InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Why can't I hate you? ❯ Prologue ( Prologue )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
I do not own Inuyasha
- Prologue
The war had been carrying on for some time now. To the majority of people on the planet, the reason for it was unclear. Terrorism had not been defeated but grew in the time since September 11th.

The world was thrown into chaos with one half fighting the other. Since the war began in 2010, the casualties had been mounting at an enormous rate. The world's population had dropped from 6 billion down to a mere 2.7 billion in the space of 18 years of terrible conflict.

The amount of technology the human race had gathered was enabling it to kill itself slowly but surely. Until that day, that tragic day that ended the war that had last for almost two decades but also ended the familiar livelihoods of all the modern world at the same time.

The enemy had been cornered. It had taken eighteen years but the allied forces finally managed to track down their headquarters and cease the fighting, but the enemy had one more trick up its sleeve. They had one more devastating weapon that when they knew they were defeated, they set up on a timer.

It was called an EMP, an electro-magnetic pulse. Once it was detonated everything across the globe that relied on electrical power was absolutely wiped out. The world was thrown back in technological time to that of the sixteenth century.

Along with the destruction of the worlds technology came a re-emergence of mythical creatures and legendary monsters. In Japan, for instance was the arrival of the hanyou Naraku. To the people of the time he was a saviour. A man sent from a higher power to bring order back to a nation thrown into chaos since the pulse.

Not long after he gained a firm hold over the land he tightened down, breaking the lives of the people rather than allowing them to flourish. His true nature had been exposed but the people realized it too late.

After ten desperate years of heartbreak, and the unrelenting oppression of Naraku and his secret police a glimmer of hope shone in the distance. It came in the form of Kouga and the wolf demon tribes that were sick of the amount of power Naraku had gained.
Many locals went to join his cause and they established the Rebel Alliance around the year 2041. Kagome was only eight years old when she was taken in by the rebels. Her entire family had been taken and most likely killed by Naraku’s secret police, and she was near death when Kouga found her.

Since that time her entire life had been dedicated toenhancing her spiritual powers as a miko, learning how to fight in hand-to-hand combat and refine her favourite weapon, the long bow.
Eleven years later Kagome found herself perched in a tree, trying to shake her legs silently to wake up her cramped limbs. Her surgically altered eyes allowed her to see through the deep night as if it were day, without affecting her day vision negatively at all.
She was like a cat. Nimble, silent, and lithe.

She was the best raider the rebels had and they all knew it, except her. Kagome had never been one for pride and self praise. She still felt as clumsy as a horse sometimes but she loved her place in life, and would not allow Naraku to destroy it.
Kagome snapped back to reality.

She had spotted movement from the direction of an outer building on Naraku’s compound. Out of the darkened doorway, emerged Naraku himself.

The sight of the hateful creature made Kagome’s blood boil. Her entire family had been captured and killed by that monster. Including her younger brother who had been 3 years old at the time.

Kagome shook her head to clear the image from her mind. She took a deep breath to calm her nerves and the focused hunter in her surfaced. She watched Naraku carefully as he stood in the doorway of the building.

It seemed that he was calling for someone to follow him. Another hateful face emerged in the doorway. It was Kagura. Naraku’s second detachment and main servant. In her hand she held something that made Kagome stop breathing.

That purple glow was not mistakable; it was the Shikon no Tama.