InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Resolved ❯ Final Battle ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 2 Final Battle
 
The group continued to wander while nothing was spoken between them. They walked until their bodies ached. The day had started to settle in for the night.
 
“We shall rest here for now,” Kikyo told them. They group sat down in a clearing in the woods.
 
Inuyasha wanted to talk to her but feared what Kagome would do. He just sat down cross-legged on a large rock. He held his sword in. He sighed while thinking. He closed his eyes. He wanted to inform Kikyo that he would protect her like he would Kagome. He wouldn't let Kikyo go through with her plan. He wouldn't let Kikyo die again.
 
Sango was busy spreading out a spread for their picnic. Kagome was helping her. They both glanced over at the half demon. He had never sighed before.
 
Kagome knew that Inuyasha wanted to speak to Kikyo but it hurt. It hurt a lot. She didn't hate Kikyo. The young girl sighed while thinking.
 
“Will we be resting here for the night Kikyo?” Miroku asked breaking into the silence. It was an unnatural state but with Kikyo in the group it was to be expected. He was taking food out from Kagome's pack.
 
Kikyo was quiet for a few minutes. She tended to stare off into the distance. It was as if she was watching the sun set. Everyone started watching her.
 
“Yes,” Kikyo finally said turning to them.
 
“Koga, the other two,” Miroku said referring to Koga's companions their names escaped him for now, “Shippo, and myself will go collect fire wood.”
 
“Collecting fire wood?” Koga spat out. “How boring is that?”
 
“It may be boring but it is needed to be done,” Miroku replied. “With the four of us working it should be done in a matter of minutes.” He stood up. He had stopped his task for now.
 
Koga grumbled. He looked at Inuyasha. “What will dog turd be doing?”
 
“Nothing like usual,” Shippo said.
 
“Keh,” Inuyasha said while giving him a dirty look.
 
“Then I won't do it either,” Koga said. He sat down on the ground cross-legged. “Go Ginta and Hakkaku collect the fire wood.”
 
“But Koga…” Ginta started but was cut off.
 
“But nothing,” Koga said.
 
“Koga, they wanted you to go also,” Hakkaku said.
 
“Heh,” Koga said. He closed his eyes and crossed his arms. He wasn't going to go.
 
Sango nudged Kagome. They had set the blanket on the ground. Sango had taken over Miroku's job of taking out what they needed. She wanted the younger girl to convince Koga to go to.
 
“Koga?” Kagome said in a sweet voice. She hated to do it but Sango and Miroku must have had a reason. She felt bad that she was doing it.
 
Koga immediately opened his eyes. He jumped up going over to Kagome. Inuyasha opened up his eyes looking at what was going on.
 
“Yes?” He asked her taking her hand.
 
“Could you please go help them?” She asked him.
 
Inuyasha had risen and walked over to the two. He hit Koga on the head making him drop Kagome's hand.
 
“What was that for dog turd?” Koga asked while rubbing his head.
 
“Hands off Kagome,” Inuyasha said. He held a fist in the air daring him to try again.
 
“You have a lot to talk about,” Koga stated.
 
“What?” Inuyasha barked.
 
“You only worry about Kagome when it is convenient for you.”
 
“What do you mean?”
 
“You have been watching the person who smells like death all night,” Koga said. He stood up facing Inuyasha.
 
“Inuyasha, Koga is right,” Shippo cried. Kagome averted her eyes.
 
“Her name is Kikyo,” Inuyasha said looking into the eyes of Koga. They glared at each other furiously.
 
“That isn't the point. Think how Kagome feels,” Koga said. He then turned to Kagome.
 
Inuyasha was left in a complex situation he didn't know what to say. He didn't know what to do.
 
“That is none of your business,” Inuyasha finally spat out.
 
“Kagome,” Koga said ignoring the half demon. “If you were my woman I would never treat you that way. You would come first.”
 
Kagome looked at Koga then at Inuyasha. She didn't know what to say. Her feelings for Koga could never be like they are for Inuyasha. They could never be so strong.
 
“Thanks Koga but…” She said.
 
“I know,” Koga replied. “But you should know how I feel.” He took her hands once more.
 
Inuyasha hit him on the head. “Leave her alone,” Inuyasha said.
 
Koga rubbed his head and growled.
 
“Leave me alone?” Kagome spat out. He had no right to talk when what he had been doing ever since Kikyo joined the group. He didn't own her. Koga was trying to make her feel better after he had made her feel worse.
 
“SIT,” Kagome screamed.
 
Inuyasha feel to the ground hard. He started to curse her.
 
“He so deserved that,” Shippo stated. Miroku and Sango nodded their agreement.
 
“What did you say?” Kagome asked begging for him to continue.
 
Inuyasha just grumbled. He didn't want to be “sit” again.
 
“Now Koga please go and collect fire wood,” Kagome said finally changing the subject. Koga nodded.
 
“Come on you lazy bums,” he told his companions. He speeds off using the Shikon no Tama for greater speed. He was a little mad about the whole situation.
 
“Wait Koga!” Ginta screamed chasing after him. He was followed closely by Hakkaku.
 
“Why do you always have to hurry?” Hakkaku called after.
 
“Why do you follow him?” Inuyasha grumbled under his breath. He had finally risen from the spell. He is very pissed off.
 
“So Inuyasha, you care for another?” Kikyo asks. She had watched the whole thing. She stood up afterwards.
 
Inuyasha looks down at his feet not sure of what to say.
 
Kagome watches those two. She gets angrier the more he won't say anything. She feels frustrated and hurt.
 
“Kikyo,” Kagome says.
 
“Yes?” Kikyo asks as she turns to the younger girl watching her.
 
“I want you to know that Inuyasha only cares for you and that I hate him,” Kagome says which is a lie. We all know how those two really feel.
 
Inuyasha's eyes darken. Kagome hates him? How could she not after the way he has been treating her? What if she falls for that nasty wolf breath? What will he do?
 
“Oh…” Kikyo says. A small smile is on her lips. She turns around. She starts to leave.
 
“Wait…” Sango says to Kikyo stopping her.
 
Kikyo stops. She turns to look at them.
 
“Yes?”
 
“Ah…” Sango says not sure of what to say. What can she ask? Will she really take out the shard of Shikon no Tama from Kohaku? Does Kohaku really have to die? Does he really have to suffer so much? No matter what her friends tell her part of her will always think of this.
 
“What is your plan for Naraku?” Miroku finally asks. He and Sango both believed that there was more to it then what she had told them.
 
“My plan is to allow Naraku to get the Shikon no Tama complete. After that I will cleanse him and the jewel. He will be destroyed. I then will take the jewel to hell with me,” Kikyo replies. She turns to Inuyasha but says nothing.
 
“Is that it?” Miroku asks.
 
“Perhaps,” Kikyo replies still watching Inuyasha. As if she wanted to take him to hell with her.
 
“It's because you did something isn't it?” Kagome states. The others turn to her. She had felt something strange for a while. She had felt as if another soul was with Kikyo. She finally remembered when she felt that soul. It was inside the cave near Sango's home village. The village was actually the home of the demon exterminator's clan. The soul Kagome finally recognized is Midoriko's soul. Midoriko and a powerful demon created the Shikon no Tama also known as the Jewel of the Four Souls.
 
Kikyo doesn't answer the girl. She just stares at her.
 
“What did Kikyo do?” Inuyasha asks.
 
“Her soul and Midoriko's soul will be the ones that purify the Shikon no Tama and Naraku that is her plan,” Kagome replies.
 
“Midoriko's soul?” Koga asks. He had returned with some wood. He had heard the rumor about the powerful Midoriko before. “You mean the miko (priestess) who was part of creating the Shikon no Tama?”
 
“Yes,” Kagome says.
 
“Hey Koga, what is going on?” Ginta asks. Him and Hakkaku had finally joined the others. They each carried a large stack of fire wood.
 
“Be quiet,” Koga says.
 
Everyone turns to Kikyo now. Kikyo says nothing. She turns around.
 
“So that is the reason why my shards are reacting?” He asks Kikyo.
 
“I think it is Midoriko's wish,” Kagome states. Everyone but Kikyo turns to Kagome.
 
Kikyo stops and turns around once more. She doesn't say anything to the younger girl. She doesn't deny it either. She just watches Kagome.
 
“What do you mean Midoriko's wish?” Inuyasha asks. “The ladies dead.”
 
“Her soul's wish then,” Kagome continues on. “She probably can't stand the fact of what Naraku has done to the Shikon no Tama.”
 
“So what is happening with the Shikon no Tama shards?” Sango asks.
 
“They are reacting to their master's wish,” Kagome says.
 
“Yeah they are,” Koga says. He lifts up each of his feet that contain the shards. “How do you know Kagome?”
 
“I don't know how I know this but I guess I can feel it.”
 
Sango has a strange feeling that Kohaku's shards were acting the same way. How would he react to it? Would his memory return?
 
Koga gives Kagome an eyebrow wondering exactly what she means by it. But he doesn't ask. It must be a miko thing.
 
“I also know that the shards in your legs, Koga, are being protected by something,” Kagome states.
 
Koga is shocked. He knows upon receiving the weapon Goraishi "Five Thunder Fingers" that it would protect him only one time from Midoriko's will over the Jewel shards. He hadn't known that Kagome would know this.
 
“Although it isn't that strong,” Kikyo states. She turns back around. “We will continue when the sun rises. I suggest you get enough sleep.” She leaves the group. Everyone watches her go with her shikigami in tow.
 
Koga didn't expect Kikyo would know about the protection either.
 
“What's going on Koga?” Inuyasha barks at the wolf demon.
 
“The weapon I received is called Goraishi,” Koga states. “It's a powerful weapon that attaches to one of my hands.”
 
“What do you mean?” Inuyasha asks. He looks over at Koga's hands. Nothing was there. “Nothing is there.”
 
“It is dormant beneath the flesh of my hand,” Koga replies.
 
“That is pretty gross,” Inuyasha states which the other's agree.
 
“That doesn't matter the power of the Goraishi,” Ginta states, “is as powerful as the Kaze no Kizu.”
 
“Really,” Inuyasha says. He wanted to give his sword, Tessaiga a new buff. All he had to do was wait for Koga to fight him.
 
“Don't even think about it, Inuyasha,” Kagome says reading her mind.
 
“Yeah, Inuyasha, Koga is our friend,” Shippo says. It appears the others also know him to well.
 
“Um, I think now is a good time to eat and then go to bed,” Miroku said. Night had almost fallen on them already.
 
“Tomorrow we will meet Naraku,” Sango states.
 
The group eats their meals in silence. Each of them pondering over the battle that awaits. After their meal they sit around the camp fire still thinking some more.
 
Inuyasha keeps on shifting. He wants to go talk to Kikyo about her plan. He wants to tell her that he will protect her at all costs. He wants to tell her that he will destroy Naraku so they don't have to go through her plan.
 
Kagome and the others can tell Inuyasha wants to do something. Only a few of them know what. Kagome sighs. It hurts a lot.
 
“Go,” Kagome finally said to Inuyasha while she watches the fire. She told him to go talk to Kikyo.
 
Inuyasha gets up and leaves. Koga growls as he watches him leave.
 
“Don't worry dog turd,” Koga calls after him. “I will protect her while you are gone.”
 
Kagome gives a half smile to Koga. She then barriers her head against her knees. Her chest aches.
 
****
 
Naraku could feel how close the shards were. He could also feel that Kikyo was near by. It appeared the miko had let her guard down. Maybe she had done it on purpose. They would be here in less then a day.
 
It was no matter for him. As long as his heart was separate from his body he would live. He had to take the other shard from Kohaku now.
 
“Kohaku,” Naraku said.
 
The boy appeared before him kneeling down. Kohaku had remembered everything. He stayed by Naraku's side until he could destroy his heart.
 
“Yes, Naraku,” Kohaku says.
 
“Come here and turn around,” Naraku says.
 
Kohaku stood up. He turned around. Fear appeared in his eyes. He couldn't die like this.
 
“Heh,” Kagura says. The brat was finally going to die although she would be losing a partner. She had also been finding Naraku's heart to destroy it. She wanted to be free.
 
Naraku reached out his hand and stopped it. A plan formulated in his mind. He would be using the boy one last time. It would be for the final show down of the ultimate destiny.
 
“They are coming here,” Naraku states. He leaves this room of the castle.
 
`They?' Kagura thinks. `Inuyasha and the others were coming here? Was Kikyo also? Sesshomaru too? Was Naraku going to let them?' She smiles to herself in the time Naraku is busy she will be able to search for his heart.
 
Kagura starts to leave the room of the castle.
 
“Where are you going?” Kohaku asks.
 
“It's none of your business,” Kagura states. She was going to find Naraku's heart at all costs. Kanna was the one who had it. She leaves the area flying away on her giant feather.
 
Kohaku watches her leave. His big sister was coming here. He didn't know what to think. He knew she probably hated him for what he did. He could never be forgiven. At least in the end he could give up himself to destroy Naraku. He hopes Kagura finds Naraku's heart. Part of him wonders if she could destroy it though.
 
***
 
Inuyasha followed Kikyo's scent. He followed it all the way to where Kikyo was resting in a tree. Her eyes were closed. Her ShinidamachÅ« “soul collectors” were all around her giving her souls. She was collecting the souls of the dead to sustain her life. Her shikigami were missing though.
 
“Inuyasha?” Kikyo states opening her eyes. “Why have you come?”
 
“I have come to tell you that I will defeat Naraku so that you don't have to,” he states.
 
“You can't destroy Naraku,” Kikyo informs him.
 
“Naraku heart is else where. If we destroy that then…”
 
“You can't. He can't be destroyed by a sword anymore,” Kikyo tells him.
 
“But his heart can. And I will,” Inuyasha informs her.
 
Kikyo sighs. “Do what you like but if you fail…”
 
“I will not fail,” Inuyasha says.
 
Kikyo's eyes darken. “Go back and rest.”
 
“Yes,” Inuyasha turns then decides not to just yet. He turns back to her. “Kikyo?”
 
“Yes?” She asks.
 
“I do care for you,” Inuyasha tells her looking at his feet. “I won't let you die again.”
 
“It's to late Inuyasha. I am no longer of this Earth,” she tells him and pauses. “I have a question to ask you.”
 
“What is it?” Inuyasha asks looking up at her.
 
“I will ask you later,” Kikyo tells him. “Go back to the others.”
 
Inuyasha is reluctant to go back. But he finally does. He arrives at the clearing. Everyone appears to be sleeping.
 
No one had fallen asleep. They all waited for Inuyasha to return. Inuyasha rests himself against the rock. He finally falls asleep like the others although their minds are all set on the battle to come.
 
The day breaks and everyone is awake. They eat breakfast and begin their journey again. No one talks this time. They all follow just Kikyo. They wonder what happened to her shikigami but no one asks her about this.
 
Finally Kikyo stops. She informs them to eat their last meal before the fight. Their fight would be happening shortly.
 
The group listens to Kikyo but they don't eat in silence this time. Too many things have been left unsaid.
 
“I won't allow you to take Kohaku's shard,” Sango tells Kikyo her eye brimming with tears. Miroku grabs a hold of Sango.
 
“You may not have a choice,” Kikyo replies.
 
“You can't do that to him,” Sango sobs. “It has been so unfair to him.”
 
“You tell me that you care for someone who kills comrades?” Kikyo asks.
 
“He was tricked by Naraku like you,” Kagome informs Kikyo.
 
“Then he will leave also,” Kikyo says.
 
“NOOOO!” Sango shrieks. She tries to go towards Kikyo but Miroku stops her.
 
“Sango?” Shippo murmurs about his friend. It is too painful for him. He can't stop her pain.
 
“If you want to come you better stop this foolishness,” Kikyo states.
 
Sango sobs again. She tries to stop. But her tears won't stop to fall.
 
“You promised,” Inuyasha says to Kikyo.
 
Everyone but Sango turns to him. Sango can't look up because she is still crying. She still listens though.
 
“What do you mean, Inuyasha?” Miroku asks.
 
“Kikyo promised that we can take out Naraku before she does. If we can kill Naraku, Kohaku can be saved,” Inuyasha informs them.
 
“Is that true?” Asks Miroku to Kikyo.
 
“Yes,” Kikyo says to him.
 
“See, Sango that is all we have to do,” Kagome tries to make the girl feel better. Sango has stopped crying. She has been silent for an extended period of time.
 
“Then that is what we will do,” Sango finally says. She raises her head.
 
“Are you all ready to go?” Kikyo asks.
 
“Yes,” the group says together.
 
They leave their area and follow behind Kikyo once more but with more spirit. Sango knows her friends won't allow Kohaku to die. Koga believes that he can protect the shards in his legs. Time passes by until finally they arrive at a castle.
 
“Is this castle Naraku's?” Inuyasha asks. He can't sense Naraku yet.
 
“Yes,” Kikyo states. Kikyo holds up a hand and breaks down the barrier.
 
Naraku's scent and evil fills the air. All around them it flows and they know it. They all walk pass the door on the gate.
 
“You have all finally come,” a voice from the head of the castle states. A young boy is by his side. A Shikon no Tama shard is in his back. It can be felt by the two miko's. They all know who that voice is. It is the voice of their enemy. It is the voice of Naraku.
 
“Naraku!!” Inuyasha yells. He grabs his sword. Tessaiga transforms to its true self.
 
Koga makes Goraishi appear. His buddies rally behind him.
 
Sango pulls off her cloths revealing her demon exterminators outfit. She holds up Hiraikotsu, the big bone boomerang. Kirara transforms. Sango jumps on her bank.
 
Miroku holds up his hand that holds the KazÄna, wind tunnel. SaimyÅshÅ, Naraku's insects, appear all around the castle. Miroku drops his hand. He pulls out talisman instead.
 
Kagome pulls out an arrow. She attaches it to her bow. She infuses her sacred powers to the arrow. Shippo jumps to her feet. He was resting on her shoulders this whole time.
 
“You have all come for the final battle,” Naraku states.