Kingdom Hearts Fan Fiction ❯ Kingdom of Hearts: Noble Nobody ❯ Chapter 2: Heartless ( Chapter 2 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Author's Note: For those of you who bothered to read my fan fiction, Thank You. But, please review, so that I can at least get some feedback on how well or poorly I am writing. Cheers ~ ChronoAlarm
 
Chapter 2: Heartless
 
Leo slept all night on a makeshift bed provided by the two nice people he had met. When he settled down for the night the one called Yuffie seemed extra protective of him for some reason, she kept checking up on him and making sure that he stayed in the blanket.
 
Leo's dreams were the usual ones he had, some of them about some strange place called Destiny Islands. In them there was a strange boy who looked a lot like him, he had memories of them playing together and laughing. Then he saw flashes of a beautiful girl, her name escaped him but he knew it started with a K.
 
Then there was a flash of pain and suffering, of his brother being ripped from his arms and of him losing his friends in a flash of darkness and energy. Everything flew away and he was left floating in the darkness. He awoke again in the night, he was sweating but he wasn't sure of the reason why, they were just dreams weren't they?
 
As he turned on his side away from the light coming from the hallway that led to the room Leo thought that those dreams couldn't be real. After all they seemed far different from the real memories that he had. In those he knew they were real because they happened to him directly, one in particular came to his mind.
 
He was walking through the market place of the Hollow Bastion, as he walked down the street there was a sudden cry as a wagon filled with some weapons started flying down the street. It was careening out of control and headed toward a group of young children, they started screaming for help but nobody could get to them in time.
 
Leo found himself moving to the children he managed to make it to them just in time for him to reach out and grab them. But as he did so the wagon was upon them and the deadly weapons were flying out of it. Suddenly underneath the children and Leo a bunch of weeds shot up and around them forming a barrier between them and the out of control wagon. The wagon slammed to a stop as the blades of the axes and swords became embedded in the wooden wall. The girl in Leo's arms was still sniffing trying hard to calm herself the boy however, was staring up at Leo in wonder.
 
The rest of the marketplace seemed to follow the boy's lead of staring at the strange man who seemed to have the ability to control plants. The boy and girl's mothers ran up to them causing Leo to let them go as they ran for safety. The women looked to the teen in appreciation but seemed unable to voice it in the shock of seeing the boy up close.
 
Leo watched as the women lead the children away, he felt a somewhat strange feeling as they hugged and kissed their children. But then he couldn't know what it really was anymore. He continued on his way through the marketplace several people parted from him as if he were a diseased individual. Leo didn't mind or care for the stares that he received from those around him.
 
Leo was sure that that was a memory; it was so sharp, different from his dreams which seemed to have something about them that made it so fuzzy.
 
Leo felt himself drift off back to sleep and awoke once again as he felt the sunshine beaming down on his closed eyes. He groaned as he stretched feeling his back pop from the slightly uncomfortable bed. As he yawned his nose was greeted by a pleasant smell coming from some other room in the house. Leo picked himself up and found that his clothes had still not dried from the night before.
 
Wondering if he had not ruined the couch that he had spent the night on Leo began walking toward the wonderful smell that was permeating the entire house. When he arrived at the source he was greeted by a cheery, “good morning!” from the woman who had brought him into the house earlier. She was enjoying what looked like a bunch of strange fruits and pancakes. Cid was sitting off to the side holding up a newspaper, on the cover was a front page news article about some one named King Mickey and there was also a picture of a group of heartless underneath it.
 
Leo was surprised to see even more people present at the kitchen table. There was a woman standing off to the side looking after several of the pancakes. She's kinda pretty was the thought that passed through the young man's mind. The woman was wearing a pink dress with her long brown hair done up in a sort of pony tail. There was another man in the room as well but he was wearing a white shirt with a black overcoat and black boots. His brown hair was spiked up and he fixed the young Leo with his piercing blue eyes. Leo's brown eyes also took in the scar that ran diagonally across the man's face.
 
“Well hello there!” said the woman with the pink dress, she motioned for Leo to sit, “So you must be the one that Yuffie was telling us about earlier.” Leo heard this statement but could only nod his head as he sat down at the table. The man with the scar continued to study the young man as if he were viewing a strange specimen, “Leon, it's not polite to stare,” scolded the young woman as she finished up the pancakes and set down a plate in front of both Leo and the one named Leon.
 
Leon scoffed at the statement, “you don't criticize Cloud when he goes off into his little world.” “Well Cloud has a lot more on his mind than you do Leon,” explained the young woman from before. “My name is Aerith,” explained the pink dressed woman as she sat down at the table and smiled at the young man. “Hello,” said the Leo calmly, “my name is…” “We know what your name is, what we want to know is why you came here nobody.” Interrupted Leon coldly as he stared at the Nobody, “Ow!” he cried as Yuffie punched him in the head. “Leon quit being so crass, he's just a kid!” “He's the enemy Yuffie,” said Cid as he folded over the newspaper and stared at the hyperactive ninja, “we were almost killed by his kind.”
 
“That doesn't mean that they are all the same Cid!” said Aerith a little crossly, “even you said that the kid was different from the other nobodies. Plus, I heard that Roxas and Axel weren't all that bad remember?”
 
The name Roxas seemed to pierce through Leo's mind and for a second he felt his breath become short. What was going on?
 
“You ok kid?” said Yuffie worriedly as she noticed the young man's eyes seemed to have gone slightly wild. Leo recovered quickly and said, “No, it's nothing.” The young nobody then began to dig heartily into the large breakfast as Leon gave the kid another once over before he began his meal as well.
 
~few hours later
 
Leo was standing outside the house as he looked back at the kind people who had taken him in. Leo told the others that he “must make his way in order to find a home,” Aerith and Yuffie seemed to be adamant in that he should stay a little longer. Cid and Leon were all to glad to let the young nobody be on his way and so Leo found himself leaving these nice people. He waved goodbye to them and began to walk down the street when suddenly loud screams could be heard coming from the vicinity of the town.
 
Looking to one another the ones within the house heard the screams and in one voice said, “Heartless!” They then went back inside the house to fetch their weapons and then tore out once again to begin the fight. Leo watched in rather shock at the speed of which his supporters moved out, suddenly he found himself chasing after them.
 
The five suddenly emerged on the end of the steps that overlooked the town; it was completely covered in heartless. People were racing away from the dark monsters that suddenly covered their once peaceful town. “What's going on? I thought that Sora had sealed away the heartless,” said Yuffie as she looked over the city. “Does it matter? They are now here and we have to stop them,” explained Leon as he gripped his gunblade.
 
The four warriors tore off and began their onslaught of the mass of heartless than now littered the street. Cid was fending off several heartless by swinging his spear to take out several of the heartless which disappeared in flashes of dark smoke. Yuffie swung her large Shuriken which took out several of the heartless in a row, as the blade came back around she turned and flung several kunai knifes into the flying heartless that filled the air. Aerith was concentrating her energy and then holding up her hand lightening bolts struck the ground around her causing several more heartless to exploded into flashes of smoke.
 
Leon was slicing and dicing his way through more and more heartless as he took time between his swings to fire off the shots from his gunblade and take out more of the heartless. But no matter how many heartless the warriors took out it seemed two more came and took their place.
 
Cid came to a halt as his used his Spear's shaft to hold back the attacks coming from several heartless at once. “There's too many of them!” cried Cid as he slammed the spear's shaft into the heartless causing them to let go so that he could slash them into oblivion. “We just need to find the source!” cried out Leon as he took several more shots at the heartless that gathered around him.
 
Suddenly the heartless stopped their attack, the warriors suddenly found themselves completely surrounded on all sides. “What are they waiting on?” asked Aerith as she stood panting along with the others.
 
Suddenly Leo stepped down off the top of the steps and landed gently down on the ground on even with the other warriors. He then began walking toward the group calmly as the Heartless parted from him as if in reverence. The young nobody made his way to the group who stood panting before him. Leo suddenly came to a halt before them. “What is going on Leo?” questioned Yuffie as she looked at the young man questioningly. “Isn't it obvious?” said Leon with his teeth gritted in anger, “they are working for him and he was waiting to take advantage of us.”
 
“Leo, it's not true is it?” said Aerith looking at the man her face a mask of hurt and anger. Suddenly the young man held out his hands, several shoots came out of his sleeves and came down forming around his arms and hands. Suddenly two very large blades popped out of the shoots and then the rest of the plant-like shoots fell off. Leo was now standing before the group of warriors with two blades gleaming in his hands. The group collectively formed together in preparation from his attack.
 
Leo then brought the blades up and swung them, right into a heartless next to him. The blades cut through the heartless and the force of the attack caused an explosion causing several heartless in the vicinity to disappear as well.
 
“Come on!” cried Leo as he motioned for the warriors to follow him through the path he had created in the sea of heartless. The warriors looked to him in confusion until Yuffie ran out first and screamed to the others to follow her. The warriors took off trying to destroy the heartless that were now trying to close in on them. Yuffie, Cid, Leon, and Aerith managed to fight their way into a narrow alley way that Leo had pointed out.
 
The heartless saw their advantage and began to press forward into the alley way after them, and then Leo jumped between the heartless and the group of warriors. The heartless came to a stop as Leo raised his blade up and a wall of thorns separated the heartless from their prey. It was just now the heartless and the rouge nobody. Leo rose up his blade just as the heartless descended upon their new prey.
 
~Other side of the wall
 
“Leo!” cried Yuffie as she started striking the thorny wall with her large shuriken blade. The sound of an intense battle could be heard through the large wall, Yuffie cried out again and slammed her blade hard into the wall. It became embedded and struggling with all her strength the young ninja could not remove it from the wall. Aerith came over to the young ninja and placed her hand on her shoulder. Yuffie slumped over began to cry for the young man who she now thought was dead.
 
Aerith then looked angrily over to the two men who now were staring at the wall before them. “See what he did?!” cried Aerith angrily as she pointed at the wall before them, “he protected us, he made sure that we weren't hurt. And you thought that he was going to turn on us!” cried the woman as the two men then looked down in shame. “He sacrificed himself for you and you couldn't even have the decency to believe in him!” cried Aerith causing the two men to look even more down than before.
 
“We…we thought that he was going to turn on us, I mean he is a Nobody after all,” said Cid scratching the back of his head in shame. Suddenly the four of them heard a massive explosion from the other side of the barrier, the four looked in shock fearing the worst of their new friend.
 
Suddenly the wall fell away and the four were presented with a strange sight, Leo was in a kneeling position holding hard onto his blades which were embedded into the ground. The young man was panting, cuts were all over his body and he was bleeding profusely. It was the area around him that sent his companions into the shock however, the entire area was seemingly converted into a forest of thorns and branches. The smoke from the defeated heartless still covered the air causing the place to look as if it was a primordial forest. The trunk sized roots and body sized thorns had torn apart the street and shredded the buildings surrounding the area, a surreal look to say the least.
 
Yuffie suddenly hurried forward pausing briefly to pick up her Shuriken blade that had fallen out of the wall when it had retreated. She came over to Leo and grabbed him looking at his cuts and bruises, “My god Leo!” cried the young ninja.
 
“I've had worse,” said the young nobody his right eye closed from the pain. “Are you guys alright?” “Yes, and thanks to you we were able to defeat the Heartless,” explained Aerith with a smile, “right guys?” she added with a fierce grin at the two men behind her.
 
“Why did you do this kid?” asked Cid who was then immediately punched in the arm by Aerith, “Ouch!” “Yea,” said Leon calmly as he gazed at the young man, “what was in it for you?”
 
“You guys took me in and fed me, I felt like I owe you,” explained the young man with still no emotion in his voice. “I don't really like being in debt too much, so if you don't mind…” said the young man as he pulled his blades out of the ground. “I'll just be on my way.”
 
He suddenly felt himself stop when Yuffie put a hand on his back, “where do you think you are going?” asked the young ninja with a smile. “I seem to remember you telling us something about wanting to find a home right?” said the one named Aerith. “Why don't you come and live with us for awhile.” Leo sighed and looked to the side with his left eye, the right one still tightly shut in pain. “Besides we need to treat those wounds,” explained Yuffie as she grabbed the young man's arm. Leo looked up in surprise at the touch, “I couldn't impose…”
 
“Nonsense!” said Aerith lightly, “we don't mind at all…right?” she said this as she stared pointedly at the two guys. Leon and Cid looked at each other and sighed, “Right,” they replied with a sigh. They new better than to push Aerith when she was angry…
 
“Then it's settled!” said Aerith brightly as she clapped her hands together, “welcome to the Burrow, Leo!”
 
Leo smiled in a somewhat shy manner, “thank you.” As he said this statement Yuffie smiled and then pulled the young man off, “come on let's get your wounds treated.” “Alright,” stuttered the young nobody as he was dragged off to the house.
 
Cid turned to Leon, “this attack shouldn't have happened if Sora did seal off Hollow Bastion, could this mean the Keyblade's seal has weakened?” “Your guess is as good as mine,” said Leon with a sigh as he stepped forward to follow after the girls, he stopped suddenly next to Cid to look at him out of the corner of his eye. “But we definitely need to see the king nonetheless, he told us to report if anything like this would happen.” Cid nodded as Leon continued on his way back to the home base, “But what is he going to say when he meets Leo?” wondered Cid as he took out his bent cigarette and flipped it into a nearby gutter; the pilot then followed after Leon back to the house.