InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ We Belong ❯ Reflections ( Chapter 2 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

A/N: I still don't own Inuyasha or any of the other characters below.
 
A big thank you to Trusuprise and YoukaiMusashi for their comments on the story thus far! Please check out their stories on this site for excellent plots and quality writing! Can't thank these ladies enough for taking the time to help me clear my thoughts…and for encouraging me!
 
Key:
 
“…” spoken conversation
`…' character thoughts
 
Furisode: “virginal” kimono style with long sleeves worn by unmarried, young women
San-san-ku-do: `three-times-three-sips' part of traditional Japanese Shinto wedding where the bride and groom drink sake together
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 
As soon as Inuyasha left the boundaries of the village, he took off at the fast pace he enjoyed traveling when on his own. It had been too long since Inuyasha had been able to push his muscles to the limit, allowing the wind to whip through his hair as he ran just for its own sake - no specific destination in mind, no youkai to fight, no friends to rescue...no strangely dressed miko to save.
 
“I love him so much that it hurts!”
 
Villages and isolated huts flashed by as Inuyasha picked up speed allowing turbulent emotions to translate into action as he recalled Kagome's privately spoken words.
 
“But he doesn't love me…he still wants Kikyou.”
 
With the slightest shift in position, Inuyasha leapt into the air, reveling in the temporary weightlessness of being airborne, of being free. If only it were that easy to quell the heaviness that clutched his heart, tugged at his mind.
 
“I love him for who he is. I accept him as he is.”
 
Barely suppressing a snarl, Inuyasha landed with great agility only to take off again. To an onlooker, the hanyou was sheer poetry in motion - fluid grace punctuated by crimson, silver, and gold.
 
“I love him…”
 
Inuyasha pushed himself harder…but try as he might, he couldn't outrun Kagome's desperate voice that replayed over and over in his head.
 
“I love him…”
 
Blood pounded in his ears along with the whistling of the wind. Inuyasha, normally so attuned to the world around him was completely oblivious to the scents and sounds that whipped by. There was only that voice…the echoing, sweet voice of the girl…of the miko…of the woman…he couldn't bring himself to face at the moment.
 
“I LOVE HIM…”
 
With a final leap, Inuyasha found himself gasping for breath at the edge of a large clearing that ended in a cliff overlooking a neighboring valley. A short distance away from the ground's edge stood a lone sakura tree, which was currently in bloom. Making his way over to the tree, Inuyasha bowed his head slightly and murmured, “Mother.” After having buried his mother here as a child, Inuyasha had not been able to obtain a proper marker for her grave. Anger filled his golden eyes as he recalled how nobody had wanted to help an orphaned hanyou child honor his mother's memory.
 
`Stay away, youkai filth! Your mother was a demon's whore - death is too good for the likes of her!'
 
It had been the same situation no matter what village he had tried his luck at, whether he had approached his kin or complete strangers. But Inuyasha was determined…he would endure anything…any humiliation, any jibe as long as he could pay his mother the respect she deserved. Recalling her love of sakura blossoms, Inuyasha had searched far and wide for a sakura sapling to plant as the only marker for the site that was so dear to him. Over the years, he had watched the tree gain in height and width. The trunk now stood over one meter tall and was one quarter of a meter in circumference. At the moment, the sakura tree was in full bloom, so heavily populated with fragrant pink blossoms that it was hard to see the tree's branches. An idle breeze blew through the clearing, bringing the scent of sakura more strongly to his nose and a few flowers to his feet, as if in greeting. Smiling softly Inuyasha felt his angry memories leave him as he made his way over to the tree with emotion filled eyes.
 
This had been one of the first places he had visited after Kagome had unsealed him. Inuyasha had come to both pay respects to his mother and to assure himself that her grave had not been vandalized during the 50 years he had been in his enchanted sleep. Occasionally Inuyasha found himself here when he needed to get away from everything, when he needed time to think. After seating himself at the base of the tree so that he could look upon the large lake in the valley below, he closed his eyes and let the sound of the water splashing against the rocks below fill his ears.
 
`Love.'
 
`How can Kagome say that word so easily? And about me?' Inuyasha sighed as he leaned against the sakura tree's trunk. He was no fool and knew that Kagome had feelings for him. How could he not, with the way she worried for him…cried for him…tried to look after him when he was wounded? `I've always known she's cared…as a friend. But she used the word love…'
 
Inuyasha had been rendered both shocked and awed by the girl's confession...that she felt so strongly for him…a hanyou. In the Feudal Era, “love” was something left for court poets, musicians, and foolish men to obsess about…make declarations for. Love was not the concern of warriors. And hanyou…a hanyou, most would say, had no right to exist or feel, let alone be the recipient of someone's affections. While Inuyasha was loathe to admit it out loud, in his heart he wondered if they weren't right. His life had been filled with nothing but disappointment, jeering voices, and pain for so long. Everything, everyone he touched seemed to be taken away from him… that is, until he met Kagome. With her, life somehow seemed better. Yes, there was pain…but there was also laughter and friendship. But was he worthy of this? Worthy of her? Would this happiness last?
 
“Keh. People in her time talk too damn much.” Inuyasha scowled. From listening to the moving pictures that Kagome enjoyed watching during her visits to see family and friends, Inuyasha had realized people there spoke much more easily about their feelings than he was used to. `Maybe that's why Kagome is so open about everything?'
 
Part of Inuyasha desperately wanted to believe this…believe that Kagome could not really love him the way she had told the Eri girl…to discount her words as something people said casually in her time. But a larger part of him scoffed at his own cowardice, at the way he wanted to doubt Kagome. Inuyasha had smelled Kagome's anxiety…her fear…her sadness during her confession of love for him. No, her words hadn't been spoken casually at all. The girl had meant every syllable that had passed her sweet lips. And she had not meant for Inuyasha to hear her. That alone convinced him of her sincerity. Kagome, his beautiful Kagome, always putting her feelings aside for others…for him. She had not wanted Inuyasha to know…did not want him to feel that he had to make a decision…
 
Inuyasha knew that Kagome's strength of heart and purity of soul were unique to her and her alone. `Keh, Kagome'd be the same even if she had been born during this time. She's too damn trusting…so caring with everyone.'
 
No, Kagome's words and feelings could not be ignored. But what did that mean for Inuyasha? What did he feel for the girl?
 
“Do I…love…Kagome?” Inuyasha whispered softly, testing the way the words felt coming from his own tongue. Again, that four lettered word seemed to taunt him. He was a warrior, a fighter, a man of action…not words. Love. He had never questioned his own capacity to feel the emotion for anyone but his mother. Not even Kikyou had moved him to question the depth of his feelings for her…at least, not while she had been alive. Then, Kikyou had made all the decisions. Their plan for the future had really been Kikyou's…Inuyasha had simply been content to go along, satisfied with the knowledge that he would no longer be alone. Inuyasha grimaced as his mind replayed Kagome's words…her fears regarding himself and Kikyou.
 
“…every time Kikyou comes around, Inuyasha forgets all about the rest of us…he forgets about me…and I'm always so afraid that one day he just won't come back…”
 
`Kagome, that's what you truly think isn't it? That I can so easily forget you?' And Inuyasha knew he only had himself to blame for this. He inwardly winced as his conscience reminded him of all the mean spirited things he had ever said to her during his fits of anger or when he was feeling too vulnerable to her. The worst were the words he threw at Kagome when he compared her to Kikyou. Inuyasha was all too aware that she was insecure about the miko who she was supposed to be the reincarnate of. How could he not be, with the way Kagome's emotions were so easily spelled out in her eyes, expressions, and scent?
 
Inuyasha fluidly rose to a standing position so he could look upon the valley that was nestled beneath the crag he was standing on. The site was dazzling - lush greens broken only by a scattering of peasant huts. In the distance there was a scenic river, weaving its way towards the sea, a moving ribbon cutting through the land. But even more eye catching was the large lake, its surface so calm it seemed to be made of glass, which took up a central portion of the land below.
 
Thinking of Kikyou always left Inuyasha feeling unsettled. When he had first met her, the miko had simply been a means to an end. Inuyasha had wanted the Shikon jewel and she had it in her possession. As he stalked her to plot the best way to steal the jewel, Inuyasha couldn't help but notice how lonely Kikyou seemed. Even more shocking to him was the fact that Kikyou knew he was following her and didn't appear to mind - and in fact, seemed to seek out his company. After having been alone for so long, it felt good to be around someone who didn't want to kill him the moment he looked away. It felt so damn good to have someone speak to him without fear tinging their scent and curses and threats directed towards him in every sentence. Since the death of his own mother, Inuyasha had not experienced much gentleness in his life, and to have it come in the form of a miko - the sworn enemy of youkai - was strange. But for the first time since his mother's death, someone actually reminded Inuyasha that he was alive - that he was more than a misfit to be feared or ridiculed - that he was capable of still caring.
 
Inuyasha sighed as he recalled the events leading up to his sealing. Even now, Inuyasha didn't know if he really would have gone through with the wish to become human. It had been a spur of the moment promise; it was the only way Inuyasha could have had a future with Kikyou. She was tired of being the priestess who protected the sacred jewel, and given her training and beliefs, Kikyou had been unable to consider any relationship with Inuyasha while he was part youkai. Kikyou's request had made so much sense at the time. Yet even then, Inuyasha acknowledged that while the desire to fit in somewhere, to finally feel accepted was strong, some part of him had been uneasy about giving half of his heritage up…especially the physically stronger half. `Would the fuckin' jewel have caused more problems with that wish? Would I have been happy if I had stayed in my human form forever?'
 
Inuyasha shook his head as if to clear his thoughts; they never had a chance to find out because of that bastard Naraku and his own evil schemes for the Shikon jewel. The events of that fateful day, now over 50 years ago had left him sealed to the Goshinboku with his human heart feeling betrayed and his youkai self lusting for revenge.
 
`Gods, I was so confused when Kagome unsealed me…' Inuyasha's thoughts trailed off as he closed his eyes, recalling the fateful day that he had been given a second chance at life…by Kagome's hands. Once the magic of the sealing spell had dissolved and Inuyasha first looked into Kagome's eyes, his human heart had reacted to her similarity to Kikyou while his inner youkai - with one sniff - wanted her…wanted to taste her…wanted to keep her near.
 
Never before had Inuyasha felt such a potent pang of desire for a girl. Kagome's scent of summer flowers was forever burned into his memory from that first day. Inuyasha's physical reaction to Kagome had both confused and frightened him. After his mother's death, Inuyasha had spent most of his energies on surviving. Teaching himself to find shelter, track and hunt, and defend himself from larger enemies were priorities. He had never had much interest in or use for the opposite sex. While his friendship with Kikyou had stirred a half forgotten need for…companionship, understanding, and acceptance…he had never been gripped by physical desire. But now, with the end of his enchanted sleep came an onslaught of feelings, triggered by this girl who stood before him, that caused heat to pool in his abdomen and his loins to tighten. The shock combined with his acute awareness of Kagome's proximity had caused Inuyasha to lash out at her - halfheartedly of course.
 
While 50 years had passed for the world around him, the events with Kikyou were branded freshly in his memory as if they had occurred yesterday. Inuyasha wasn't about to fall victim to another girl…especially another miko. And yet, to his horror, Inuyasha felt a helpless urge to be around Kagome - to be surrounded by her scent. The rushing of blood, pounding heart, and emotions too foreign to understand had made Inuyasha feel so vulnerable…Kagome made him feel vulnerable. And then, there was the matter of feeling duped and betrayed by Kikyou.
 
`No, it was that bastard Naraku!' Inuyasha reminded himself, not for the first time. Even after knowing the full story, it was hard for Inuyasha to erase the image of an angry Kikyou pointing a spirit-powered arrow at him, from his mind. Thankfully, fate had quickly given Inuyasha an outlet for the pent up aggression he felt whenever he reflected on that time - Naraku. The evil hanyou took sick pleasure in destroying so many people's lives - and was only too happy to twist the dagger into old wounds: taunting Inuyasha about the way he had turned Kikyou against him; turning Kohaku into a puppet; afflicting Miroku's family with a curse that carried through the generations.
 
It had taken Inuyasha a long time to come to terms with the events that had led to his being sealed, and it was Kagome with her gentle ways, warmth, and selfless courage that was key in all of this. Because of Kagome, Inuyasha had ended up with a pack - albeit a strange one - consisting of a perverted monk, a female demon exterminator, and an orphaned kitsune. But as peculiar as they were as a group, and as irritating as they could be as individuals, Inuyasha knew that he would do anything for them…and for Kagome…he would give his life.
 
Inuyasha's thoughts were interrupted by the sound of a child crying in the distance. Ears twitching towards the source, he found himself leaping off the cliff, in the direction of one of the settlements without a second thought.
 
`I'll just see why the brat's crying…that's all.' Inuyasha thought, `Besides, all this thinkin' is making my head hurt.'
 
The child's voice seemed to originate close to a hut - a farm by the smell of it - near the lake, and Inuyasha turned gracefully in midair towards that direction. Through his travels with Kagome, Inuyasha had grudgingly become used to helping strangers out of a variety of predicaments, usually without benefit to himself. An image of Kagome's smiling face flashed through his mind - she would no doubt expect him to go see what the kid was fussing about.
 
`Keh, I'm getting' soft.' Inuyasha thought, with a self deprecating smirk, `But maybe that's not so bad…'
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 
Kagome sighed as she continued to walk with her companions in silence. Her conversation with Eri as well as Inuyasha's absence weighed heavily on her mind as she and her friends headed towards Kaede's hut. As they drew closer to the village, Kagome could see that the place had been transformed. Colorful paper lanterns and streamers swung gaily from wires and poles while the sound of music and hammering filled the air along with the cries of street vendors. In the center of the village, finishing touches were being placed on a low, flat stage that would serve as the dance area for the night's festivities. Kagome's mouth started watering as the scent of frying food wafted over on the breeze.
 
“I completely forgot about the wedding!” Kagome exclaimed as she took in the way the quiet village had turned into a bustling center of action, filled with colorfully dressed strangers leading horses behind them, the gray dust of travel evident on their clothes.
 
How could she have forgotten? After all, it wasn't every day that Kagome and her companions were invited to attend a village wedding as honored guests…by no less than one of the village's more prominent members. It was ironic, really. When Kagome had first found herself in Kaede's village, the inhabitants had thought her a demon or a spy from another town. Being found in the “Forest of Inuyasha” - holding onto the sleeping hanyou - had not endeared her to the townsfolk. And they did not know what to make of her strange clothes or utterly confused state. But opinions had quickly changed once Kagome's status as the Shikon's guardian…as the reincarnate of the town's beloved Kikyou, became apparent. Even Inuyasha, who had once been mentioned in cautionary tales told to naughty children and frightening bed time stories, had undergone a transformation of image. The village children, or “whelps” as Inuyasha called them, were no longer frightened of him, much to Inuyasha's confusion and slight dismay. In fact, on most days, they could be seen running around, brandishing swords fashioned from tree branches, yelling “Tetsusaiga!” at the top of their lungs, engaging one another in mock battles.
 
As a group, the Inu-tachi were thought of with an affectionate hometown pride by the people in Kaede's village. True, the villagers were still privately scandalized by the length of the young miko's strange kimonos…and the fact that a female had chosen to become a demon exterminator, a job normally fit for men alone. Truer still, that the men were suspicious of the purple robed monk - he always seemed a little too friendly with the young women of the village - more than any other man of the cloth they had ever encountered. And as for the demons…most of the villagers were wise enough to know that their homes, crops, and very lives had been preserved on more than one occasion because other youkai did not want to face an enraged inu-hanyou, sly kitsune, and intimidating nekko youkai. If this protection meant that they had to swallow their natural revulsion of demons…their natural fear of non-humans, so be it. After all, they were simple farmers and tradesmen…a practical people.
 
“Kagome-sama, it is understandable…after all, you've been away for three days now and today has been a bit unusual, ne?” came Miroku's smooth reply.
 
“Even though it slipped my mind, I am looking forward to taking part in a traditional Shinto ceremony.” Kagome said as she continued to observe the activities in the village.
 
“Why can't I come?” asked Shippo, glad that the uncomfortable silence that had surrounded everyone ever since his beloved Kagome had returned, had finally been broken.
 
“Shippo-chan, you know that only close family members and invited guests can attend the san-san-ku-do.” Sango answered.
 
“But I want to see the `three-times-three-sips' ceremony too!” he whined, “Why do Kagome and Miroku get to see it? They're not related to Taka-sama!”
 
Kagome smiled tolerantly at Shippo as she bent to ruffle his hair, “Shippo-chan, Taka-sama has invited us to help bless the ceremony. But everyone, including you and Sango-chan, are invited for the festivities afterwards. Okay?”
 
“Inuyasha too? Will Inuyasha be there as well?” Shippo asked innocently, oblivious to the reactions on his companions' faces.
 
Kagome stiffened and she had to work hard to keep a smile plastered on her face as her thoughts returned to the missing inu-hanyou. `Inuyasha will you be there? When will I see you again?'
 
“Come, Kagome-chan. You will want to rest a little before we get ready for the ceremony.” Said Sango as she tugged on the miko's arm, encouraging her to continue the last few feet leading to Kaede's hut.
 
To the group's surprise, Kaede met them at the door.
 
“Ah young ones, ye are back I see. Come in, come in.” the older woman called out in an excited voice.
 
“Kaede-baachan, it looked like you were just about to leave…please don't let us keep you.” Said Kagome as she looked over at the older woman fondly.
 
“Nonsense child! These old bones were curious about the banging and clanging in the village square. Old Taka-sama seems to be sparing no expense for his only daughter's wedding. Kagome, this might be a small village…but you'll see, when a man's honor is involved, things get done on a large scale.”
 
“Honor? What do you mean by that Kaede-sama?” asked a curious Miroku.
 
“Ah…well, it appears that Taka-sama wagered his daughter in a bet made under the influence of too much sake...and lost.” Replied the older woman.
 
“What?!” came everyone's collective gasps of astonishment. While they had been invited to attend the wedding, the group had no idea about the events that had led up to it. After all, they normally spent most of their time away from the village, trying to get leads on Naraku, trying to beat the evil hanyou to the few remaining shards. Naraku had gone into hiding again…that was the only reason the group had agreed to attend the wedding…had agreed to stay in the village.
 
“Yes, it all started when…” Kaede began in a soft voice as she settled herself in a more comfortable position on a floor cushion.
 
Miroku, Sango, and even Shippo were so engrossed in Kaede's tale that they didn't notice Kagome quietly slip away from the hut to take a walk. Only Kirara, who had been basking in the dwindling sunlight outside of the hut took note of the girl's departure. The neko youkai uncurled her form slowly to arch and stretch her back before daintily following the young miko's footsteps.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 
Kagome sighed absentmindedly as she left the village outskirts, and its sounds of festive commotion, her feet leading her in the direction of the Goshinboku. Life in a small community revolved around gossip and even Kaede, the wise miko, was not immune to spreading tales of her neighbors' affairs. While Kaede's account was sure to be entertaining, Kagome didn't think she could stomach it today. She could accept many of the differences between the modern era and Feudal Japan, but it was hard for Kagome not to feel saddened by the way marriages were arranged during this time. Financial and social benefits were the usual reason to make a family alliance and love was a rarity. Besides, Kagome couldn't help but feel preoccupied. Her conversation with Eri was replaying in her mind, and Kagome found herself analyzing her friend's words and reactions.
 
The initial feeling of happiness at unburdening herself to her childhood friend was now dissipating into…a strange sadness. The girls had yelled at one another, cried, and laughed together…but had anything really changed? At first, Kagome had felt as if she was re-establishing a bond that she hadn't even realized had become weakened. But the stress of having to hold back from telling Eri the whole unvarnished truth about her life, the guilt that came with telling white-lies, were a sobering reality check. And then there was Eri's calm acceptance.
 
Kagome frowned as she tucked her skirt underneath and took a seat at the God Tree's base.
 
“How was I expecting Eri to react to what I said?
 
“Am I bothered because she seemed to believe me so easily? Didn't question me?
 
“Or, is it something else?”
 
Kagome shifted to lie down in the soft grass. The lingering heat of the day combined with the fatigue that always accompanied a good cry made Kagome's eyes feel heavy. Kirara was busy chasing a butterfly in the meadow and the birds were starting their tribute to the setting sun. The day seemed so peaceful and calm - a huge contrast to the thoughts that swirled inside Kagome's head like a tornado.
 
`Love.'
 
`Does love ever work out for anyone? Here I am, pining away for Inuyasha, who wants Kikyou. Then there's Eri who wants to be with Houjo…but according to her, he likes me. And let's not forget Kouga... Kami, what a mess this is!'
 
But Kagome by nature was not a melancholy girl, and her natural optimism, her inherent desire to help others soon manifested itself.
 
`Focus, Kagome…focus. You know you can try to make things better with Eri... make things feel more normal. Houjo…you just need to figure out how to get Houjo to notice her…'
 
She couldn't help but giggle at the thought of Eri and Houjo becoming a couple. In truth, while Houjo was attractive and pleasant…he just didn't interest Kagome. On the surface, she knew he would be a wonderful person to be in a relationship with - he was a decent boy from a respectable family. But Kagome didn't feel drawn to him, curious about him. In fact, Houjo's presence had quite the opposite effect on her. Eri's words came back to her and Kagome instantly sobered.
 
“I know that you think Houjo-kun is…kind of dull. But I swear, it's like he changes when you come around - he's usually not like that - it's like he becomes a different person!...”
 
What did Kagome really know about Houjo anyway? Maybe there was more to the boy than appeared on the surface? Or was love just blind, causing Eri to idealize the object of her affection? Kagome did not know, but it was obvious that Eri certainly saw something… something special about Houjo, and that's all that really mattered in the end.
 
`Just like you think the sun rises and sets on Inuyasha!' Kagome's conscience reminded her.
 
Inuyasha.
 
Kagome had actually admitted her feelings about Inuyasha to another person! Her cheeks flushed at the thought. Her words now had power. By saying them out loud, by giving voice to the sentiment, Kagome had freed her heart for a moment only to bind it even tighter. Kagome's feelings were real now. She could no longer try to minimize them…could no longer pretend that they were less. That she wanted less. Kagome wanted his golden gaze to see only her. She wanted his strength to always shield her. She wanted his love. She wanted….she wanted…Inuyasha.
 
It was this last thought that followed Kagome as drowsiness overtook her. `Just going to close my eyes for a minute…'
 
>>>>
“Come on, bitch! We've got shards to find.”
 
Kagome turned to face Inuyasha, only to be presented with his back as he crouched down in front of her. She quickly climbed on to her usual position - hands at his shoulders, her knees up by his waist - acquiescing to his silent demand. His silver hair gleamed in the sunlight as she placed her cheek against the silky mass. Surreptitiously, Kagome inhaled deeply. She loved his scent…it was so warm…so clean…just like a pine forest on a sunny day. Kagome settled herself against his back, feeling protected and secure. As always… same old, same old.
 
They began to move at Inuyasha's heart stopping pace and Kagome gasped. This was not normal! One of Inuyasha's hands had left its usual, neutral spot at the underside of her knee to travel farther up her thigh.
 
Kagome bit her lip as she felt a strange fluttery sensation in the pit of her stomach. Did Inuyasha realize what he had just done?
 
“Inuyasha.” She gasped as she felt his claws graze the soft skin of her inner thigh. Heat shot straight through her abdomen to spread out to her extremities. Kagome's heart began pounding as she felt goose bumps break out on her skin. Inuyasha suddenly pulled and shifted the leg that he was paying such unusual attention to, so that Kagome's core was almost flush against his spine when he bent forward.
 
His clawed hand moved a bit higher, gently stroking her flesh in its ascent. “Inuyasha” she moaned as her fingers twisted and tightened in his haori. These sensations…how she feared them…how she longed for more…
 
They were no longer moving but Inuyasha still held her on his back. When had they stopped? Kagome hadn't noticed…she couldn't notice anything except for the exquisite tingling in her nerves as Inuyasha's hand kept up its constant movement on her sensitive skin.
 
“Inuyasha?”
 
Kagome was surprised to hear the trembling in her voice… Inuyasha had yet to let go of her, in fact, he had yet to turn his head to look at her…or to say anything to her. And suddenly, Kagome needed that more than anything in the world…she needed to see him…wanted to see his face.
 
“Kagome?”
 
Something was wrong…that didn't sound like Inuyasha's voice. The pleasurable sensations in her body faded away as Kagome's panic and confusion grew. The voice. It wasn't Inuyasha's usual low pitched timbre…it had a higher quality that sounded familiar…
 
“Kagome?”
 
This time the voice was louder and more recognizable. Inuyasha sounded just like… Sango?!
>>>>
 
Kagome's eyes shot open in bewilderment only to look into the amused face of the female tajiya.
 
“Kagome-chan, I know that I can be aggressive at times but I really didn't think you would confuse me with that baka hanyou!” the older girl said with a mischievous smile.
 
Kagome groaned as her face flushed in embarrassment - just what had she been saying in her sleep?
 
“Don't worry, Kagome-chan…other than calling out for Inuyasha, I didn't hear anything else.” Sango laughed. “Were you about to sit him in your dreams?”
 
Kagome didn't think her face could feel any hotter or become any redder than it was at the moment. She had dreamt about Inuyasha before…but never had the experience been so intense…so strangely physical. Even now, her skin still tingled as if remembering his phantom touches. And Kagome was mortified to feel an aching wetness between her legs…
 
`Thank God, Inuyasha is not here. He could probably smell this…'
 
“Kagome-chan, all teasing aside for now...I promise! I've spent a good amount of time looking for you already. When I said you should rest, I didn't imagine you'd come all the way out here to do so! Kaede-baachan wants to help you get ready for the ceremony since the sun has almost set.” Sango smiled as she pulled the younger girl to her feet and started off towards Kaede's hut with Kagome in tow.
 
A suddenly panicked Kagome cried out, “Sango-chan! Do you think I have time to run home? Because I forgot about the wedding, I left the kimono I was going to wear back in my time.”
 
“Kagome-chan, I really don't think you have to worry about that. I think Kaede-baachan has something specifically for you. Please, let's hurry.” Replied Sango as she picked up her pace, an enigmatic smile on her face.
 
Kagome's heart sank at Sango's response. Whenever possible, Kagome preferred wearing her school uniform - actually, any of the clothes from her time - over the kimono that was the standard garb in the Feudal Era. She was well aware that her clothing made her stand out, marked her as being different. But that was a small price to pay…it was Kagome's way of reminding herself that she really did belong to a different time. Kagome had another reason - one that was closer to her heart - it was also her attempt to distinguish herself from Kikyou, the miko she had been told she resembled, on more than one occasion. The few times that Kagome had been forced to wear more traditional clothing…it had broken her heart to see Inuyasha's reaction. Kagome was never sure if he was seeing her…or the image of Kikyou. While she couldn't do anything about her features, Kagome resolved to never consciously play up her similarity to the dead miko by adopting the clothing of the Feudal Era. It was a small act of rebellion on Kagome's part…a small way of staking her claim to individuality. Kagome fell silent as a stomach churning thought crossed her mind, `God, I couldn't bear it if Kaede-baachan asked me to wear Kikyou's priestess outfit.'
 
In no time at all, Kagome found herself in Kaede's hut, being fussed over by the older miko and Sango.
 
“Demo, Kaede-baachan, I forgot my kimono…” Kagome began quietly.
 
“Not to worry child! I have something I think ye will be most pleased to wear.” Kaede replied cheerfully.
 
The old miko moved slowly over to a wooden chest that stood in a corner of the hut and rummaged around in the contents before pulling out a brightly wrapped, large parcel and placing it in Kagome's lap.
 
Kagome looked up at Sango and Kaede with a confused expression, “What is this?”
 
“Kagome-chan, open it and you'll see.” Sango replied, excitement evident in her voice.
 
Puzzled by her friends' eager expressions, Kagome turned her attention to the package. Delicate rice paper held in place by a white, silk ribbon shielded the contents from her view. Slowly undoing the ribbon, Kagome gasped as she pulled the rice paper away.
 
In her hands she held a beautiful kimono - it was a vivid aqua color made of the softest silk Kagome had ever had the pleasure to touch. `Reminds me of Inuyasha's hair.' She thought wistfully before pushing thoughts of him out of her head. The sleeves were long and flowing, as befitted the furisode style for a young, unmarried woman. But it was the rich, intricate embroidery and brocade that caught Kagome's eye. The artistry, the talent that had gone into making this kimono was incredible. Sakura blossoms and cranes seem to fly across the expanse of aqua silk thanks to the detailed stitching upon the sleeves, hem, and back of the kimono. The beautiful garment was like nothing Kagome had ever seen in her time - it was certainly no mass produced item, put together by a machine according to a template. No, this was absolutely unique…one of a kind. In the modern era, a kimono like this would belong in a museum or in some wealthy collector's possession. With trembling fingers, Kagome reached out to trace a sakura blossom. A faint, woodsy scent wafted up from the material, teasing her nose.
 
“Who does this belong to?” Kagome whispered softly, still in awe of the beautiful garment sitting in her lap.
 
“Child, why, it belongs to ye.” Replied Kaede in a merry voice as she and Sango exchanged amused glances at Kagome's behavior.
 
Kagome's head snapped up quickly, “Nani?! Are you serious? How can this be mine?”
 
A thought sudden occurred to her, almost entirely extinguishing the excitement that had been shining in her eyes, “Kaede-baachan…did this…was this Kikyou's kimono?”
 
“Kami-sama, no!” cried Kaede, “Child, I do not lie to ye. The kimono belongs to ye alone. Inuyasha was the one who had it made for ye.”
 
“Inuyasha?” whispered Kagome as she clutched the kimono to her chest. “But how…why?”
 
“I think he must have been paying attention to us talking about what to wear for the spring festival that's coming up, Kagome-chan.” Sango replied.
 
“But, Sango-chan…that was weeks ago! I don't remember either of us talking about the festival recently.” Kagome said slowly as her brow furrowed in thought.
 
“Ah, but that makes sense child, ne? A kimono - especially one such as this - is not assembled so quickly. The hanyou must have commissioned it soon after hearing ye speak with Sango, but I can not be certain of this. I can tell ye that a few days ago, Inuyasha appeared with the package and asked me to give it to ye for the festival. Of course, I made him tell me what I was storing. After all, these bones are too old for nasty tricks. Imagine my surprise…” Kaede chuckled, “And imagine the boy's embarrassment at having to explain himself to me.”
 
Kagome ducked her head slightly so that the other two women could not see the moisture that threatened to gather in her eyes. `For me? Inuyasha had the kimono made for me?'
 
Sango and Kaede continued to talk amongst themselves as they gathered the items necessary to help the young girl get ready while Kagome sank deeper into her own thoughts. The logical part of Kagome's mind was consumed by a desire for details - How did Inuyasha know anything about women's kimonos? How had he paid for it? How did he know her measurements? But another part of her…a much louder part of her longed to know what Inuyasha had been thinking. Why had he bothered to do this for her?
 
Kagome did not question Inuyasha's generosity - she knew it was there despite his gruff exterior and surly manners. It was Inuyasha's large heart that allowed him to first forgive Miroku for kidnapping Kagome and stealing the shards, and then Sango for attempting to steal his Tetsusaiga. While he would loudly and colorfully disagree with her opinion, Kagome knew that Inuyasha was capable of deep feelings and selflessness. It was obvious in the way he risked his life for his companions or his actions with regards to Kikyou…
 
But this…this was something Kagome had not expected. The hanyou was not one to place importance upon material possessions - other than his Tetsusaiga, that is. For him to give her a gift was unusual. For it to be a kimono, something so personal, made it that much more extraordinary. And to think that Inuyasha had it made for her, boggled Kagome's mind.
 
Kagome's thoughts were interrupted when Sango knelt beside her and gently took the kimono from the miko's hands, “Kagome-chan, let us help you get ready. I'm sure Inuyasha would be pleased if you wore the kimono for the wedding instead of waiting for the festival. It is yours after all.”
 
The younger girl looked up and nodded as her dazed expression slowly turned into one of girlish bliss. Kagome couldn't help the warmth that blossomed in her heart at the thought of Inuyasha taking the time to do something special for her. She couldn't suppress the joy that bubbled inside of her with the knowledge that she would soon be wearing his gift for the village to see.
 
Kagome's happiness combined with Sango and Kaede's excitement over the wedding left the three feeling lighthearted and cheery. At this moment, there were no shards to collect and Naraku did not exist. There were only three women of varying ages and backgrounds laughing, gossiping, preening and primping as they prepared for the night's festivities.
 
Whatever Inuyasha's intentions had been, whatever the rest of the night had in store for her, Kagome was sure nothing could make her forget this moment. `Maybe it's crazy…but I just know that I'll see Inuyasha tonight.' She thought with great certainty, the smile on her face growing wider in anticipation.
 
+++++++++++++++
 
I love seeing authors respond to my reviews so I thought I'd do the same for those of you who took the time to leave me a comment. Y'know, encouraging good karma and all…
 
libraflyter  - As you said, lots of emotional ground was brought up…and for a little while, I think the characters will have to be processing all of it. Hope you think the beginning of the aftermath makes sense..
 
ShadowStar666, Kagome0820, FayeMegan, Chio, Sesshomaru_sweetie, w_j, myanime - Thanks for your nice comments! I'm glad you like the story so far. I hope that Ch 2 won't disappoint…it'll be a bit slow for a bit, since I think there's a lot that Inu and Kag need to come to terms with. Hope you'll stick with it!
 
angelica incarnate - Good grief, I have to thank Sueric for sending you my way! I know I've already told you this…but I love to hear what works and doesn't work with my writing, since I'm relatively new to the fanfic thing. I hope you think the characters continue to be realistic…I'm trying very hard to stay in character…with some obvious artistic license exceptions!
 
DarklessVasion After reading so many fanfics that have me practically screaming at my computer “just tell him” or “just tell her”…I thought I'd play with the idea of what would happen if Inu found out about Kag's feelings in one fell swoop. How would he deal with it? Inu still has more to do while he's away from the village…it's really going to be one very busy day for the couple!
 
INU-KAGLOVER - Thank you! I'm having fun imagining what would happen between Inu-Kag in this situation. I mean, we all know what we *want* to have happen…but how will they get there?
 
RabidFangirl101 - I'm glad that you found Eri's conversation with Kagome interesting. I've always wondered about Kagome's friendships in her time and I definitely want to explore more of that. As for poor Inu, he's a little shell-shocked and probably will be for a while…
 
Evangelion842 - Thanks for your comments! Your point about Eri's reaction is a good one…and I'm planning to explore it a little further. Friendships in general (but especially between girls) can be very interesting…there's an intensity that comes with sharing your feelings…and there's a distance that can develop over time as people grow and change. It's definitely an area that I want to include more in the story.
 
Raina1  - You and a few others got me on turning Inuyasha into a total “f-bomb” dropper in Ch 1! I think I was feeling overly aggressive when I wrote that bit and it has since been corrected. Thanks for your comments. I hope you continue to read…as for direction, I have a definite idea in mind of what I want to have happen…but Inu and Kag seem to be taking their time processing everything right now!
 
Dark Angel Of Love - Hehe…ok, you also caught me turning Inuyasha into a total potty mouth! Mea culpa! But I fixed him…er…his cursing problem at least! It will be interesting to see what happens with Houjo and the girls in the Modern Era, ne?
 
Trusuprise - Thanks girly! I've turned poor Inu-chan into a gang…er…acting troop member! Poor hanyou! Won't let him be who he is…well, it's for his own good, since I don't want scientists to get hold of him in the modern era or for Kagome's sanity to be questioned. I can't thank you enough for your edits and comments! You always seem to get what I'm trying to say…
 
draechaeli - Yippee, I have the honor of being your first reviewee (umm does that make sense?) Yep, we'll get to see what happens with good ol' Houjo…and see which girl he gets in the end. I'm glad that Inu heard what Kagome had to say too - now, we have to see what he does! I hope you think that Inuyasha's behavior is still consistent with his character. I know what I want him to do…I'm pretty sure I know what Kagome wants him to do….but I want to make sure I write something that makes sense for him, given what me know from cannon.
 
 
blackberry - Again, you caught me on turning Inuyasha into an f-bomb machine! I tried to be more conscious about it with this chapter and didn't think it was a problem. I'm convinced I was just in a weird mood when I initially wrote Ch 1. Ahh…Takahashi just adores love triangles…and I had to contribute my bit. We'll seen how long I can sustain it though. I can only stand unrequited love for so long….
 
Zonza - You're very sweet and enthusiastic! I'm glad you didn't think that Ch 1 was corny. Now you may think that about Ch 2…so please do let me know. I tried hard, so hard to stay in what I thought was character for everyone…but, we all have our failings. I hope you'll let me know what you think!
 
ErehwonDreamer3013 - I'm glad you like it so far…as for what Inuyasha is going to do…first it's a lot of thinking! And of course, a lot of that is going to be about Kikyou…but as for what he's going to do…good question! Well, first there's this kid who seems to be crying….