Magic Knight Rayearth Fan Fiction ❯ The Ramarian Crisis ❯ Chapter 6: Return to Cephiro ( Chapter 6 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

The Ramarian Crisis

By DarkHorse

Chapter 6: Return to Cephiro

The Grand Hall, Cephiro

Clef was expecting many things upon meeting the Magic Knights. Three battle-weary girls, the leader of which was carrying an unconscious girl, was certainly not one of them. They all appeared exhausted either by actual fatigue or by the tension they obviously just experienced. Their hair was all disheveled. Hikaru's waist-length red hair, which was usually braided into a single ponytail, was untied and in disarray. There was also the Pillar's armor. She was not wearing her usual uniform and skirt. Instead she was wearing a flame-patterned bodysuit beneath her white armor, which tightly hugged her young and delicate curves. And finally, who is that girl Hikaru is carrying? Out of the corner of his eye, Clef saw Lantis move forward to relieve the Pillar of her burden.

"Thanks, Lantis," Hikaru said, as she looked up at the tall magic swordsman and smiled wearily. She conjured up a levitating single-sized bed in front of Lantis. She failed to catch Lantis' raised eyebrows at the ease in which the Pillar was able to use magic. Lantis gently laid the girl on the floating divan.

"Hello, Clef," said the weary Fire Knight as she focused on the mage.

"Princess, what has happened to the three of you?"

"I'll explain in a minute." The Fire Knight turned and smiled at everyone present. "Hi everybody."

This was what everyone seemed to be waiting for. For as soon as they saw her smile, they rushed forward to greet them. Ferio made a beeline to Fuu, taking her into his arms. It seemed exactly what the blonde Wind Knight needed for she not only welcomed the embrace but also collapsed in relief right into it.

Ascot also rushed towards Umi, clearly intending to embrace the statuesque blue-haired girl but stopped just as he reached her. The Water Knight had her arms crossed on her chest, eyeing the tall Summoner dangerously as if daring him to take one more step towards her. "Uh, hello Umi," was all Ascot managed to say, a hand behind his head.

"Hello, Ascot," Umi finally smiled, dropping her arms to her side. She turned to look at everyone else. Caldina, La Farga, and Presea were clustered around Clef, Lantis and Hikaru. They had been watching the two and were clearly having difficulty hiding their amusement. Umi turned back to Ascot, her eyes narrowing. She approached him, reached out and tapped him lightly on the cheek. "Control yourself next time, Ascot," she said in a low voice.

"Uh, sure Umi. Sorry," Ascot mumbled as he watched Umi walk past him to approach the group.

"…so we had to take Fuu's sister," Hikaru was saying when Umi neared them. "We have much to talk about Clef. I need to ask you a lot of questions. Also, I would like to speak with Geo Metro of Autozam soon."

Clef nodded and then glanced at the Knight who had just approached. Despite the less-than-perfect appearance of the Water Knight, he marveled at her poise. "Hello Umi. Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," said Umi, taking a deep breath. "I'm just a little bit tense."

Lantis who had also been looking at Umi, now turned to Hikaru. "I think it's best that you three rest for a while." He reached out and draped a comforting arm across Hikaru's shoulder. The redhead glanced up briefly at Lantis and then looked down, clearly blushing.

"Ah, yes…we need some rest," Hikaru stammered. She felt Lantis give her shoulder a gentle squeeze and then lead her from the grand hall towards the residential quarters.

Ferio likewise led Fuu to her room. Fuu took a few steps before realizing that she was about to leave her sister behind. She was surprised by the fact that the bed was floating behind her, obviously following both Ferio and her. She turned towards Hikaru and saw the petite redhead wink at her. She smiled back at the Fire Knight gratefully.

Umi was about to follow them when she sensed Ascot by her side.

"Allow me to escort you to your quarters," he said with a voice that was suspiciously high pitched.

Umi thought about declining but then decided to allow it. "Sure Ascot." She was a bit annoyed when Ascot offered her his arm but she hid it. What the heck, she decided and looped her arm around his.

When the group reached a juncture in the hall, it was Hikaru who first noticed that Fuu, Ferio, Umi and Ascot were turning right while Lantis was leading her to the left. She looked up at her escort. "Where are we going, Lantis? Isn't my old room that way too?"

"You have different quarters now, Princess," Lantis said simply.

"I see."

In a few more minutes, Lantis and Hikaru arrived at a room whose doors were bigger than she had ever seen anywhere in the palace. "This is my room?"

"Yes, Princess," Lantis took his arm from Hikaru and proceeded to open the doors to her chambers.

"Wow!" The room was huge and ornate. As Lantis led her in, she noticed that every conceivable luxury was present. It had a sitting room and its own dining room. Against the far wall of the room was the four-post bed complete with a resplendent canopy. The Fire Knight thought that the bed was big enough for all three Knights to sleep in comfortably. She also noticed three open doorways: one was her personal bathroom, the other a walk-in closet filled with wardrobe for every occasion and the third seemed to be a personal library, filled with scrolls, tomes and various other references. Finally, the entire room was very tastefully done in a reddish, pink motif that truly appealed to the Hikaru.

Just as Hikaru finished her wide-eyed survey of the room, two ladies-in-waiting appeared before her. They promptly knelt on one knee and bowed their heads. Hikaru took a step back and looked up at Lantis. "I can't sleep here," she whispered while shaking her head almost imperceptibly.

"It is not to your liking?" Lantis asked. Even the ladies-in-waiting looked up to see their Pillar's reaction.

"It's a bit too much."

"But this a room fit for someone in your station, Princess."

"Lantis, my name is Hikaru."

Lantis gave a sigh. "You are truly different. But we haven't prepared any other room for you."

Hikaru grimaced, looking at the opulence before her with disdain. "Oh, very well." Upon hearing this, the ladies-in-waiting jumped up excitedly and rushed towards her, gently pulling her further into the room by the arm.

"It is truly an honor to be of service to you, Princess," the one the right gushed.

"We have been looking forward all day to meeting you, Highness," the one on the left enthused.

"Ah, well…um, thank you?" Hikaru glanced over her shoulder towards Lantis, pleading with her eyes to be rescued. Lantis gave a smile of amusement and simply waved.

"If you need me, Princess, you know where to reach me," he grinned as he bowed, closing the doors to the room.

Someone help me, Hikaru prayed.

* * * * *

Hours later, the three Magic Knights had already napped. They were all dressed in white satin gowns that, although loose fitting and comfortable, did not hide their budding femininity. Each was wearing a cut that was distinct with their personality and color. Hikaru's was an off-shoulder version, showing off her graceful neck and shoulders. She had on a carnation sash around her waist. Umi and Fuu wore two different variations of a sleeveless cut. The former had a blue sash while the latter, a green one. Contrary to Hikaru's wishes, her ladies-in-waiting, whose names she learned were Vivien and Lana, insisted on adorning her with a bejeweled golden choker and an equally elaborate breast ornament. Umi and Fuu also had necklaces and breast ornaments but were slightly less ornate.

Hikaru and Umi both decided to visit Fuu's room where they knew Kuu was also staying. Kuu was still unconscious which worried Fuu greatly. It took a bit of comforting from both Hikaru and Umi to calm her down. Fuu was also worried about how her elder sister was going to react to the truth. Her mind churned with ways of explaining the things that have happened to her, Hikaru and Umi. What might she be thinking about the events she witnessed? The Wind Knight gazed at the sleeping form of her elder sister.

Seeing that everything was more or less stabilized, Umi decided to take a walk around the palace. Hikaru opted to remain in the room with Fuu and her sister. She walked out to the balcony and watched the setting sun. Now that the tension and fatigue was completely bled from her system, she could distinctly feel the pulse of Cephiro course through her very being. She took a deep breath, relishing the clean, pure air of this beautiful, untainted world.

It was very tempting to just remain in this world, to leave the troubles of Earth behind and just stay here. But Hikaru banished that thought immediately. Earth was her world too. And what's more, she had family back there. There was absolutely no way she was going to abandon the world of her birth. Her eyes narrowed as she remembered the attack on them. What motivated them to attack us? Something told her deep down that Earth was somehow in danger. But what did that have to do with us?

Hikaru remembered what Malor told her. There were beings that were on Earth with access to awesome technology who were planning to kidnap them. Malor had distinctly said the word "beings". Not "people", or "men". Were they aliens? The men who attacked them were clearly human for they bled. They also did not possess any special powers or wield weapons that even remotely resembled out-of-this-world technology.

The topic of Malor was something she was definitely going to bring up with Clef. She was also looking forward to her meeting with the people of Autozam, particularly Geo Metro and Zazu Torque, to discuss technology. Hikaru's thoughts were interrupted by Fuu's call. She immediately turned and headed inside. "What is it, Fuu?"

"I think she's about to wake up," Fuu said, cocking her head towards her sister. She stood, wringing her hands together. Her anxiety was clearly evident.

"Sit down, Fuu," Hikaru urged. "It's best if Kuu's sees someone familiar the first time she opens her eyes."

"You're right of course, Miss Hikaru," Fuu said as she sat back down beside her sister. Hikaru walked over to the bed and sat down on the opposite side. Together they watched as Kuu stirred.

Kuu's eyes fluttered open. At first, all she could see was a blur. She sat up and brought her hands to her eyes, rubbing the cobwebs of sleepiness from them. When she opened them again, the first thing she saw was Fuu's concerned face.

"Fuu?"

"Yes, Kuu. It's me, Fuu," Fuu moved closer and held her hand.

"Where am I?" She looked around at the unfamiliar surroundings and then focused back on her little sister. Suddenly, her eyes widened when her memories came crashing back to her. She recoiled from her sister and instinctively brought the sheets up to her neck as if the thin material could protect her from any danger.

"Kuu, please don't be frightened," Fuu pleaded.

"You! I-I saw you…you…" Kuu was shaking her head in alarm and confusion.

"Kuu, please, we can explain," it was Hikaru this time. Kuu gave a yelp of surprise and fright when she realized that someone was seated at her right side.

"Hikaru! I-I heard you in my head!"

"Yes, it's kinda like telepathy," Hikaru said finally capturing one of her hands and clamping them down with two of her own.

"You," Kuu looked alternately between her sister and her redhead friend. "Both of you have powers, and…and speed…blinding speed…"

Hikaru looked at Fuu, using her eyes to encourage the latter to try to explain things to her elder sister.

"Kuu, yes, it's true," Fuu took the hand that was free and like Hikaru, clamped on it with two of her own. "We have powers. Hikaru, Umi and myself."

There were tears flowing from Kuu's eyes as she squeezed the hands of the people she thought she knew. "But how?"

Fuu took a deep breath. "Kuu, do you remember that field trip we had at Tokyo Tower a few weeks ago?" Kuu nodded. "Do you remember at breakfast the next morning, you saw a news article about a bright light that was seen from Tokyo Tower the day before?" Again, Kuu nodded. "You commented about it and asked me if I saw it.

"I said yes but I didn't give any more explanation, which puzzled you, I'm sure," Fuu took another deep breath. "That was when this whole things started." Fuu removed her eyes from her sister's and glanced at Hikaru, searching for the strength to continue. She found it. "The three of us, Hikaru, Umi and I were drawn to the light. It was a portal of some sort. It brought us here, to Cephiro, another world. It was here where we learned our powers."

"Wait a minute!" Kuu let go of Hikaru's hand and held onto her sister's shoulders. "Did you just say 'another world'?" There was a look of wild incredulity in Kuu's expression.

Fuu nodded, smiling. "You are in that other world right now." And Kuu promptly fainted…again. Fuu took one glance at her unconscious sister before looking at Hikaru, her expression one of helplessness.

"Was it something I said, Miss Hikaru?"

* * * * *

Umi found herself again in front of a massive set of doors leading to the working chamber that Clef occupied. She remembered the first time she came here was after she had returned from Tokyo, right after the death of Princess Emeraude, the previous Pillar of Cephiro. She had felt the great need to apologize to the Master Mage for mistreating and disrespecting him. At that time, she didn't realize how kind and wise he was. Despite the hardships he had to endure, the difficulties he had to surmount, he came through for her.

Her thoughts took her to their second day in Cephiro. They were traveling through a small town when she was mortally wounded by Alcione's sneak attack on them. Hikaru, being the only one at the time to have learned magic, was the only one fighting the evil sorceress. It was a desperate battle, one that Hikaru was losing. Umi had asked for magic to help her new friend. She wanted so much to help Hikaru, even if it was the last thing she did. And then, Clef came to her at that crucial moment, in a vision and taught her how to find her magic. Fortunately, he was able to help Fuu as well, allowing her to find the healing magic to save Umi from certain death.

So here she was again. I guess I just want to talk to Clef, Umi thought. Just before leaving Cephiro, after Hikaru was crowned as the Pillar, she had felt something for the diminutive mage. Now, she wasn't so sure. All she was certain of was that Clef was still special to her. And that, she supposed, was enough.

Just as before, the heavy double-doors of the chamber opened on its own. And just as before, this completely surprised the Water Knight. She squinted her eyes to filter out the brightness of the chamber. When her eyes adjusted she could see Clef standing in the middle of the room, smiling his beatific smile.

"Come in, Umi."

Umi smiled brightly as she entered the room.

* * * * *

"Warp speed in ten…nine…"

Drak held onto the sides of his command chair tightly in preparation for entering hyperspace. His battleship will be the first followed closely by ten others. This small contingent of battleships is the only one of the entire fleet that had reliable hyperdrive motivators that will be able to travel in hyperspace for extended periods of time. They were of course heading towards Earth and travel time would at least be one iata. After hearing about the failed attempt to capture the three human females, he decided he didn't like to wait any longer.

"…seven…six…"

Higon was also seated in the control center but several meters away from Drak. He glanced at the Supreme Commander from the corner of his eye. They had argued at length about going through with this little adventure. It amazed him that Drak didn't really have that much trust in his own son, Lam. It was clear from the report he received that to initially use a criminal group to capture the females was a brilliant plan to determine exactly what these humans were capable of. So what if it turns out that they were more powerful than any of us had imagined?

"…four…three…"

The command center began to shake slightly. Everyone in the bridge looked at one another with puzzled expressions on their faces. The transition from regular thrusters to hyperdrive motivator was usually a smooth one. Higon glanced once more at Drak. This was a long time coming. He had already warned him about it but the fool wouldn't listen. The antiquated motivators could only stand so much strain and wear and tear.

"…two…one…engaging hyperdrive motivators," the onboard computer droned on, oblivious to the telltale signs that a jump to hyperspace would not be successful.

The huge battleship shuddered and then lurched forward. Everyone on the ship was pushed back against his or her chair and the stars on the view screen became starlines. Drak was about to smile triumphantly at Higon when the entire bridge shook with a force never before felt. The battleship jerked to a sudden stop; the starlines on the view screen once again resolving to stars. Klaxon bells began ringing throughout the bridge.

Drak's head snapped to and fro, trying to get some sense out of the situation. "Prono! Damage Report!" Drak barked out the order as he stood from his chair.

The first officer jumped up from his seat and rushed towards the bridge engineer. "Sir! The motivator has exploded. Plasma gel is leaking from several cracks on the main thruster shaft causing fires to break out, Sir." Prono straightened up rigidly, already expecting an outburst from the Supreme Commander.

To everyone's surprise, Drak merely sat back on his chair. He looked out through the view screen. "Esteemed scientist," he said without turning to address Higon. "I would greatly appreciate your assistance in this matter.

Higon, who was equally surprised, was quiet for a few seconds. "Of course, Drak," he said at last. The scientist stood from his seat and made his way out of the bridge. Those that were left behind could only look at the retreating form with envy. None of them wanted to be in the bridge at the moment.

* * * * *

Lantis, La Farga and Ferio were inside a tavern within the village of Celophas, all three nursing their mugs of Cephirean ale. They had just completed their rounds and had agreed to visit one of the popular watering holes in the village. Because they were all swordsmen, any conversation they started would always end up with a discussion on the merits and demerits of various sword-fighting styles. Uncharacteristically, Lantis was quiet throughout the ongoing debate. Eventually, the other two swordsmen noticed that Lantis had not participated at all and was just sitting there staring into space towards the palace. La Farga and Ferio looked at each other, clearly puzzled by their friend's behavior.

"Hey, Lantis," Ferio called out, nudging the magic swordsman in the arm. "Are you okay?"

"Huh?" Lantis blinked a few times, clearly jolted out of his reverie. He looked at his two companions with confusion in his eyes. "I'm sorry, were you guys talking to me?"

"Not really," Ferio quipped. "We were only talking about our favorite topic and you seem to have had no interest at all today."

"It seems you have a lot of things on your mind," La Farga said as he leaned back on his chair.

Lantis gave the two an enigmatic smile. "Sorry about that. I guess you're right. I've got a lot of things on my mind."

"Or maybe you just have one thing on your mind," Ferio winked at La Farga. "Make that one person on your mind."

The magic swordsman gave a sigh. He crossed his arms on his chest, his eyes still focused outside the tavern. "Have you guys noticed how much more beautiful Cephiro is when Hikaru is here?"

"Of course we noticed," replied Ferio.

"It is only natural," La Farga opined. "She is after all the Pillar."

"It's amazing she's able to maintain this world even when she's in another," mused the magic swordsman.

"You forget, Lantis," La Farga leaned forward. "She gave the power of maintaining this world to the people."

"But she still possesses a considerable amount of power."

"Well," Ferio said after a few seconds of thought. "Hikaru has the strongest will here in Cephiro. This is, after all, the land where the strength of the heart is the strongest power."

"Without exerting any effort at all, she's able to project her power to this world."

"Exactly what is your point, Lantis?" La Farga frowned, clearly not getting where this conversation was heading.

It was at this point that Lantis turned to face his two friends. "My point is that Hikaru is extremely powerful. More powerful than Princess Emeraude," he leaned in for emphasis.

"So?" It was Ferio this time. He didn't particularly like talking about his late sister.

"So, she has no one like us to protect her back in her world. If she falls into the wrong hands…" Lantis allowed his words to trail off, his intent already clear.

"You yourself said it, Lantis," Ferio argued. "She's very powerful. Who would even think of…of capturing her?"

Lantis looked squarely at the green-haired swordsman. "Yes, it's true that she's powerful. But she does have weaknesses. Surely you haven't forgotten that final battle between Hikaru and Nova?"

Ferio glanced at La Farga catching his expression. Both of them slowly nodded, remembering how Hikaru got herself almost killed because she wouldn't attack Nova while the latter held Lantis hostage.

"It's not very difficult to see how Hikaru truly values and cares for others," Lantis continued. "Anyone with malevolent intention would be able to take advantage of that."

La Farga leaned back on his chair and crossed his arms on his chest. "What is it you propose to do then?"

Lantis shook his head slowly. "I'm not really sure."

* * * * *

Kuu managed to not faint this time as Fuu finished the story. Her expression was curiously vacant which cause her little sister to frown in wonder as to whether Kuu understood everything that was said. Finally, after a few seconds, Kuu blinked and then turned to look at Hikaru.

"So, Hikaru, you are like the goddess of this world?" Kuu asked point blank.

Hikaru shuddered visibly at the word "goddess". "W-what!? I'm not a goddess! Please don't use that word." The redhead girl was already scowling.

"But that's exactly what you are," Kuu insisted.

"But I'm not immortal or anything!" Hikaru protested. Kuu merely shrugged and then looked at her little sister.

"And you, Fuu, are a Magic Knight with powers of the Wind."

Fuu nodded.

"What about Umi? She's a Magic Knight too, right? What are her powers?"

"Miss Umi has the powers of Water."

Kuu nodded slowly and then suddenly cradled her head on her hands, shaking her head slowly. "I think I'm going crazy."

In response, Hikaru took Kuu's head gently in her small hands and faced it towards her so she could look at Fuu's sister right in the eye. "You are not going crazy, Kuu. C'mon, why don't you get up and we'll show you around?" Hikaru pulled up a reluctant Kuu from the bed.

Once up, it was the first time Kuu took a good look at both Fuu and Hikaru. Both were dressed very regally in what appeared to be very fine satin gowns adorned with jewelry on their necks and arms. "Wow, you two look great!" Kuu looked down at her own self. She was wearing a flannel nightgown. "If I'm to go out, shouldn't I be wearing something other than this?"

Hikaru merely smiled. As if by some unhidden signal, the door to Fuu's room opened revealing two ladies-in-waiting. With wide smiles, the two girls rushed to Kuu enthusiastically. Kuu was startled and began to step back but the girls were too fast for her. In a flash, they were both holding onto Kuu's arm and gently leading her to the bathroom.

With wide eyes Kuu looked at both Hikaru and Fuu. "Where are they taking me?"

"Don't worry, Kuu," said Fuu cheerily. "They are going to take care of your every need." Seeing that her sister was so cheerful about it and sensing no danger from the two girls who were guiding her, she allowed herself to be led.

Hikaru chuckled at Kuu's plight and then glanced at Fuu. "I know exactly how she feels."

* * * * *

Higon surveyed the mess that used to be the hyperdrive motivator chamber. The fires have largely been put out. A few remaining sparks and embers were the only remaining evidence of the inferno that had claimed the lives of no less than 50 Ramarians who had the misfortune of being right here when the explosion happen.

The hyperdrive motivator was largely intact, which was not really that surprising. Higon knew that housing that protected the motivator was truly built to withstand high temperatures and pressure. It was not entirely spared though. Here and there, several cracks could be seen throughout the huge shaft. Although most of the cracks have since been patched, those that were still unattended to were leaking plasma gel, the substance that powered the motivator. Plasma gel was highly combustible and extremely volatile and unstable when not contained properly.

Higon shook his head slightly. It was very clear that this motivator was damaged beyond repair. And since they no longer had any replacement parts, that meant that this battleship will no longer be able to enter into hyperspace. Higon glanced at the bridge engineer who later followed him to the motivator chamber.

"The regular thrusters, I trust, are still operational, yes?" Higon asked.

"Yes they are," was the monotonous reply that came back.

Higon merely nodded. At this rate, it would take well over 40 iatas before they reached Earth. There was no use in prolonging the inevitable. He hated being the messenger of bad news. The preeminent scientist approached a nearby functional terminal and waited for Drak's face to appear on the view screen. Presently, Drak's scowling face did appear. "The motivator is no longer operational." Higon waited for what he knew was going to an argument about being able to repair anything. Just as before, the Supreme Commander surprised the scientist by simply nodding and signing off.

Once again, he turned to the bridge engineer. "Our work here is finished. Let's go back up to the control center." Higon turned and walked towards the lift.

* * * * *

Two hours later, Hikaru, Fuu and an elegantly dressed Kuu were walking along an expansive corridor heading towards the Grand Hall. Kuu was looking about in awe. The palace was very grandiose. It very easily dwarfed any hotel she'd seen in her life. Its splendor rivaled any structure Kuu was familiar with on Earth.

Before long, the trio, led by two male escorts, found themselves in front of the massive doors that led to the Grand Hall. The doors opened by themselves as they usually do revealing a crowd inside. Scarcely had the doors parted when Hikaru bounded inside excitedly like the fourteen-year-old that she was, past life and death experiences notwithstanding.

"Tatra! Tarta! Aska! Sanyung! Geo!" Hikaru greeted them all enthusiastically. Everyone surrounded her, talking at the same time. Umi and Clef were already in the Grand Hall talking with Tatra and Tarta, the two princesses of the planet Chizeta.

Fuu and Kuu also entered the large hall albeit in a more subdued manner. Aska, First Princess of the planet Fahren, upon seeing her favorite Knight, rushed to her. "Fuu!"

Fuu dropped to one knee in order to catch the child princess in her arms. "Hello dear Princess Aska," the blonde Knight hugged her friend tightly. After a few moments of this, they drew back to assess each other. "Oh my, you've grown since I was last here," Fuu declared.

Aska beamed. "Yep, I'm already 10 years old!" Time on Cephiro ran much faster than on Earth. The last time Fuu was here on Cephiro was barely a month ago and Aska had already aged three years.

"That's very good Miss Aska!" Fuu stood and pivoted to face Kuu, holding out a hand towards her. "Princess Aska of Fahren, may I present to you my elder sister, Kuu." Kuu drew near and bowed.

"It is a great pleasure to meet you, Princess Aska," Kuu said formally.

Aska smiled up at the lovely girl. "I'm glad to meet you too!"

Hikaru glanced at the threesome and felt extremely happy to be back among friends. It was amazing to think that Aska and Fuu were once enemies. Now it was hard to look at them and not think they were long-time friends.

"Hello Princess Hikaru," a voice said from behind the redhead.

It couldn't be, Hikaru thought. "Zazu?" When she turned around, she was looking slightly down since the last time she was here, although Zazu Torque was older than her, he was actually shorter. What she was expecting to see was the face of a wide-eyed teenager she once met aboard an Autozamian battleship; what she saw instead was the chest of a taller boy. She slowly lifted her eyes and got the surprise of her life when she saw the face of an older teenager.

"Yes, it's me, Zazu," the boy grinned. "I told you I'd grow taller. And you're still as cute as ever."

"What did you say?" Hikaru didn't trust her ears very well at that moment.

"Oh nothing," Zazu laughed, his hand behind his head in embarrassment.

"I see that you and Zazu Torque are getting reacquainted," Lantis said as he walked up to the two, clearly surprising them both.

"Hello Lantis," Hikaru said as she lifted her eyes towards the tall magic swordsman only to lower them quickly when she felt his dark eyes burn into her. All of sudden she felt strangely flushed.

"Oh, hi there Lantis," Zazu said as began backing away slowly. "I-it's good to see you again, Hikaru!" With one final wave, he turned and sprinted away.

Hikaru frowned when she saw the chief mechanic of the NSX hurry off. "Oh, look Lantis, you scared the kid away."

"He's hardly a kid anymore, Princess."

"Well, that's true. But I needed to talk to him and Geo for that matter."

"You can talk to them later," Lantis declared confidently. Hikaru felt his warm touch on her elbow as he gently guided her towards the other guests. And there by her side Lantis stayed all through dinner and the rest of the evening.

On the whole, Hikaru enjoyed herself immensely. She particularly enjoyed the attention the magic swordsman was paying her. In the beginning she was concerned that Kuu would feel terribly uncomfortable in the new surroundings. It proved to be for nothing since Kuu seemed to have enjoyed herself as well, thanks in no small part to the buoyant cheerfulness of both her sister and Princess Aska.

As the evening drew to a close, Hikaru found herself once again in front of the massive doors that led to her new quarters. Lantis had escorted her. She couldn't help but fidget. She had never really gone out on a date but she knew from second hand accounts what it was like. And this sure felt like a date to her.

Lantis' hand was still on her elbow but she felt it slide down her forearm in a caressing fashion that brought tingles up and down her spine. Finally, his hand found hers and lifted it to his waiting lips. Hikaru gasped as she felt his kiss on her hand. She lifted her eyes to his and shivered at the intensity she saw there.

"Lantis…"

"Yes, Princess?"

"I-I'm going to bed now," the Fire Knight stammered as she held out her hand to the doors causing them to open.

"Oh," was all Lantis could say.

"Good night." The Pillar of Cephiro gave Lantis one final glance before disappearing into her chambers.

"Good night, Princess," Lantis whispered to the doors that had already closed.

* * * * *

The next morning, the Magic Knights were already inside the War Room of the palace meeting with the delegation from Autozam headed by Geo Metro and Zazu Torque. Fuu had just drawn on a floating easel the image had downloaded from the Internet while she was on Earth. The Wind Knight would merely draw a sketch the alien objects and then by force of will, the sketch would magically morph into a three-dimensional image of the capsules that blasted into Earth's atmosphere a few weeks ago.

Geo Metro, now the commander of the NSX, the most powerful battleship of Autozam, was looking at the images closely. After a few moments of contemplation, he shook his head. "I'm sorry, I can't make them out."

"So you don't recognize them at all?" It was Umi who asked.

"No, not at all."

Zazu, who was also intently examining the images, began nodding his head. "Those are transport vehicles."

Geo looked at his chief mechanic skeptically. "And how can you be so sure of that?"

In response, Zazu stood and approached the images. He pointed to a line that seemed to cut through one of the capsule lengthwise. "This one suggests that these capsules can be opened. Also notice that the bottom portion of the capsule is more flat than round while the top portion is truly round." The chief mechanic nodded some as he spent a few more seconds in contemplation. "I'm positive. These capsules were used to transport something. Or someone." He faced the conference table and watched his audience, gauging their reaction.

"It seems to be the most logical theory we have," Fuu agreed. "Why else would they have gone to the trouble of coming to Earth?"

"This something that I will still speak to Clef about but," Hikaru said as she glanced at the other two Magic Knights, "Malor was certain that these aliens are after us. They want to kidnap us." The Fire Knight glanced at the delegation from Autozam. "Do any of you have any ideas why they would want to do that?"

Geo and Zazu exchanged glances, warily. Finally Geo looked squarely at the Pillar. "We have a theory. It was an idea we at Autozam have been playing around for quite some time now. Even when your Princess Emeraude was alive.

"Even before we thought to invade Cephiro, we were actually considering an alternate plan which involved requesting the previous Pillar to see if she could help us locate another world, other than the four in our solar system, that will be able to sustain the people of Autozam. We knew that the Pillar possessed great power and would probably be able to open a portal to this other world.

"That idea was quickly debunked," Geo continued, "because it was going to be a time consuming process. And time was not something we had in abundance." Geo took a deep breath. "So, anyway, it is confirmed that you, Princess," Geo said as he glanced at Hikaru who, from the expression on her face, was clearly realizing the implication of what he was saying, "have the power to open portals. It is possible that these aliens have discovered that and would want to use that power to maybe transport more of their kind to Earth." Having finished his explanation, Geo leaned back on his chair and waited. For several seconds nobody spoke.

Hikaru looked at Umi and Fuu in turn and stood. Everyone else at the conference table also stood. "Thank you for your time Geo, Zazu. I think you have given us the single biggest clue to this entire puzzle." She faced her Knights. "But now we have some additional thinking to do."

Zazu watched as the Knights took their leave and left the room. He wanted to approach Hikaru, to talk to her but as soon as she left the table Lantis was already there guiding her out. He felt a hand on his shoulder. He turned and found it was Geo.

"She's way out of your league, kid," Geo said gently.

"I know," was Zazu's terse reply.

"C'mon then," Geo said as he tapped his chief mechanic's shoulder lightly, "it's time to go."

With one longing look towards the retreating form of the Pillar, Zazu followed Geo out.

* * * * *

With Fuu busy with serious stuff, Aska cheerfully volunteered to take Kuu around the kingdom of Cephiro. Sanyung, Aska's personal aide, was the official tour guide. They were riding atop a huge bird with white plumage, flying low towards one of the larger towns Cephiro. To Kuu, the bird actually looked like a chicken.

Presently the bird landed in the center of the town. They were surprised to see that a crowd was already waiting for them. When they dismounted, a burly man with a friendly smile approached them, accompanied by two women carrying two garlands.

"Welcome to Shidou city. My name is Brody, I'm the mayor of this fine city," Brody said enthusiastically. The two women on either side of the mayor approached Aska and Kuu, placing the garlands over their shoulders.

"Excuse me, Mayor Brody, but did you say that the name of this city is Shidou?" Kuu asked, clearly puzzled.

"Why of course, in honor of the Pillar of this beautiful world," Brody declared with pride. "Please come with me and let me show you around. Aska, Sanyung and Kuu dutifully followed.

"This is a newly completed city and the first one of its kind," the mayor was gesturing with both hands. "It combines the magic of Cephiro and the technology of Autozam." True enough, the visitors noticed that the city's inhabitants were a mix of native Cephireans and immigrant Autozamians. The Autozamians were easily distinguishable from the clothes that they wear and the technological attachments they had on their arms and heads.

The entire tour took the better part of the day. The mayor eventually excused himself to attend to some pressing matters. The visitors thanked the mayor profusely as they continued exploring on their own. The trio found a restaurant made entirely out of glass, or some sort of transparent material. Out of curiosity and the need to settle down for a while and rest, they headed straight for it.

Aska and Sanyung headed right inside. Kuu, on the other hand, remained outside examining the "glass" that made up the walls of the establishment. It was surprisingly like glass but the texture was smoother and more slippery. It seemed a lot stronger than glass too. "Amazing," whispered Kuu.

"Hey Kuu," Aska called out, "c'mon inside already!"

Kuu started and then smiled at the child princess. "Of course, Princess." She abandoned her examination and joined the two who were already inside and seated around a table also made of "glass." Aska was watching Kuu closely as she made herself comfortable on the transparent cushion chair. Food and refreshment had already been served.

"It's amazing, isn't it?" Aska asked, pleased that her guest was having fun.

"Yes, very!" Kuu said breathily. "This world is wonderful! And you know another thing that's amazing? We've been walking and traveling all day and I should feel very tired right now but I still feel so…so energetic."

"That's because Cephiro is the land of the will," Sanyung spoke for the first time.

"What does that mean?"

"It means that if you wish it so and your heart is strong enough, that wish will come true," Sanyung concluded.

"And Hikaru is the Pillar because she has the strongest heart?"

"Yes, that is correct."

"Wow," was Kuu's only response. She turned to Aska. "How did you and my little sister meet?"

A shadow fell on Aska's pretty face. This alarmed Kuu. "I'm sorry did I say something wrong?"

"No, you didn't say anything wrong, Kuu," Aska said, looking down on her hands. "A long, long time ago, I had this crazy idea that I wanted to become the Pillar of Cephiro."

Kuu's eyes widened at that. "But why?"

"I wanted the power that came with being the Pillar. I was willing to take it by force if needed. Fuu, Umi and Hikaru were there defending Cephiro," Aska glanced at Sanyung, bit embarrassed by her past actions. "In one of our battles I was able to capture Fuu." Kuu gasped but otherwise said nothing. Aska looked at the Wind Knight's older sister. "Don't worry, I didn't hurt Fuu or anything," the child princess managed a small smile. "At least I wouldn't be able to no matter how hard I tried. She's a truly powerful Knight."

This time, Aska's held wonderment in her eyes as she recalled their confrontation. "I had almost a hundred warriors surrounding her. She was able to hold all of them back, even managing not to seriously harm any of them."

"So how did you become such good friends afterwards?"

"Just before Prince Ferio rescued her, the tables had actually turned and she held me captive using one of her spells. And she spoke to me in a way that no one else did," Aska said in soft tones. "You know I hardly listen to anyone," she chuckled. "But for some reason, I listened to Fuu. And from that moment on, I really wanted to become her friend."

"That's truly wonderful, Princess." Kuu reached over and hugged the child. "So, I'm hungry. Let's go eat this food before it gets cold."

* * * * *

The Magic Knights, Lantis, Ferio, La Farga, Ascot, Caldina, Presea and Clef had just concluded their meeting. Hikaru now knew much more about Malor. It turned out that he was also a Fire Knight. No wonder he lived at the foot of a volcano. Clef was very surprised that he was still alive. He would have to be more than 500 years old even considering the fact that time passed at a much slower rate on Earth. Exactly how Malor fit into the whole situation, however, was still a mystery.

After the meeting, Hikaru found herself alone once again with Lantis. They were walking along the lush and well-maintained garden inside the palace. She felt increasingly uncomfortable in his presence. It was true that on her first return to Earth after becoming the Pillar she had declared her love for Lantis out loud. But everything seemed to be going fast and she discovered that she was thoroughly unprepared to handle the new feelings and sensations that went with love. Further, she felt that there were more important things to think about.

Fortunately, it seemed that Lantis had other things on his mind. "Hikaru," he began, "I've been giving this a lot of thought."

Hikaru stopped walking and faced the magic swordsman. "What is it, Lantis?"

"When Princess Emeraude was still the Pillar, before I left for my travels, I was her designated protector. When I left, La Farga took my place as her protector." Lantis faced Hikaru. "Are you following where I'm going with this?"

Hikaru's brows furrowed in thought. "You're saying that the Pillar needs protection."

"That's correct."

"And you're saying that I need protection as well."

"Again, correct."

Hikaru tilted her head and looked at Lantis teasingly. "And you are volunteering to be my protector."

"That pretty much sums it up, Princess," Lantis replied smugly.

Hikaru sighed. "Well, that's what you've already been doing, Lantis. You've been always there by my side wherever I go. It's not like I could stop you."

"Are you saying you don't like my company?"

"Oh no! It's not that at all!" Hikaru shook her head vigorously. "It just takes getting used to, that's all."

"Then it's settled. I'll be going back with you to Earth."

"What!?" Hikaru's eyes widened at the suggestion. "You can't do that!"

"Why not?"

"Well, it's a totally different world where I come from," the redhead protested.

"I'm a well traveled man. I can adapt pretty fast."

"We do things differently on Earth," Hikaru was desperately running out of excuses. "And our technology is different."

"In case you've forgotten, I've lived in Autozam for years. I'm used to technology." Lantis had his arms crossed over his chest challenging the Pillar to come up with more reasons.

"But…but where will you live?"

"I can stay with you--"

"Absolutely not!" Hikaru jumped to her feet. "My brothers will not stand for that at all!"

"They will when they find out the truth," insisted the tall swordsman, "you already said you would tell them everything."

"But…but…"

"But what?" Lantis narrowed his eyes at the diminutive Princess.

Hikaru stomped off a few meters away and began pacing. To Lantis it was a pathetic attempt to come up with more lame excuses. Finally, the Princess stomped back and stopped just in front of him.

"Listen to me Lantis. I do not need your protection." Hikaru's fists were clenched at her sides, her expression hard.

"You and the rest of the Knights are in danger."

Hikaru sighed deeply and turned so she wouldn't have to face him. "I don't want to have to say this to you, Lantis. But remember that final battle I had with Nova?" She heard Lantis' sharp intake of breath. "I almost got myself killed when she had you hostage and I couldn't…wouldn't attack her." Hikaru looked down. "I know it's painful to remember. I know…" She trailed off when she felt Lantis stand and turned to walk away. She whirled to face him but it was his back that she now saw. "Lantis…"

The magic swordsman squared his shoulders. "I understand what you're saying completely, Princess. I'm a liability to you." Lantis began to walk away.

"Lantis, wait!" Hikaru held out a hand to him, pleading for him to stay so that she could explain. Except Lantis kept on walking and the truth was there was nothing else she could say. "Oh, Lantis…"

* * * * *

It was time for the Magic Knights to return to Earth. Once again they were in the Grand Hall and everyone was there, except Lantis. He was conspicuously absent for the send off. The Knights and Kuu were mysteriously dressed in their nightgowns but with robes over them for their trip back.

Kuu knelt down to hug the young princess of Fahren. "I'm so glad to have met you, Princess Aska."

"The pleasure was all mine, Kuu," replied a misty-eyed Aska.

Kuu turned to face the equally young personal aide of Aska, Sanyung and shook hands with him. "It was a pleasure to meet with you as well, Sanyung."

Sanyung, always the shy type, began to blush slightly. "The pleasure was also all mine, Lady Kuu. We hope to see you again soon."

"Oh, I do hope so!" Kuu stood to allow her little sister to also say her goodbyes to both Aska and her aide.

After everyone had said his or her goodbyes, it was finally time to leave. Once again, but this time with minimal effort, Hikaru stretched out her hand and immediately a shimmering oval portal appeared. Hikaru looked back at the crowd that had gathered. "Well, goodbye everyone."

"Take good care of yourself, Hikaru," Clef said, "and remember that you have the power to call on us and even summon us to Earth if need be."

Hikaru nodded. "I will Clef, don't worry." She turned to her companions. "Let's go." First Hikaru, then Umi went through the portal. Fuu, with her arm around Kuu, was about to walk through as well but Kuu held back.

Fuu looked at her sister. "Kuu, we have to go now."

"Is it safe?" Kuu reached out to touch the iridescent light that was the center of the portal. She felt the cold energy touch her finger which caused her to instinctively draw back.

"Of course it's safe, Kuu. We've done this several times already."

"Go ahead, Kuu," Aska said, smiling encouragingly, "it'll be okay."

Kuu glanced back at Aska and then at her little sister and then took a deep breath. "Okay. Well, here goes…" Kuu stepped into the portal and disappeared.

Fuu glanced back at the others and smiled cheerfully. "Goodbye everyone!" Everyone waved at the friendly Wind Knight until she finally disappeared into the portal as well.

Clef grew pensive as he watched the portal slowly dissipate. He couldn't shake the feeling that he might not see the Knights again.


NEXT:

Chapter 7 - The Stuff of Legends


AUTHOR'S NOTES:

C&C are very welcome. Please e-mail them to darkhrse0714@yahoo.com


DISCLAIMER:

Magic Knight Rayearth and all the characters in that anime/manga are properties of CLAMP. These are used here without permission.