Kyou Kara Maou Fan Fiction ❯ Fires Within ❯ Fires Within ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Fires Within 2
By: sage_libra
Pairing: Yuuram
Genre: Romance/Angst
Rating: PG-13 (may change)
 
Disclaimer: Don't own them. Wish I did. Hehe.
 
 
Two weeks.
 
Two weeks of near-serenity in the castle, of Wolfram not once losing his temper or raising his voice, of not having his fiancé declaring his rights at the drop of a hat, of having his bed all to himself, and Yuuri was beginning to go stir-crazy.
 
On one hand he knew he should be glad that Wolfram was being amazingly even-tempered. He knew he should be relieved that the blond prince was no longer bothering him day and night. In fact, Wolfram had put all his energy into training the soldiers and helping in the running of the kingdom that Yuuri never could seem to pin the soldier down to a private conversation. He was always off patrolling, training, or speaking to one dignitary or the other. He even skipped mealtimes, preferring to eat in his room or a sandwich while poring over endless reams of documents in the library.
 
Günter was thrilled that the young noble had suddenly turned into a responsible nobleman.
 
Gwendal was relieved that his youngest brother seemed to have outgrown his temperamental ways.
 
And Yuuri…
 
Yuuri knew he should be dancing with glee. But he wasn't. All he felt was an overwhelming sense of loss.
 
What were the odds, he thought morosely, that an alien had taken over his fiancé? Because no matter how he looked at the calm and downright amicable boy who sometimes deigned to join him during mealtimes, he could find no trace of the prince he had come to - know.
 
Yuuri would never admit it out loud, but he missed the mercurial prince. More than he thought was possible.
 
The only consolation in the whole situation was that he wasn't the only who found Wolfram's sudden change disturbing.
 
Wolfram was too calm. Too even-tempered. Too cooperative.
 
“You feel it too, don't you?” A quiet voice broke into his thoughts.
 
Yuuri glanced up from the page he had been trying to read for the last hour to meet Conrad's worried gaze. With a sigh, he gave up the pretence and put the book down.
 
“Yeah.” There was no need to elaborate. He bit his lip. “Has he ever acted like this before?” He asked hopefully. Maybe Wolfram had these Jekyll and Hyde episodes and one day they'd wake up and he'd be back to normal?
 
Conrad shook his head. “Even when he was a child Wolfram could never learn to contain his feelings. He felt things too deeply, whether it's joy, anger, or sorrow. His passion is as intrinsic to him as your optimism is to you. Without it he wouldn't be who he is.”
 
And, in a nutshell, that was exactly what was wrong with his fiancé. This Wolfram was all wrong because he had none of the fire and passion that had characterized him in the past.
 
“So what happened to him?” Yuuri burst out, flinging himself out of his chair and beginning to pace. “One day he's breathing down my neck and the next he's cold as ice! I - “ he swallowed past the lump in his throat. “I don't like it.” He whispered.
 
Conrad let out a deep breath. While it gratified him to see that Yuuri did care about his youngest brother, the knowledge did little to ease his concern over the sudden change that had come over Wolfram.
 
“Maybe he realized that all his ranting and jealousy wasn't doing your relationship any good.” He theorized. “Maybe he's really trying to change for the better.”
 
“I didn't ask him to change!” Yuuri protested.
 
“But you couldn't stand his jealousy and rages.” Conrad pointed out. “Everyone knows that.”
 
Yuuri opened his mouth to challenge the claim, then closed it again as the truth shamed him. Conrad was right, he had always been very vocal about his feelings about the engagement, and even moreso where Wolfram's jealousy was concerned.
 
“But still,” Conrad conceded, “this sudden turnabout is a cause for concern.” He gazed at his king for a long moment. “You should talk to him.”
 
“Me?” Yuuri squeaked.
 
Conrad nodded. “You're the reason he's undergoing these changes. You're the only one who can persuade him that it's unnecessary.” If you want him to, was the thought left unsaid.
 
Yuuri contemplated the floor with a deep frown. In fact he had planned to talk to Wolfram immediately after their last fight. But Wolfram's sudden change had blindsided him. And now he could barely catch a glimpse of the very busy prince! A thought struck him, and he couldn't contain the flash of pain that speared through him.
 
“Is it possible that he's simply lost interest in our engagement, and that's why he no longer flies into these rages?” He queried uncertainly. After all, if Wolfram no longer feels anything for him, what would he be jealous of?
 
But Conrad was already shaking his head. “It isn't just you, Heika,” he pointed out, “He hasn't lost his temper at anyone in two weeks, not even when an idiot for a trainee nearly skewered his during practice. It's unnatural.”
 
Yuuri bit his lip. “You really think he'd listen to me?”
 
Conrad smiled. “You're his betrothed. Of course he will.” The smile widened. “At worst, as the Maou you can order him to listen.”
 
-o0o-
 
Order him to listen. Yeah right.
 
Yuuri shifted uncomfortably as he waited for Wolfram in his study. He'd summoned the prince immediately after his conversation with Conrad, honestly scared that he'd lose his nerve if he delayed any longer.
 
“You called for me, Heika?”
 
Right voice, wrong tone. And Yuuri knew, really knew, at that point, that he could not take much more of it. Because there was something fundamentally wrong about Wolfram calling him Heika instead of wimp. And the formality made him want to break something. Anything.
 
This was wrong. So damnably wrong.
 
“Why do you call me that?” He hadn't meant to sound so angry, but he couldn't deny it. He was angry.
 
Wolfram eyed him with a slight frown, taken aback by his testy tone. “Because that is what you are.” He pointed out carefully.
 
“Not to you.” Yuuri whispered in a voice that ached. “You've never called me that before.”
 
A shrug. “I was wrong.”
 
No, you weren't! Yuuri wanted to shout, but he clamped down on the words with a monumental effort. He drew a deep breath, fighting not to lose control and just shake Wolfram until the real one came back.
 
“I'm sorry.” He got out finally.
 
“For what?”
 
Yuuri stared at the other boy, trying to convey his remorse and regret with his eyes. “I shouldn't have said those things. I didn't mean to hurt you.”
 
“Yes you did.” Wolfram countered matter-of-factly. “You don't have to spare my feelings, Heika. I know I had angered you with my unforgivable rudeness. You simply retaliated.” He paused, then added as an afterthought. “I suppose you could say we're even.”
 
Yuuri bit his lip. At this point he would much rather have a Wolfram biting his head off rather than calmly agreeing with him.
 
“You've been - different - lately.” He said finally.
 
Wolfram nodded, waiting.
 
“You've been sleeping in your room.” Yuuri couldn't prevent the color from rising to his cheeks.
 
“Ah.” Wolfram's cheeks colored. “I realized that Günter was right. I have been acting presumptuously. An engagement does not give me the right to sleep in your bed. I should not have imposed upon you that way, especially when I knew you were uncomfortable with the situation.” He bowed low. “I'm sorry for having acted so thoughtlessly.”
 
Yuuri was at sea. Totally lost. How was it possible, he thought with dawning sorrow, that he could have lost the very thing he had not wanted in the first place? How was it that now that it was gone, he yearned for it with a fierceness that threatened to tear him apart?
 
“Heika?” Wolfram frowned with concern at his sudden pallor. “Is something wrong?”
 
Everything was wrong, Yuuri wanted to shout the words so badly he could feel his jaws cramping with the effort not to. I don't like it that you won't look at me the way you used to, that you won't care about me the way you did before, and that you won't even be near me the way you used to!
 
“I just want you to be the way you used to be,” he got out finally, risking a look at his fiance's face and feeling his heart sink at the genuine bewilderment he saw there.
 
“But you don't like the way I used to be.” Wolfram reminded him with puzzled honesty.
 
“That's not true!” Yuuri protested hotly.
 
“Oh really?” Wolfram cocked his head with interest. “What part of me did you like? The part that hurled wild accusations every other day or the one that rained insults at you every other hour?”
 
Yuuri stared at him. How could he tell the other boy that yes, he did miss those very things. That he missed everything about his irrational, mercurial, unpredictable fiancé!
 
Wolfram lifted a hand to massage his forehead. “Heika, I realize that you're trying to be nice.” His tone was low. Weary. “You don't have to try to make me feel better.” He shrugged, “I know you didn't mean for us to get engaged. That it was an accident. Nevertheless, it is done now, and until you decide to break the engagement we are stuck with each other.” The green eyes lifted to pin him. “I won't deny that in the past I have been unreasonable. However, I realize now that this whole mess isn't really your fault.” He took a deep breath. “I promise you that you will no longer have to bear with my unwarranted jealousies and temper tantrums. I was wrong to treat you that way and I will change. And if you decide to end it I want you to know that I will respect your decision. I have not forgotten my promise to you. I will remain loyal no matter what.”
 
Yuuri listened to his words, and it was like listening to a stranger. This was not Wolfram. This beautiful, humble, loyal soldier was not his Wolfram.
 
“What happened to you?” The words were torn from him.
 
“I grew up.” Wolfram stated simply. He frowned slightly. “I thought you would be glad.”
 
Glad? To have the boy he had grown to love turn into someone he barely even recognized?
 
…the boy he had grown to love…
 
“Heika?” Concern deepened in the dulcet tones.
 
“Stop calling me that!” Yuuri exploded, unable to take any more. “Just stop it! Stopitstopitstopit!” He staggered back, away from the source of the pain that wrenched at his heart.
 
Wolfram gazed at him, aware that somehow he had upset his fiancé - again - and not knowing how to appease him. The throbbing in his head that had begun shortly into the interview was now a painful drumming.
 
“Do you want me to call Conrad?” He offered finally. His brother had always been able to calm Yuuri down. Maybe he was the better choice for a companion at the moment.
 
Yuuri stared at him, at a loss. He had never thought to see the day that Wolfram would willingly step aside for his brother. I want you. “No,” he whispered brokenly, “Just - go.”
 
Wolfram stared at him uncertainly. “I'm sorry if I've upset you.” It seemed the only appropriate response.
 
“GO!” Yuuri stared at the closed door long after Wolfram had left, wondering at the irony of it all. Just when he's realized how he truly felt about the blond prince, the latter changed into someone he thinks Yuuri can love.
 
/Wolf/
 
-o0o-
 
Wolfram was near staggering by the time he reached Gisela's room. Barely able to see past the blinding pain, he all but hammered on the door.
 
“What the - Lord Wolfram!”
 
Wolfram allowed the girl to help him into the room and into a chair.
 
“Please - close the door.” He got out through gritted teeth. He did not want anyone to see him so weak.
 
“What's wrong with you?” Gisela asked worriedly the moment she had secured the door. Wolfram's face was pinched and white with pain, his eyes were narrow slits, and his skin was clammy.
 
“My head -” Wolfram groaned.
 
Gisela immediately laid both hands around his temple, focusing her magic to ease the blond soldier's agony. It took a while, but after a moment the pain melted away and Wolfram's body relaxed, slumping into the seat, eyes closed. The healer drew back, eyes scanning the boy critically.
 
“Better?” She queried softly.
 
Wolfram nodded, keeping his eyes closed in blessed relief.
 
“How long have you been having these headaches?” She suspected, from his manner, that it had been quite a while.
 
“On and off for the past two weeks.” Wolfram replied after a moment.
 
“And are they always this bad?” Gisela was appalled. It took quite a lot to make Wolfram admit to needing help. He would have had to have been near-agony each time!
 
“No.” Wolfram let a wry smile touch his lips. “Sometimes they're worse.” Those were the times he'd missed meals, opting to curl in his bed and suffer in silence.
 
“Lord Wolfram-” Gisela bit her lip in concern and exasperation. “You idiot! Why didn't you come to me sooner?”
 
A shrug was the only response.
 
“So why now?”
 
“Yuuri summoned me in the library. By the time the interview was over I realized that I could not make it back to my room.” Wolfram admitted quietly.
 
“Sweet Shinou…”
 
Green eyes opened to gaze at her. “Can you make it go away for good?”
 
Gisela shook her head. “Aside from these headaches, there's nothing wrong with you physically. There's nothing to cure.”
 
“So why do I feel as though someone's trying to split my head with a wooden staff?” Wolfram queried after a moment's thought. The old Wolfram would have ranted at the impossibility of being pronounced perfectly healthy when he had all but collapsed in agony a few minutes ago. But then he was no longer that person. The new Wolfram waited patiently for answers.
 
Gisela lifted her hands in a gesture of helplessness. “My lord, a headache is a way by which the body tells us it is suffering from within. It's a warning you shouldn't ignore. I can grant you temporary relief, but to make it go away you're going to have to find the source.” She took a deep breath. “Your headaches started after `the cure', didn't it? Maybe if we reverse it…”
 
Wolfram was already climbing to his feet and straightening his uniform. “That is not an acceptable solution.”
 
“But these migraines-”
 
“-are a small price to pay for peace.” Wolfram finished for her.
 
“But is that what you really want?” Gisela argued, recalling the dismay and sadness in the eyes of the people around them. People who gazed at Wolfram and sought the one they had known. People who, despite their protestations about his volatile temperament, now longed for a glimpse of it. But most of all, she recalled the desperate yearning in Yuuri's eyes whenever they alighted on the blond swordsman. The Maou had even gone to the extent consciously flirting with other people in an attempt to provoke Wolfram's now non-existent temper.
 
/Is that what you really want?/
 
Wolfram paused in the act of straightening his sleeves, contemplating the question. What he wanted. But he didn't really want anything anymore. To want something was to feel strongly about it, and he had gotten rid of those feelings two weeks ago.
 
“I wanted it enough to take the `cure', didn't I?” He countered at last, grasping at the last strong desire he recalled before he had `changed for the better'.
 
“What have I done?” Gisela whispered when Wolfram had left to attend to his duties, the enormity of what she had done finally sinking in. The `cure' was supposed to suppress his jealousies, to rein in his temper. To help him. But instead it had taken the one thing that had characterized Wolfram, and in the process turned him into an automaton.
 
It had taken his passion.
 
-o0o-