InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ When the Truth Rings ❯ A Walk Together ( Chapter 2 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Disclaimer: You all know the drill, but in case you don't... I do not own any of the characters participating the story below. So don't sue. Please... I have no money.
AN: Well, I am back with another installment of my first fic after encouragement to continue my one-shot. Thanks to those who reviewed, it felt good to know that you actually took the time out to tell me what you thought. Thank you. Now, on to Chapter Two!

~When the Truth Rings~
Chapter Two:
A Walk Together

Inuyasha awoke to a slight tugging on his haori and the calling of his name. "Inuyasha..." the voice sunk into his unconscience and jolted him awake.

Looking down from his branch/bed, he saw Sango pulling on his sleeve. 'Nice thing to see first thing in the morning,' he thought and smiled inwardly. Careful not to show any indication of what he was thinking, he asked, "What's wrong? Something happen?"

"No," she answered, letting his sleeve go. "We are moving again." Leaning over to pick up her Hiraikotsu, she continued, "I told Kagome and Miroku to go on ahead and we'll catch up."

Looking around the campsite, he finally noticed the absence of everyone else in his group. The fire had been put out, cooking utensils and dished cleared, and all the blankets and sleeping bags were gone. Then turning to give her a quick nod, he leapt from the tree to the ground.

He stood silently as he patiently waited for Sango to get ready for them to go. He tried not to look at her, afraid he might stare and make them both uncomfortable. Finally when he heard her say, "Alright, let's go," he let out the breath he didn't realize he was holding.

They walked in silence, climbing their way through the thick foliage, closing the gap between them and the tandem of the miko and the monk. Surprisingly, Inuyasha and Sango walked with no sense of urgency to catch up to their friends, figuring if trouble arose, they would be called for.

The muteness between them was comfortable, wordlessly enjoying each other's company as they traveled through the sunlit forest. Soon resorting to stealing glances at his quiet companion, he got a few chances to see her in a relaxed state, a slight smile on her face as she enjoyed the scenery. He got quite a few chances, really, as he saw that she didn't seem to notice that his eyes were on her instead of watching where he was going.

'Why did I never notice before last night?' was all he could think whenever he pondered on how he would go about telling Sango his feelings. But no matter how much he thought about it, he couldn't generate an answer. He also couldn't decide when to tell her. 'I would do it now because we are alone, but still... I'm not complete sure on how she would take it. Would she slap me like she does Miroku? No... I haven't touched her. Though...'

He immediately slapped himself across the face for such lecherous ideas, but froze when his peripherals told him Sango was looking at him in confusion. "I... I felt a bug on my face," he lied.

"Oh," she said, giggling a little. "For a second I thought you've taken to abusing yourself."

He closed his eyes. 'If only you knew...'

Deciding to continue the conversation after such prolonged silence, he asked, "Why did Kagome and Miroku go ahead of us anyway?"

Looking up at him, she answered, "They wanted to get an early jump on jewel shard hunting this morning. They were ready to head out when they saw you were still sleep. So I told them to go on ahead and I'll stay here with you."

While she explained, Inuyasha barely caught what she said, because he was too busy filling his eyes with her perfect face. He wanted to cup her face in his hands and run his thumbs over her smooth features. Her creamy skin, beautifully constructed lips, the way her hair framed her eyes... her eyes. He loved them. He loved how they held so much intensity under a blanket of calm, and how at any moment the blanket could be tossed aside and a fire would burn anyone she turned her gaze to. The mahogany hue, so rich and true. She possessed the most honest eyes he'd ever seen, and his had heart leapt in his chest when she turned to him in a reply.

When she finished, he nodded, and kept walking. Momentarily thinking about something else, he was surprised to hear her voice again.

"Inuyasha, are you okay?"

Looking down at her, he gave her another nod. "I'm fine. Why are you asking me that?"

"It's just that instead of walking up there with Kagome..." he flinched slightly, "... you are all the way back here with me. And not to mention that you've been really quiet. The most quiet I've ever seen you."

Keeping up his persona that she knew so well, he crossed his arms across his chest and looked away. "Maybe I just felt like walking behind them for a while. I get tired of leading the way sometimes. For once, can I follow?"

He could sense her lower her head and smile lightly. "And to think, I thought you might like my company for a change." He closed his eyes and mentally cursed himself, but opened them when she continued. "Hey -- I can see them just up ahead! They left a long time before we did and we caught up to them already."

She looked up at him again, still smiling. "I guess we travel faster, just the two of us."

"I guess we do," he agreed, wanting to smile at her but decided against it. Sighing, he said, "Well, it's time to get back to the slowpokes up there."

Though he couldn't see her face blush a little, he heard the cordiality in her tone when she said, "Yeah, let's slow our pace so we don't pass them."

AN: I'm pretty excited because I got another chapter written. Please review and tell me what you think! Onward and upward to Chapter 3!