InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Unworthy One ❯ Chapter 12 - Jaken Still Doesn't Know When to Keep His Mouth Shut... ( Chapter 12 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
**Not for Kikyou Lovers! This story contains violence, sexual content and rape! You are WARNED**

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha, nor any of the associated characters. But it ain't because I don't want or wish to do so.




Chapter 12 - Jaken Still Doesn't Know When to Keep His Mouth Shut...


Sango had left on Kirara, with Shippo to fetch Rin, Sesshomaru's ward, along with Jaken, his retainer and Ah-Un, the two headed doragon (dragon) youkai that accompanied them, and served as an effective means of transportation and added protection for Rin. While they were gone, Inuyasha took a quick scout around the area for any unexpected predators, and brought back additional wood for the fire.

Kikyou still lay where Sango had left her, tied and gagged by the very tree where the Taijiya had three times pinned the vile mouthed ex-priestess with a blade to her throat. She was cold and uncomfortable, hell she was shivering. Although she didn't complain too much about that, as it meant that she lived. Something that she had longed for almost more than anything over the last four and a half years.

Still it would have been nice to be able to warm herself by the fire with everyone else, and she would have been if it were not for that bitch of a tainted re-incarnation of her's. Damn bitch didn't know when to give it up. But that didn't matter so much now, after all, Kikyou was alive once more. She could make a life for herself, and maybe even have a family. Simple things she had always wanted.

Maybe she could even connive that stupid and slow half-breed into believing he wanted to be ningen again. He might make a presentable ningen, and he was after all, the son of a Lord, albeit a Youkai Lord. All she needed to do, was find a way to either kill Kagome, or to have her will herself to die. Then Kikyou would have the jewel back, as once the Chosen Guardian was no longer alive to protect the jewel, and the final wish not made, it would have to go back to its previous protector. Well no matter, if he turned out to be unsuitable to her needs and desires, she would just find some nice acceptable, perhaps well to do ningen and in no time she would have the life she always wanted. A nice, comfortable, ordinary life.

She suddenly found herself roughly lifted up, and carried closer to the campfire. While there was no deliberate harm caused, she was not treated with kindness, as she was dropped unceremoniously on the ground near the fire. It was much warmer than being near the forest's edge.

"The gag will be removed," spoke Inuyasha in her ear quietly. "But the first word spoken before you are asked a question, and I will make sure that you have even less voice than Kagome has right now."

That was a promise, not a question or a threat. Kikyou could hear it in the hanyou's voice. Memories of a younger Inuyasha, a far less trusting one than he had become over recent years, came rushing to fill her thoughts. Perhaps he was not as stupid and slow as he seemed. Perhaps she would regret her new found life.

The gag was removed, as were the bindings that had restrained her ability to move freely. A cup of hot tea, and a bowl of stew was set beside her, then she was pretty much ignored and left alone. A couple of times, she looked around her, trying to assess her situation. Could she escape and run away unnoticed? Could she steal a few supplies and perhaps a knife for protection?

But even as these thoughts crossed her mind, she sensed a chill run down her spine. Looking around she found that not only was Inuyasha watching, so was the houshi, and her sister. There would be no running this night, nor on any other night either. She was watched and while the company was not hostile, it certainly was not welcoming either. So she resigned herself to just sitting and eating the food they gave her.

-----------------

Inuyasha, for a change, was not sitting in a nearby tree. This night, he chose to sit nearer the fire and the tents. He wanted to be near Kagome, even if he could never have her in the way he wanted, he would still do his best to be there for her. She needed all of the support and encouragement that she could get right now, whether it was him, their companions, or even his brother.

He hurt more than he thought he could. He had never truly seen the gift that had been offered to him countless times over the past five years. She had told him, repeatedly that she loved him, thought he was best as hanyou, that she believed in him, that she would always be with him. And she had kept her promise, too. She was there when he fell, there when he was injured, to bring him back to sanity from his youkai self, saving his life time after time, seeing the things around them that he didn't see himself. Always she was there.

Not only had it become natural for Kagome to be there, he had made the biggest error of his life, in not realizing that she was THERE, and took her for granted instead. Kagome always forgave, Kagome always came back, Kagome always had a sunny disposition, and warm welcoming smile. She always had a kind word, lent a helping hand, tried to find ways to be helpful, never forced anyone to do or say anything that they were not ready to do.

She cared for their wounds, brought them all gifts and treats from her era, shared her family with him openly, and asked for nothing for herself in return. Nothing except to be loved. Loved by the one person that she had trusted and believed in more than anyone or anything else in the world.

True he had saved her life on many occasions. It had been his job, as they searched for the shards of the jewel. And truth be known, he had never really hated the task. In fact, he had been rather proud that she had 'chosen' him as her protector. They had shared so very much together. Joy, sorrow, pain, companionship, the proud moments, and the sad ones, the times of celebration, and the times of despair, and yes, even love. He could see now, what he had missed so very much back then when it would have counted for something. There had been love. She had been trying in every way she could to show him how much she loved him, loved him enough to not judge him for his infatuation with Kikyou, loved him enough to try to support him in his desire to always be with his first love, to let him go to Kikyou even though she got mad when he did, to not stand in his way, even though she truly didn't want him to go to the undead priestess. She loved him enough to let him go.

She gave him the Tetsusaiga, stood up to his brother when he was down, faced him bravely when the odds were against them, braved his youkai self when no one else would or could, supported him when in battle, allowed him to realize his true strength, gave him the power to truly use Tetsusaiga, stood beside him as they faced many of their enemies, defended him when the odds were grim, and stood up to him when he was wrong. How had he missed so much, over so long a period of time, with so many trying to make him see what was right in front of him? And now his chance was gone.

Not only had he hurt her, but he had pushed her to the very brink of insanity. Just a kind word every now and then would have made all the difference. Why had he found it so hard to give something so simple, when he easily gave it to others. He was far more forgiving to Sango, Miroku, and Shippo. Hell, by comparison, he was far more forgiving to his brother. But to the one person who needed it the most, and asked for it the least, he had been cruel beyond reason. Now she lay in his brother's arms, lost in a sea of despair from which she might never find her way home.

'Kami, please. Please bring her back. Let her know that she is loved, appreciated, cared for, and wanted. I will spend the rest of my long and unnatural life doing whatever it takes to repay her for what I failed to see, even though it means that she belongs to my brother. Whatever makes her happy is all that I ask,' his thoughts rang through his mind.

------------------

Miroku was sitting beside the fire, keeping a pot of water hot nearby. Kagome would need more of the herb tea during the night, and it was best to keep the water hot until it was needed. Kohaku sat with him, apparently lost in his own thoughts.

For his part, Miroku was amazed at all that had transpired since their encounter with Naraku. He remembered Sango getting hit and falling. He had known she was dead before she hit the ground. Hiraikotsu was a most effective weapon in the hands of a Master, something that Sango more than fit the description of. But getting hit by such a huge and heavy weapon in full flight, as she had been, would seriously hurt anyone.

In his rage at seeing the woman he so loved, fall to such an unfitting death, he had left his shakoju stabbed in the chest of the last youkai he had faced, and tore open his Kazaana, not caring that there were hordes of Saimyoushou just waiting for him to do that. He sucked up everything that came near her or tried to harm the little Miko, who he thought of as his sister. But they had kept coming, and coming, wave after wave of youkai and the Insects of Hell. He recalled falling and losing consciousness, and then nothing.

'That must have been when I died,' he thought. Died leaving only Shippo and Kagome to face that horrid villain alone. It must have been horrible for the two, and then finally Kagome. He could not even imagine the scream that tore her throat so bad that she had almost no voice, let alone the strength, determination, and bravery to walk willingly up to Naraku and touch him so as to finally defeat him.

Nor could he imagine the depths of a despair so great that made Kagome want to accept all of the pain she already had, both mentally and physically, and ask for more believing that she deserved no better. That she would want to use the wish of the jewel to bring them back made perfect sense. Kagome had always been one to think of her friends and those she cared about, before herself. But to think that she was a burden to their lives, burden enough to believe that it was all her fault that they had died, or that they would be better off without her.

These were the things that were harder to accept. Imagine yes, but accept no. She desperately needed to know that she was not a burden, and that they all needed her. She was an important person, not just because of the Shikon no Tama, but because of who she was.

Now, she lie with Inuyasha's cold hearted Youkai brother, as his mate. No, obviously not cold hearted. There was a lot more to the Youkai Lord that anyone truly knew, even Inuyasha himself. But it was something that no one had ever even considered, let alone might have thought possible. Kagome, mated to Sesshomaru, Lord of the Western Lands, and carrying his pup, no less.

While these thoughts and more were running through the houshi's mind, he watched as Inuyasha returned from scouting the area with a load of wood and then went over and grabbed Kikyou, dragging her over by the fire and dropping her unceremoniously on the ground. He heard Inuyasha tell her that he would remove the gag, but that she was to keep her mouth shut. Miroku had to admit that even he didn't want to listen to the arrogant bitch. He chose not to speak to her, but did give her the courtesy of getting her a bowl of the stew made up for dinner and poured her a cup of tea.

He then sat back, with his own tea, and like Inuyasha watched the ex-priestess carefully. He didn't trust her. Something about her rubbed him the wrong way, and it was not power, for now he could sense that she had none. It was just something about her that screamed that she could not be trusted.

---------------------------

Just a short time later, a noise coming out of the distant west alerted those waiting by the fire of the coming of Kirara, Sango, and Shippo along with the charges they had been sent to fetch. Soon the neko youkai could easily be seen, followed closely by an odd two headed doragon (dragon) youkai, with a small girl riding his back holding the doragon's reins. Shippo was sitting beside her, carrying Jaken's Staff of Skulls.

Jaken proved to be the source of the annoying noise. With his yelling, it was obvious why he was being so annoying. He was making sure that the world knew of it without the slightest bit of consideration for where he was, let alone who might be near.

"...said, put me down. Put me down right this instant. My Lord will have your head for this. Kidnapping his ward, and abusing me, his loyal and most valued retainer," the little gami (toad) youkai yelled. "I said, put me down. Put me down this instance, you stupid neko. You are all going to be in a lot of trouble when I report to my Lord Sesshomaru."

The noisy gami (toad) could be easily heard from a long way off, and the loud mouth youkai was easily getting on everyone's nerves. His ranting continued as the neko and doragon youkai both came in for a landing. He never even broke rhythm in his lippiness despite the fact that he was hanging from the neko youkai's mouth.

"Just you wait. You are all in trouble now. Let me go. Let me go this instant. Give me back my.....umph....Staff of Skulls," he continued, not even noticing that he had been unceremoniously dropped to the ground when Kirara, simply opened her mouth just before landing, "back this instant. Just you wait. When I report to Sesshomaru-sama, he will kill all of you."

By now the very annoying and whiny little gami (toad), had everyone on edge. He only just now took note that he was now on his feet, and promptly started searching for his Lord and Master and the little kitsune who had his Staff of Skulls. "Where is the dirty little runt. I will fix him."

Seeing the two tents already setup, and noticing that the flap on the one closer to the fire was open, and just making out the fairly luxurious pile of sleeping furs just inside, Jaken deduced that this had to be the tent that his Lordship would have taken for his own comfort. After all, Sesshomaru-sama only deserved the very best. The other tent obviously was not to his liking. So Jaken decided that he would just report to his Lord what these filthy ningen and this worthless hanyou of a half brother were up to, and let him take care of this matter.

Deciding that his decision was the only sensible way to cope with the current matter, he promptly headed towards the tent that housed both Sesshomaru, and unbeknownst to the gami (toad), Kagome. With complete confidence in his right and misplaced might, and determination, the wayward retainer marched for the entrance to the tent he was sure his Lord was currently resting. Much to his chagrin, however, Shippo stepped into his path.

Shippo no longer had the Staff of Skulls, he had given it to Sango, as soon as, they had landed. Regardless, the kitsune was just as determined as the gami (toad). The determination for both quite apparent to any onlookers. On one side, that Jaken would not enter the tent, and on the other that Jaken would.

"Get out of my way, you vile little brat," yelled Jaken. "I intend to report to his Lordship about your vile actions. Hrrumph! Such treachery will not go unpunished. Move it. I intend to speak to my Lord immediately, you dirty little excuse for a youkai."

"You will leave my mama alone," hollered Shippo in defense of Kagome. Though Shippo was a bit smaller, he still dared to stand up to the little gami (toad). "She and your Lord are resting, and they do not need to be disturbed by a stinking little gami (toad) like you."

"Why, you dirty, stinking little excuse for a kitsune," yelled Jaken. "I will have you know that there is no way that my Lord would defile his illustrious self with a weak, pathetic, and useless ningen, especially his half breed brother's wench. Now get out of my way this instant."

"You filthily, lying gami (toad)," hollered Shippo, Miroku and Inuyasha started forward to intervene before things got out of hand. "My mama is not useless, nor is she weak or pathetic. You are the pathetic one, you dimwitted baka."

Jaken was at his limit for tolerance, not that he was tolerant really, but as this was not Rin and certainly not someone who was under his Lord's protection, he felt free to be as abusive as he chose. Unfortunately, he failed to reckon with two things. First, the unknown and unpredictable, at least to him, factor of an ill, but still protective little Miko, and second, the opportunity he presented for finding himself face to face with an outraged Youkai Lord.

"I will show you who is stupid," he yelled, as he proceeded to leap forward and slap Shippo.

**SLAP**

"There, that will show you to respe......*cough*...*choke*....*cough, wheeze*...." he never got to finish what he meant to say. Suddenly he was unable to say anything at all, and his normal sickly green tone, was even sicker looking that usual. It was now that Jaken took note of the hanyou rapidly approaching him, fangs bared, claws extended and growling viciously.

Luckily, or not, someone else beat the hanyou to his target.

----------------

Peaceful slumber warmly wrapped both the Great Lord and the little Miko resting in his embrace. It was something that she so desperately needed, and the comfort that he offered her by his very presence did much to help keep her rest peaceful, safe, and comfortable.

Unfortunately, he was sharply awakened by the commotion outside upon the arrival of his ward and retainer. He was rapidly losing patience with the stupidity of his retainer, especially when it should have been more than apparent that Sesshomaru had ordered the Taijiya to retrieve the baka gami (toad). He might have left the matter to his half brother and companions, but when he heard what the damnedable gami (toad) chose to say that was the the last straw.

Though it was small, at the sound of Jaken using those three choice words that had come to symbolize so much for the little Miko, Sesshomaru was sure that he felt her flinch. She appeared to be sleeping, however, it was obvious that the annoying, baka servant had awakened even her. She made very little outward show of how the words so strongly affected her, but a tear did slip down her face at the vocalization of those three most horrid terms.

However, when he started in on the little kitsune, there was much more of a reaction from Kagome. It seemed not even to be a conscious act, but a very instinctive one, and on some level Sesshomaru understood it. Quite suddenly, at the sound of Jaken's abusive words to the kit, Kagome's eyes shot open, and where there had once been sightless pupils was now a brilliant glow that easily lit up the inside of the tent. Her body began to tremble, and before Sesshomaru could do more than lean closer to her, he caught the smell of fresh blood.

**SLAP**

To her, her pup was in trouble. Someone threatened him with harm. No one threatened her pup, not without consequences.

"There, that will show you to respe......*cough*...*choke*....*cough, wheeze*...."

Sesshomaru could already hear Jaken out front choking and gurgling as he tried in vain to breath. Instead of rushing immediately outside, he leaned over closer to Kagome, pulling her back into his chest, and whispered in her ear.

"Shhh! It is alright Kagome. I will take care of the kit. You can stop now. No one will harm the boy," he told her. "I swear it. Let me take care of this. You need to stop before you open all of your injuries again."

It took a moment or two for Sesshomaru to get the little Miko to register what he was telling her, but she finally did settle down, and as she closed her eyes once more, the light in them dimmed back to the dull appearance of before. Sighing quietly in frustration at little henchman's actions, he slipped out from under the furs, and stepped in all of his glory to the entrance of the tent. He was just in time to see his struggling and now silent retainer, still hanging about six inches off of the ground, with all of the appearance of being held by his throat.

Sesshomaru stepped out of the tent, and immediately grabbed his retainer by his head. Speaking loud enough that his voice carried inside of the tent, Sesshomaru spoke to Shippo.

"Kit, go to your mother," he told Shippo, "she needs you. Rin?"

"Hai, Sesshomaru-sama," she said quickly. "You and the old miko will go with the kit. Miko-baa-chan, her wounds need to be tended again."

As he spoke, Jaken suddenly regained his ability to breath and his choking finally stopped. Sango seeing the state of undress of the Youkai Lord, immediately turned away blushing furiously. Kaede, just took things in stride, as did Rin, as the two moved to comply with the Lord's request. Kikyou found herself slack jawed, staring, and almost drooling until Inuyasha growled at her. Of course Miroku, Kohaku, and Inuyasha paid him no mind. Myoga may have been around, but if he was, no one knew where.

Sesshomaru returned his full attention on his baka retainer, who currently looked as though he just remembered that he had a problem remembering when to keep his mouth shut.

"Jaken," he growled, fangs clearly showing, "how much value do you place on your life?"

"Hm, uh....Only has much as my Lord sees fit to offer, sire?" he stammered.

"Good! I am really glad to hear that," he growled even more, eyes slightly red, "because right at this moment, I do not see anything of worth in a filthy, pathetic, weak, and useless little gami (toad)."

Jaken's already bad pallor got worse, if that is possible to even imagine. Now the little gami youkai decided that it was better to keep his mouth shut, which was something of a miracle, especially as he had already managed to shove the proverbial foot in his mouth, up to about the knee cap already. (A/N: Wonder if he is willing to shove that foot up to about the hip....Hmmmmm! Not quite yet....HEH! HEH! HEH!)

"First, I told the Taijiya and the kit to bring you and Rin here. So unless you are choosing to tell me that you were disobeying one of my orders, I should be finding out that you gave the Taijiya all available cooperation," Sesshomaru said to the now silent gami.

"Second, in case you were unaware of your position just a moment ago," Sesshomaru continued, "that, as you called her, weak, pathetic, and useless ningen is the one that had you subdued. Keep in mind that she did this while nearly unconscious, without drawing a heavy breath, and while lying near death's door."

Jaken audibly gulped at that information. He remembered all too well, how it felt like someone had fingers at his throat squeezing until he could no longer breath. He had been shocked that he felt that but saw no one there.

"Third, that so called weak, pathetic, useless ningen is my mate," Sesshomaru said startling the little youkai enough that he gasped in shock at the revelation. "And if I even remotely hear either directly or indirectly that you have lain a hand on the kit again, or that you have used ANY derogatory remarks in any kind of reference to either herself or any of those she calls friends, or family, I will personally rip out your vocal cords and offer your services as village baby sitter to the Miko's village."

He paused both for effect and to make sure that his retainer understood his words. He was not one to repeat himself, and Jaken knew this well.

"If for any reason," Sesshomaru continued, "Kagome or the pup she carries is harmed because of your behavior, I will make you wish that death was waiting for you."

*Gulp...cough* "Hai, my...L-l-lord," said Jaken, quickly shutting up once more.

At that response, Sesshomaru hauled back with the arm that still held Jaken, and with the skill of an Olympic Shotput Thrower, he hurled Jaken into the darkness, nodded in satisfaction, and returned to his mate. In his wake was a still blushing Sango, Miroku, Kohaku, and Inuyasha gazing off in the dark in the direction that the little gami youkai went flying for a brief moment, only to turn and continue to proceed to take the supplies from Ah-Un's back and then start setting up the small tent among them, and a still drooling Kikyou. Kaede was still in the tent with Kagome, Rin, and Shippo.

-------------------

Inside the tent, Shippo quickly made his way to Kagome, he could still hear Sesshomaru outside talking to the others and to his retainer. He could smell Kagome's blood, and prayed that she was not bleeding like before. He walked up by her head, and reached out a tiny paw to brush her cheek. At the action, she almost instantly calmed and started to relax again.

Almost immediately, Rin and Kaede followed him. Rin walked over and knelt by Shippo, who had told her of what he knew, on their trip back from the clearing that Sesshomaru had told them about. Rin reached out and ran her fingers through the little Miko's hair, like Shippo trying to help even if it was just something as small as a gesture.

"I'm ok mama. Arigato for wanting to protect me. But you need to rest mama," softly cried the little kit. "I need you mama, need you to get better. Sesshomaru-sama is here and he protected me, too. So you can rest now mama. Onegai, rest and get better!"

Kaede gave a soft, though sad smile. Shippo had become very close to Kagome over the years. She had become in many ways the sister he had never had, and the mother that he had long ago lost. She knew how much Kagome meant to the young kit, and how much it would devastate him if the little Miko died.

She carefully pulled back the furs, being cautious of her feet. At least the bandages on her feet didn't look like they had bled any more. That was at least one good sign. From there, she worked her way up, her old and gnarled hands carefully and expertly checking all of the serious injuries to see how they were fairing. The gash on Kagome's right leg looked much better than it had, as did the long cut from her right shoulder to her left hip. The bandages were still clean and no new blood had made itself known from those injuries.

It was the shoulder wound that had reopened this time, so with Rin's help, while Shippo continued to offer what comfort he could to Kagome, the elderly miko set about changing the bandages on her shoulder. She was quite pleased to see that even though the wound was bleeding, it still had grown considerably smaller since Sesshomaru had given Kagome some of his blood, and her fever had gone down considerably. All good signs despite the fresh bleeding.

Kaede and Rin had both heard when Sesshomaru had suggested that Jaken would be welcomed as the village baby sitter. Kaede held back a chuckle, but Rin couldn't help but giggle at the idea. She had been traveling with Sesshomaru now, since she was about eight years old. The young teenager had put the little toad through ropes that he had never known possible. Still Rin felt some care for the arrogant, bad mouth little gami youkai, and in fact, had even risked her own life to save his at least once.

Still, Jaken had been wrong to bad mouth Sesshomaru's choice of mate, and should not have questioned so adamantly the Taijiya's word. After all, they had not only met them all before, but there had even been times when Sesshomaru had worked with and even received help from his brother and his odd little pack of adventurers.

Rin helped Kaede by lifting Kagome's head and her upper shoulders enough for the old miko to finish applying a clean bandage. As the old miko was getting ready to put the clean wrap on Kagome's shoulder, Sesshomaru returned to the young miko's side, and settled in preparation for being able to lie down beside her has he had before.

"It was not nearly as bad as the last time, my Lord," spoke Kaede. "Just a bit of new bleeding from the puncture in her shoulder. It even looks much improved despite the presence of new blood. Ye blood is as powerful has rumoured, my Lord. It would not harm her to have more of the same."

Sesshomaru nodded his understanding, and with the old miko's aid, was soon tucked back in behind his mate, holding her protectively against his chest. Shippo, Rin, and Kaede turned to leave, when his voice stopped the three.

"Rin! Shippo! You will stay the remainder of the night. It will help reassure Kagome of your well-being," he said. Rin carefully, in her simple kimono, crawled under the warm furs and curled up in front of Kagome, being careful of the onna's feet, and Shippo curled up, just under Kagome's chin. Not long after, an arm ever so slowly, found its way around Rin's waist, pulling the girl closer to the injured Miko, and another pulled a snuggling Shippo just a bit more snuggly under her chin. Both children drifted into peaceful slumber, soon followed by the now comforted Miko and the satisfied Taiyoukai.

----------------------------------

Silence once again hung over the camp. Something of a miracle in itself, considering the night's events so far. But for once, it seemed like it would hold for the night and those present took comfort in that thought.

Jaken had yet to return from wherever he had landed after the Youkai Lord threw him. Sango had finally gotten over her blushing at the appearance of a well endowed Youkai Lord, standing in all of his glory. Kaede had returned to the fire, making sure that everything was at hand for the next time that they needed to take care of Kagome's injuries. Seeing that it was, she chose to turn in for the night, and retired to the second of the tents, after bidding everyone a good night.

Miroku, Inuyasha, Kohaku, Sango, and Kikyou were still sitting by the fire, when off in the distance the grumbling of a particular gami youkai could be heard. Sango suddenly stood up, and turned towards the sound, Hiraikotsu comfortably sitting on her back.

"I need to take a short walk," she stated firmly, although it was clear that she was angry and trying not to show it. "I will not be long, nor will I go far. Kirara!"

At her call the neko youkai gave a small mewl, and proceeded to follow her mistress into the dark. They walked only a short time before they came to the source of the grumbling. Jaken was making his way slowly to the encampment. As was typical of the mouthy little gami, his mouth was running, his feet moving, and his eyes not paying a whole lot of attention to the surroundings of his environment. It is certain that if a half starved, and obviously desperate youkai was out looking for a decent meal, Jaken would not have been it, but then beggars can't be choosers.

So, when the Taijiya suddenly grabbed the grumbling mess by the head and held him like someone about to pop a zit, gleefully, he was taken by surprise.

"Considering that you are about as aware as a rock, it is no wonder that you have to follow someone like Sesshomaru around. If it were not for him, you would have died long ago," said Sango, almost casually, while holding Jaken up to look him in the face.

"Shut up," Jaken spat, "What do you know? I am a most powe...*GULP, GURGLE*"

"I know that you do not know when to keep your yap shut," Sango growled, doing a downright good imitation of Sesshomaru or Inuyasha. "I know that I am sick and tired of everyone who doesn't know a damn thing about her, putting Kagome down. I know that Kagome is the one who defeated Naraku, which is a shit load more information than you know, you worthless excuse for a gami."

Sango was frustrated and angry. It seemed that everyone was out to get her 'imouto'. The girl had been through more than enough, and she was getting tired of everyone wanting to either put her 'imouto' down, or hurting her. This sad excuse for a youkai was not going to be aloud such 'privileges', as long as Sango could find a way to put a stop to it. Besides, she felt a need to work off a little of her building frustration. 'Hmm, maybe this was why the Taiyoukai kept this otherwise, seemingly worthless little gami around,' she thought.

"I know that Naraku is dead. I know that Inuyasha, Miroku, Kohaku, Shippo, Kirara, and myself were also dead. So was that bitch, Kikyou. I know that we all would not be alive right now, if it were not for your Master's mate," Sango continued to growl, shaking Jaken almost at every word. She noticed this, as she spoke and finally settled for pinning him up against a tree by his throat. 'No wonder Sesshomaru seemed to like this particular hold so much, it had a rather satisfying feel to it,' was the almost unconscious thought in her mind as she continued.

"I know that I have traveled just about everywhere with that same onna, for the past four and a half years. I have come to feel that she is a sister to me, as she feels the same about me. I know that she has suffered far more than you can possibly imagine, and that despite your opinion of her, it was her, by herself, with no one else to help her, who killed Naraku in the end," Sango informed the rather wide eyed youkai.

He gulped, or tried to. Sango noticed that with each sentence she was tightening her hold, and somewhat reluctantly, she eased up her grip. This was most definitely a satisfying hold. She would have to remember this for future use.

"I, also, know that if I ever hear of you saying so much as one single solitary word that I consider to be out of line, concerning my sister, I will personally rip out your throat," Sango paused and thought for a moment. Much to Jaken's chagrin, an almost evil gleam came into the Taijiya's eyes. She turned back to the little gami, and the look on her face made Jaken almost quake in fear.

"No, I have changed my mind," she said with a most evil sound to her voice. "I won't rip out your throat." Jaken sighed in relief, but it was not to last.

"Instead, I know of this wonderful village. Nice place really, and it is only about 45 minutes flight from here," Sango explained. "I have it on good advice that they could use someone with your.....talents. Someone with experience taking care of young children. There has to be...oh...say...about 50 or 60 children there. It is a sizable community you see. They range from just walking to young adults, and their parents are always looking for full time baby sitters."

Jaken paled, and almost fainted. Fifty or sixty young Rin's....

'AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!'

"On the other hand, I am a very forgiving person." continued the Taijiya. "I might reconsider my first idea, if I had the right incentive."

"Incentive?" squeaked Jaken, trying not to choke from the tight grip the Taijiya had on his throat.

"Hai, incentive," she said. "Kagome-imouto, has had to go through a quite a few bandages and herbed salves for her injuries. This also, means that she doesn't have any suitable clothing either. Then of course, your Master has been most generous in using part of his own clothes to help my imouto, not to mention with all of that blood, his own clothing has become soiled. Then of course, there is the matter of much needed bathing supplies, as Kagome is going to need a bath and soon. Then a few of the minor necessities, like hair brush, sho...."

"Ah! Yee.....ss...uhm...I just....might know wh...ere to get such things," stammered the gami, each word gaining him a bit more breath, as Sango further loosened her fingers. "But, the nearest place is at least a good three days walk from here."

"Fine that is but a 30 minute flight for Kirara," Sango said, grabbing the gami youkai by the collar of his shirt, and proceeding towards Kirara, who had just transformed into her full self.

"Wh..wh..where are we going?" asked a very concerned Jaken.

"To see just how good you are at getting those items I mentioned," said a determined Taijiya, as she leaped onto Kirara's back, dragging Jaken after her.

"Now?" yelled the scared gami.

"No time like the present," said Sango happily, her evening finally starting to look up.

----------------------------------------

Inuyasha and Miroku were just beginning to get worried about how long Sango had been gone, when suddenly Kirara landed just a little beyond the tents, and walked calmly the rest of the way to the campfire. Once there, Sango dismounted, Jaken closely following, and both carrying some packages with them.

Without a word, Sango cheerfully took one package into the second of the tents. A very subdued Jaken, in the mean time, took the second and larger package to his Master's tent. Quietly, he slipped inside just long enough to leave the package, and then came back outside. He retrieved his Staff of Skulls, which had been left by the Taijiya with Kohaku, earlier, and then returned to sit down in front of the entrance to his Lord's tent, and seemingly went to sleep.

After a few moments, seeing that Sango apparently had turned in for the night, Kohaku stood and followed his aneue. Inuyasha made a brief trip into the same tent, got a blanket, and returned to the fireside. He took a moment to stare coldly at Kikyou, before he threw the blanket at her.

"You will be sleeping out here tonight," Inuyasha growled, then turned and walked to the edge of the woods, and leaped into the nearest tree to stand watch.

"I will spell you on watch tonight Inuyasha," said Miroku to the retreating back. "Second half is mine."

"Hai," said the hanyou from the branch of the tree that he had chosen to spend the night.

With that, everyone settled in for a quiet night. Well, at least quiet for what was left of this night.