InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Wicked ❯ A Grievous Mistake ( Chapter 10 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Chapter 10: A Grievous Mistake

The next morning dawned bright and clear – and Inuyasha loud and annoying, right off the bat. The moment the hanyou stepped into the hut where the women were sleeping, however, with his large loud mouth running a mile a minute, he got slammed, several objects being tossed at him, hard.

“Oi! I said we were leaving this morning, Ka-go-me, or did you forget? Get your lazy asses up!”

Kagome ground her teeth together, rolling over to peer up at the baka that was foolish enough to wake her up, and glared at him crankily. “Inuyasha, if you don't shut the hell up, I swear to all that's holy, your going to be underneath Kaede's hut – and I'm gonna be fixing a floor. Now scram!” she pointed out the door.

Inuyasha opened his mouth to retaliate, but shut it quickly at Kikyou's sudden flat look in his direction. “If you know what is good for you, Inuyasha, you will leave this hut immediately.”

The hanyou flinched, flicking a quick look between the two miko, then folded his arms over his chest and huffed, before turning and stomping from the room. “Feh,” he shot over his shoulder disgustedly. “Just hurry the hell up! Naraku ain't takin' naps, ya know.”

Sango burst out into laughter at the nearly identical annoyed looks on the two miko's faces, and shook her head. “What a peaceful wake up,” she grinned as she sat up and stretched. She laughed again as the other two shot irritated looks at her.

“What about that was peaceful, Sango?” Kagome asked.

“Well, maybe not for you, Kagome, but for me? It's the first day in a long time I've woken up without someone elses hands plastered to my backside. Yup, I'd have to say that waking up this morning was actually peaceful,” she chuckled.

Kagome rolled her eyes as Kikyou looked amused. “Well, I guess you've got me there. But it won't stay peaceful for long if we don't get a move on – you know what Inuyasha's like when he starts getting impatient.” The women shared knowing looks, but hurried to get ready, dressing and grabbing their packs and making their way outside to meet the males of the group, already ready and waiting, before the grouchy hanyou could bother them again.

“Bout damn time,” he groused, as the women stepped outside.

Kagome looked around, surprised. There was no sign of Mattaki, and for some reason, that lack made her uneasy. She didn't want to look into the reasons for that too closely, instead asking, “Where's your father, Inuyasha?”

“Feh! Who cares?” He flinched when Kagome shot him an annoyed look. “I don't know, okay? Damn! He's around somewhere, I'm sure. He's not gonna let you out of his sight.”

With a huff, she turned around and started walking off in their chosen direction. “Fine, whatever, Inuyasha. Let's just get going.”

The rest of the gang watched with raised brows, but no real surprise – fights between the two were common, after all. They were both far too stubborn. With a few snickers in the hanyou's direction, they started off, following in Kagome's footsteps, knowing that he'd be right back in Kagome's face later over something else.

Irritation circulated through Kagome's system at her hanyou friend – he always managed to drive her absolutely insane. It had to be a dog thing, because a certain Inu Lord was driving her down that same path to insanity.

They hadn't gone very far, when, in a swirl of bright gold youki, Mattaki appeared, striding along beside her as though he'd been there the entire time. Kagome almost fell over in shock, her face paling for a moment, and then reddening in anger.

“Don't do that!” she shrieked, a hand going up to cover her heart as it thumped loudly in startlement.

Mattaki glanced down at her out of the corner of one eye, reminding her of Sesshoumaru in that moment. “You should know that I am wherever you are, miko, whether you can see me or not, so you should not be surprised.”

Kagome sighed, an ache starting in her heart as those words rubbed something inside her a little raw. For so long, she would have given anything to hear Inuyasha say that very thing to her – and mean what his father did when he said it... but he never had, and now, he never would.

I don't know if I can give him what he wants... being 'one', as he says. Can I ever give that much of myself again? But... do I even want to? Arrogant, domineering, and callous when he wants to be, she smiled inwardly, though he is very handsome. But handsome is as handsome does, as they say.

She sighed again, as she thought about the daiyoukai that had bulldozed his way into her life, and was refusing to leave. True, he was all those things, but... he wasn't really bad. He obviously had a heart, and compassion. Tenseiga proved that. Not only could he use it, but he had created it from his own body.

She knew that youkai held no value in a kind heart if one didn't have strength to back it up – but that certainly wasn't a problem with him. It was almost as though he had too much power – she didn't believe anyone save the kami themselves had any more than he – and that was intimidating in some ways.

Although... there would be no way she would ever be safer than at his side, because of that. It was... strange in a way to be the focus of such fierce protection. To be the one all that power was focused on. She shook her head, her thoughts beginning to tend to the melancholy again.

Mattaki was very aware of every tiny nuance of her body language, every little clue that she gave as to what she was thinking and feeling – he paid attention to the slightest change in her scent, the differing expressions on her face, no matter how small – everything. He would use every bit of her fears against her, her worries, even her needs, to get a hold on her soul. After all, it was only fair – since she had such a tight hold on his own.

Right now, he knew that she was afraid. Afraid to let him in – she didn't understand that he was already in. No, he corrected himself, she knew he was, deep down – she just wasn't ready to lay down her arms and surrender. But he was determined that she would. This was a battle she would not, could not win.

“Do not attempt to push me away, Kagome,” he said calmly. “It will not work. You know it will not – to continue fighting me now is merely delaying the inevitable.”

Inevitable? “Maybe. But I'm not one to give up without a fight, Mattaki, or hadn't you figured that out yet?” she replied quietly. “No one has ever gotten me to submit.” She glanced at him, a serious, searching expression on her face. “Why should I start now with you?”

A little smile lightened his face for a moment. “I think that you're afraid to submit, Kagome.”

Her brow arched. “That's where you're wrong. I'm not afraid. But why should I submit myself to someone? After all, I don't need a man. Maybe women here in this world do, but I'm not from here... I can take care of myself.”

She was taken aback when a mischievous look crossed his face, and he placed his forearm against his chest, only to bow slightly to her, before straightening. “You forget, my dear – I am not a man. And you will find that you do need me... and then there is the want. Do you think I do not know your want of me? You can deny it to yourself, Kagome, but not to me – because I can see it, scent it, and feel it. And it will only grow deeper - stronger.” His voice dropped then, all playfulness disappearing from it. “Why do you fight me, and yourself, so? Is what we are developing between us not what you had wanted with Inuyasha? Wanted, with anyone? To find your soul mate? Why is it so wrong that it is in me that you have found it?”

She blinked, then looked down, her eyes unfocusing as she actually thought about his words. Am I just being foolish? He's right... we all want to find our other half, in life. Am I just sulking and being combative because I didn't get the one I thought I should? Or because it happened so fast? Am I denying myself and him... for no good reason?

Inside, Mattaki smiled. He may have just said the one thing she needed to hear, to realize that fighting this was pointless – and only harmful to them both.

He could only hope so... as much as he'd been drawn to her before returning fully to life, now, being here with her, was making it a thousand times more powerful.

His need of her was almost poignant – and becoming painful. His blood and his soul demanded the satisfaction that would only be found in joining with her, sinking himself into her, twining their souls so tightly together that even the kami could never split them apart again.

And damn anything that would try to take her away from him. Or anyone.

-wWw-

Their travels were fairly quiet for several days, and though the peace was enjoyed, Kagome found herself beginning to be uneasy – something was building up. Undoubtedly another plan of Naraku's, and those were never good.

She was positive that it would be something against Mattaki. To Naraku, the Inu no Taisho was an unknown – someone he had no idea how to combat. She knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that the spider would hide himself away like the rat he was, and plot and plan. There was no way he would risk a direct confrontation, because, if nothing else, he knew that he was no match in combat for the Inu Lord.

With a sinking feeling, she realized that it was very possible that Naraku would choose to strike through her. It was his way, and Mattaki had made no secret of his desire for her. That, unfortunately, made her even more of a target than usual.

She decided to share her thoughts with the others one evening around the campfire. After the evening meal had been eaten, and everyone was comfortably ensconced near the warmth of the flames, she spoke up.

“Hey, guys... I don't know if anyone has noticed, but... something's going to happen soon. There's just a bad feel to the air lately.”

No one questioned her on her feelings, all of them accepting her words as fact. Apparently, they had all been having the same feelings, apprehension infecting everyone.

“Feh. It's about time for another one of that bastard's schemes, isn't it? He's usually not this quiet for this long – the only time he was before was when he disappeared to Mt. Hakurei.” He snorted, staring into the fire as though mesmerized. “I think I prefer it when there's less time between attacks – means he's had less time to think of and plan out more dangerous schemes. After all, look at what happened when he had all that time to hide out there... we got stuck dealing with the Shichinen-tai. They were bad news,” he murmured, his eyes going haunted for a moment when those memories played out in his mind. He'd almost lost his friends then... almost lost Kagome – and Kikyou. It was something he would never forget.

The mood around the fire became grim as they all agreed with Inuyasha. Certainly, the more time the spider was allowed to plot, the worse it would be.

Kikyou's voice broke the sudden quiet. “I fear that any scheme he hatches now will have one of two targets – myself, or you, Kagome. Or both.”

A low, dark growl rolled through the clearing at that; every eye was drawn to its source – Mattaki.

“That hanyou will not succeed if he thinks to attack Kagome. He will soon find that to touch her is a death sentence.”

Kagome shivered; there was a note of something in the daiyoukai's voice – something that actually frightened her, and made her very glad that she wasn't on the receiving end of his ire.

Still, Naraku was nothing if not devious, and he would not think twice about trying some plan to kill her, Mattaki's threats notwithstanding. “It'll be something contentious, you can bet,” Kagome said, not looking at anyone. “Divide and conquer. I'm sure that Naraku has been watching us, looking for anything he can use to split us up from within. It's what he does, after all.”

There was a chorus of agreeing murmurs from around the fire; Mattaki said nothing, however, simply watching the group. His priority was Kagome, though he would protect them all, but, if it came down to it, they would be responsible for themselves.

“That is why you will not leave my side, Kagome. And when you have need for privacy, you will take the other females with you, and not go far from the rest of us. We must all stick together.”

She opened her mouth to protest, but was cut off by Kikyou. “He is right, Kagome. You shouldn't fight him on this simply because you are stubborn, as you said before. You know what Naraku is like – do you really wish to be caught alone by him?”

Eyes wide, Kagome shuddered at that. That's an easy question, she thought. No way, no how. I don't ever want to get that up close and personal with that sadistic creep.

Mattaki watched her closely as she thought over what had been said, relaxing just slightly when she finally nodded, and didn't argue the point any further. He couldn't wait to catch up with the spider – that was all it would take. The moment they caught him, he was dead, because he, Mattaki, would never let anything live that was a danger to what was his.

It was just a matter of finding him – it appeared that the spider was as good at hiding as any self-respecting rat youkai – maybe better. Perhaps it was time to delve into the mystic arts to find him – spells and magic might succeed where superior senses could not.

He would definitely have to take the time to think on this...

-wWw-

“Kaze no Kizu!” Inuyasha shouted out, as he finally managed to get the drop on the swarm of youkai that had been attacking a small settlement of farmers for the last several days. He'd barely managed to get in front of the elderly woman the low-level youkai were after before they got there, but he'd done it... somehow.

As soon as the energy of his attack died down, he looked around for the rest of his group, but didn't see anyone – apparently, they were on the other side of the group of huts. He could, however, feel his father's youki swell just a little, and knew the rest of the group was safe. With that, he turned to look at the woman still crouched behind him.

“Oi, babaa, you're fine now,” he said gruffly, offering a hand to her to help her stand up.

The woman smiled up at him gratefully. “Thank ye, young man. I am most grateful to ye for your help. I would like to return the favor – is there anything that I could help ye with?”

Inuyasha snorted. “What could an old one like you help me with, eh, babaa? No disrespect meant, ya know, it's just...” he trailed off as she cackled merrily.

“Ye are fine, young man. I understand your meaning. But I am not just an old woman – I hold power of my own... and great knowledge. Is there any question ye could perhaps need the answer to?” she asked slyly.

Maybe...? Would she know about bonds? I guess it couldn't hurt to ask... “Oi,” he said slowly, “maybe you can help me. I need to know if you know anything about bonds... like youkai mating claims and the like.”

“Mating claims, eh? Is there perhaps a youkai that has laid claim to someone important to ye? And ye wish to break that claim without fighting him and risking being killed?”

With a surprised look, Inuyasha finally 'Keh'd', and nodded, shifting slightly as he sheathed the Tessaiga and glanced surreptitiously around to make sure none of the group had come near enough to hear the conversation. “Yeah, old woman, you picked it. So, do ya know anything about breaking such a bond?”

Face scrunched, the elder grinned up at him. “I do... but let me ask ye this. Is the female unwilling to entertain this claim? Does she want to be freed of it?”

He scowled. “Yeah, she wants to be freed of it, babaa! I wouldn't be askin' if she didn't!”

“Then follow me, youngling. I will give ye the necessary ingredients for a certain tea that ye must give the girl. It will settle into her body, and when she sleeps, it will begin weakening the bond – once it is weak enough, she can break it the rest of the way herself.” The woman began hobbling off towards one of the huts, and Inuyasha followed her, thrilled.

A tea? This'll be too easy – Kagome loves tea. He grinned nastily. Take that, old man. I might not be more powerful than you, but maybe I'm smarter. After all, isn't there a saying, fight smarter, not harder?

He continued to gloat inwardly as the old woman pressed a small leather bag on him and instructed him in its use, and after thanking her as politely as he'd ever thanked anyone and tucking it into his suikan, he strode off in the direction his companions were in, never once looking back.

If he had, he might have understood that he'd just made a grievous mistake in trusting someone – and a stranger at that - that had so conveniently known the answer to such a question.

So much for smart.