InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Unworthy One ❯ Chapter 18 - Homeless and Trying to Stake a Claim... ( Chapter 18 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
**Not for Kikyou Lovers! This story contains violence, sexual content and rape! You are WARNED**

Disclaimer: I do now own Inuyasha, nor any of the associated characters. But it ain't because I don't want or wish to do so.


Chapter 18 - Homeless and Trying to Stake a Claim...



She had been in the village now, for almost two weeks. Her back ached, fingers bled and her once elegant nails were long since broken. Dirt seemed to be permanently crusted into every crack and crevice of her hands, but she was not afforded the luxury that she once had of time to bathe in the nearby stream on the edge of the village.

It had taken much of the first week, for her to heal enough from the remaining wounds she had suffered from the attack of the youkai, for Kikyou to be able to work in the nearby rice fields. With spring well under way, it was that time of the year, when the fields were prepared, and planted for the first crop of the season. Even after she had healed enough to make it to the fields, she was laughed at for her lack of experience in doing the long, tedious and back breaking labor.

By the end of the second week, she was sore, half starved, and exhausted. The one set of clothing that she had been given was torn, and already thread bare. It had not been the best quality available, and she lacks the means and skill for fixing the damage to the garment as the need arose.

A small group of the local villagers came knocking on the door of the ramshackle hut, on the extreme edges of the village. It was all that they would offer her as shelter, not wanting to have it known that the once dead priestess Kikyou was even living near their community. She answered the door, only to find the monk, village head man, and a number of the community sentry, were all standing somewhat warily of even being near her, let alone having to take the time to talk to her.

The monk cleared his throat. He was the spoke's person for the little group, being the only one who had the courage to even speak to the woman that had once brought so much fear into the lives of so many. "How are you tonight, Kikyou?" he asked, more because he could not think of a better opening to the news that they brought, than as an act of courtesy.

Kikyou knew this, and could see that fear, anxiety, and hatred that all of the men, except for the old monk, held in their eyes. She just gave them a heated glare, knowing that their true reasons for coming at this hour, was anything but good news.

"We have come, as I am sure that you can guess, to inform you that you have until dawn to leave our community. You are not welcome here, and the rumours of your past deeds will only bring bad luck to our village," spoke the monk.

"Many of the women are convinced that you bring evil with you, and whether you do or not, is immaterial. It is believed that anything you touch is cursed and will only bring harm and darkness to those who are nearby. It is what everyone believes, and to be honest with your past reputation preceding you," the monk stated firmly, "no amount of persuasion on my part will convince them otherwise. It is only because I have vouched for you, that you have been permitted to stay this long."

The village headman, final got up the courage to speak to the ex-priestess himself. "Here," he said, casting a small bundle at her, "We are generous enough to give you one more set of clothing, but that is all we can spare. If you are here when the sun rises, orders have been given to kill you."

With that being said, the group of men turned and left that unwelcome ex-priestess to her own designs. They didn't care if she chose to burn the shack down, as long as she left. Hell, once she was gone, they would burn it down themselves. No one would want to keep the tainted hut around any more after she stayed here. It would be burnt down, and the ground cleansed and blessed to purify any evil she brought with her by just being here.

----------------

He was tired. More tired than he could remember being for along time. But then, the pack healer had been telling him that he needed more time to heal, and that he would feel weaker than he had gotten used to over the last four and a half years.

Kouga had not realized how used to having the shards of the Shikon no Tama in his legs, he had become. That is until Naraku sent Kagura and the young taijiya youth to remove them from him. He had fought with everything he had, but in the end, it had made no difference. Out of impatience, Naraku had finally shown his face at the last moment, bound Kouga in his poisonous tenticles, and literally dug out the shards with claws that dripped thickly with his vile miasma.

That had been more than three weeks ago, and had it not been for Ginta and Hakkaku, who were always following their Prince everywhere, finally catching up to him, Kouga might have died that day, just from the blood loss and the poison in the torn and ripped muscles of his legs. As a youkai, he was fortunate that his legs would heal fully and he was even up and about a week later. Even now, three weeks after the incident, he was able to run, but only at about half of the speed he was so used to, and even then only for short distances.

'Chikuso (damn) you Naraku!' he cursed for probably the millionth time. If he could find a way, he would make that filthy baka pay for the pain, blood shed, and aggravation of it all.

Thinking of Naraku, brought thoughts of the Shikon no Kakkera. Thoughts of the jewel shards, brought thoughts of inukuso. Thoughts of dog-shit, brought thoughts of his woman. All in a round about way, it all came to mean he was long over due to pay his beloved a visit and see if that baka excuse of an inu hanyou was taking proper care of his woman.

With those thoughts in mind, Kouga had started out on a journey to the village near Inuyasha's Forest, with the intent of seeing how his woman was faring. The downside, is that was more than a week ago, and it would be another day before he got there. Kuso (shit), he hated feeling so weak and it taking him this long to get somewhere, that he could have been in only three days, if it were not for his having gotten way to used to using those accursed jewel shards.

Ginta, and Hakkaku were traveling with him, although knowing that Kouga was not in the best of moods, they tended to remain quiet. He had suffered a great deal of pain and his injuries had been very bad, but the same stubbornness of their Prince was what made him a good and strong leader. It also, made him difficult to deal with at times like these.

Deciding that he wanted to at least be well rested when he got to the village, Kouga, much to Ginta and Hakkaku's relief announced around sunset that they would be camping for the night. Several of the pack ookami were traveling with the ookami youkai, and during the day had managed to flush out a couple of brace of quail. A warm fire, and a good meal did much to improve Kouga's attitude, and they sat in companionable silence for a while after they had finished eating.

A sudden noise set them all on immediate edge and before the source of the noise could be spotted, the three youkai was on their feet and in defensive stances. With a sigh of relief, they all eased their guard when a runner came into view traveling the nearby trail. They have forgotten that they were on one of the more common and well travelled roads, as a result the unexpected appearance of the runner had caught them off guard.

The runner was happy to share his news, in exchange for a meal and night's rest with in the safe company of the ookami youkai. So it was with complete and total shock that Kouga learned that his most hated enemy was not just gone, but had been purified to hell, along with all of his minions and offspring.

The runner didn't have all of the details and specifics, but he was able to tell them that all of the Inu pack had died in the last battle, with the exception of the young Miko, who had traveled with him. As the runner was not from the village near Inuyasha's Forest, he was not privy to the more accurate information, and failed to note that the pack members were all alive. But he was able to inform the by now stunned Kouga that the little Miko was in the village, healing from her injuries incurred in the battle, and that she was mated to Inuyasha's brother Sesshomaru, Taiyoukai of the Western Lands.

"NANI?????" screamed a now rabid Ookami Youkai Prince. "Kagome is MATED???? MY WOMAN HAS BEEN CLAIMED BY WHO?????"

Wisely, Ginta and Hakkaku along with the ookami stepped back, and lay or bowed in submissive postures. It was the safest thing that they could do, what with an now enraged and red eyed Kouga on what was obviously a war path. By chance the runner, fell to the ground, and luckily it was enough to appease the youkai so that he was not immediately attacked on the spot.

Within seconds, Kouga was off and running, his earlier tiredness completely forgotten. Nothing was going to stop him or get in the way of his rescuing his woman from inukuso's wretched brother. She was his, and damn it, he was going to claim her. Following a short distance behind, was Ginta, Hakkaku and the ookami.

----------------------

It had been a long day. The in flow of visitors pouring in from other villages were getting larger, almost by the hour. What had started as a trickle the night before, was almost a full fledge traffic jam by mid-afternoon. The celebration that had begun the day before continued long into the night, and showed no signs of slowing down even with the approach of a new night.

It had not been all happiness and delight for the Inu-pack. Their efforts to use the old well that morning had been for nothing. They had tried for over an hour to see if the well would let Kagome and/or Inuyasha through. But apparently it had sealed up just and unexpectedly has it had opened five long years ago.

Of course, this had saddened the little Miko, and rightfully so. But her friends and mate didn't allow her time to wallow in her sorrow. They all admitted to her, that on some level they were sad that she could not see her family for a long time, but in the long course of it, they were glad that she could stay in Sengoku Jidai with them. As they told her, she still had family, just a bigger and more diverse one.

It took a bit of doing, but they finally managed to cheer her up, especially when Inuyasha and Sesshomaru reminded her that being bound as she now was to Sesshomaru, she would get to see her mother, brother, and Ojii-san again one day. It was a long wait, but it still cheered her more than she had thought that it would.

The group saw to it that Kagome spent much of the day resting. She would need to get plenty of it for some while yet. With as much blood as she had lost, being so seriously injured and on top of all of that being with pup, it was best that she get plenty of rest and lots of fluids. The fluids were the least of their concerns, as not only was there plenty of that to go around, it seemed that everyone who caught sight of her without a mug of tea, juice or water nearby, immediately made sure that one was present and full.

The villagers made sure that every new visitor was aware that the little Miko needed rest, and that they would not allow her to over exert herself even for the benefit of all who came by to see the Miko who had finally defeated Naraku. With the intimidating presence of the Youkai Lord, and the threatening glower of protective Inuyasha, all of those visiting respected the young onna's need for privacy and rest.

Still, as the sun once again began to kiss the western horizon, a palanquin was once again found being carried to the comfortable seating arranged by the Goshinbuko. In truth Kagome found it heartwarming that the defeat of Naraku seemed to touch so many lives. That she had a part in helping to rid their world of his evil, made her feel better about herself than she had thought possible.

By now the tale of the final battle had managed to become a tale of how she had stood alone, sword (she had no idea where that came from) in hand, as she single handedly defended all of her friends and destroyed every youkai that Naraku could throw at her. By the time this new version of the story made it to her ears, she was laughing so hard, the tears were streaming down her face.

The nights festivities were well underway. Lamps lit, food galore, stories and songs abound. The gifts from far off villages continued to pile high, and everyone, even Inuyasha was having a good time. Miroku was in his glory. With so many beautiful women around, his silver tongue graced many a femine ear, and his wandering hand, graced many a soft and willing curve during all of the celebrating that was going on.

Of course, Sango was more than aware of this, but surprised everyone when she didn't seem to let it bother her in the slightest. It left an unanswered question hanging in the air, but no one felt the need to approach the Taijiya and asked what was on her mind.

A visiting noble from one of the regions larger communities was currenty paying homage to the Inuyasha group, and most especially to the little Miko and the Taiyoukai. Greetings were made, and pleasantries exchanged, when a sudden whirlwind of commotion brought immediate silence to the entire area.

Kagome could feel the approach of a powerful and familiar youkai, accompanied by two others. Before she could whisper the name, Inuyasha was up, Tetsusaiga in hand, as were Sango and Miroku. But none were as fast as Sesshomaru, who was in the blink of an eye standing before his mate in a protective stance, his hand on Toukijin.

Even the village guard took up a stance of protection for the Miko from the future. Any who were visiting and had warrior skills soon joined them, realizing that there was a clear and present threat to the safety of a highly respected Miko. This show of force was not something that Kouga expected, nor did he expect to see Inuyasha and his group standing between him and his woman.

"Why are you alive, Inukuso?" Kouga growled. Ginta and Hakkaku stood behind him, but both did their best to show that they were not getting involved in this fight. "I had heard that you were killed by Naraku."

"Feh, wolf breathe! The rumours of our demise were not exaggerated," stated Inuyasha standing proudly, but alert and wary. "What do you want, Kouga? As if we can't all guess."

Despite the barrier of protective warriors between him and Kagome, Kouga could just see her sitting against the Goshinbuko behind everyone. She was overly pale, and looked like she had not only lost a lot of weigh, but as though she had suffered a lot, recently.

"What have you done to my woman, dog breathe?" he demanded in anger and rage.

"We have done nothing, Kouga," stated Sango, Hiraikotsu in hand and ready to fly. "She is recovering from the injuries she suffered at the hands of Naraku. She doesn't need your posturing in her condition. If you cannot behave, we will have to insist that you leave."

"Who are you to believe that you can stop me from taking what is mine?" he demanded of the group as a whole, although he kept his eye on Inuyasha.

At this statement, Sesshomaru took a step forward, "She is not yours, Ookami Prince. Leave before you regret your behavior." At his words, even Ah-Un and Kirara stood in further defense of Kagome.

Ginta and Hakkaku seeing this, knew that Kouga was making a big mistake. This was not good. "Kouga, perhaps we should do as they say," said Ginta.

"Yeah, Kouga! We really should just settle down or leave," Hakkaku agreed with Ginta.

"Shut up, you sniveling cowards. Run if you do not want to stay," Kouga growled to his pack brothers, keeping his attention now on both Inuyasha, and Sesshomaru. "I am not leaving here without Kagome, and nothing you do or say will stop me from claiming my woman."

With that, Kouga suddenly lunged forward with the intent of maiming anyone who stood in his way. Of course Inuyasha was the first one on his list. He knew that Inuyasha expected him to rush straight for him, so instead Kouga feinted him out, by rushing toward the Taijiya and the houshi first.

Seeing that he was aiming away from him, Inuyasha lunged forward to intercept the Ookami Prince. Had Kouga been actually aiming for the Taijiya and the houshi, Inuyasha's move would have easily taken him down. Unfortunately, he found Kouga had suddenly veered right for him, kicked out with his foot and caught Inuyasha's arm in an unexpected blow. It happened that this was the arm of the hand that held Tetsusaiga, and as the blow struck his arm, the unescapable reflex was for his hand to loosen its grip.

The sword flew skyward, as Kouga once again launched himself at his adversaries. He had used the momentum that he had started with, to kick off of Inuyasha's arm, almost as soon as his foot had hit its target. This sent him right back at the houshi, who ducked to roll to the side, and the Taijiya, who didn't have more than enough time to lift Hiraikotsu in preparation for throwing.

Just as with Tetsusaiga, Hiraikotsu was also launched skyward, and as fate would have it, both were coming down, fast. Unfortunately, they were not coming down to land safely to empty earth, but by chance were coming down on either side of the Goshinbuko, where Rin and Shippo had been standing out of the way with Kirara and Ah-Un.

The collective gasp that ran through everyone watching was the only signal to the combatants that something was seriously amiss. Before anyone could do more than turn their heads, a flare of power filled the entire area with a bright white light blinding everyone. Kouga only had time to see that he was aimed feet first right for Sesshomaru, before he felt himself gripped none to gently by the throat, held suspended in the air just inches from his intended target. The bright flare died back a little, now lighting the air like the sun at midday.

But that was not what finally got his attention. What really made him gasp, not just for air, was the fact that no one was holding him, and on his left was a hovering Hiraikotsu, and on his right Tetsusaiga, still remarkably fully transformed and just like himself, no one apparently holding either weapon.

A loud, clear, angry, and commanding voice filled the entire clearing, and half of the forest at that moment.

"No more! Your carelessness has put the lives of my pup and my daughter in danger," came the message. Kouga could not see who it was that was speaking, and while the voice sounded familiar, he could not quite place it for the very strength of the power that backed it. He was still being held by his throat, but found that he was able to breathe even if he could not speak.

Who was holding him? Who had that kind of power? Who in the seven levels of hell was doing this? He saw, out of the corner of his eyes, Ginta and Hakkaku come up to stand on either side of him. Sango ran up to stand beside Hiraikotsu, and Inuyasha did the same for Tetsusaiga. Neither immediately touched their respective weapons, just stood waiting, but Kouga could not understand what for.

"If you wish to stay," came that voice, "and enjoy the hospitality offered, you are welcome here. But you will not be permitted to harm anyone. Do you understand this?"

"Kouga," spoke up Ginta, staring beyond Sesshomaru and shaking in fear, and awe. Kouga could see that Hakkaku was doing the same thing. "You have better listen. You really do not want to mess around here."

"I...am....not...leaving...without.....Kagome.." sputtered Kouga around the tight hold on his throat.

"You had better listen, Kouga," said Hakkaku. "This is not something you can or even want to deal with."

Sesshomaru knew what was happening without even turning around. He was glad that he didn't smell any blood, but he knew that this had to end and soon, as Kagome's health could not handle the strain being demanded of it at the moment for long, and there was serious risk to the pup she bore.

"Kit," called out Sesshomaru, his voice commanding everyone's attention. When Shippo bounded up to Sesshomaru, he nodded to the little kitsune, knowing that the kit understood what he needed him to do.

Kouga watched as Shippo disappeared from his limited range of view, behind the Taiyoukai, who still stood between him and Kagome. The Taiyoukai turned his attention to Kouga, and even as he watched, the Youkai Lord sheathed his powerful youkai sword. Sesshomaru looked Kouga right in the face as he spoke.

"Understand Princeling that you hold no claim on anything or anyone here," he spoke calmly, although his tone brooked no argument on the matter. "Feel the force that binds you right now, yet no hands hold you. See how the same power that binds you, also holds the two weapons on either side of you."

Kouga could hear Shippo behind Sesshomaru, and could tell that the worried kit was talking to Kagome. But the words didn't make a lot of sense to the Ookami Prince.

"Mama," he heard the kitsune saying, "you need to let Kouga go now. Onegai, mama! The fighting has stopped now, and Rin and I are safe. You saved us, mama. Let Sesshomaru and Inuyasha take care of it now. Onegai, mama. Stop and rest now. You will get sick again, and maybe hurt the pup."

Before Kouga to try to piece the words to some kind of meaning, the Taiyoukai took a slow step forward, commanding the Ookami Prince's full attention once more. Both Ginta and Hakkaku stepped back as the Lord of the Western Lands stepped forward.

"Remember the feel of what binds you now, Princeling," growled Sesshomaru, his eyes showing signs of bleeding red, "Remember it well, and know this. If you have endangered the lives of my mate, and my pup, I will personally make you wish for death. Look upon the one who holds you, and remember."

With that last line, Sesshomaru stepped aside to give Kouga a full view of what everyone else could see. At first the brightness of the heart of the light filling the area, left the Ookami Prince blinking wildly, trying to clear his vision. He could still hear the kitsune's pleas for whoever he was talking to, to let him go and to rest.

Kouga finally felt himself being slowly lowered to the ground, as his eyes began to clear from the brightness of the light before him. The light continued to fade, little by little, but not before Kouga finally saw what was before him. Kagome, eyes aglow, sweat pouring down her expressionless face, in complete contrast to the anger that had backed the voice earlier.

Shippo was pulling her the hem of her kimono, trying to calm Kagome. He was soon joined by Rin, who also was trying to get Kagome to let Kouga go, and to stop before she got sick again. Almost as soon as Kouga's feet touched the ground, Kagome fainted. She would have hit the ground, except that Sesshomaru was behind her in a flash, catching her up in his arms, and making his way to Kaede's hut. Kaede was already headed there, having anticipated what would eventually be the outcome of this situation.

Several of the town sentries, were immediately beside Kouga and restraining him until either Inuyasha, Sango, and/or Miroku advised them otherwise. Miroku, having regained his feet just before Kouga was halted, quickly pulled out one of the many ofuda that he frequently carried with him, and plastered in on Kouga as a restraint to keep him from causing any more trouble. Sango, and Inuyasha had both grabbed their weapons, as Kagome had released them, safely putting the weapons away.

"That was Kagome?" was all the Kouga could say.

"Hai," said Sango. She turned to look at Miroku, both nodding in silent agreement. Sango took up a stance on Kouga's left side, and Miroku on the right.

"Inuyasha," the houshi spoke, almost conversationally, "why don't you go make sure that Kagome-sama and the pup, is alright. Sango-san and I will take care of Kouga. We have been wanting to speak to him anyway."

"Hai," said Sango, "It has been a long time Kouga-kun. Kagome has been wondering how you have been. We have much to discuss. How about down by the springs, housi-sama?"

"The perfect place, Sango-san," spoke Miroku cheerfully. Too, cheerfully for Kouga's comfort. "Ginta! Hakkaku! Perhaps you would both care to join us!"

Although stated as a polite request, the look on the houshi's face made it more of a command. Both ookami youkai just nodded yes, and the five them then soon disappeared into the darkness, headed for the nearby hot springs.

Inuyasha, Tetsusaiga safely sheathed away, headed immediately for Kaede's to see how badly Kagome was hurt by this latest altercation. How much more was the poor onna going to have to suffer before everyone just let the Miko alone?