InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Wiped Clean ❯ What's Not Said ( Chapter 7 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

What's Not Said
 
It's not easy seeing the one you love wiped clean again and again, so when they need a break from the heartache, they turn to each other.
 
"Sometimes, I wish it were me," Sango admits over a cup of tea. "It would hurt less."
 
"Keh," InuYasha scoffs, "but then who would look after your brother?"
 
Sango nods resignedly and blows across her cup. The tea, like her inability to do anything for her brother, burns.
 
"I wish I could just grab him and take him away," Sango suddenly says, slamming her cup on the table and hissing as the overflowing drink hits her fingers.
 
InuYasha growls softly. "Shut up," he motions toward the African-American man who has entered the coffee shop and now looks at them suspiciously. “Watch your mouth when you're where certain people can hear you."
 
Boyd - once a handler, now head of security - heads their way. It's no secret he questions the Dollhouse's morally ambiguous ethics, but questioning and talking of running are two totally different things. The first gives you a lecture from the Dollhouse's head; the second gets you sent to the attic.
 
"I didn't expect to see the two of you out and about."
 
"Sometimes it's hard to breathe down there," InuYasha says, tapping the side of his nose. Boyd nods affably, but there is a spark of something in his eye that makes Sango and InuYasha uneasy.
 
Without so much as a 'can I sit here' Boyd orders a coffee and pulls up a chair. Sango shoots InuYasha an indecipherable look and kicks him in the shin under the table. InuYasha snarls; Boyd gives the hanyou his attention, one eyebrow raised.
 
InuYasha is forced to think quickly. "I just hate waiting." It's not a lie, but it's not the whole truth.
 
Boyd seems to understand - both what InuYasha implies and what he hides.
 
InuYasha wants to curse; Boyd can hide behind his mask, but he'll never understand the pain of losing someone you love and yet seeing them every day.
 
"Echo seems to taken a liking to both of your actives," he says, almost conversationally. Nothing Boyd says is ever said without a reason.
 
Sango's eyes dart to InuYasha; he knows she's thinking, 'I told you so.' But to Boyd she just asks, "How is that possible?"
 
"Anything's possible; you should know that. After all, you work in the Dollhouse."
 
Disclaimer:
InuYasha belongs to the genius of Rumiko Takahashi, VIZ, and several other companies.
Joss Whedon is responsible for Dollhouse's existence… and FOX is responsible for the death of show
So yeah, I don't own either. Sadly.
"Wiped Clean" is a collection of pieces set in an Alternate Universe. The collection is written via prompts for the LiveJournal Community iy_themes.
"What's Not Said" was written for the "Rebel" prompt, was first posted to LiveJournal on May 24, 2010. It is 400 words long.