Kyou Kara Maou Fan Fiction ❯ Fires Within ❯ Fires Within ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Fires Within 3
By: sage_libra
Pairing: Yuuram
Genre: Romance/Angst
Rating: PG-13 (may change)
 
Disclaimer: Don't own them. Wish I did. Hehe.
 
 
Several days later, Gisela found herself ruing that `cure' with renewed intensity as she worked feverishly to heal Wolfram's wounds. Just that morning, Wolfram had led a squad on patrol and had met an ambush.
 
It was a minor skirmish, really, and one that the blond soldier should have been able to settle with little difficulty, especially when one takes his powerful fire magic into account. Ordinarily Wolfram could have taken them on without a problem.
 
Instead Wolfram had suffered a serious stab wound to the arm, aside from numerous cuts and bruises. Although not life-threatening, the arm injury was serious enough to warrant her full attention.
 
“You could have lost this arm, you know.” She told him grimly.
 
“I didn't.” Wolfram pointed out , shaken by the near-tragedy but still able to retain a modicum of calm. He was really not in the right frame of mind to argue the point. He was too busy replaying what had happened, trying to make sense of it.
 
His magic had failed. There was no going around it. He had summoned the fire, and it had failed him. Shock had immobilized him and his squad for a precious second, and that had given the bandits enough time to wound him. In the end though, his own skill with the sword had prevailed and he had routed them handily enough.
 
“Gisela…” He began, when a sudden commotion outside interrupted him. The door flung open and Yuuri stood there, dark eyes zeroing on his bloodied prince. Gwendal trailed closely behind him, his visage a dark cloud. Wolfram sighed inwardly. He had been hoping to present himself to his oldest brother for an accounting after cleaning up. Now Gwendal wasn't going let him brush the whole incident off.
 
“Wolfram!” Yuuri was beside him instantly, hands roaming his sore torso, his first instinct to ascertain his fiance's well-being.
 
Wolfram stiffened at the totally unexpected sensation. He could not recall Yuuri ever voluntarily or knowingly touching him so intimately. He edged away discreetly, but to his surprise Yuuri's hands simply followed. Unwilling to embarrass the king by creating a fuss, he endured the inspection with as much calm as he was capable of mustering. His eyes met Gwendal's over Yuuri's head. His heart sank. “It's just a scratch.” He said , trying, with little hope of succeeding, to trivialize the entire affair. His head was starting to hurt again, adding to his discomfort.
 
“Gisela?” Gwendal directed his eagle gaze on the healer, who sent Wolfram an apologetic look before speaking.
 
“The cut went deep, tearing muscle and flesh, and he lost a lot of blood. I've healed the wound, but he will need to rest for a day or two before resuming his duties.”
 
Gwendal's mouth tightened ominously as his eyes swiveled to his youngest brother. “A scratch?” He repeated derisively.
 
Wolfram shrugged, then winced slightly as the movement jarred his arm. Immediately Yuuri was there, touching his shoulder and looking very worried. “What happened?” He asked.
 
“I miscalculated.” Wolfram confessed frankly. “I waited too long before using my magic. Let them get too close.”
 
“And it failed.” Gwendal finished for him, his tone flat. The squad lieutenant had wasted no time reporting to him, but in his incredulity he had wanted to hear it from Wolfram himself. His eyes had become troubled. It was unheard-of for their magic to fail. Not when the wielder was alive and whole.
 
“It failed.” Wolfram acknowledged.
 
“But how could that happen?” Yuuri demanded. “You weren't anywhere near esoteric stones, were you?”
 
Wolfram shook his head. “These were ordinary bandits preying on rich human noblemen. We'd received several complaints about that trail. That was why I decided to check it out. They hadn't been expecting us, they wouldn't have had the foresight to prepare.”
 
“No esoteric stones, and not anywhere near human lands. So why did your magic fail?” Gwendal's tone was pointed. He did not like mysteries.
 
“I don't know yet.” Wolfram repeated patiently. “It's never failed before.”
 
Yuuri stared at him. Looking at the blond, there was nothing on his features to indicate that his magic failing was of any great concern. He simply looked - worn out. His gaze shifted to Wolfram's wound, now healed, and his stomach clenched. If Wolfram had encountered a skilled swordsman instead of a buffoon, he would have been seriously injured, even -, he swallowed.
 
“Try again.” Gwendal ordered, stepping back.
 
Wolfram blinked at the peremptory order.
 
“Gwendal!” Yuuri protested.
 
“I want to see it.” Gwendal said tersely. “Our magic is part of us, Heika. It isn't supposed to just disappear while we're still breathing.”
 
Yuuri paled further as his meaning sank in.
 
Realizing that his brother was serious, Wolfram lifted his uninjured arm, centering himself. Bracing himself, he closed his eyes and concentrated.
 
Nothing.
 
Swearing beneath his breath, Gwendal stalked to a window. Focusing his own power, he gestured. Instantly, a tower of soil and earth rose to his bidding. Satisfied, he let go and the earth returned to rest. He turned back to Wolfram, who was now sporting a pained frown. “Why has your magic failed when mine hasn't?”
 
“I don't know, Gwendal.” Wolfram repeated for the umpteenth time, his voice intensely weary. Gwendal's peremptory tone and strident voice actually made his the throbbing in his head worse.
 
Gisela had had enough. Wolfram's face was becoming more pinched by the second, and she didn't need magic to know that his head was aching again. However, mindful of Wolfram's reluctance to reveal his condition to the others, she couldn't actually do anything about it at the moment. But she could order rest and quiet for her patient.
 
However, just as she was about to open her mouth, Yuuri beat her to it.
 
“That's enough for now, Gwendal.” He said firmly. “Wolfram's in no shape to worry about his magic.” It didn't really matter to him. People had survived for centuries without magic all their lives. At worst he was just going to have to make sure the blond prince didn't endanger himself any further. What did concern him was the glazed look in Wolfram's eyes. Only his stubborn will was keeping the swordsman upright.
 
“He can stay here and rest.” Gisela offered quickly, for which Wolfram sent her a grateful look.
 
“No!” For some reason, Yuuri did not like the look the two exchanged. He didn't like the fact that Wolfram seemed perfectly willing to remain in Gisela's care, nor was he comfortable with the eagerness with which Gisela had offered. There was something there, between the two of them. A mysterious bonding that he instantly distrusted. Dammit, he wanted that softening to turn in his direction! “I'll take care of Wolfram.”
 
Shocked silence followed his outburst.
 
“He's- he's my fiancé.” Yuuri sputtered, flushing at the nonplussed stares. “I can take care of him. Besides,” he went on, gaining confidence as the perfect excuse struck him. “I don't trust him not to go back on duty the minute our backs are turned.”
 
“I don't think Wolfram's going to be going anywhere anytime soon.” Gwendal remarked dryly. However, he knew better than to argue. He pinned his brother with a brooding stare. “I'll check with Günter. He might be able to turn something up.” Then he was gone, leaving behind him an awkward silence.
 
Wolfram couldn't explain it himself. He should be thrilled that Yuuri apparently wanted to care for him. In fact, wasn't the whole object of the `cure' to get closer to him? However, the pain in his head was growing harder to mask with every breath, and he simply didn't have to energy to deal with the confusing mix of emotions.
 
“You still have a lot of studying to do, Heika.” He said finally, forcing himself to keep his voice steady. “Günter must be waiting for you even now. Go. I'm sure I can take care of myself just fine for a day or so.” Anyway, he was quite certain Gwendal would have informed all the castle guards that he was not to be allowed outside until Gisela had pronounced him fit for duty. His oldest brother was nothing if not thorough.
 
“Shut up, Wolfram.” Yuuri retorted quite firmly, albeit without heat. In fact, he was astonished at how much he looked forward to caring for the other boy. To be allowed to hang around him, without bothersome duties to lure the blond away, and without having to think of an excuse was a luxury in itself. “Come on, you look all done in.” He gazed anxiously as the blond hesitated. “Ano, can you walk?”
 
Wolfram didn't know the answer to that himself. His vision was starting to swim.
 
“Wolf?” Yuuri's tone grew anxious.
 
Wolfram took a deep breath and got to his feet.
 
Yuuri cried out when the blond staggered and almost fell. Would have fallen had he not been watching closely and caught him around the waist.
 
“Lord Wolfram?” Gisela squeaked.
 
“I think - I'm going to have to stay here a bit longer after all, Heika.” Wolfram got out faintly before his eyes rolled up to his head and he blacked out.
 
-o0o-
 
“Is he going to be alright?” Yuuri's query was directed at Gisela, but his gaze was glued to his fiance's pale face. He hadn't realized how much weight Wolfram had lost until he'd carried the blond prince to his - no, their - room. He'd been so light in his arms that it worried Yuuri all over again. Had the other boy been eating at all in the times he'd begged off dinner?
 
Gisela sighed as she composed her thoughts. Wolfram losing consciousness was cause for worry. That his body had so easily succumbed to physical injury was indicative of his deteriorating condition, physically and emotionally.
 
“He needs to rest.” She replied quietly. “He's all worn out.”
 
“Yeah.” Yuuri agreed softly, his tone softening.
 
“Heika,” Gisela chose her words with care. “Wolfram's been under a lot of stress lately. He really needs taking care of.”
 
Yuuri stiffened, catching the genuine concern in her tone. Thinking the healer meant to volunteer her services yet again and unable to explain the sudden surge of jealousy in his heart, he spun around to face her squarely.
 
“I'll take care of him.” He said firmly, his tone just this side of a growl.
 
Taken aback by his sudden vehemence, Gisela retreated. “Alright, if Wolfram needs me, don't hesitate to call. I'll check on him tomorrow.”
 
Not if he can help it, Yuuri thought to himself testily. He was more than capable of attending to whatever needs - he flushed - Wolfram would have.
 
After Gisela had left, Yuuri didn't hesitate to crawl into bed beside his fiancé. Propping himself up on one elbow, he contemplated Wolfram quietly. In repose and in spite of his pallor, the ex-brat prince was a vision to behold. Yuuri lifted a hand to smooth back golden tendrils from a smooth cheek. Wolfram stirred at the gentle touch.
 
“Shhh, rest, Wolf.” Yuuri whispered tenderly. “I've got you.”
 
A soft sigh escaped the prince and perhaps it was a trick of the fading light, but Yuuri thought the pink mouth lifted in a smile before Wolfram settled deeper into the mattress. Gazing at him, it hit Yuuri how many times in the past he'd had this same opportunity, only then he'd wasted them complaining about his space and discomfiture.
 
“I've been an idiot, haven't I?” He murmured. “All this time and I didn't realize how much I've come to rely on your presence in my life.” He sighed, settling down beside the blond. “I've missed you, Wolf.”
 
His gaze fell on Wolfram's injured arm and a surge of protectiveness swept through him. He would have to talk to Gwendal about tightening the security around the castle, he thought darkly, especially while Wolfram couldn't summon his fire magic. The blond was too proud and stubborn to relinquish his duties even with the handicap. No doubt he would be back on patrol the moment Gisela pronounced him fit.
 
And that was another concern. His brow furrowed. He'd never noticed Gisela having feelings for Wolfram. Not that he'd been paying attention, he acknowledged ruefully. He'd been scarcely aware of his own! He bit his lip, a stray thought making him sit up abruptly. All these weeks that Wolfram had kept to himself…He flushed red, his breath hitching at the thought. No, Wolfram wouldn't have gone behind his back. He was too proud to break his honor by being unfaithful to his betrothed. And yet Yuuri couldn't deny the possibility that the swordsman may have found consolation in the attentions of another, especially when his recent lack of jealousy was taken into account.
 
He almost growled, but swallowed the sound out of fear of waking the blond. Well, he decided angrily, all that was going to stop right now. He liked Gisela a lot, and he was grateful for the healer's help, but he had no intention of losing his fiancé to Günter's daughter. She was just going to have to find her own betrothed, because this one's taken!
 
A discreet knock on the door cut through his thoughts, and thinking that Gisela had come - again - to check on Wolfram, Yuuri scowled. With jerky movements, he got to his feet and silently stalked to the door.
 
“He's still sleeping!” He fairly hissed upon opening it by a crack, then caught himself at the surprise on Conrad's face.
 
“That's good.” Conrad's surprise transformed into an indulgent smile. “I was just going to ask if you plan on joining us for supper.”
 
“Oh.” Yuuri glanced at the darkened skies outside, having lost track of the time.
 
“I can watch over Wolfram while you eat.” Conrad offered kindly, sensing Yuuri's hesitation and guessing that the latter didn't want Wolfram to wake up alone.
 
Yuuri's eyes followed Conrad's gaze to the slumbering prince on his bed, his expression becoming tender. Conrad noted the change with a lightening of his heart.
 
“Nah, I'm not really that hungry.” Yuuri said finally. “I think I'll just have an early night.”
 
Conrad nodded and would have left when Yuuri thought of something.
 
“Ano - could you ask cook to send something up for Wolfram, though? Soup maybe?” Yuuri blushed at the surprise in Conrad's eyes. “He might wake up and get hungry.” He finished a little lamely.
 
“No problem.” Conrad assured him, touched by his thoughtfulness. “I'll have someone bring it right up.” He smiled encouragingly. “It's a great idea, Heika.”
 
Yuuri was still blushing when the grinning cook arrived with the soup, but inside he was feeling warm and fuzzy. He could grow used to taking care of Wolfram, he mused giddily as he settled in beside the blond prince. Staring sleepily at his fiancé, he sighed at the rightness of having him back in their bed. Feeling that all was right again in his world, he closed his eyes and slept.
 
-o0o-