InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ West Under Winter Siege ❯ Chapter 2

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Chapter Two: A Taiyoukai in Need

Diclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha, he belongs to Rumiko Takahashi.

XxxX

Kagome patiently waited for an answer, eyes focused on her lap. Her hands clenched as she grew uncomfortable as the silence wore on, feeling everyone’s eyes on her. Finally, he looked up, and saw that Sesshoumaru and turned to look at Kaede. Their eyes spoke unheard messages and the elder miko nodded once.
“Kagome.”
“Hai, Sesshou-kun?”
“This Sesshoumaru is not one to ask for help often, but even I know when I am in over my head.” He paused as she nodded respectfully, “The Western Lands are in great trouble. Summer has gone and instead of autumn‘s arrival, winter has come.”
“With all due respect, Sesshoumaru, but such an occurrence is not unnatural.”
“Hai, it is true that this is not uncommon, but that is not the problem. While all three of the other lands have just begun autumn, the Western Lands are in the middle of a fierce, raging winter. This Sesshoumaru has never before seen such weather. Both I and Kaede-san believe that a spell has been cast on my lands.”
“A spell? But why?”
“This Sesshoumaru does not know. But my people have suffered enough. My soldiers and I have spent the last two weeks melting and unburying villages. Tenseiga has saved countless lives.” At this, Kagome’s aura flared.
“Who would do such a thing?!”
“This Sesshoumaru has many enemies, Kagome.”
“Hai, I know. But what can I do to help?”
“I‘ll need your healing powers, as well as your other miko abilities. I‘ll be needing you to accompany me on my daily patrol, especially when we enter human villages. Furthermore, you are rather intelligent. Perhaps you could assist myself in figuring out who is behind this.” The miko blushed slightly but responded fervently.
“Of course! I‘ll do the best I can. But what of everyone else?” She asked, gesturing to the other people who sat round the hearth.
“They shall accompany us as well. They had already decided before you arrived, we just awaited your decision.”
“I see. When do we leave?”
“Tomorrow morning.”
“Why not now?” The question startled the Taiyoukai.
“It is much too cold to travel at night.”
“Alright Sesshou-kun.” He chuckled at her child-like behavior; the way she pouted and rolled her eyes. Miroku and Sango began to make preparations for tomorrow morning while Kagome and Kaede started dinner, discussing weather-proof talismans while doing so.
The Inu brothers moved to sit in a corner together. A month before the final battle, Sesshoumaru had come to propose an alliance. He patched things up between him and his brother and had befriended Inuyasha’s makeshift pack. He and Sesshoumaru had grown close again, and relied and trusted one another.
“Aniki,” Inuyasha called out softly, reminding Sesshoumaru of when he was a pup.
“Hai?”
“What am I. . .what am I going to do with the jewel? Kagome said she‘ll give it to me when I decide what to wish for.”
“I thought you wanted to be a full-blooded Youkai, Inuyasha? Or have you changed your mind, little brother?”
“I don’t want to be that anymore. As a full-fledged demon, I would be nothing but a mindless killer.”
“Then what do you want, otouto?”
“I I don’t know.”
“What about the undead miko?”
“Kikyo? I don’t know. I know that she is not the same Kikyo I once knew, even if she has given up on dragging me to hell with her and befriended Kagome.”
“What about Kagome? Were you two not in love?” The Hanyou blushed, but shook his head.
“No, Aniki. She loved me once, but I was still blinded by Kikyo. She moved on and got over me, because I had never returned her love. We are more brother and sister than anything else now.”
“I see.”
“Feh. Don’t try to hide it Sesshou. I know you like her.”
“This Sesshoumaru has no idea what you are talking about.” He turned his head to hide the faint coloring in his cheeks.
“Ooh Aniki, are you blushing??” At this, Inuyasha began to laugh, drawing odd looks from the room’s other occupants. Kagome woke Shippo and called everyone to eat. The poor kit was still yawning when she handed his bowl of food to him.
“And why have you been so tired lately, little one?” She giggled at his drowsy smile.
“Inuyasha‘s been training me while you train, ‘Kaasan!” He said proudly.
“Oh really now?” Kagome arched a brow at Inuyasha.
“Yep. The pup‘s gotten a hell of a lot stronger.” Inuyasha smiled as Shippo puffed out his chest and proceeded to tell his mother about all his achievements. Once the meal was over and Shippo was tucked in and back asleep, the adults gathered round the fire and made plans. Sesshoumaru announced that they would be staying at the castle. Inuyasha agreed and proceeded to make plans for each daily patrol. When the plans were settled, Kagome spoke up.
“Kaede-baa-Chan, will you be joining us?”
“Ne, child. These old bones will be of no use in the cold.” Kagome nodded.
“Hai. Then be sure to take care while we are gone.”
“And so should ye, child. And all of ye as well.”
“Sesshoumaru-sama, may I ask if we stop by another village to pick up winter clothes before we reach the Western lands?” Sango asked, petting Kirara.
“Ah, this Sesshoumaru has almost forgotten. I have had winter attire made for all of you, but it is at the castle. Just make do with what you have for now until we reach the palace.” Everyone nodded quietly.
“Ye should rest now, tomorrow will be a big day,” Kaede suggested. “I bid thee all a good night,” she said, hobbling off to her own room as everyone settled in for the night.