Kingdom Hearts Fan Fiction ❯ Re: Kingdom Hearts ❯ Destiny of the Heart ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 1: Destiny of the Heart
 
Feet raced across the sands of the beach on Destiny Island. Three young kids, two boys and a girl ran toward an elevated cliff not too far away. One boy, wearing a white and red shirt, red shorts, and yellow sneakers, with brown spikey hair, slipped and fell to the sand with a thud. The other boy and girl turned back. The girl, wearing a white tank top and a blue skirt, with short, dark hair turned back. "Come on, Sora!" she called to him.
 
The other boy, a slightly taller boy with long silver hair, a yellow tank top, and baggy blue pants called back as well, "Sora, you dope! Hurry up!"
 
The girl turned back to the silver haired boy. "That's not very nice, Riku!" she said to him.
 
He rolled his eyes and began making his way toward the cliff by himself. Sora picked himself up and ran over to the girl. He caught up with her and they began walking to catch up with Riku. "Thanks for waiting, Kairi." Sora said, smiling.
 
All three of them met up on top of the cliff, where a large palm tree hung low. For years this trio would use this tree almost like a couch, sitting and watching the horizon and wondering about the world around them. None of them had ever left Destiny Island. Sora looked across the vast ocean.
 
"I wish we could go out and see the world." he said to the others.
 
"Then why don't you do it?" Riku replied.
 
Sora looked over at Riku. "I guess I'm not ready to leave this place. I've lived here my whole life. Fourteen years here. My heart is still with this place." Sora turned his gaze back to the horizon.
 
"Well," Kairi spoke up, "What if it's your heart's destiny to leave this place? What if you're supposed to leave?"
 
"Do you really think the heart has anything to do with destiny?" Riku asked. "I don't think the heart, or myself, has a destiny. It's what you make it. What do you think, Sora?"
 
Sora thought for a minute. He closed his eyes. "I guess.... I guess I don't know what I think. I don't know if the heart has a destiny or not." he confessed.
 
"What a dumb answer!" Riku laughed.
 
"Riku!" Kairi said, pushing him against the arm.
 
"What's that supposed to mean?" Sora asked.
 
Riku leapt of the tree. He strode over to the other side of the cliff. "All I'm saying is my answer was way better. At least I have an idea of what to think. That's just one more thing I'm better at than you!" Riku laughed.
 
Sora lowered himself from the tree as well. "Hey, I'm just as good at anything!" he replied.
 
"Oh really? Prove it!" Riku said, brushing him off.
 
Sora looked around. His eyes trailed two long, wooden sticks on the ground. He picked them up, tossing one to Riku. "I bet I could beat you in a sword fight!" Sora challenged him.
 
"A sword fight? I'd wipe the floor with you!" Riku called out.
 
Sora jumped forward, swinging the stick at his opponent. Riku held up his stick to block and then jumped back. He leapt forward, swiping back. The sticks clack against each other and the two "sword fought." Sora backed up slightly, as Riku's attacks became more erratic and aggressive. Sora could only defend as Riku attacked left and right. His stick clacked hard against Sora's.
 
Sora's foot slipped from being constantly pushed. His guard fell and Riku swung hard. The stick cracked Sora across the face, sending him tumbling back. Sora sat up quickly. Kairi jumped off the tree and ran over to the boys. "Riku! Stop! That's enough!" she yelled.
 
Sora put his hand back, stopping her. "I'm fine, Kairi." he said.
 
He pulled himself up and ran at Riku. The silver boy guarded, but Sora slid lower. Sora swung his stick, slamming into Riku's stomach. He fell back, trying to guard. Sora kept up his attack. Riku regained his composure and began to fight back as well. Their sticks clacked over and over and the fought over who would be the best at this contest. Both had done this many times, and had developed strong forms of fighting.
 
The fight carried on as they moved around the cliff and made their way onto a wooden bridge connected to it. Every so often, they would land hits on each other. After a long and tiring battle, they both backed away from each other. Sora looked into Riku's eyes, and Riku looked into Sora's. Almost at the same time, they cast away their sticks. Riku, breathing heavily, turned and walked away. "I'm better at everything else!" he yelled back.
 
Sora fell back to a sitting position on the bridge. He panted from the long and strenuous fight. Kairi walked over to him. "Are you alright?" she asked.
 
"Yeah. I'm fine." Sora said, standing up.
 
He walked back to the cliff and sat back on the tree, looking out into the horizon. The sun was setting, making the sky turn an orange glow. Kairi returned and sat next to him. She looked across the waters. "You know," she said, "I'm not really sure about the destiny of the heart either. I thought your answer was fine."
Sora kept his gaze on the sunset. He smiled. "Thanks, Kairi."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~`
 
The following morning, Sora was on the beach again, laying in the sand. Kairi and Riku walked over to him and sat down. Sora sat up and turned to them. "So.... what do you guys want to do today?" he asked.
 
Riku opened his mouth to speak, but just as he formed a word, Kairi's voice cut him off. "Look!" she said loudly, pointing out to the ocean.
 
Sora and Riku looked out and saw a boat speeding toward the beach. It had a sail and a man was sitting in it. The boat pushed up onto the sand and the man stepped out. He had mid-length blonde hair and dark clothing. With a smile he greeted the three kids. "Hey, there! My name's Tidus. Is there anywhere around here I can get a bite to eat?" he said.
 
Sora, Riku, Kairi, and Tidus sat in Kairi's house. She had given Tidus some food to eat while Sora and Riku talked with him. "So where are you from?" Sora asked.
 
"I'm from Zanarkand. I'm heading over to Traverse Town." he said, stuffing his mouth.
 
"Where's that?" Riku asked.
 
Tidus swallowed a mouthful of food. "It's not far away. About a day's trip on boat from here and another three days walking once you hit the main land. I'm heading over there to compete."
 
"Compete in what?" Riku questioned.
 
"It's a fighting tournament. All the best warriors are going to be there." Tidus said.
 
Sora and Riku looked at each other, both filling with excitement. "When is it?" Sora asked.
 
"In about a week and a half. I'm going to head back out to see really soon." Tidus said.
 
"Maybe we could enter it!" Sora said happily.
 
"Are you serious? The guys are the toughest of the tough. You won't make it." Tidus said.
 
"We're stronger than we look." Riku replied.
 
"Well then, best of luck to you!" Tidus said. He finished up the meal, thanked Kairi and the boys and then headed back onto the tournament.
 
Riku approached Sora. "So what do you think?"
"I don't know. It sounds awesome. But I don't know if I could leave here." Sora said quietly.
 
Riku walked out to the beach. It was getting late. The sun was setting again, making the sky the same orange tint. "I need to get away from this island. I need to get out there." he said.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~
 
Sora woke up the next day, around noon, and got dressed. He made his way to the beach and met up with Kairi. They sat and waited for Riku, but he never showed up. Sora looked around. "Maybe we should go look for him..." he said.
 
He and Kairi ventured around Destiny Island looking for Riku, but to no avail. Finally, they stopped by Riku's house. Next to the door was an envelope. Sora opened it and pulled out a letter. He unfolded it and read what it said. His eyes widened. "It's from Riku!" His eyes traced the page.
 
Sora,
 
I need to get away from the island. I need to be free and make my life better than it is now. I'm heading for the tournament in Traverse Town. I left this morning. My heart is telling me that this is the right thing to do. So, whether or not you believe in the destiny of the heart or not, follow what it tells you. I don't know when I'll see you next. Just, don't leave the island for me. Do what your heart tells you.
 
-Riku.
 
Sora looked up from the paper. He turned to Kairi. "I'm going to that tournament. Riku's right. I should do what my heart tells me. And it's telling me to go and travel around the world. I'm going to go and compete in that tournament!"
 
"I'm going with you!" Kairi announced.
 
Together, Sora and Kairi obtained a boat and set off for Traverse Town. Sora felt a freedom rushing through him as he left Destiny Island. He knew in his heart, what he was doing was right. His adventure had begun.