InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Winds ❯ Intoxicated Jade ( Chapter 9 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Kikyou moved through the trees with silent footsteps, carefully walking where no men tread, avoiding the scent of humanity, the swirl and rush of life. All her ideas and ideals had been disturbed, disrupted, and the choices of her life raised up before her like ghosts on the path she walked. Everything should have been changed when the wolf touched her - part of her had welcomed the sacrifice with open arms, desiring no more illusions of sanctity and no more power. The glow of miko that she could still touch should have been snuffed out with the purity of her flesh.
Kagome had not lost that power either, despite the taint of her lust with Inuyasha, but it was untenable that this should be so. Had so many women wasted their lives, chaste, unloved, for no reason at all? Her own sister, even? Of course it would be Kagome, lingering in a world not her own, who would discover this and make it so. Who else would try; who else could risk it?
 
Did my love for Inuyasha weaken me only because I believed it would, rather than because such weakness was inevitable? Or perhaps I did not love him…perhaps I only wanted to escape with him, the first one who offered me a chance - and he did love me. I saw that old love in his eyes the moment I saw him, returned to this false life.
 
It hurt so much, now! There was no escaping this new knowledge, now that she had admitted it to herself. She had been shallow and selfish, wanting Inuyasha to change so that she could have a woman's life, and not a miko's. She had not been worthy of her charge.
 
He has happiness now, and in some small way, I can be glad of that. Some part of Kagome is still me, some part of that soul still remembers. I have no right to be bitter, especially since…
 
Between trees, she stopped, and pressed her palms against her cheeks. She had felt…warmth. A surge of warmth to accompany the rush of feeling at the thoughts that had filled her. She was never warm, or cold, though she knew she felt that way to others. The memory of being alive was the memory of being warm.
 
The wolf…Kouga. Kouga, what do you think of me? Do you know who I am, will you learn what I am? If you go to Inuyasha he will not be angry - the girl that fills you fills him also. I wonder if the mystery still binds you, if you would still want me…Kouga.
 
A glow like soft blue lightning drifted down towards her out of the sky, and the swift serpent shape that dove down towards her and lingered with its nose near her finger was silent, and yet hummed.
“Go out from me and find this wolf, Kouga, and bring the knowledge of his whereabouts to me. Perhaps I will go and find him, and not sit and wonder what he is thinking.”
There was a sound like whale song, softer and brighter in the air, and then the single serpent was joined by a dozen others, and then more. They sped away from her out into the air in many directions, and Kikyou continued moving through the trees. Day by day, she had been moving away from her sister's village, away from Inuyasha and his new mate, the happiness they shared and the constriction of her throat when she thought of them.
Now, she turned back, meandering back over a stream that crossed her path, stooping to bathe her face and hands in the still, clear water. The face that reflected back at her from the pebble-strewn shallows was smooth and unlined, but there was a softness in her features that she did not remember. The first time she had looked in the mirror-water of a still pond her eyes had been flat and dull - now they sparkled.
The change could have been in her blood, if she had blood, but she did not. Her heart did not beat, and her soul was not her own, but inside her, whatever was, was changing.
 
It may take them some time to find him. Where should I go…while I am waiting, what is there to see or do that could distract me from these thoughts?
 
She let the water drip off her fingers, and watched the wide spread of ripples move across the water and join into shimmering, diamond faceted crescents on the silver surface.
Half a moment before she heard the buzzing noise that was a tensing alert, her skin prickled and she whirled with a rush, lifting her bow and holding an arrow ready between two fingers.
 
Saimyoshou!
 
With a pounding feel that was close to a heartbeat, she sighted and released her arrow. The shaft slid through the demon insect and purified it into dust.
 
Naraku…what do you want from me now? It has been so long since last you tried, I suppose. Will you try to use even this wolf against me?
 
She stepped forward and reclaimed her arrow. The saimyoshou were not opponents; they were aggravation, Naraku's taunt to let her know he could find her, that she was not invulnerable, that he was always watching. She was still full of the belief that Naraku himself could not touch her, but she knew he had other minions; he still tried to hurt her.
 
Naraku knows I am his weakness. Maybe Inuyasha should know this, too. Does Naraku know he has mated the girl?
 
With narrow eyes and breaking thoughts, she paced alongside the stream, watching, waiting. Before too long, a single glowing serpent floated down to her side, weaving through the air, and then was joined by another. They danced together in the air alongside her, and she turned to stare at the path she had already walked.
“Go back? I…did not want to go back.”
But she turned, and sighed, and glided toward the village. Like a cool and rising tide, she felt filled, as though with light. She resonated with the trees, with the movement of dirt and old twigs, fallen bits of bark and skittering insects. For another moment she paused, as the wind raised a chill on the back of her neck.
 
I thought…I heard someone say my name.
 
 
 
“Kikyou…Kikyou. Kikyou.”
 
Kikyou…
 
Kouga was testing her name on his tongue like the finest sake, and he found it to be both sweet and bitter. He still could not bring himself to forget what the Houshi had said, though he had been trying all day.
 
They are both…Inuyasha's women.
 
Why Inuyasha? What was it about Kikyou that could make her Inuyasha's women, after so long, after she was so changed, after Inuyasha had taken Kagome, taken her and made her his mate?
 
I could never claim her, now. But why are my thoughts so stuck on this woman, more than…more than Kagome! How can that be?
 
His thoughts still rebelled, but it was true. There was no point in hoping; Kagome was no longer free.
 
And unless Inuyasha is more stupid than even I think he is, he would never let her go.
 
One fist tightened and he scowled as he ran. That echo was still penetrating his skull, and it was beginning to create a throb behind his eyes.
 
They were both…Inuyasha's women. But Kikyou, Kikyou is not Inuyasha's woman. Kikyou…Kikyou is mine!
 
Thinking it was not the only thing that made it so. He knew he was the only one who had ever claimed her; her body was not tainted by the scent of another male, and her kiss was too fresh and light to belong to a knowing woman. There was something deeper in his desire for her; perhaps it was nothing more than the closeness brought by the touch of her skin, the flesh that was not flesh, the soft, gripping coolness that was so different from any other female he had known - and then, just for a moment, the warmth, the supreme warmth.
Quiet came over his thoughts, and filtered down into his blood. He could not allow himself to be controlled by mere lust. If that was all it was, he would be better to deliver his message quickly, and then leave. Why was he even hoping that she would be here? This had been her place in life, but it was quite clear that in death she left well enough alone.
The scents were beginning to make themselves clear now, and with speedy efficiency he picked them out, just beyond the range of Inuyasha's nose.
 
Humans…children…cooking smells. Peony flowers, kitsune, Inuyasha…Kagome. And death. Somehow, this whole village smells of death.
 
Death was a human worry, and it was not attached to Kagome's scent, so he did not care. His thoughts played various games inside themselves, seeking a way to gain Kagome's attention without Inuyasha's. It would be difficult. An Inu did not leave his mate alone, nor allow her to wander out of the range of scent, except in direst need. As it was, the simplest plan seemed most likely to work.
Kouga wound himself up to top speed, and darted the last few miles up the road to the village. By now, the villagers were used to the incursions of random youkai, but it still did not mean they wouldn't try to kill him, and that was boring. As a rush of wind, he slid right by them, and continued on until he could see Inuyasha, standing guard over a loop of steam.
He thought to go right past him, when the hanyou didn't move or twitch to acknowledge his scent, but as he tried a single quick fist slammed through the wind that surrounded him and caught him by the collar of his vest.
“Damn wolf! Did you think you would get by me that way, that I would let you see her bathe?”
Kouga's brain finally made the connection between the rising steam, Inuyasha's stance, and the strong scent of Kagome that was wandering up to him from the water that must lay at the bottom of the rise. It was definitely her voice that bounced up at them, worry lilting in it.
“Is everything alright, Inuyasha?”
“Fine, Kagome, just fine.”
With a growl like low thunder, Inuyasha stood and dragged Kouga away from the spring where Kagome bathed.
“What do you want, wolf? She is my mate now. You cannot have her.”
Roughly, Kouga shook off Inuyasha's hands, and took a step back.
“You think I don't know that? The scent of you two has been through the whole wood the past few days. I didn't come here for her. I bring a message from Miroku.”
The growling stiffness that had stayed latent in Inuyasha's muscles relaxed, but his scowl grew deeper.
“Where did you see Miroku?”
Kouga shrugged.
“South. I traveled with him for a few days, but he seemed concerned that your group would worry for him. Once he was far enough away that you could not easily catch up, he sent me back with a message.”
Inuyasha's clenched fists tensed even more, giving away his anxiety, but it couldn't be helped.
“Wait here.”
With a running leap, he went back to the spring and ran down behind Kagome.
“Kagome.”
A spiral shock of surprise drew a squeal from her throat, but it died when she felt his hands on her shoulders, lifting her up out of the water. For a moment she glistened like a nymph in his arms, and Inuyasha's most immediate desire suddenly had nothing to do with messages, or the wolf.
Like a darting snake, he struck inwards, stealing a kiss.
“Kouga is here. He says he brings a message from Miroku.”
For the first time in days, there was an edge of brightness in her eyes that had nothing to do with him. Relief was a pronged wave in her scent, and as it touched him he too felt relieved.
“I'll get dressed, Inuyasha. Why don't you bring him back to Kaede's, and I'll meet you there?”
Reluctant, he put her down but did not let her go.
“I will wait with you. We will all go together.”
While she bent and folded in interesting ways, sliding into her strange clothes, Inuyasha watched, cursing Kouga. The pleats of her skirt swirled and fell five inches above her knees; the single layer of her blouse was almost sheer when the sun shone from behind her. For a moment, he scowled, and then ran across the smooth grass and scooped her up into his arms.
He liked to carry her this way now, instead of on his back. He could watch her face, and feel her warmth, and not be so tempted by the smooth white flesh under his claws. She was not distracted, however, and her questions were worried and to the point.
“How does Kouga bring us a message from Miroku? They do not…know each other. None of us really know Kouga, and when he comes, it's always at such odd times. He never has any pattern; he doesn't make any sense!”
She sighed, and the puff of air ruffled her hair.
“If he tries to say I am his woman, Inuyasha, please don't kill him. He's just…”
Another sigh wafted its way through her bangs.
“Just don't kill him, okay?”
She could not see his smile, but the shadows on his face moved in strange and shiver-inducing ways.
“I have already told him, Kagome. You are mine. You do not need to worry about it.”
When they crested the hill, and Kouga could see them, Inuyasha put Kagome down and they walked together to stand in front of him. A sympathetic sadness had imprinted itself over Kagome's features, but the worry for her friend was obvious; she seemed thinner, as though she had lost sleep, and missed many meals.
“Kagome…”
Kouga paused, and turned to gauge Inuyasha's mood. The hanyou seemed so protective of Kagome, it didn't seem like there was any room for another woman left! Why would it be unwise to mention Kikyou, to say that she was his? The Houshi had left much unexplained.
“Your friend, the Houshi, sends a message through me. He is traveling south, to a mountain where a mystic is said to have taken up residence, a powerful spirit of good omen that now blesses the mountain. He was told that the pure essence of this mountain could relieve even the most evil of curses, and that Naraku's power was as nothing against it.”
Instantly, Kagome understood.
“He is going to try and heal the Kazaana. Why didn't he tell us?”
Kouga shook his head. His own warnings had not been listened to, and he did not desire to heighten Kagome's worry.
“Miroku fears the source of his information may be corrupt. He did not want to endanger your lives needlessly, on a quest that would solely benefit him, if it is a trap.”
Inuyasha snarled.
“A trap? Than it has something to do with Naraku!”
Kouga's voice became strident.
“The Houshi is following the direction of Kagura. She is leading him to the sacred mountain.”
Dead silence fell; even Kagome could hear heartbeats.
 
 
The jungle seemed to thin after a few days, or at least settle into a predictable mess. Trees, vines, and ferns shot up at unpredictable angles and leapt out across overgrown openings that had seemed like paths a moment before. Strange creatures peered out with glossy, goggling eyes pinned on to the sides of their faces like buttons, or moved by his feet swiftly, furred and pawed with chuffing, scuffing whiskers and short flat tails. Brightly colored flowers bloomed on the sides of rotting trunks, which seemed to melt into the shallow grasses and sapling-shoots that had sprouted up beside them.
Miroku was moving carefully, his every sense on the alert. For two days he had traveled warily south, waiting to encounter any sign or sensation of lynx youkai, and for two nights he had slept uneasily, sure that the next time he woke it would be to hissing laughter and claws on his throat. Instead, there was silence all around him, and besides the small creatures that flitted through the trees and undergrowth, he saw nothing and no one.
He was beginning to think that Kagura had been playing with him, or that he had gone in the wrong direction, when the bushes alongside the faint suggestion of a trail began to rattle conspicuously. Miroku gripped his staff, reaching forward with eyes and ears. He allowed the heightening awareness of houriki to creep into him, and with a low, sweeping stroke he used the butt end of his staff to rustle the bushes.
There was a sound like a boiling kettle, somewhere between the tones of a whistle and the sibilance of a hiss. Within the moment that Miroku was jumping away, a ball of fur rolled out of the brush and leapt to its feet in front of him.
He knew suddenly and certainly that Kagura had not lied. His feet had passed him into the lynx territory and he had not even known it.
 
It would not be wise to anger them without cause, and the cat does not attack. I will not be the first to do so.
 
Slowly, backing away a single step, Miroku allowed his staff to relax from his hands until the end rested on the ground. He held it loosely in one hand. Orange and shining eyes still watched him over bared teeth. Slowly, terribly, the lynx began to pad in half circles, back and forth, preventing him from going further. Miroku help up his hands, praying swiftly.
“If you can understand me, I am not here to harm you or your tribe! Please, allow me to pass by.”
While he had stayed in place, the cat had remained silent, though pacing; as soon as he stepped forward, a low rumble of growls, lapping on each other's ends, began to fill the space between them.
One indrawn breath punctuated the noise. Miroku's eyes leapt from bush to tree, tree to shadow. He was met with eyes everywhere, green eyes, orange eyes, yellow eyes, shining and dangerous and everyone of them cat. With a sigh and a jingle of rings, he folded his arms and sat slowly. His thoughts held themselves paused while he collected himself to wait.
 
This was not how I wanted to spend any more time. Haven't I waited long enough?
 
With a sigh, he closed his eyes and began to meditate. Miroku reached back through his teachings, and sought the Lotus Sutra. Time passed.
A swift shower made itself known, falling onto the high canopy of dark jungle trees and sliding down the long gnarled barks, each drop losing itself in thick trunks. Perhaps one drop out of a thousand made it down to the floor of the deep forest, to feed and nurture the scuttling bunches of life that ran for them. Flowers bloomed for a few bright moments, gulping up the dew fall, and then spinning into an organza-twist of silence.
Miroku felt the sparse drops on his face, and let out a long, slow breath of air. He blinked. The cats that had blocked his path were gone, and everything glistened with a smooth sheen of new wetness. Slowly, stretching his muscles to ease the stiffness from so long in one position, he stood. He allowed his eyes to drift around, seeking the shadows that had held eyes.
There was nothing; the air around him was empty of scent and substance. Miroku felt alone, but there was still a tingle of presence that drifted just beyond his ability to name or touch it.
 
Is it Kagura? Or do the leaders of the lynx tribe wait in ambush? I need more information…I cannot dash off blindly through strange territory!
 
The question no longer mattered. Even while he had those few thoughts, a demonic presence grew stronger, moving toward him faster than his own breath.
 
Lynx, but not an ambush. Did the others bring a message, while I sat so still and silently? Perhaps they thought me dead.
 
There was suddenly a lean, tall figure in front of him, hair blowing wildly in his own wind. His arms were tattooed with curving stripes of spots to the elbow. Sandy hair was shot through with black and tied in a long tail. The eyes that focused on Miroku's face and glinted over a sharp-toothed smile were the color of lime juice, struck with sun.
“So, you are the human that is causing all the trouble. Why is it that you neither run nor attack?”
Miroku continued to hold his ground, studying his new adversary. He was reminded forcefully of Kouga, but the tall lynx who stood watching him had more inquisitive features and a more intellectual demeanor. His face was dispassionate.
“I have no reason to attack those who do not harm me, and if I am not harmed, why would I run?”
The smile that faced him widened.
“Well, there's no disputing that logic. What is your name and purpose, human?”
Miroku bowed, but kept his eyes tied to the lynx and his fist tight on his staff.
“My name is Miroku, a humble servant of Buddha. My purpose is merely to pass through this region. I am traveling south.”
Darkness gathered between the lynx's eyes.
“If your purpose is truly that meager, then perhaps we will allow you this. The region is troubled of late…many of the tribes speak of gathering to fight.”
He stopped himself, and Miroku felt a short flash of indecision spark through his thoughts. After it came resolution.
“What shall I call you?”
With a short bow, he gave name and pedigree.
“I am Dak, Selea's son and Warlord of my tribe. Will you come to my den, Houshi? I offer you a night of comfort, in return for your counsel and perhaps your aid.”
As the questions piled up on Miroku's face, Dak held out one hand warningly.
“This is not the time or place for further conversation. Will you come, or not? If you come, your journey will be shortened some miles. The den is south east of here.”
A small smile grew on Miroku's face. Hospitality was not something he had expected.
“Thank you; I will come. Lead, and I will follow.”
Wordlessly, the lynx turned and darted off into the green thickness of dark trees. Pushing himself, Miroku could barely keep up and it was obvious that Dak had made a careful judgment of human limits. For the briefest of moments, a thought between steps, he remembered her, like the scent of a dream.
Are you watching me, Kagura?