Kingdom Hearts Fan Fiction ❯ Re: Kingdom Hearts ❯ Keyblades and Heartless ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 2: Keyblades and the Heartless
 
The boat docked on a small shore line. Sora and Kairi had spent the past two days sailing over the ocean. They had left their home of Destiny Island to go to a huge tournament. Sora had made the decision to follow what his heart told him. He walked across the small beach which lead to a dirt road, stretching across green, grassy hills. He turned back to Kairi.
 
"Tidus said it would be a few days from here. Good thing we packed some supplies." Sora said.
 
"Yeah! This'll be fun!" Kairi laughed.
 
They grabbed their bags and began walking along the path. Their walk soon built into a stride, and soon, they were running. Sora felt so energized. They ran for hours across the vast fields. Finally, Sora spotted a familiar sight. It was a boy with long, silver hair. He called out across the field. "Riku! Hey, Riku!" he yelled.
 
Sora and Kairi ran toward him. He continued walking along, having not heard them. As they got closer, Sora called to him again. "Riku! It's us! Sora and Kairi!"
 
This message was heard. Riku stopped walking and turned around. He smiled as his friends approached. They caught up with Riku and the three walked along the way together. Riku looked at Sora's gear. "Um, Sora, where's your weapon?" he asked.
 
"What?" Sora asked, confused.
 
"Your weapon? You need a weapon to enter the tournament." Riku explained.
 
"I hadn't even thought about that..." Sora said. He walked to the side of the road and picked up a long stick. "I guess I'll use this." he said, swinging it around.
 
Riku shook his head and laughed. "That's not what I mean! You need a real weapon, you dope!" he gave Sora a light tap on the back of the head.
 
Sora looked at the stick and then to Riku. He saw that Riku was also unarmed. "Well, what about you? You have no weapon, either!" Sora accused him.
 
"Yeah! What are you going to do?" Kairi asked.
 
Riku stopped in place. He held his hand out in front of himself. Slowly, a dark fog began forming around his hand. Sora and Kairi watched in amazement as the fog grew and spiraled before forming into a horrid looking sword. It gave the appearance of a demon's wing with an eye in the hilt. Riku looked at it up and down.
 
Sora took a step toward him. "Riku, what is that?" he asked.
 
Riku looked at it, seemingly mesmerized. "Soul Eater." he said quietly.
"Soul Eater? What's that?" Kairi asked.
 
Riku looked at the others. "I met a man a few days ago. He was wearing a dark hood. He gave me this blade. He called it Soul Eater. He said that I would want to use it if I wanted to win the tournament." Riku explained.
 
"That thing looks dangerous." Sora murmured.
 
"Of course it's dangerous. It's a sword. I'm sure to win the tournament with it." Riku said, his voice growing slightly deep.
 
The eye in the hilt began to glow a feint aura. A strange rippling sound came from all around the trio. Sora turned and saw clouds of the same black and dark violet aura forming. From these clouds came dark figures. They stood around three feet tall and were purple and black with yellow eyes. Riku and Sora drew their weapons and ran at the invaders.
 
Riku swung the Soul Eater, cutting through two creatures. The vanquished foes disappeared into another dark cloud. Sora swung the stick, but it only passed through the creatures. He couldn't defend himself as they began to pounce on him. several more appeared and moved toward Kairi. Riku turned and ran toward her. With a few well placed slashes, he cleared all the monsters away from Kairi. He turned to Sora, who was slowly being crushed by a large pile of the monsters.
 
Riku ran toward the swarm of monsters. As he grew close, there came a shining light from the pile. It broke through the monsters and shone brighter that anything Riku had ever seen before. As the light passed him, he felt a stabbing pain. Riku turned away as the pile of monsters exploded, leaving Sora standing there. He was holding a weapon that resembled a large silver key with a gold handle.
 
Sora looked to his hand and was shocked at the weapon that had replaced his stick. "Wha- what is this?" he thought aloud.
 
He turned to Riku and Kairi with the sword in his hand. "Riku, Kairi, check this-" he stopped short.
 
Kairi looked at him strangely, then followed his eye line to her hand. She, too, was holding a weapon. It was strikingly similar to Sora's, but with a different color and a floral design instead of a key shape. "What's this?" she asked.
 
Sora looked at his weapon in amazement. He could feel the power coming off of it. Then, in a flash of white light, the sword disappeared. Sora was dumbfounded. Kairi's followed soon after. Riku allowed Soul Eater to disappear as well. When the tension died down, the trio decided to continue walking.
 
"Well, that was strange, wasn't it?" Riku asked.
 
"Yeah. Definitely." Sora answered him.
 
After hours of walking, they figured they'd set up camp for the night. It was only just before sunset, but they were exhausted. While they set up camp, something caught their attention. More dark clouds appeared around the camp. Sora stood up from where he was sitting and looked around.
 
"Oh! Not these guys again!" he said.
 
Sora caught a bright flash in the corner of his eyes and the weapon flashed into his hand. He drew the sword and charged at the monsters. Riku summoned Soul Eater and charged the ones nearest to him. Kairi found her weapon had returned and joined the boys in cutting down the monsters. Sora hacked away at them, but they seemed to keep spawning all around them. He was growing tired and low on energy. As more and more of the small monsters showed up, the three warriors were forced into the center of their camp.
 
The monsters closed in. Suddenly, a light surrounded them and the sounds of slashing were heard all around. When the light faded, all the monsters were gone. There, in front of them, stood a man with dark blue clothes and spikey blonde hair. He held an enormous sword with one hand as if it was amazingly light.
 
Sora stepped forward. He looked at the man. "Did you save us?" he asked.
 
The man simply nodded. Kairi stepped forward with Sora. "What's your name?" she asked.
 
The man looked at them for a moment before finally speaking. "Cloud. Cloud Strife." he said.
 
"Well, thanks, Cloud." Sora said. "I don't know how we would have defeated those....um..." Sora began to trail off, not knowing what to call them.
 
"Heartless." Cloud said.
 
"What?" Riku jumped in.
 
"The monsters you were fighting. They're called Heartless. And they're bad news." Cloud explained.
 
"Heartless? How strange..." Sora said quietly. "Why do they keep attacking us?" Sora added.
 
"Not sure. I've never seen them pounce on a some kids like that." Cloud said.
 
Sora, Kairi, and Riku sat down. "Would you like to join us?" Kairi asked.
 
Cloud looked away for a moment. He took a few steps back. "Actually, I might be going now." he said.
 
Cloud departed from the trio. Sora hoped he would see Cloud soon again. The three kids went to sleep as the sun finally dipped away. However, only a few hours later, Sora awoke. He sat up, rubbing his eyes. He had no idea why he was awake. Standing up, he began walking through the grassy field. It was dark, but the light of the moon gave some visibility. Sora felt a presence nearby. He turned around quickly.
 
In front of Sora stood a tall man in a black coat and a hood. "Who are you?" Sora called out.
 
The man took a step forward. As he did, Sora felt the weapon appear in his hand. He took a stance and put up his guard. The man made no more movements. "I am of no concern for you, right now, Keyblade Master." he said in a deep voice.
 
"Key- what?" Sora asked.
 
The man held up his hand, pointing at the weapon. "You hold one of the Keyblades. Only certain people can wield such a weapon. There are many Keyblades. Yours is the Kingdom Key." the man explained.
 
Sora gripped the Keyblade tighter. "What do you want with me? Why are you telling me this?" Sora yelled.
 
"I need nothing from you except that you continue to slay the Heartless with that amazing weapon." the man ordered as he disappeared into a dark cloud.
 
Sora looked around for the man, but found nothing. He released the Keyblade as it fanished into light. Sora returned to the camp site and fell back asleep.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
 
The following morning, Sora and the other woke up, gathered their stuff and set off back down the road. Kairi extended her hand and watched as her weapon appeared. She looked at it carefully. "I wish I knew what to call this thing." Kairi said.
 
Sora looked at her, then to Riku, then to the sky. He spoke softly. "Keyblade."