InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ What Matters the Most ❯ Finer Points ( Chapter 33 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

A\N: Well I’m tired right now and don’t have a lot to say, so...

-Ketsurui Koneko - Well you don’t have to wait any longer, cause here it is! ^_^

-Sanjuno - Lol, yep, Naraku’s just going to disappear for a while... lull them into a false sense of security... I do it all the time. ^_^

-Crazy-Inuyasha-Girl - ^_^ I’m glad you’re enjoying it so much! ^_^

-AnimeRainChildOfLove - Lol, yep, this chapters a bit more focused on Rin to the rescue though. ^_^ Still, hope you enjoy it. ^_^   ~*~   Finer Points

‘Inuyasha?’

The tentative voice reached the half-demon’s ears, and he frowned and slowly cracked open his eyes.

Apparently the meal hadn’t ended while he had been curled up in the corner the way he had so wanted it to, and everybody but Rin was still sitting at the table, eating.

His frown deepened as he looked up at the girl in confusion.

‘Yeah, what?’ He asked rather sharply. Rin seemed completely unaffected by this, staring down at him, her large eyes dark and soft.

‘I was wondering if you might walk with me out in the gardens for a little bit.’ She said softly. ‘I’d like to talk with you some more.’

Inuyasha frowned at her, not really feeling much in the mood to move let along talk, but, after casting another glance at the table and the occupants there, decided it would be better than sitting around here.

It might be nice to have her company for a little bit.

Besides, he could use the fresh air.

Pushing himself to his feet, Inuyasha wordlessly allowed Rin to lead him outside, feeling the power of his brother’s gaze upon them the entire time, right up until the great oaken door slid shut behind them, effectively cutting it off.

He was unconcerned about this.

The moment his feet connected with the ground he could practically feel the air about him shift-- the wind rising up to gently tickle his flesh and blow leaves about him, lifting his hair as if greeting him after his long absence.

Inuyasha could not help but pause, breathing deeply of the fresh air and letting his eyes drift closed.

He didn’t even realise that he had begun moving again until he felt the rough pattern of bark brushing against his arm, and he opened his eyes to see that he had wandered into the very edge of the forest. And he wasn’t scared the way he had thought he might be after his dark encounter here. In fact, he actually felt slightly... relieved.

And he could hear the tree’s sigh and creak in welcome.

He glanced over at Rin, who had an expression of contentment on her face mirroring everything that he felt, before giving a small lopsided smile to no one in particular and glancing around at the trees that were already beginning to loose their leaves.

It was good to be home.

He and Rin continued walking (though they moved a little further away from the forest now) until they came to stand on the cliff he and Sesshomaru had stood on that fateful night when they finally became mates.

Funny, it seemed so long ago now...

It was here that Inuyasha finally came to a stop, the wind rising up from the ravine, carrying with it once again the faint mist from the unseen waterfall crashing down nearby.

‘So.’ He said slowly, not bothering to look at Rin, turning his gaze instead toward the sun which, as it always seemed to be when he came here, was setting over the wide expanse of trees on the other side of the ravine, indicating that the meal he and Sesshomaru had shown up for must have been supper, not breakfast (though no one said anything to them about it). ‘What did you want to talk about?’ He asked. Rin just shrugged.

‘Nothing.’ She said. Inuyasha frowned, casting a sidelong glance at her.

‘Then... why’d you want to come out here?’ He asked. Rin shrugged again, the beads of her necklace rattling faintly as they clicked against one another.

‘You looked like you could use an escape. I thought I’d give you one. Besides, the fresh air could do you good.’ She added, echoing his earlier thoughts.

Inuyasha stared at her a moment, a small smile pulling at his lips. Her turned his gaze ahead, closing his eyes so the wind could place it’s gentle kisses on his eyelids, before tilting back slightly, arms lifting to either side of him as the world turned in it’s orbit, slowly lifting his feet from the ground, letting him fall back onto the soft cushion of grass, though the fall would have undoubtedly been uncomfortable for a mortal. Inuyasha felt nothing from it. Nothing but a strange sense of contentment. Rin, however, felt the exact opposite to his sudden fall.

She immediately dropped to his side, her anxiety beginning to poor off of her, greatly disturbing Inuyasha’s over-active youkai, and he cracked open an eye to peer up at her in confusion before realising something: The ningen girl was apparently under the impression that he was hurt or something like that.

Inuyasha’s eyes widened slightly at the absurdity of the idea, staring at the concerned face hovering over him, before a wide smile painted his face, and he let out a loud laugh, free and long and finally devoid of pain.

Rin blinked in surprise as the hanyou slowly quieted, stretching his arms above him and looking completely at ease.

‘I feel as if the weight of the world is off my shoulders.’ He said, sighing happily and closing his eyes, his ears drooping lazily to either side to tickle the grass blades.

And for several minutes Rin could do nothing more than stare at him, a smile of her own tugging at her lips. She had never seen him look so relaxed... so content.

It’s not like he opened up a lot... and she was surprised that she was the one he had chosen to let in and see this moment of contentment.

And she had never seen anyone nearly as fascinating.

Then again, she had never met anyone quite like him in all the wide world.

Except, maybe, for herself.

Because, as she had noted on several occasions, they were, in many ways, the same.

But, then again, at the same time, they were nothing at all alike.

They were a study in opposites. Opposites that were very similar to one another, and it caught her attention.

It was a complex and strange theory, even to Rin, and she quickly found herself pushing that thought aside in exchange for further studying Inuyasha.

Everything about the pale hanyou was beautiful, but strangely jagged at the same time, as he lay in the sun kissed grass, oblivious to the world around him.

She shifted slightly, the beads around her neck clacking again, and Rin paused, staring at Inuyasha, before grinning slightly as a sudden idea came to her.

Acting completely on this impulse (as she was wont to do, and often got into trouble for) she reached up and pulled the necklace from around her neck, wincing slightly as it caught and tugged on some of her onyx hairs, the beads clicking together.

The sound and movement caught Inuyasha’s attention, and he cracked open his eyes just in time to see the beads being dropped over his head, resting hap-hazardously on his neck and the grass behind his head.

He raised slowly up onto his elbows in confusion, giving the beads room to fall and rest properly somewhere around his collarbone, only to leave a moment later when he raised one clawed hand and lifted the dark beads and fangs, staring at them in confusion.

‘It’s a rosary.’ Rin said slowly. ‘A miko gave it to my parents for me at birth-- it’s supposed to be blessed with good luck, though so far... it hasn’t seemed to be working.’

Inuyasha stared at the rosary a moment in awe-- no one had ever given him anything like this before. Well, no one other than his parents. He had never had many friends, and the ones he had had were all passer-by’s that quickly moved on to other places.

And now Rin was here, and giving him this thing that was clearly of great importance and, possibly, value...

That thought jolted him out of the rest of his thoughts, and Inuyasha shook his head, bringing his clawed hands up to claps the beads and begin to remove them. ‘I can’t take this.’ He said, lifting it up, only to have Rin’s much-smaller hands come to rest on his own, staying him.

‘It’s not your choice when it’s a gift.’ She said, gently pushing on his hands again, forcing them back down. ‘Keep it. Who knows-- it may actually bring you some luck!’

Inuyasha shook his head again, but slowly released his hold on the beads, letting them fall to rest against his collarbone once again.

Then he frowned as he more fully took in her words.

‘So You mean to say that, in all your life, you’ve never had any good luck?’ He asked quietly.

Rin offered a frown of her own, and then shrugged. ‘I’ve lived with Naraku nearly all my life. There’s not much room for believing in such things when your with him. Besides-- I would hardly call any of my time under his reign “luck”.’ She said, and Inuyasha got a thoughtful expression on his face for a moment, his gaze still resting on her.

‘Well, you’re here aren’t you?’ He asked softly.

Rin opened her mouth to say something, but no words would come.

She was left to silently contemplate this unexpected bought of wisdom, while Inuyasha himself allowed his arms to slip from under him so he could flop back down on the grass, his eyes closing once again. ‘And you have Kagura now.’ He mumbled, almost as an afterthought.

Rin jolted slightly.

‘Kagura!’

How could she have forgotten?

‘You’ve been too bust with worrying over Inuyasha, that’s how!’ She mentally snarled at herself.

The truth of the matter was, over all the time she had spent here, she had barely seen or spoken to her “sister” at all.

It was shocking, considering almost everything she had done thus far had been to keep Kagura safe.

That in mind, Rin decided now was as good a time as ever to go and find and speak with her sister.

‘Inuyasha, I must go back to the castle. It’s getting late and I really do need to talk with Kagura.’ She said.

Inuyasha gave a small snort of sorts, though not in annoyance or anger, just a general sound of response. ‘I understand.’ He said, as Rin slowly got to her feet, pausing to frown down at the still unmoving hanyou.

‘Are you not coming?’ She asked, not really wanting to leave the hanyou alone out and about when Naraku was still at large and still so obviously a threat.

‘Yeah.’ He said slowly, not opening his eyes. ‘I need to talk with my brother, too.’

Rin didn’t understand this statement, but decided it best not to question, instead giving a simple nod of her head, and turning to head back toward the castle in search for her wayward sister.

Inuyasha smiled, eyes still closed, listening as she slowly faded from his sense’s range.

Then, cracking open one eye to the smallest of slits, he tiled his ears back slightly, focusing in on the nearby trees of the shadowed forest.

‘You can come out now, Sesshomaru.’ He said, a hint of amusement in his voice.

Like a shadow materializing in the fog, Sesshomaru came out from the tree’s, taking slow purposeful strides toward him.

Inuyasha cracked open the other eyes and tilted his head a bit when the demon lord finally came to a stop next to him, lowering down to sit next to him, his back resting against the Rowan he had previously had Inuyasha pinned to on their last encounter here.

Inuyasha smirked at his brother.

He had sensed Sesshomaru’s presence pretty much ever since he and Rin had wandered into the forest, but had chosen to ignore it, saving his brother’s dignity in front of Rin, feeling slightly touched by the youkai’s obvious concern for his safety, and so leaving him be to wander as a silent stalker behind them.

Until now that is.

‘So.’ He said, opening both eyes widely to fully take in his brother’s appearance, making sure his smirk was evident in his eyes and in his voice. ‘Did you catch onto the finer points of our conversation?’ ~*~  

Glossary

Gomen - (Not in Story) Sorry

Youkai - Demon

Ningen - Human

Hanyou - Half-demon

Miko - Priestess ~*~  

A\N: Lol, don’t anybody rip my head off, I have an idea what I’m doing here, believe it or not. I know Inuyasha was clinging to Sesshomaru before, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that he wouldn’t go outside with Rin, or wander that far away. Especially since he knew Sesshomaru was following them.

Anyway, as to the names, I don’t think anybody voted last chapter (which is a bit of a letdown) but there’s still hope. There’s still some time left before the pups are born!

(The Ones with stars next to them are Reviewers picks so far-- Number of * equals number of votes)

Tsukiko - Female - means Moon Child - ****************

Inuko - Means Dog-Child, and could be for a boy or a girl - *********

Moriko - Female - Forest child (Picked it out cause Inuyasha’s so fond of trees and all that ^_^) - ********

Akira - Male - Intelligencebrightness - *****

Akiko - Autumn child - This one’s just female (for reasons I do not know). Picked these 2

out because I like autumn. ^_^. It’s a tie between it and spring for best season. - ****

Gina - Silvery (Think I picked this out because Inuyasha and Sesshomaru have silver hair ^_^) Female - ****

Hikaru - Light: this is a boys name (I believe) but I suppose it could be used for a girl as well - ***

Hotaru - Firefly - Female - ***

Naomi - Female - Above all beauty (I always liked the name Naomi, so why not?) - ***

Suzume - Sparrow - female (again, this one I just liked the sound of) - ***

Kenaku - Swordsman, obviously a males ***

Katana - Female - (Yep this is an actual name, not just a word) it means Sword andor

Blade - **

Aki - Autumn andor bright - It’s male and female - **

Yuki - male - snow or luck *

As well as ones given by the reviewers:

-Shinsei - Boy - DivinityPureDignity ****

-Arekusu (boy)- Revered Wild Air Spirit - ***

-Haruko - means spring - girl - ***

-Ryuji - see Ryuko - boy **

-Biri (both)- Beautiful Reason **

-Takara - means treasure - either **

-Keitaro - Boy - blessed **

-Shion (boy)- Graceful Scholar **

-Kyo - boy - large, approval, or ginger *

-Yuri - BoyGirl - Lily - *

-Ryuko - means dragon - girl *

-Riku (boy)- Air Reason *

-Aron (boy)- Wild Theory *!

-Yoshi - boygirl - goodness, luck, free *

-Kiyoko - means pure, girl *

-Bureiku (boy)- Air Dancing Soul *

-Makusu (boy)- Revered True Air *