InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Till There Was You ❯ Chapter 6

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Six

*

The children's thrilled cries are filling the warm afternoon… while Kagome's apprehensive emotions were generating by the passing seconds. Kaya is standing at the base of the tree, preparing to assist Kagome with a helping hand. Kagome, regretfully, steps near Kaya, who threw her a self-assuring smile.

Just as Kagome is about to attempt her obstacle, Aiko rushes to her, tugging her down for the girl's reach.

"Mommy, a kiss for good luck!"

Kagome receives a reassuring peck on the cheek which did build her confidence… a tiny bit.

'Maybe… I can do this…' Kagome slowly looks up at the tree. 'Then again maybe not...' She gulps feeling herself tremble in dread.

With a heave from Kaya, Kagome obtains the ability to not lose her balance as she grasp the branch, and began to ascend. For a minute there she thought she would have fallen flat on her butt, especially with her favorite boots she has on, 'Why did I pick a crummy time to wear them?!'

Kagome tries to pull herself onto the branch. But she quickly realizes it was vain since the branch was too high for her reach. She settles on standing on the limb she is currently on, and reaching for the animal. She looks up, ready to accomplish her obstruction. A sigh of anxiety is exhaled from her as she glances up to at the kitten that's at the moment… meowing. Finally, she stretches her arm, reaching for the animal.

"Why did you have to hang out here?" Kagome mumbles irritably at the 'innocent' looking kitty.

Victoriously, Kagome grasps the small mammal in one hand. She looks down seeing Kaya, Aiko, and the rest of the kids watching. They cheerfully applaud when they witness her hold the kitten in her hand. Kagome beams in return, feeling like the heroine her daughter thought she was.

Unfortunately, she made the mistake of looking down because the result was she lost her footing on the tree. The crowd gasps in horror, watching what their heroine will do in her mishap.

Luck was on her side, she instantaneously grabbed the limb with her free arm before she would have fruitfully plunged in the earth with broken bones.

'Sweet Kami!That was close!' Kagome held herself as her heart pounded against her ribs.

The children cheer merrily while Kaya stretches to seize the kitten. With the mammal safe in Kaya's hands, Kagome scrambles down happy to meet the ground. She proceeds in sitting on the base of the tree. With a thudding heart, Kagome sighs heavily trying to calm down as she watches the children rejoice.

*

Fully conscious on a weekend, Aiko veers her parent's bedroom door.

"Good morning Mommy!" She runs to her parent's bed, "Mommy!" She bounces in the vicinity of the sleeping Kagome, trying to rouse her off bed. Kagome lying on her stomach is zonked out on the bed, diagonally. Aiko saunters over to her mom shaking her shoulders after watching the immovable Kagome, "Mommy, it's Sunday!"

Ultimately noticing an absent body, Aiko searches around for her father. She spots her dad stirring at the end of the bed… and lying on the floor? She crawls towards her father, and ensues to observe her father below from her position on the bed. "Daddy? You awake?"

She stares at her Daddy as he sits up mumbling a reply. Aiko, curious, questions her father, "Daddy, why are you there?" Aiko sits on her legs, abruptly frowning, "Are you and Mommy fighting?"

Vigilant, Inuyasha responses promptly, "No baby… As usual, we slept on the same bed. I woke up early and while I waited for your Mom to wake-up, I dozed off again." Inuyasha watches his daughter's face, fearing her reply. He wonders if his daughter would believe his bluff.

To his revelation, Aiko smiles looking relieved at his answer, "Ahh… Ok."

The young girl swerves to face her still dozing mother. "Mommy, wake up! Mommy, it's Sunday!" She whines shaking Kagome's shoulders with all the force she could muster.

Rousing, Kagome mumbles, "It's Sunday, I know… There isn't school today so go back to bed."

"No." Aiko crosses her arms stubbornly, "You said in your letter we should attend mass every Sunday!"

Noticing her mother nodding off, Aiko gives Kagome's shoulders a tremor, "Wake up!"

Eyes shut, Kagome grumbles, "Did I say that?"

"Wake up!"

Kagome unfastens her closed eyes. "I said that?"

Kagome pushes her arms against the bed, getting up tiredly. "Okay… Okay!" She halts the girl's annoying shaking.

Abruptly, Kagome returns on the bed falling. She shoves her head under the pillow.

Kagome screams through a muffled voice, "I really said that?!"

*

"Lord Jesus Christ, you said to your apostles…"

The community in church is completely standing, listening attentively to the priest… all with the exception of Kagome, who was sound asleep.

Inuyasha turns to see Kagome seated with her eyes shut. He extends his arm from behind Aiko to flick Kagome's ear… fiercely.

Kagome instantly awakens. She yelps holding her aching ear while she throws Inuyasha a heated glare. If looks could kill, Inuyasha would be a flat pancake specially squished by her. Kagome pictured herself laughing malevolently as she squishes the tiny Inuyasha. She chuckles, 'Now all I need is a shrinking machine.'

Ignoring the fiery glare, Inuyasha meaningfully motions his head indicating for her to stand up.

Getting the idea, Kagome hastily stands.

Inuyasha with arms crossed scrutinizes disappointedly and irritably.

"Where you live forever and ever… Amen."

The crowd responds, and Kagome, inaudibly, looks ahead… and her eyes gradually close up.

"Let us offer each other a sign of peace."

Following the instruction, Aiko turns to her father who bends down. She presents him with a peck on the cheek. Then, Aiko swivels to her closed-eye Mommy to provide the similar gesture. Next, Aiko saunters pass Kagome to give her Grandma a kiss. She strides returning to her place between her parents.

Aiko looks up at her father, curiously, "Daddy, did you kiss Mommy?"

Hearing his daughter's innocent question, he looks over to Kagome who is yawning and fanning herself… 'How attractive.' He adds with a smirk.

Hearing the silent question, Kagome returns in trying to take a nap. But Kagome's eyes widen in realization as she rethinks Aiko's question. Her face becomes crimson as she notices Inuyasha staring at her.

'Deciding on something?' Kagome stares, waiting to see what action Inuyasha would take.

All of a sudden Kagome freezes, motionless. She watches, nervously, as Inuyasha bends down towards her.

'Oh-' Kagome feels Inuyasha's lips press on hers, bestowing a quick chaste kiss. And with a blink of an eye, Inuyasha's lips left.

Aiko giggles content to see her parents this way.

Inuyasha looks ahead switching his attention to the priest.

Still frozen, Kagome gawks with blinking eyes. 'Why did he do that?!... and why on the… lips?!'

She was taken aback at why he would do such a gesture after showing in the last few days how infuriating she was. She lightly touches her lips, wondering if she just dreamed it. She was just half asleep a minute ago. She veers leisurely to the front… the same time as a light smile grew on her warm lips.

*

"Balance yourself… Go, Aiko, go!"

The young child attempts to maintain her balance on her bicycle. She hears her mom's shouts of encouragement from behind.

"Just look ahead. That's it!"

Following Kagome's instructions, Aiko concentrates. She peddles with her head looking straight ahead and down the house driveway. She looks down at her front wheel trying to grasp the fact she was really doing this.

Aiko turns the corner of the driveway. However, she encounters a familiar red car.

Fortunately, the car honks, spotting the little girl. The driver immediately hits the breaks. The tires scrape on the road trying to stop.

Startled, Aiko loses her balance on the bike. Her bike falls, but luckily Aiko catches herself before she could collide on the concrete with her bike.

Kagome watches with fretful eyes, "Aiko!" She was frightened to hear an automobile honk as Aiko drops from her bike. She hears the car quickly hitting the breaks as she ran to the fallen child.

The driver miraculously misses the fallen child by a few feet. He quickly unfastens his seatbelt, and hastily runs to his daughter, "Aiko!"

Kagome sees Inuyasha run out off his car. She reaches Aiko and bends down checking for injuries. She helps the girl get up to her feet.

Behind, Inuyasha comes questioning immediately, "Aiko, did are you hurt?"

Aiko, on her two legs, proudly exclaims, "No dad. I'm strong like Mommy!" She raises her arm showing her muscles to her father.

Kagome chuckles at the girl, "See-"

Inuyasha disrupts her comment, "Why did you…?!" Frustrated, he couldn't think of what to say. He calls out to the Nanny for her to come quickly.

Kagome rolls her eyes, "Come here, Aiko. Continue biking, let's go." She picks up the girl's bike.

The Nanny comes rushing outside at hearing Inuyasha's yells. He scolds at the nanny, "Aiko's outside, but you're inside the house!"

Kagome predicts Inuyasha would have a tantrum. She turns to Aiko leading her to the Nanny, "We'll bike later, ok?" She smiles. "Don't mind you Daddy." She watches as the Nanny takes Aiko and her bike back in the house. She turns to Inuyasha, but quickly regrets the decision when she sees his furious facade.

"That's why I won't let her play outside because of this possibility!" He points to down the road, "What if there's some crazy man driving recklessly?!"

He hotly rages aiming a finger at her. "If something would to happen to Aiko, I'll sue you foe manslaughter!" His voice steadily rose with each word.

"Why me?! You're the crazy man who almost bumped into her! Why won't you sue yourself?!" Kagome irritably points out.

"You're so irresponsible!"

"Inuyasha, I'm sorry but I don't have time for this domestic squabble. Can I just get the files?"

The couple turns, facing the woman who called out to stop the bickering pair. She came out of the car.

Kagome stares at the woman who looked just like… her. It felt like looking through a mirror, but seeing a more mature and sophisticated person.

"Wait, I'll get them." Inuyasha replies to the impatient lady. But before he went in the house, he threw Kagome a hot glare.

Kagome replies with a throw of her tongue, but she quickly threw it back in. She spots 'herself' walking towards her. She watches the replica carefully saunter like they were about to commence a duel.

The woman stops to inspect Kagome closely.

Kagome stares at how the lady gazes at her from top to bottom, like she was trying to see if she was good enough. 'For what?' Kagome thought.

"You must be Kagome." The lady offers Kagome a pale delicate-looking hand. Silently, Kagome shakes the woman's hand in return.

"I'm Kikyou… Inuyasha's associate." Kikyou said her words slowly in an arrogant manner. She gives Kagome a look-over. Kikyou then crosses her arms, watching Kagome closely.

"I'm Kagome… Aiko's Mommy." Kagome replies in the same manner Kikyou did. She crossed her arms imitating Kikyou.

"But not Inuyasha's wife." Kikyou responds smartly.

Kagome beams the fakest smile she could muster. She is about to reply when she hears Inuyasha come behind.

"Kikyou." Inuyasha hands a pile of papers to his associate.

"Thanks." Kikyou retorts. Kagome was almost frightened for Kikyou because it looked like her delicate hands couldn't hold onto the papers.

Kagome watches Kikyou lean over to give Inuyasha a kiss on the cheek… right in front of her!

'Ewww!'Kagome felt sick all the sudden.

Kikyou ambles back to the car as Inuyasha pursues.

But before leaving he yells out, "You're still irresponsible!"

Kagome, muttering furiously, looks on while Inuyasha drives away. She turns around and marches back to the house and to the front porch, grumbling the whole way.

"Just because you're a lawyer doesn't mean you know everything!"

Kagome sits on the front steps, "You're not above everyone else! Oi! God first before man-made laws!"

"Bastard." Kagome mumbles.

"Mommy?"

Kagome jumps at the sound of Aiko's voice.

'Did she hear me?' Kagome ponders, turning around warily to face Aiko.

"Yes, Aiko?"

Aiko seats herself next to Kagome, "Mommy, are you and dad fighting?"

"Ummm… sort of. It's because your dad's a jerk." She reassures the girl while she plays with Aiko's bangs.

"You won't leave again, would you?" Aiko is nearly in tears whilst she questions Kagome, "Mommy, please don't go!"

Aiko rushes to her Mommy's arms, "I love you very much!"

"No, Aiko. I'm not leaving. Who told you that?" Kagome whispers, misty eyed.

Kagome leaves the embrace and gazes at Aiko's eyes, "You know Aiko, its normal for couples to fight. Don't worry your dad and I will eventually make peace."

"Promise? You'll make peace with Daddy?"

"Promise." Kagome nods.

"I love you Mommy."

"I love you too, baby." Kagome responds in a soft voice.

*

I walk into the bathroom feeling a headache growing. It must have been from the long day I had. I never knew taking care of a seven year old and a husband would be so much hard work! Who knew?

I walk over to the mirror opening the cabinet hidden inside. I look for the Tylenol bottle in frustration. Who knew a guy would have many accessories in here? Grasping the bottle victoriously, I open it without a second thought. I take two pills out and place them in my mouth with a swallow subsequently. I return the bottle in the cabinet and shut it.

I seat myself on the toilet seat and slowly close my eyes. I sigh inwardly. How long could a stand this job? In the beginning, it was tolerable. But now, it's becoming chaotic. Should I quick? Of course if I do decide to, I'll have to think of a way to escape the contract. Darn! I close my eyes in pain. Can't this remedy work any faster?!

All of a sudden, I hear water pounding on the tiles. The shower! Hasty, I turn around looking through the clear glass walls of the shower. Someone is inside taking a shower. A man taking a shower!

"Aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh!"

*

I'm aliiiive! How's it going everybody? Well I finally posted the sixth chapter as you can see/read. Hope you enjoy! JA!

*