InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Within You ❯ How You Turned My World, You Precious Thing ( Prologue )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Disclaimer: I love the only Inuyasha related thing I own. My cute little chibi inu key-chain which lives out its happy life on my iPod making fashion statements everywhere (Ha! Take that Parris Hilton! You want something hot? Then look at my iPod cuz it's so cute and knows how to accessorize.)




Within You
By: lil6ter





How you turned my world, you precious thing*


Prologue

How had it come to this moment? How had it come to this decision?

The orchestra was beautiful: the best in the land, though that was to be expected. They always had the best here. The best food, the best music, the best clothing, the best artwork: no one else could compare. The hum of the instruments warmed the air on the cool night, and added to the joyful feel of the party. It was a masquerade, her father's idea. She thought that it would be a foolish one, asking for something terrible to happen. She had been all too right. She had felt him the moment he entered the room. She was attuned to his presence by now. It was hard to not be after nearly growing up with him.

She had chosen to ignore him though. She had mingled with the ladies of the court, and she had sipped her wine, waiting for the night to be over with. She was not sure if she was pleased with that decision.

She should have kept a closer eye on him throughout the evening instead of listening to the latest gossip. Or better yet, she should have never left the small group of women. Then he never would have trapped her from behind.

"My lady," he whispered into her ear, the tip of his dog mask gently grazing the edge of the shell.

"You should not be here," she whispered back. It was dangerous for him to be seen here with her, even if his face was concealed.

"I wanted to. I believe that we have a conversation to finish."

"I believe that we finished that conversation. There is nothing more to be said."

"Ah, but you are quite mistaken."

"Please..."

"Sh..." he whispered, backing away from her and allowing her the freedom to move once more. "Listen to the music."

She did, and she smiled ever so softly. They were playing his song**. The song that he always played on his violin.

"Dance with me?"

"You know that I cannot...it would cause so much trouble. And what would people think? What would my father think?"

"I think that you are forgetting about the woman that once said that she cared naught of what others though. Please...dance with me this one last time."

She could see his eyes, the longing, the desperation. It was something that she had only seen once before, and it was not something that she wanted to ever see again.

"Why do you do this to yourself?"

"Dance with me, and I may tell you."

She looked away in thought before raising her hand, and placing it on his arm.

Everyone in the room knew who she was, and everyone knew that this man was not her fiancé. She could feel their eyes on her as he led her to the center of the room. She silently damned him then, pleading him with her eyes to not do this.

"You have been avoiding me lately," he began after they had started to dance, her long dress swishing in what felt like the now silent room.

"I do not know what you mean."

"Ah...but you do. Tell me...why do you wish to continue this little farce of yours?"

"Why do you wish to continue to do this to yourself? You owe me that at the very least after last week."

"I owe you? My Dear, I think that it is the other way around. Why did you not tell me yourself?"

"It was not of importance."

"Your fiancé would not agree," he spat. "Why did you leave me to find out through word of mouth...through one of the maids?"

"And why did you have to tell me that...please...can you not just leave me alone?"

"Have I ever been able to?" he smiled ruefully.

"No...I suppose not, but now you must learn to."

"Perhaps...but first, first I have something for you."

"What is...please...do not do what I think-"

"After a week of solitude and being treated like a leper except to be mocked, at least let me do this."

"Please...I beg of you...please keep it. Save it for another."

"There is no other," he whispered as he reached into a pocket and pulled out the necklace she had feared most. The one thing of value that he owned, and she felt it being lowered around her neck like a heavy weight, just like she felt the whispers of the people around her. "I want you to have it. Even if there is someone else to take your heart from me," he murmured, raising his hand to gently cup her cheek and look into her eyes.

"I cannot keep this."

"Even if I beg you to?"

"Even," she swallowed, her throat suddenly becoming too dry, "even if you beg me to. You are a proud man. Do not become a foolish one. He will not let you get away with this unharmed."

"Your father or your fiancé?"

"Both of them."

"Then if I am to die, I will die a foolish, love struck one," he whispered, pressing his lips to hers. She was lost in him, surrounded by him, and solely his until he pulled away from her and demanded, "Why must you hide from this? Why must you do as your father asks? I know that your words are not true when you say that you care nothing for me. I can see it in your eyes."

"You are mistaken," she breathed.

"You lie," he growled lowly. "Why must you lie to me? After everything, why must you stoop to that?"

"It is so nice to see you again," a voice sneered from behind as a sharp blade was pressed to the man's throat. "Tell me...from what rock did you crawl out from under, and why do you soil my fiancé with your presence? Better yet, why did you come here tonight when you were clearly not invited?"

How had it come to this?

"I came to challenge your right for her."

How had she let it happen, and how could she keep him from being killed come dawn?













A/N: (Original posting: 2/5/10)

*Lyric to David Bowie's song Within You (http:// www. youtube. com/watch? v=y1-l0UN CKJM)
** Serenade, by Franz Schubert. (http:// www. youtube. com/ watch? v=r BaLyPQ F-Fo )

I own neither song. Yes, the man and the woman are I/K.


Please dun shoot! I know that I haven't updated Café in…a long time, but the place that I am at in that story is very complex and sticky and 1. I don't wanna mess it up, and 2. I just need a break from writing it, yet I still wanna writesomething!


I only have one chapter TOTALLY completed (which is this one) and I am on page 10 of the next chapter. I have NO idea how long it will be…but with any luck it will be up here soon!


If this is your first time reading something of mine, allow me to introduce you to my motto:school comes first. It has been that way since I started writing my…junior (?) year of high school, and that has not changed now that I am in college (and it pays off…GPA last Q was a 3.5!! Not bad for a new freshman!). Since I do take school like I do, it may be a bit harder for me to update, but I WILL update! The plot for this story has been rolling around my head for the last year! (I wonder how healthy that is…)


ANYWAYS…I hope you liked it! R and R please! Every review gets a response and helps me update faster!!

Converting /tmp/phpsFGMmm to /dev/stdout