InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Unlikely Love ❯ Awkward Emotions ( Chapter 2 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Unlikely Love

Awkward Emotions

 

Her mind could've been off, thinking of how her grandfather couldn't be in such a state, but it was focused on the man before her. His white hair rolling down his back-in a masculine way-his golden eyes showing his concern and worry for her-it just wasn't supposed to be like this. She could feel her face stinging from the tears, and her throat sore from the sobbing. She didn't want him to see her like this-face blotchy, heart shattering, form shaking. But it wasn't like she could turn back time.

 

"S-sorry." She whispered as she made an attempt to wipe the dried trails of tears from her face, and smooth out her hair. She could've taken a step back, but there was too much on her mind for her to focus on the proximity between them.

 

"Don't be-it's not your fault for anything." He said in a voice that she never thought he could possess. It was filled with tenderness and genuine concern-she had to believe that this was all a dream.

 

"Yes it is," She said sniffing. "I shouldn't have broken down the way I did. I should've controlled my emotions and stayed stron-"

 

"You know you should really listen to yourself. You sound like you just came from boot camp." He scoffed, unable to let his rough side show through. "Your grandfather was just taken away in an ambulance; I think that's a reason to ball your eyes out." She gave a half-hearted laugh, looking back up into his eyes-the surreal eyes that she hoped wouldn't be the last time they portrayed these feelings.

 

"And if you don't want to stand here looking like hell where everyone can see you," He said in a more Inuyasha-like fashion. "Then get in." He pointed to the crimson pick-up truck that stood only a few feet from each other. She took one step towards the truck when she remembered something.

 

"I thought that your license was suspended, after you harassed that cop?" She asked, looking back at Inuyasha with suspicion. He gave her a smirk and gently pushed her towards the cab before heading himself to the other side.

 

"That doesn't matter, now does it?" He said as she slid into the cab, feeling a little queasy at the thoughts of getting in a car with him. But she realized she had no other way of getting to the hospital without walking a few miles. She only hoped that they wouldn't get pulled over anytime soon.

 

-~-

 

"Slow down Inuyasha!" Kagome said, gripping onto her seat. She understood that he wanted to get her to the hospital quickly, but it didn't help with the fact that she wasn't feeling very superior at the moment. Inuyasha looked over at her, about to snap at her for telling him what to do when he actually saw the state she was in. She was fairly pale, and she looked rather unhealthy with her weight. Dark circles had already formed under her eyes, and her lips were a light shade of blue. Truth be told, she looked as though she were about to die.

 

"Sorry, I jus-"

 

"I understand that you want to get there as soon as possible, but I don't want to die before I can actually see him." She said weakly. He nodded in understanding, not trying to upset her even more than she was. The only thing that they could hear during the drive was the roar of the engine and the soft hum of the truck as it picked up speed and lost it. An awkward silence had fallen over the two, and a tick was beginning to twitch in the back of his head. He kept his mouth shut, but the need to say something was becoming too great.

 

"Sorry." He blurted out, not even realizing what he had exactly said it for. Kagome looked over at him, looking at him a little confused.

 

"What?" She asked softly, her voice still scratchy.

 

"I uh-" He tried to think of something better to explain why a sudden apology was thrown out there, when the truth hit him like a ton of bricks. He knew why he had apologized, as an act of sorrow for her eldest family member. "For today-earlier-I'm sorry what I did; yeah." He expected Kagome to blow up at him, or maybe start to cry-but she did the one thing that he didn't expect. She looked out the windshield, waiting for the hospital to come in view, giving a soft chuckle.

 

"You aren't used to apologizing are you?" She asked, glancing at him for a moment. Dumbfounded by her question, he looked from the road to her, unable to find anything coherent. "I can tell you that I wasn't surprised."

 

"What's that supposed to mean?" He asked, his incompetent arrogant side beginning to resurface. She looked at her slender fingers that were fiddling with the hem of her shirt, before almost glancing at him shyly.

 

"It's just that I've never heard you apologize to anyone, ever. And I mean, actually admitting to someone about your fault, that's not really an `Inuyasha thing' to do." She said as she gave another chuckle, trying to make the pain she was feeling lighten a bit.

 

"He-" He began, but then he found reasoning in her words. "You're right-I'm too damn stubborn for my own good, but so are you." He made sure he pointed it out to her. It surely got her attention when she turned to look almost fully at him, shock evident on her face in a comic fashion.

 

"Excuse me? I am not stubborn!" She exclaimed, refusing the title he was trying to place her under. "I am just trying to put you in your place, that's all." She crossed her arms and looked away from him.

 

"Or more like the world." He mumbled as he turned down the last road that would lead them to the hospital. She heard his soft mumbling and gave him a narrowed look before she leant her head against the window and waited until they came to their destination.

 

-~-

 

As soon as the vehicle had stopped moving she sprung up from her seat and bolted out the cab in a frenzy. Inuyasha pulled his truck into the nearest parking space and then raced in after her, not quite trusting her to speak rationally to anyone working there. Kagome was about ready to race past the front desk, but a rather pudgy woman stopped her by calling to her loudly.

 

"Excuse me miss! You cannot go through there unless you have checked in with us!" She called as Kagome was about ready to hightail it to the ER. She turned to the woman and walked up, her face almost burning with anger.

 

"I need to see my grandfather," She ground out. "now." The woman was about to point a finger at the young lady, but Inuyasha came in faster and pulled Kagome back a little, so he could squeeze in.

 

"You'll have to excuse my fiancée; she's a little overprotective of her family members." He said, giving her a flashy smile. The woman looked from Kagome to Inuyasha, taking in their young faces.

 

"You two look a little young to be getting married." She said, giving her personal advice at the wrong time. Kagome opened her mouth to say something rather demeaning when the hand that held one of her own in a dead grip tightened, and she reconsidered.

 

"Thank you, but we love each other enough to go through with this." He said, feeling a little odd talking about Kagome in such a way. "But, the old man?"

 

"Name please." She said, falling back into her monotone line.

 

"Higurashi, Sejii." He said, knowing that actually talking to the old man would pay off one day. He could feel Kagome start to tremble again as he waited as she typed the letters rather slowly into the computer.

 

"Are you family?" She asked, looking up to eye the two teenagers. They both nodded in unison, nearly spelling out `LIE'. But the woman must've lost all of her brain cells to staring at the computer screen extensively and paid no attention to it.

 

"I'm sorry, but he's still in the ER." She said, shaking her head. He looked over at Kagome to see her eyes watering. "There's a waiting area around the corner to the right. You may wait there, and when the doctors have done what they can, then they'll inform you straight away." She gave a half-hearted smile before clearing her screen for the next people in line.

 

Inuyasha pulled Kagome around the bend to the nearly empty waiting room before he loosened his grip on her hand. He could hear her weeping silently to herself, and he couldn't help but feel a twinge of sympathy for her. He turned to her, and was almost knocked off his balance when she launched herself into his chest. He sighed, but remained as the `shoulder to cry on'-the position he had already exposed himself to only moments earlier. He rubbed her back the way he remembered his mother used to do when he came home crying-hoping to help her along her way.

 

"W-what if h-he d-doesn't m-m-make it out of s-surger-ry?" She sobbed, her body shaking in his hold.

 

"He will, don't worry. He's a strong old fart; he wouldn't give out on you so easy." He reassured her gently.

 

"But w-what if t-th-ey let h-him d-d-die?" She let out a new series of sobs, wracking her frame worse than those before, from that little word. He held her tighter, trying to stop the mild tremors from racing through her body.

 

"They won't, it's what they're paid to do." He said, giving a deep chuckle. "Stupid girl, why do you think they brought him to a hospital then?" She didn't respond, but let her tears continue to trickle down her face as she stood in his embrace. Her sobs had vanished, and she remained a broken soul for the time being.

 

-~-

 

They had taken seats on the rather comfy chairs that rested against the far wall, letting themselves have much needed space that there was. Kagome was shaking still, and she looked as vulnerable to suffer a heart attack. He merely suggested that she lie down and take a short nap, and before he knew it, her head was resting on his lap and she was out like a light bulb.

 

He was about to protest, but she looked very tired and he couldn't deny her it. She just looked so frail and ill, it would be like turning away a starving child. Hours flew by, and still no one came to inform them of anything. He just sat there, staring at countless objects that lay around the room. Numerous times they had come to rest on the ever-so-slow clock on the wall adjacent to his position, and only a few to the sleeping woman sprawled across his lap. He had lost his mother and father at a young age, and he knew how she felt-or maybe a little. He couldn't tell her that he had been in her position once, because he barely knew either of his parents before he was placed in the hands of his evil stepbrother-Sesshoumaru.

 

But, he wasn't about to lay his past sorrows on this girl. She was already going through a tragic time, and the only thing he could do was be her support when her legs failed her. Even after all the disputes between the two, he still had to help her through such time. He had to leave his pride behind for this moment, for he wa-

 

"Excuse me?" A man dressed in a white lab coat asked as he held a clipboard before him. "Mr.-"

 

"Mr. Seoki and this is my fiancée." He said shaking the doctor's hand politely. "Do you have anything on the old man?" He asked, a little antsy on the outcome. He could hear Kagome stirring on his lap, but didn't want to fully wake her until she was ready.

 

"Ah yes, I'm sorry to say this, but he didn't make it." He said, showing some sympathy for them. "He had a heart failure-we did all we could, but he didn't make it." Inuyasha closed his eyes, shaking his head lightly.

 

"H-he can't be dead." Kagome whispered, more to herself than anyone. "It just can't be." Inuyasha's eyes flew open and he looked down at the young woman.

 

"I'm sorry, but he is dead. His body is being sent down to the morgue as we speak." The doctor said, trying to emphasize his point.

 

"Inuyasha," Kagome turned to Inuyasha with watery eyes. "He's all I have left-he can't be dead."

 

-~-

 

A/U: I tried to make it longer, so I did. But I promise you there will be longer ones. I guarantee you. I usually like to leave chapters at a dramatic point before anything. But holidays are here, and I will use them to my full extent to make everyone happy. And I'm not ending any of my current stories. I love them all, they're just taking longer to progress than I thought. New ideas, new formats, new writing-everything's evolving.

 

Arriverdici,

 

Melody Unwinding