Magic Knight Rayearth Fan Fiction ❯ Remember The Past ❯ Chapter 8 ( Chapter 8 )

[ A - All Readers ]

CHAPTER 8

Back in the void, the two Mashins observed the pair from their dark abode. "Well, well, well…that was quite a surprise…"

"Indeed. He could still sense her danger…"

"His will to protect her is quite strong…"

"I think there is something more than that…Don't you think…Don't you think that it's possible that his soul is bonded to hers?"

"It can be considered…it seems that in every case he seemed to have acted on pure impulse…yet he could find her exact location…Why don't we find out? They say the third time is always a charm…"

"…You are not thinking of something drastic aren't you?"

"I do not have to. Our duty is to watch, not intervene after we cast the Spell of Ephemeral Tribulation on the pair. The spell itself will generate the obstacles they would need to undertake."

"Ares…"

"Aphrodite, I know you are worried…But if they're love is strong, they will be able to break the spell."

"It's just taking them too long…We have to admit, since they both live in different worlds, the spell is much stronger compared to the past. Memories of Sefiro had brought them together, and the spell took it from them…

"There is nothing we can do now, but watch…and hope."

***

As if by fate, Lantis found himself entering the school gates at the same time as Hikaru. She greeted him in her usual genki way. "Ohayo Lantis-kun!"

"Ohayo Hikaru-chan," he greeted back, flashing her his rare smiles, which is now broader than the usual. "Feeling much better now I hope?"

"Yes, thanks for your help. Satoru told me that he's been looking forward to seeing you again…He said he wants to ask you something important."

"I see…I wonder what it could be?"

Hikaru just shrugged. "Knowing him, it could be anything."

"Maybe I'll visit sometime in the weekend…I have a feeling your other brothers would not like it very much though…"

Hikaru giggled and said, "They're just like that."

"If I had such a sister as beautiful as you, I think I'd be as protective as they are…" Lantis mumbled, not aware that Hikaru heard what he just said.

"Ah-hehehehe…" Hikaru said, blushing furiously. "Uh…thanks…"

Their usually noisy classroom became really quiet when the two entered. The looks their classmates were giving them were very disturbing for both of them. Lantis ended up giving each and everyone a piercing glare…enough to scare the hell out of anybody. "What the bloody hell are you looking at?"

Each person mumbled at their own excuses, and then went back in doing their own business. "I wonder what's wrong?" Hikaru said. Lantis could only shrug as he approached his seat, obviously in a very bad mood all of a sudden.

It wasn't long until Chiharu and Keiko approached the clueless Hikaru, dragging her out of the room. "What's going on?" Hikaru asked her friends.

"Well that's what we want to ask you," Chiharu told her.

"See yesterday, when the both of you were absent, Kyou-kun said that he saw Kyle-kun carry you to his car the day before at the park…"

"Yeah…at first we didn't believe him…but then, after that, Mikoto-kun overheard Kobayashi-sensei talking to someone telling him that you were in Kyle-kun's house and that you two would not be going to school that day. And well knowing Mikoto, he can't be lying…"

"Plus, this morning, Maki-chan swore she saw Kyle-kun and you get out from his car in front of your house and walked in, hand in hand yesterday…I mean, no boy classmate, or even close male acquaintance of yours had been able to step in the Shidou residence considering how protective your brothers are about you."

"Kagome-chan confirmed this since they were walking home together…"

"But…we're just friends…they can't be assuming that…"

"They are…you two had gotten awfully close since he came here. I mean, you are often seen together everywhere you go in the campus."

"In short, everybody thinks you're a couple now…"

She didn't know what to do. She knew Lantis wouldn't like it…She was supposed to help Lantis to get used to their school, not give him trouble. 'What will he think of me now?'

***

Lantis' scowl had never left his face since Hikaru walked back in the room with her friends. She was pale, and looking very distressed at that time. He found out, from some boys from his class, about the rumors circulating between him and Hikaru. He wasn't really bothered about what people had been thinking about them, what irritated him was that the rumors made Hikaru very upset. 'Damn those bloody idiots…can't mind their own damn business…'

He slipped a worried gaze at the girl sitting in front of him. 'If it bothers her that much, I guess I have to keep my distance for a while…' He watched as she let out a deep sigh…If he does leave her alone, then what? 'She'd be more upset…thinking I'm avoiding her because of those bloody rumors…' Besides, he's very much aware that he couldn't stay away from the redhead… 'Unless of course if she asks me to…'

The school bell rang, signaling the end of their Math class and the start of their lunch break. Usually, Hikaru would be turning around to face him, telling him to hurry up…But now, she just silently remained in her seat…

Lantis sighed, stood up and approached her. He was very much aware of his classmates' gaze, but he didn't care. "Hey," he started to say, lifting her chin slightly…And there, in her eyes he saw embarrassment and what's that---guilt? "I have a problem with a group of deranged fans, can you help me cope with that?" He flashed her a reassuring smile…It was then that she smiled back at him and nodded. He offered her his hand, and she took it.

Before they left the classroom, Lantis turned to his classmates and said, "By the way, we're just friends…Next time, keep your bloody noses out of other people's business."

***

"That wasn't nice…" Hikaru scolded Lantis as they walked towards their usual dining place.

"Since when did they think I was nice? Besides, they should really mind their own business."

"Meanie."

"If your brothers finds out about this one, they'll skin my hide. I can already hear what's his name---?"

"Kakeru."

"Yes, Kakeru."

"He'll say, 'I told you I was right about that gaijin!'" Hikaru said, laughing.

"Hikaru-chan…"

"Hmm…"

"I'll always be there for you, no matter what. Always remember that."

"Un," Hikaru nodded.

"Never doubt it…even once…Okay?"

"Okay."

She gave him a questioning look when he suddenly stopped walking. "Hikaru-chan…I have something to give you…"

"Hmm…?"

She noticed he had been fumbling at the chain necklace on his neck…He was going to take it off when… "THERE THEY ARE!" someone shouted behind them.

"Run!" she told him.

***