. He stifled back a yawn and turned to face the dinning area. He wasn't interested in woman like her, though he had bedded countless of them. They were all the same to him, high-priced whores who only cared for his money.

His eyes scanned the dance floor, looking for no one in particular. He didn't know why he had agreed to meet at a place like this. This was where rich snobs like to gather and congratulate each other on their foolish accomplishments. Even with the seven-digit number in his bank account, he still felt uncomfortable around people like them. He loosened his collar and shifted in his seat. They had never been kind to him, only tolerating his presence because of his father.

A crowd was gathering around the dance floor. He watched with mild interest at what or who could be holding their attention so avidly, before letting his mind wander. For the hundredth time that night, he wondered where she was and what she was doing. He hoped that she wasn't stressing herself out at the office at this late of an hour. `Maybe I should go check up on her…' he thought, then quickly shook his head at the idea. `No.' He'd promised himself that he would stay away from her for the time being. He wanted her to miss him, to crave for him.

The crowd shifted slightly, giving him a look into the commotion. A couple was dancing at the very center; barely moving to the music that the string quartet was producing from the far side of the room. He clenched his teeth, bringing high tension to muscle lining his jaw.

`No!'

The hand around his drink tightened into a stranglehold. He wanted to throw it, and watch glass shatter upon impact. He didn't need to see her face. His eyes had memorized the smoothness of her back and the glossiness of her hair. And his heart… Seeing them together was even more painful than hearing his name slip past her lips. His brother's hands were on her, touching the silkiness of her skin, and pressing her close against his body.

He shouldn't have left her alone. It was a poor move. He hadn't counted on Sesshoumaru actually taking time off to be with her. Now his brother was getting to know this treasure, his treasure.

"Hey." The blonde in the silver stood in front of him, blocking him from his painful vision. She was obviously not one to be ignored. Her arms were folded tightly across her chest, accenting her breasts, and a scowl was painted on her flawless face.

He drowned the last of his drink and placed several bills on the counter. The strong liquor left a burning trail down his throat before settling in his stomach. He barely felt it. The urge to get away was beginning to overwhelm his senses. He needed a distraction. He studied the blonde standing guard before him, sweeping her form in one quick glance.

"Let's go."

<><><><><>

Another song was starting, bringing her momentarily back to the present. Her eyes fluttered open lazily to see that people were still watching them dance, though some had become restless and had resumed their previous activities. She absently traced at the buttons on Sesshoumaru's crisp, white shirt. She had been daydreaming again, reliving the memory of that night. Her lips pulsated with heat every time she thought about him.

`Where are you, Inuyasha? Are you still angry with me?' Inuyasha hadn't been showing up to work for the past week, choosing to fax and email her documents instead. She had hoped that the old "out of sight, out of mind" saying would work in her favor, but it only seemed worsen the twinge inside.

"Well well, what have we got here?" Sesshoumaru suddenly said dryly, stopping his movement.

She lifted her chin in annoyance and turned slightly, following his eyes to the bar. All she could see was silver.

"Looks like my brother has found another wench to warm his bed tonight."

A solitary tear fell down her face and more threatened to follow the first. Her questions had been answered; she had been a fool. She drew in a shaky breath and pressed a hand tight against her heart.

It hurt.

<><><><><>

A/N: Ok, I'm not making any promises but I'll really try to get another chapter out by the end of this month.