InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Where Love Lies ❯ Wonder ( Chapter 1 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Shippo's Pov:

Inuyasha and Koga are fighting again... I don't know how we even ran into him! Just coincidence I guess, but why did it have to be at a time like this? Inuyasha was just finished being pissed off at me a while ago, and now....

"It's mine you damn mutt face!!" Koga shouted another insult at Inuyasha.

Inuyasha shook his fist, "I saw it first, you ass hole!"

I sighed and slumped down against a tree. This was going to go on all night, I'm sure of it. Strangely enough, it happened to end right now. I felt two pairs of eyes staring at me.

"What are you looking at?" I heard Inuyasha ask.

Koga replied, "Who's that kid?"

I turned to them and got to my feet. Was he talking about me?

"That's Shippo, remember?" Inuyasha said.

For a while Koga remained silent, just staring at me with slight disbelief. "That's the little runt you hung out with so long ago?"

I got angry at that comment, "Hey! Who's a runt?!"

True, I looked a lot different than I did almost a century ago. I had waist long orange hair, but it got chopped down to shoulder length in a battle once. I got some human clothes from a village a long time ago.... It's a bit torn and worn out now though..... I'm just a head shorter than Inuyasha, so I'm kind of disappointed that I'm still the shortest....

But I always keep my hair in the bow like I always had before. Let's just say I'm not so tiny anymore.... Amazingly though, Inuyasha still looks the same! I was thinking he might start to turn out like Sesshoumaru....

"Shippo..." I heard Inuyasha say my name, and I looked up. "We're leaving, come on."

I looked around, but Koga was nowhere to be seen. During my deep thought he must've gone already. I really should pay more attention...

"Shippo!"

"I'm coming!" I yelled back as I ran to catch up to him.

And once again, we were on a path to God knows where! Sheesh.... I don't really know why I'm still with Inuyasha and not on my own. Something inside just wouldn't let me leave, and besides, he didn't seem to mind... Too much, anyway.

I walked until I bumped into his back. He turned around, now furious again, "Can't you stop daydreaming and watch where you're goin'?!" He shrieked.

I yelped and held my ears at the sudden outburst. Truth be told I hadn't expected that. "Ok, ok, I'm sorry! Why'd ya stop for anyway?!"

"If you weren't in your own little world, you would have heard me the first time. We're camping out down by that river."

"...Oh."

-

The fire I made burned brightly on the small supply of firewood.... The stars also shone brightly over head, and there was not one breeze... Inuyasha was sitting opposite to my side of the fire, and while he was scribbling something down on what seemed like a small old book.

I just sat there staring at him. Heck, I had nothing better to do. I'm not sure, but I keep getting this weird feeling whenever I stare at him hard enough...

"What?" His question startled me, and I searched my mind desparately for an answer. Having found none, I just...

"Inuyasha..?"

"What?!" He asked, sounding a bit more agitated.

"Why do you keep me around?" Don't... ask me where that came from.

He looked at me strangely and placed his book down on the dirt. There was silence between us for a while, and the crescent moon was now high overhead. The fire had slowly deteriorated over time, and now there were only a few sparks left.

"Inuyasha?..." I whispered... For some reason my voice wouldn't go any louder and it made me feel uncomfortable. I was about to give up hope when he answered.

"Because... You're all I... Have left..."

Because I'm all he has left? That's right... Kagome returned to her world. Kikyo suddenly vanished. Naraku along with Kagura and Kanna had been killed. Miroku and Sango were dead. Sesshoumaru, we hadn't seen him since Kagome was around. Koga just comes an goes. I guess I am all he has left, huh.

"Oh."

"What about you?"

I tilt my head in puzzlement. "What about me?"

"Why are you hanging around me? You should be old enough to be on your own by now."

I don't know myself! "Same reason as you I guess..."

Inuyasha stared at me, and I stared back. There was nothing much to do now but stare until we both fell asleep.

I finally began feeling the chill of the night as the flames went completely out.....