InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ What am I? ❯ The Secret ( Chapter 9 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Miroku felt numb. Rape.

That’s exactly what she was acting like. Like when he had came across village women who had been raped by bandits and youkai.

His feet wouldn’t hold him up, Miroku slumped against a tree and slid down onto his backside. Completely numb, and nothing but a single word crept into his head. Rape.

“Houshi-sama?” A nervous male voice broke into his awareness not even two feet away.

The Village headman.

Miroku’s response was instantaneous. Within a second, Miroku was up and swinging the poor man’s back against the tree stump by his collar. “What did you do?” Miroku was surprised at his own voice, it was rough, low, and enraged. It was a good surprise. “Do you realize the severity of your selfish actions?” When the old man didn’t respond Miroku slammed him again. “I should kill you where you stand.” They were harsh words that he growled out to the already trembling man, but Miroku was beyond caring. This was the spineless idiot who had enabled everything.

For a second Miroku understood Inuyasha; anger was easier to deal with than pain. Much easier.

The old man started sobbing underneath Miroku’s hold. Miroku wondered how this pathetic man came to secure the spot as village headman. Probably just a figurehead, Miroku snorted internally.

“I’m sorry- he promised no one would be hurt! Please! My village is to receive much needed payment for our service! Please! Don’t hurt me!” The man blubbered at the half-listening Miroku.

Miroku wanted to stay mad, he really did. But years of training kicked in and he couldn’t keep pulling an Inuyasha. The man was just too pathetic. This man wasn’t the one to get angry with.

Though he was thinking that, he did slam the old man into the tree once more before releasing him. It made him feel a little better.

“Where’s Osamu?” The tension didn’t leave Miroku’s voice as he remembered the slimy, smooth-talking man from the night before. Just saying that man’s name left a bitter taste in his mouth.

“He disappeared… this morning…” The old man wheezed, trying to catch his breath back from the pain that stole it.

“How predictable.” Miroku murmured angrily to himself before turning, fists clenched, reopening the little crescent scabs on his palms from that morning. This man was of no more use. Walking away, he had no idea where to go. He and his friends weren’t ready to leave this traitorous village. Another tree was in order, as Miroku still didn’t feel up to par. Walking on the outskirts of the village, he wondered where Sango was. Not that he had any inclination to see her right at the moment.

What he needed was to speak with Inuyasha of the situation, though he was wary of it. While Inuyasha was being surprisingly understanding about it all, he didn’t want to push his luck. Inuyasha was ready to blow, knowing the nature of the situation. Miroku knew that Inuyasha was upset, and upset was a mild term for it, over the way Kagome was involved. Though Miroku couldn’t help but wonder if Inuyasha was just as upset for him in some way, because after all, Miroku had technically been used too.

Hey, when I put it that way, it doesn’t sound so bad. Miroku’s diplomatic side helped out. No amount of ‘What ifs’ would be able to undo the situation. None. So there was no point harping on it, was there?

Miroku sighed, even though going over it in his head wouldn’t help, he still felt horrible about it. He still saw Kagome’s face in his head, her expression when he pulled himself out of her. Another wave of anguish washed over him. Perhaps envisioning that would not be the best course of action for my mental state, Miroku thought dryly.

“Miroku!” His name sounded out of nowhere, but Miroku would know that voice anywhere. Shippou.

Miroku inwardly groaned and turned to the kit, “Yes Shippou?”

“You really need to go see Sango.” Shippou stated with an air of importance.

“Why?” Miroku asked trying to sound genuinely worried. Though the last thing he really wanted was to see any of his friends. He wanted to be alone.

“She’s really tired,” Shippou started speedily, “Go tell her you’re okay so that she can sleep, then maybe I can sleep now!”

There it was, Shippou was still tired. He just wanted a warm pillow to sleep on, and Kagome was unavailable.

Though it couldn’t hurt to tell her he was okay, besides, Shippou probably wouldn’t leave him alone until he did.

“Alright,” Miroku said, resigned. “Where is she?”

Shippou’s eyes brightened, and turned to lead Miroku, who was carefully keeping his mind blank, to Sango.

He hadn’t realized how close Sango was. Just around the other hut on the edge of the village, pacing with Kirara’s eyes focused on her form.

Miroku took a deep breath, “Sango?”

Sango gave a little jump and turned, “Miroku?”

Miroku gave a little smile and he felt Shippou crawl to his shoulder, “Why aren‘t you sleeping?”

Sango, ignoring the question, quickly moved over to him. “Are you alright? It‘s too soon for you to be out and moving! Why did you leave the hut? We need to-”

“No.” He said a little harshly before he could stop himself, then sighed. “I’ll be fine, besides, Kagome and Inuyasha are in that hut.” He felt a pang of jealousy. He knew it was jealousy, though he quickly reprimanded himself for it. He had no right to her.

“Oh,” Sango said disappointedly. Then, “Ohhh…” As she caught on, Inuyasha and Kagome were alone. That made him want to scowl.

“Get some sleep Sango.” Miroku prodded her, quickly redirecting the subject before Sango could latch onto it.

“Are you okay?” Sango asked again.

I don’t deserve her attention, Miroku thought. “Yes Sango, I’m fine.”

Kirara mewled and transformed, then lay down in invitation to Sango. Sango looked from Kirara to Miroku and yawned. “As long as you’re okay…”

“Yes, now sleep.” Miroku said once again, more gently this time and Shippou yelped with glee when he moved to go after her. It hurt, not being able to tell her.

Sango nodded, and Miroku knew that it would hurt more if she knew.

It’s better this way, he told himself, nobody else has to know.

He wished he believed himself.