InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Unlikely ❯ Chapter 6 ( Chapter 6 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter 6
 
 
Kagome followed Ayumi home after school. They walked in silence. Good thing it wasn't awkward, Kagome thought as they stopped at a walk way, waiting for the light to change. The late afternoon sun beat warmly down on them and the wind blew around the trees and shaking the lamp lights gently. The street toward Ayumi's home was virtually deserted, and the huge hulking houses seemed to stretch for miles. The perfectly manicured lawns and shiny windows had Kagome sighing a little whimsically.
 
 
Ayumi slowed her steps when she spotted the family luxury car parked neatly in the side of the road. Kagome felt her take a deep breath, but determined both girls walked up the polished steps to the house. The huge, stained glass door opened without so much of a squeak as Ayumi pushed it open. The house was quiet, a little to quiet for her liking, but Kagome stayed close to Ayumi.
 
 
“Tanaka?” Ayumi called out and let her bag drop to the ground. Both girls looked around the vast living room, and up the swirling stairs. There was a thump upstairs and Ayumi turned to the sound and started up them. Kagome kept close and when Ayumi paused at a huge door with Kagome peering over her shoulder. With a determined breath, Ayumi swung the door open. Kagome peeked in and saw Ayumi's parents seated on lush, golden suede couches, staring intently at someone who was dressed way differently than this morning. Kagome had to blink a couple of times to actually take in the picture before her. Ayumi's parents were dressed in rich fabrics of black and navy blue. Very business like and Sesshomaru was in black slacks and a white button up shirt, barefoot and sitting on the couch like he had no care in the world. Like he actually belonged in this time, in Ayumi's library, facing Ayumi's parents. Whoa, she wish Inuyasha was here to witness this because no one would ever believe her if she told them.
 
 
“Mom, Dad?” Ayumi cleared her throat an Ayumi's parents turned to her. Kagome felt Ayumi hold her breath, and still. Sesshomaru gave her a blank stare and didn't attempt to move from his place as Ayumi's parents stood.
 
 
“Ayumi!” Ayumi's mother hugged her and her father gave her a kissed her head. Ayumi flushed with happiness and Kagome didn't even know she was holding her breath until it whooshed out in a shaky shudder. “And Kagome.” Ayumi's mother gave her a warm hug also. Both of Ayumi's parents gave a flusters look back to Sesshomaru.
 
 
“Ayumi, could you tell us who this person is and why he's in our house?” Ayumi's father asked her quietly. It was no good to be discreet with Sesshomaru mere feet away, Kagome thought, looking past the bunch at the door and to the said Demon Lord. But Sesshomaru didn't seem to mind. Kagome wondered how long they were in the library before they came back to Ayumi's house and what had transpired between them. Ayumi gulped and gave Kagome a frantic look, having no explanation.
 
 
“He's my guest.” Kagome blurted out and both Ayumi's parents turned their attention to Kagome who flushed under the questioning eyes. “He's my boyfriend's brother.” She applauded herself for the smooth explanation.
 
 
“Right.” Ayumi butted in and gave them a smile, shrugging faintly. “I didn't know when you would be home and told Kagome he could stay here until her mom managed to clear out a place of him to stay at the shrine.” Kagome smiled innocently as well.
 
 
“Actually, that's why I came here. To come and get him because his room was ready. I'm sorry about the intrusion…” Ayumi's mother cut her off with a laugh.
 
 
“No, it's alright Kagome.” She slipped her arm into her husband and pulled him down the hallway, away from the library. “Ayumi, come and speak with me after Kagome and her guest have gone. But it's no hurry. See you girls later.” And then they disappeared around the corner. Kagome and Ayumi exchanged glances and then giggled a little nervously. She didn't like lying, especially to Ayumi's nice parents but there were some cases where one was left with no other choice.
 
 
“I thought you would be gone.” Ayumi sighed, and closed the door with a slap of her wind ribbons. “Why are you still here?”
 
 
“Such a ridiculous question.” Sesshomaru replied. Ayumi grumbled something and rubbed her head.
 
 
“That was a close one. What did you and my parents talk about?” Ayumi demanded. Sesshomaru stood and walked slowly to a nearby bookshelf.
 
 
“Ayumi? That is what they called you. And here I thought your name was Akina.” He didn't answer her question, but brought a new subject for them to talk about. Kagome knew his tactics, because Inuyasha did that sometimes. After they had left the other night, they both avoided eye contact. Kagome's cheeks still burned as she vividly remembered the feeling that took over her that night. No matter how she tired not to think of it, forbidden images of she and Inuyasha rose in her head, and a slamming feeling of longing ripped across her. She wasn't so innocent that she didn't know the feeling of lust, or desire. But she never had to deal with those feeling until Ayumi and Sesshomaru opened the door to her. Now, it was constantly gnawing at her brain, torturing her senses and making her body throb with something she wanted so desperately from him. But sex and love were different things that she promised not to mix up. She knew she loved Inuyasha, loved him so much that she would do almost anything for him. She wanted to fight by his side, comfort his pains, if only he would let her. Sadness caught in her throat and she gulped down a sob. Why won't he let her? Why? Why does he have to be so darn stubborn? Why can't he forget about Kikyo?! Why does he have to hold on to that piece of clay like his life depended on it? Why…why…
 
 
“That stupid dog!” She whispered bitterly, and put a hand to her mouth to stop her lower lip from trembling. She wanted him so bad, so bad and he kept her at arms length, protecting her, saving her, but never loving her. She had this conversation with herself so many times it amazed her that it still hurt every time it came to a conclusion.
 
 
“Kagome?” Ayumi's worried voice rang though her dark thoughts and Kagome ducked her head, unable to look her friend in the eye, or Sesshomaru for that same reason.
 
 
“I have to get going.” She said in a sullen tone and left the library. She wanted to cry, but not in front of Sesshomaru. Not in front of anyone…not yet…stupid dog….
 
 
XOXO
 
 
Ayumi watched her friend leave in confusion. She never seen Kagome so sad and worn before.
 
 
“Why is your brother such a jerk?” She asked Sesshomaru.
 
 
“Half brother.” Sesshomaru corrected her almost angrily. “Ignorant, human side of him.” He looked through her, lost in his own memories and dislike for humans. Ayumi straightened her shoulders, offended by his sneer.
 
 
“Demons in this time are the minority. Humans have more to them then what you think.” Ayumi told him hotly. Sesshomaru seemed amused with her defense of the creatures.
 
 
“No doubt, your feelings are tainted. Having to endure such…things…” It was like he was forgiving her for liking humans. “I dislike staying here. I am beyond this filth and beyond these weak human. We are going back to the well, back to the time where be belong.” He told her. Ayumi glowered from her spot. He just insulted her parents, insulted her life style. And she had nothing to say to him that fully expressed her fury, and frustration. He left the room, and she followed behind him, glaring at his back. Her powers swirled around her, but she had enough pride not to strike him with his back turned. Her father had taught her much about honorable battles. He turned the corner and went up another set of stairs, but she divided from him and walked to the end of the hallway where her parents' room was. She felt Sesshomaru pause, but she jerked the door open and entered before he said anything to her.
 
 
Her parents' room was decorated in blacks and various shades of gold. Only her mother was in the room. She was a beautiful woman, a round face, and a shapely body with long, black hair and even longer eye lashes. She smiled softly and held out her arms. Tears threatened to flow, but Ayumi blinked them back and let her mother embrace her. Ayumi rested her head on her mother's chest, and closed her eyes. The soothing beat of her heart and the sound of her breathing always comforted her. Her mother stroked her hair, and rested her chin on her head, gently rocking them back and forth.
 
 
“I'm sorry.” Ayumi said after a while and felt her mother kiss the crown of her head.
 
 
“Words said in anger. I was a teenager once and my mother and I often exchanged words. I know you didn't mean what you said Ayumi.” She said and sighed, pulling apart. Ayumi smiled and sniffed back her tears. “Now, tell me what really is going on.” She said. Ayumi lowered her head and laughed a little dryly, playing with the hem of her uniform shirt.
 
 
“You wouldn't believe me if I did.” She said but met her mother's eyes and began the long, long explanation.
 
 
XOXO
 
 
Kagome returned to her home and threw herself on her bed, smothering her dry pants, forcing herself to stay composed and calm. She hated crying, and hating feeling her eyes burning with tears. She had to be strong and she had to prove to herself that she could be strong. She could be strong for herself, and be strong like Kikyo. She could be just like her! With a whole new resolve, Kagome began packing her battered yellow bag. It took three hours to get everything in it she wanted, but when dusk fell, she was prepared. With a wave goodbye to her family, Kagome left down the well. Sango and Shippo waited for her when she climbed out.
 
 
“Kagome, you came just in time!” Shippo cried and bounded toward her. Frowning, Kagome looked to Sango for answers.
 
 
“It's Ayumi. She came just a little before you did and she, Inuyasha and Miroku left to the south. I tried to ask what was wrong, but they left before I could get any answers from them. She was so angry, I never seen her like that before. She said something about a spell and a witch…but…” Sango was breathless with her rushed explanation, Kagome was confused.
 
 
“She left? Did Sesshomaru come back through the well?” They shook their heads.
 
 
“You! Girl! Where is my Master Sesshomaru?” A blustering voice made the trio turn. Jaken was pointing an accusing finger at them, with little Rin leading Sesshomaru's two headed pet dragon.
 
 
“Lord Jaken, it isn't nice to address girls like that.” Rin tried to scold him, but the demon ignored her. Rin beamed up at the two and let the worn leather reigns of the dragon fall from her little hands. Kagome smiled back. There was something about this little girl that let Kagome see a small, miniscule softness in Sesshomaru. He protected her, provided for her, rescued her…maybe even (dare she think it?) Loved?...her. “Lord Sesshomaru won't forget about us.” She assured the annoyed little green demon.
 
 
“Rin,” Kagome kneeled down in front of the little girl. “Did you see which way Inuyasha went?” Rin was thoughtful.
 
 
“I saw them about half an hour, going that way.” She pointed. “I tried to call out to them, but I guess they didn't hear me. I wanted to tell your friend thank you for helping me find Lord Sesshomaru.” She said sweetly, in all innocence.
 
 
“Even after all this time, that woman still finds a way to disobey me.” A cold, silky voice interrupted them and Kagome looked up to see Sesshomaru standing next to his pet dragon.
 
 
“My Lord!” Jaken cried out. “My Lord, are you going after them? So soon after your return?” Jaken looked a little disappointed.
 
 
“You, priestess, you will accompany me to the south western lands to seek out my wife and Inuyasha.” Sesshomaru ordered her. Kagome didn't like being ordered, but this was important, so she silently agreed with him.
 
 
“Bu-but what about us?” Jaken stuttered.
 
 
“Watch Rin.” Was all Sesshomaru said before she was enveloped into a bubble and lifted off the ground. She had grown accustomed to traveling with Ayumi, so the experience wasn't all that new to her.
 
 
“I'm coming too.” Sango called out to them, and she and Kirara leapt to the air and kept close as they flew across the land. Rin waved goodbye, and Jaken hung his head.
 
 
XOXO
 
 
Ayumi, Inuyasha and Miroku stopped by a small stream that led into the wastelands. The trees were bare and grey and the ground was dusty, and cracked. She let her bubble drop, and Miroku landed on his feet with a grunt. Inuyasha slid to a halt, beside her. He looked around the bare landscape, still, like a wolf on a hunt. A strange, prickling sensation crept up her neck and she went as still as Inuyasha.
 
 
“This feeling is not that of the witch.” She said softly. Inuyasha's hand went to his sword.
 
 
“No…it's not.” He agreed and then the attack began. She didn't know what the heck the demons were. They smelled like dead and burnt rubber. Maybe some kind of vulture bird. There were five of them all together, and Inuyasha went after the largest one. Her blood began pounding, and a smile crept to her mouth. She let two of them come close to her the smell of death almost made her gag. The swirl of dropping black feathers brushed against her bare legs, and when they were close enough, ribbons of wind tore ruthlessly across their huge bodies, and they squawked with pain. Her ribbons retracted and when they stumbled back, she skewered them with the poison claw attack and they fell to the ground.
 
 
“Dance of the Dead.” Swirling ribbons snaked out of her hands and the ribbons wrapped around the bodies of the birds. Miroku looked like he needed help, so the birds under her control turned to the one harassing the monk. Miroku scooted out of the way from his place on the ground and the undead birds surrounded the other bird and began pecking at it. Pieces of flesh were thrown about, and blood splattered. The ground soaked it up greedily. Miroku was breathing hard, but he gave her a nod of thanks and Ayumi let the spell fade and three of the birds landed in a pile. Inuyasha had killed one of the smaller birds, saving the biggest for last. The bird was much stronger than the other three and it let out a screech. The vibrations rolled over them in waves and the ground shook. Ayumi stumbled to her knees as the ground shook more violently than is should have. The dry ground rumbled and Miroku fell beside her landing hard on his butt. Then it stopped.
 
 
“Wind scar!” She heard Inuyasha yell.
 
 
“No! Stop! Inuyasha!” She screamed at him, but the attack flew from his sword as he hit the ground. And to top things off, the bird screeched again. Inuyasha's attack hit the bird and it sliced in two. The repercussions of the attack and the screech happened all at once and too fast for her to do anything. The ground shifted and broke into two like dry toasted bread. Plumes of dust rose in the air and Miroku grabbed her hand and yanked her toward him just as the ground she was on sunk and then turned into sand. It was hollow beneath them she thought as she managed to create a bubble around them. Inuyasha was jumping from pillar to pillar like a little red and white grasshopper and she moved the bubble over him and Miroku reached down and pulled him up to them for safety. They hovered over the sinking sands as it collapsed and left a huge gap easily five miles long. She landed them close to the forest floor. She let out a little laugh and shook her hair back.
 
 
“Look Inuyasha.” Miroku said. Ayumi saw it also. From the gap, red billows of a smoky like substance began creeping out. Inuyasha sniffed the air, and then put his arm over his nose.
 
 
“Whatever it is, it's not good.” He muttered, taking a cautious step back.
 
 
“It reeks of evil.” Miroku agreed with him, holding his staff in front of him, as if he was warding off the devil. Ayumi winced at a stab of pain, and rubbed her lower back. Must be all of this excitement, she thought. Well, her mood changed, as she narrowed her eyes on the annoyance of the gap. It would take them another day to go around this thing and be able to get to that witch who put the spell on her. Sai, that was her name…it…she let out a hiss as an unexpected sharp pain stabbed her in the back.
 
 
“What's wrong with you?” Inuyasha asked her roughly as he turned from the desert landscape. She and Miroku followed.
 
 
“It's nothing…” She muttered, but Miroku stopped her and put a hand on the side of her stomach. She was a little offended that he was touching her without saying a thing. She was about to shove him back with her powers, but his finger pressed into her bulge and she gasped at a small tinge of pain rippled across her uterus.
 
 
“Inuyasha, is there a village nearby?” Miroku asked him quickly. A small panic welled in her chest. Was something wrong? Why… “She needs to get some rest.”
 
 
“What? I do not!” Ayumi said hotly and slapped his hand away from her.
 
 
“She seems fine to me.” Inuyasha said with a shrug.
 
 
“But she's in labor.” Miroku protested. Ayumi paused in her steps. Was that what it was? Her blood hummed with excitement and a strange kind of fear. The twinges she felt had started an hour after she had come through the well. But she didn't think much about them. Inuyasha was silent, staring at the Monk.
 
 
“You can't wait?!” He finally exploded. Ayumi glared and rubbed her lower back again. “Hold the kid in until we find Sesshomaru!” Ayumi humphed. Like it was that easy, the jerk.
 
 
“I don't think it will happen anytime soon Miroku, so don't…” She hissed again and grabbed her belly where the muscles contracted. This one felt like it was ripping her from the inside!
 
 
“Damn it!” Inuyasha roared. “Why now of all times!”
 
 
“Inuyasha, a village?” Miroku said calmly. Glowering, the half demon pointed.
 
 
“Over there.” He muttered. Well, this was just great! She didn't want to have the baby here! Where there was no hospital. No drugs! Oh the horrors of childbirth! She wanted to be a huge comfy bed! Besides, it was too soon for the baby to come! She had one more pass though the well!
 
 
XOXO
 
 
Kagome saw a plum of red smoke billowing into the air from far away. Soon, Sesshomaru stopped and she looked curiously at him. Without saying a word, her yanked his bubble sharply to the right and had her crashing against its cold walls, and then she fell on her butt. Glaring at him, she decided to say on the ground. Sango and Kirara followed. They traveled a little longer until he landed them in the forest. From the tops of the trees, she saw the dull lights of a village nearby.
 
 
“What…” Kagome began but Sesshomaru walked quickly to the edge of the forest, where the village began.
 
 
“A demon! Kill it!” Kagome ran ahead of him, a realized that they weren't talking about Sesshomaru. People ran to their houses and the village plaza soon emptied until she saw Inuyasha and Miroku facing off with a strange demon that looked like some kind of possessed flower. A baby's cries could be hear above the battle, shrill and angry. Did Ayumi…? Her thought was interrupted when from the corner of her eye; she saw a small shadow moving to a little hut. It snaked in and she heard a yell, and then the flap of the hut blew open.
 
 
“Ayumi!” She knew it was her friend that used her powers. The little shadow blasted though the wooden roof of the hut, with something struggling in its arms. She armed her bow and shot an arrow. It flew through the air and managed to nick the shadowed figure in the arm. It lost it hold on Ayumi and she began to fall. What? Why couldn't she use her bubble? How could she be taken so easily?! The shadow figure recovered and dove, catching Ayumi and then it made its escape. Kagome started after her, but was jerked back. It was Sesshomaru, and he looked really angry.
 
 
“If anything happens to my child in his care, I will hunt all five of you down and kill you. Understood?” He asked her in an icy cold, extremely silky voice. All Kagome could do was nod in agreement. He let go of her arm and left after Ayumi.
 
 
“Hiraikotsu!” Sango's voice yanked her from her speechlessness and the demon roared, and Inuyasha finished it off with his wind scar. Kagome ignored them for the most part, the baby was still screaming its head off. The hut was lit with a single candle. It was nicer that what she expected. Small bits of debris littered the ground where the shadowed figure had made its escape. Under a white blanket, the baby waved it white fists in the air angrily. Kagome kneeled down and pulled the blanket from its face.
 
 
“Aww, you're just so little!” She exclaimed and gently picked the child up, freeing it from the blankets.
 
 
“Is it alright?” Sango entered soon after the monster fell, and Miroku and Inuyasha followed.
 
 
“He seems to be okay.” Kagome said, standing with the squealing bundle in her arms.
 
 
“He?” Sango asked excitedly and dropped her weapon. Miroku had to jump out of the way before it crushed his foot.
 
 
“That damn monster was just a decoy.” Inuyasha grumbled.
 
 
“I wonder who sent it.” Miroku put a hand to his chin. Kagome ignored them and tried to calm the crying baby. His little face was getting red, and his snow white hair was still wet.
 
 
“Would you calm the brat down? He's giving me a headache!” Inuyasha had to yell to be heard. The baby continued to squirm and Kagome tried to bounce him.
 
 
“He won't stop!” She said in an exasperated voice and held him out to Sango. A little taken back, Sango took him, but the baby caught his breath and then let out another howl. She held him out to Miroku, and when Miroku failed to calm him, he held him out to Inuyasha. The half demon snorted, but the look Kagome gave him, made him hold out his arms in a grumble. Just when the baby's head rested on his arms, did he stop. The whole group sighed in relief. Inuyasha stood, a little surprised as the baby turned in his arms, until he was comfortable. He stuck his little fist in his mouth and suckled.
 
 
Kagome caught the blush on Inuyasha's cheek and little butterflies swarmed
madly in her stomach. “Keh, spoiled brat.” Inuyasha muttered, tucking the blanket around the baby. “And don't look at me that way!” He yelled at the group who had goofy little smiles on their faces. Kagome giggled and followed him out of the hut.
 
 
“How did you guys get here?” Inuyasha asked them as they stood around the dead monster. The village men began moving it out of the plaza.
 
 
“Sesshomaru brought us.” Sango said.
 
 
“And where is the bastard?” Inuyasha asked them.
 
 
“We went after Ayumi.” Sango said back, strapping her weapon to her.
 
 
“Just like him to leave me taking care of his problems.” Inuyasha grunted. Kagome smiled.
 
 
“Your nephew isn't a problem. He's your family now. Sesshomaru must have enough respect for your strength to leave his first born son in your care Inuyasha.”
 
 
“Keh, whatever. Are we going to stay in this village for the night or what?” Kagome caught the change of subject. He seemed embarrassed by the fact. But, it was true. It would probably be the only compliment Sesshomaru would ever give his brother.
 
 
“I'll go and ask.” Miroku said with a smile and started walking to the palace.
 
 
“I'll go with him.” Sango said in a wary voice. Well, she would make sure that Miroku wouldn't swindle the village chief too much.
 
 
XOXO
 
 
AN: A little short, but I've been sitting on this chapter for a while. So anyways…Review! Kisses :muh: