InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ What am I? ❯ The Revelation ( Chapter 10 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Miroku had moved away from where Sango slept while rubbing his sore face, and found a tree to rest against near the hut where Kagome and Inuyasha were in. The hut with two holes. It wasn’t that he felt tired, though in all aspects he should be, it was that his body felt weak. After affects? Probably.

He needed to talk to Inuyasha. Alone. To apologize. Even if he didn’t need to apologize, he wanted to. Even if it wasn’t his fault, he balked at the idea of losing his hanyou friend. He needed to apologize to Kagome, though he didn’t want to face her either.

The talk earlier had lowered his anxiety about facing the entire group, but he knew the tension would be high in the group.

He lowered his head even further. All in one night he’d successfully alienated himself from his whole group. Sango… he would have to act like nothing was wrong. But could he actually do it? Sango was not a fool, which was one of the reasons he was drawn to her, but that made it incredibly hard to act. She would notice something. Especially since he couldn’t predict how Kagome would act.

He knew Kagome could act in desperate situations, but this wasn’t life threatening, and Sango was her friend. Kagome might even go home for a while. Forget the might, she would go home to get herself together. Then when she came back, Sango would think she was acting weird due to something that happened in her own time. That would be better.

He didn’t want her to go back, but perhaps there were things that could help here there. Her family would be able to help her with something. Deal with the consequences. The consequences…

The realization hit him so hard, he couldn’t breathe and he swore that his heart refused to beat for several moments. He didn’t even want to acknowledge the possibility. Not to Kagome, not with a man she didn’t even love. Not pure, sweet Kagome. No matter who it involved, no matter who tried, one fact, bred of primitive knowledge, could change the purpose of sex.

There was a chance Kagome could end up being pregnant.

With his baby.

The possibility absolutely floored him, he didn’t think he could move even if he wanted to. It couldn’t happen. It would not happen, he had the damn wind tunnel, and he couldn’t allow a child to go fatherless. He had already planned on having his children with Sango. They had talked about it. She had accepted! Kagome had not. Kagome had said many times that most women in her era waited for children, and that she planned on it too.

It would be his fault, he would ruin her life.

His staff slipped from it’s position and clanked to the ground. He put his head in his hands. How could he stay here and pretend everything was okay?

-----

Inuyasha stepped from the hut after making sure Kagome was sleeping comfortably. He felt better, not great, but better. In trying to make Kagome feel better, he actually made himself feel better.

Until he saw Miroku.

The Monk was hunched over with his head in his hands, and his staff was lying carelessly on the ground. He had never seen him like this, Miroku was always so composed. Inuyasha couldn’t even imagine the turmoil going through his head. Though the urge to comfort the monk was almost nonexistent, but Kagome’s words came back to him.

“Don’t blame him either… just try to imagine… how you would feel, if it was you and Sango that had been tricked… I know you’re mad… but…”

Then she had started crying again. Oh how he hated her damn crying, it made him so uncomfortable.

He really had tried to picture the situation if it was reversed. He would feel horrible and want to kill Naraku. He would also be scared to lose his friends, but surely Miroku wouldn’t actually be worried about losing him as a friend. No one ever thought of a hanyou too highly.

Inuyasha walked over and plopped himself beside the monk, facing away from him of course.

“If it ain’t her fault, it isn’t yours either. She understands that.” He said gruffly, being the level-headed one was actually pissing him off. Being mad was easier than being anything else.

“I know but...” Miroku spoke slowly, weighing his words carefully. “I can‘t help feel that it was I who ruined everything.”

“Monk, if you fucking apologize one more time I’m gonna give you more bruises to worry about.” Inuyasha folded his hands across his chest into the sleeves of his haori.

“Then,” Miroku swallowed, “We need to discuss a few other important things.” Miroku readied himself, then chickened out with a safer topic. “Naraku. He was behind this?”

“Damn right he was.” Inuyasha growled out, looking slightly better off with this subject.

“Inuyasha, have you thought about what will happen now?” The undertones in Miroku’s voice urging Inuyasha to understand what he was thinking without actually having to say it.

“Easy, we kill Naraku.” Inuyasha snorted, but turned around despite the flippancy of his words.

Miroku knew that Inuyasha caught the tone of his voice. He was staring so intently that it was almost disconcerting.

“There’s something else.” Inuyasha stated flatly.

“There are other possible consequences that have not been realized.” Miroku said quietly, his eyes still begging Inuyasha to come up with it himself. Of course there was no such luck.

“What are you getting at?” Inuyasha narrowed his eyes and Miroku knew that he would have to breech the subject sooner or later before Inuyasha became too infuriated because he couldn’t understand.

“I wish to ensure that no physical harm will come to me.” Miroku stalled.

“If you’re gonna say something to piss me off, then you better not open your mouth.” Inuyasha’s voice was gruff, but his look was one of curiosity. After a moment of silence, Inuyasha caved. “Alright Monk, tell me.”

Can’t you figure it out? Miroku begged toward Inuyasha silently. “I hope my worries are unfounded.”

“You worried about Sango? She doesn’t know anything.” Inuyasha said.

“That’s not it Inuyasha,” Miroku fumbled quickly, “There is one thing that I cannot remove from my head, and I would feel-”

“Damnit!” Inuyasha all but shouted. “Just fucking tell me and stop playing with your pretty words!”

Miroku was slightly taken aback, but knew his friend was right. “Alright.” He said as he took a breath. “What if she becomes with child?”

Miroku flinched as he said it, expecting a punch, shove, kick, or something. Instead he was staring at a slightly wide-eyed Inuyasha, who had a far-away expression on his face. Which did not bode well. Inuyasha was already seemingly overloaded with this whole situation, it was only a matter of time until he could no longer keep it in. That would be an explosion that Miroku did not want to be around for.

Miroku flinched again when Inuyasha finally blinked, and slowly started scooting away when Inuyasha let out a string of curses as powerful as the Tetsusiaga.

Inuyasha noticed Miroku’s squirming and his golden eyes snapped to him, causing Miroku’s movements to die down. “If Kagome wakes up, tell her I’ll be back by sundown.” With that, Inuyasha was off at a dead sprint.

Miroku was stunned. Where did he think he was going? He had better be back by sundown, that ‘lord’ was supposedly returning tomorrow. He had a hunch about that so called ‘lord.’ His hunch was spelled N-A-R-A-K-U, and he was damn sure he spelled it right.

Miroku settled against his tree, then wondered if it would be better if Kagome woke up by herself or with him in the same hut? The tree wasn’t entirely comfortable, and there was extra bedding in the hut. Comfortable, warm bedding that didn’t have anybody sleeping in it at the moment. He would just set up across the hut from Kagome, leading to no suspicions.

Besides, after he woke up, he needed to talk to her.