Magic Knight Rayearth Fan Fiction ❯ The Ramarian Crisis ❯ Chapter 7: The Stuff of Legends ( Chapter 7 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

The Ramarian Crisis

By DarkHorse

Chapter 7: The Stuff of Legends

National Military Command Center, Pentagon

B ill Winters watched as Sergeant Gomez made some necessary adjustments on his instrument panel. He looked to his right to find Joan Rumsen equally focused on the work being done. He was sure she was feeling the same way: giddy. It wasn't everyday that you get to see the inside of the Pentagon, much less witness the inner workings of one of the best-kept secrets in the world.

They were connected via a special patch to the VLA or Very Large Array located in New Mexico. It was an array of 27 dishes already pointed skywards towards the direction where they believed the alien ships were. The current mission was to send a message to them.

The actual content of the message was a subject of much debate. They were going to send both a Behistun and an English version of the message. In the end, it was a ridiculously simple one:

GREETINGS FROM EARTH.

WE ARE A PEACE LOVING RACE.

WE WOULD LIKE TO EXPLORE WAYS, WHICH WILL ALLOW US TO WORK TOGETHER IN PEACE AND HARMONY.

PLEASE ACKNOWLEDGE.

"How long do you think it will take for this message to reach them?" Sergeant Gomez asked with his eyes still glued on the console in front of him.

"Based on our calculations, it will take a year for our signal to reach them," Winters replied.

"It would be nice if we had the same kind of power they used when they sent their signal to us," Joan Rumsen said wistfully.

After a few more adjustments, Sergeant Gomez swiveled his chair to face the two astrophysicists. "Ready when you are."

Winters and Rumsen exchanged glances before looking back at the Latino computer operator. Winters gave him a nod.

"Okay," Gomez swiveled his chair back to face his console, "here we go." He punched a button and just like that without the fanfare one would expect from such a historic moment, the message went out into the void of space. Gomez stood and faced his visitors again. "I've programmed it so that the message would send continuously every three hours for 24 hours."

Bill Winters reached out to shake the hands of the Sergeant. "Thank you for your assistance Sergeant."

Joan Rumsen did the same. Both astrophysicists were then led outside, their little adventure already done. Once outside, Bill turned to Joan. "What are you thinking about?"

Joan looked at her companion. "What do you mean?"

"You've got that expression on your face."

Joan smirked. "You know me too well, Bill," she said. "I just think those ships will get the message sooner than a year."

Bill merely nodded and began walking. "Those ships are moving." It was a statement.

"Towards Earth."

"When will you make your report to the President?"

"I'll have it ready by tomorrow."

Bill said nothing more as he walked to the car and opened the door for Joan to enter. After Joan had settled herself inside, Bill went to the other side and got into the driver's side. For a while they just sat there not saying a word.

"It's not very comforting, is it?" Bill asked rhetorically after a while.

"No, not at all," Joan replied stoically. "The funny thing is you can't escape it just by going out of town."

"Yeah," Bill responded with the same blandness. He started the car and drove towards their hotel.

* * * * *

Tanaka stood stock still as he listened to his aide give the report about the failed kidnapping attempt. Even as they spoke policemen were already swarming the residence of the one of the girls they were supposed to abduct. It was also likely that one of his men was killed. How was it possible that ten highly trained men could be bested by three girls? He grilled the aide mercilessly with questions about the night's excursion. Were there only three girls in the house? Was it a trap? Did anyone come by the house while his men were inside? Naturally, the man didn't have any answers.

With a deep scowl, Tanaka dismissed the pitifully sweating man and made his way back to his office. Damn! The money he had been paid was a pittance compared to what he had lost tonight. The only thing he could take solace from was the fact that those men were trained not to talk. So the likelihood that he would be fingered was slim at best.

During the walk he had cursed silently continuously. Upon reaching the door to his office, he fished for the keys inside the pocket of his trouser. It was only when he put his key on the lock did he realize that his door was ajar.

Putting his keys quietly back in his pocket, he reached inside his jacket for his gun. Once out, he silently cocked it and flipped the safety off. With his left hand he slowly pushed the door open. When the door was sufficiently opened, he quickly reached in and turned the lights on, rushed in and aimed the gun first towards his table, then to the left side. Belatedly noticing that someone was at his desk did he aim once more towards that direction.

There reclining on his very expensive leather chair with his feet up on the desk was the man who paid him to capture three girls. Tanaka raised his pistol to aim more carefully at the intruder.

"I should shoot you right here right now," Tanaka said through gritted teeth.

The stranger merely smiled and dropped his feet. He leaned forward, resting his forearms on the desk. "In your position I could probably understand why you would feel that way."

Curiosity made the Yakuza hesitate on the trigger. "What is your business here?"

"Surely you already know that your men faired pitifully against the three girls we sent you to capture."

Tanaka narrowed his eyes. He was having real difficulty controlling his temper. "You have made a big mistake coming here to gloat, gaijin," his finger was already caressing the trigger, "so unless you give me a good reason not to shoot you…"

The stranger merely smiled again and brought his hands up, palms facing outwards in front of him. "Relax, Tanaka," the man said, slowly rising from the desk. He moved very slowly to the front of the desk with Tanaka tracking his every step with his gun. "I'm here to give you an opportunity to get some payback." With one hand, the man pulled at his left lapel to open his jacket. His right hand slowly began to snake into the jacket.

"Keep your hands were I can see them!"

"Easy," the intruder said, "easy, I'm just taking an envelope out." True enough, his right hand came out holding a rather large brown envelope. He tossed it forward so that it landed just in front of Tanaka's feet.

"What is that?"

"It's the second half of your fee," the man said, grinning, "plus a sizable bonus."

Tanaka cocked his head, eyeing his "guest" suspiciously. "This is not how we do business in Japan, gaijin. I have not delivered the girls, so why do you pay me?"

"Because you may not have delivered the girls but you have given us some valuable information about them."

Realizing that the man was not a threat, he lowered his gun and reached down to pick up the envelope. Holding the envelope with his right hand between the gun and his thumb, he pried the flap with his left. He peered inside and saw quite a sizeable amount of money. He looked up once again at the intruder. "Very well, you have my attention." Tanaka walked towards and around his desk to rightfully take his position. Before sitting down on his expensive leather chair, he motioned for the man to sit down. Only when he did, did Tanaka lower himself placing the gun facing forwards on the right side of the desk and the envelope on the left. He looked squarely at the face of the man in front of him. "Perhaps we should start by you telling me your name."

"You already know my name," the man smiled generously.

"That is not your real name."

"It is for now," the man persisted, giving Tanaka an expression as if daring him to contradict him.

"Very well, Mr. Roger Simmons," Tanaka conceded after a second of contemplation as he leaned back and steepled his fingers, "how do you propose I get my payback?"

"Simmons" smiled wickedly.

* * * * *

The Hououji sisters looked at their house with dismay. The Hikaru, Umi and the sisters were watching from a block away. But even from that distance they could glimpse a number of policemen coming in and out with abandon. They could also see medics bearing stretchers that carried the injured men that had tried to kidnap them. There was also a yellow "Police Line Do Not Cross" tape that prevented the crowd from obstructing the proceedings. The Hououjis only saw these kinds of things on TV. What would our parents say? was their collective thought.

"Stay calm, Fuu, Kuu," Hikaru said standing behind them. "Everything will be okay. Do you guys remember the story?"

The sisters nodded. Hikaru turned to her right to look at Umi. "How about you, Umi, are you okay with the story?" Umi nodded mutely, her eyes glued at the drama before her.

Hikaru squared her shoulders and stepped forward. "Okay, let's do this." Without turning back, she walked past the sisters and marched towards the police. Fuu, Kuu and Umi's eyes widened in nervousness and amazement at the courage of the redhead. They had no choice but to follow, of course. As one, they pulled their robes more tightly around their nightgowns.

Hikaru walked up to a policeman who was facing forward. He jerked when he felt someone tapping him on his shoulder. He turned around at first not seeing anyone. It was when he looked down that he realized that it was a redheaded little girl that tapped him.

"Excuse me, Officer…" Hikaru started to say.

"Miss," the policemen was already wagging a finger at Hikaru, "this is no place for young girls like you. Go on home."

Kuu walked up to Hikaru and looked at the policeman. "Officer, that is our home," Kuu said pointing towards the gate.

"What!?"

Kuu was going to say something more when a taxi and a car came screeching to a halt a few meters away from where she was standing. The vehicles had barely stopped when the doors burst open to reveal Hikaru's three brothers and Umi's parents."

"Elder Brother! Masaru! Kakeru!" Hikaru cried as she rushed to her brothers' waiting arms. Unexpected tears spilled from her eyes.

"Umi!" both Mr. and Mrs. Ryuuzaki cried out, rushing towards their daughter. The reunion was a tearful one as well.

Kuu and Fuu watched on hugging each other and sharing the feeling of relief that Hikaru's brothers and Umi's parents obviously felt. Both also had tears on their eyes.

Satoru drew back, holding Hikaru's shoulders tightly with his hands. He looked deeply into the fiery eyes of his little sister. "Tell me, Hikaru, what happened here?"

"Elder Brother, there is much to say, but again this is not the time," Hikaru looked hard into her brother's eyes, willing him to understand just this one more time.

"Excuse me."

The four siblings looked up to see a policeman standing there waiting for them to notice him.

"I'm terribly sorry," the officer said as he looked at Satoru, "but your sister is needed for questioning."

Hikaru looked back at her brother. "It's alright." She turned back to the policeman. "My brothers can accompany me, can't they, Officer?"

"Yes, Miss, they can," the policeman stepped back and gestured towards his car. "This way please." The siblings followed the police and got into the car. Hikaru glanced out of the window to see that Umi, her parents, Fuu and Kuu were similarly escorted to two waiting police cars. She caught the eye of both Umi and Fuu and nodded encouragingly to them. They both managed a small smile of strength before disappearing into their respective rides. Hikaru sighed as she faced forward. It's going to be a long night.

* * * * *

"I told you a thousand times already!" yelled the handcuffed man seated on what appeared to be a very uncomfortable wooden chair.

"You will tell us again," Investigator Hirota said calmly behind the man, "what did you see just before you passed out?" Hirota glanced at the one-way mirror knowing that there were people on the other side watching and listening to the proceedings. He was particularly curious as to what the "observer" from the United States was thinking.

The man on the chair, presumably the leader of the gang named Abe Fukuda, sighed deeply. "I saw an oval something. It was really bright. It really hurt my eyes. In the middle of the oval was something like water, churning water. And I saw one of the girls walk through it and disappeared." Fukuda hung his head in fatigue and despair. It sounded so crazy even he couldn't believe what he really saw.

"What happened to the oval after the girl disappeared into it?"

"The oval just disappeared," Fukuda began shaking his head. "It just disappeared."

Hirota stared at the Fukuda's back for several seconds before straightening up. He turned to walk out the door. He rounded the corner to join three people who witnessed the interrogation. "So what do you think?" This question, posed in English, he addressed to the "observer", Special Agent Robert Jenkins of the FBI. Hirota didn't mind that the FBI was here in Japan. He actually took advantage of such opportunities to learn more about the way they did things in the West. He was convinced that the Japanese police force was very competent but that was just like saying you were the best basketball player because you were the tallest. The criminals in Japan aren't as…resourceful as those in the United States. Hirota was open-minded enough to admit that.

Also he had come to like the American agent. He was tall and bulky. Someone who, Hirota thought, would feel right at home playing American football. But it was this man's intelligence and insight that earned his respect.

Right now, Jenkins had his arms crossed on his chest, pondering the answer to Hirota's question. "Well, let's see," he held out a hand and began ticking off fingers. "First we have girls with amazing strength and speed; second, these girls seem to also possess amazing powers; and now third, there's this 'oval something' that they can disappear into."

"Don't forget that except for the 'oval something', we got the same stories from this guy's companions when they regained consciousness," Hirota added. "Their accounts are amazingly consistent." It was highly unlikely that they made up this story, Hirota didn't have to say.

"Have we also already questioned the girls?"

"Investigator Hashimoto is doing that now as we speak," replied Hirota. Hashimoto was a junior investigator but was competent enough. If he handled himself well in this case, it could earn him the recognition he was looking for.

Jenkins nodded. The White House asked him to report anything strange that happened in Japan. Well, this qualified as "strange" in his vocabulary. He glanced at the detective. "So Hirota-san, what do you think?"

"It is truly bizarre, Mr. Jenkins," Hirota said as he stroked his beardless chin, "truly bizarre."

"Do you get bizarre cases here often?"

"Not at all, Mr. Jenkins," the Japanese investigator shook his head vigorously. "Why?"

"Oh nothing," Jenkins said simply.

* * * * *

The ringing of the phone startled Joan out of her deep concentration. She was performing deep calculations about the movement of the alien ships sitting just outside their solar system. Damn! Can't a person have any peace around here? Joan pushed herself away from the terminal and allowed her swivel chair to propel her towards the annoying phone.

"Hello!" she said into the phone a bit too harshly.

"Ms. Rumsen?" replied a female voice on the other line.

"This is she."

"I have a priority patch for you from Japan."

"What?"

"Hello? Ms. Rumsen?" This one was a male voice this time.

"Who is this?" Joan was getting more annoyed by the minute.

"This is Special Agent Robert Jenkins of the FBI," replied the man. "I'm calling you from Japan."

"Well, what do you want already!" the reception wasn't very clear, further irritating the astrophysicist.

"I have just one question for you Ms. Rumsen," a pause, "what would a wormhole look like?"

"A what? Did you just say 'wormhole'?"

"Yes, Ma'am."

Joan pulled the phone from ear to stare at it. Is this for real? Delicately, she put the phone back to her ear. "Why are you asking?"

"Please, Ma'am," insisted the disjointed voice, "just answer the question."

Why the nerve--? "Listen bozo, I'm--"

"Ma'am, this is official White House business," the man's voice was serious enough to jolt Joan out of her retort.

"Okay, okay!" Joan collected her thoughts for a moment. "Listen, Agent Jenkins right? Nobody has ever seen a wormhole so I wouldn't be able to tell you what it really looks like."

"If you were to guess…" the voice prompted.

Joan leaned far back on her chair to allow her head to hang backwards so that her eyes were looking straight up to the ceiling. "If I were to guess…well, a wormhole is like a door, you know, a passage way…and since it would take a lot of energy to create one, I'd imagine a wormhole to be, I don't know, bright or something…full of energy." Joan moved forward to resume a natural sitting position as she waited for a response. It took a long time.

"We have someone in custody right now who claims to have seen a wormhole."

Joan audibly smirked. "Oh c'mon…"

"I kid you not, Ma'am."

After a moment, Joan's eyes widened and her mouth hung open. "Agent Jenkins, where did you say you were again?"

"Tokyo, Japan."

Joan gripped the phone tightly. "C-can you…did the man in your custody describe what he saw?" She heard the shuffling of paper in the background. "Agent Jenkins?"

"The man said it was oval-shaped. It was very bright. The center was like churning water."

Could it be? For at least five seconds, neither one spoke. "Agent Jenkins," Joan whispered at last.

"Yes, Ma'am?"

"I cannot of course tell you with all certainty that what your man saw was a wormhole. I mean…I would have to have evidence after all…"

"But…?"

"…but," Joan sighed, "it would appear that what he saw could very well be a wormhole."

"Thank you, Ms. Rumsen."

"Wait!" But the line was already cut. Joan could only stare at the phone in her hand. "Bill…" Joan said, softly at first and then: "Bill!" Joan could hear a crash from the other cubicle and a scramble of feet. When Bill's head popped in, his glasses were askew on his face.

"What is it this time!?"

Joan fixed her colleague with a glare that would brook no argument. "We're going to Japan."

* * * * *

Ryuuzaki slammed his hand down on the desk. "My daughter has been in there for two hours already!"

"Please, Mr. Ryuuzaki," pleaded the desk clerk, "we haven't finished gathering information from your daughter. Understand that we need this information to be able to ensure that this will not happen again."

"Well, how much longer will this take?" He asked as his hands curled into fists in an attempt to rein in his temper.

"I cannot say for sure, Mr. Ryuuzaki," the clerk said, his hands palm up, trying the assuage the anger of the other man, "but these things do take time."

Ryuuzaki felt a hand on his shoulder and turned to see that it was his lovely wife. "Dear, our Umi will be alright," Mrs. Ryuuzaki said soothingly. She turned to look down at the clerk. "We will be at the lounge. You will tell us when our daughter is ready to leave, won't you?"

The clerk nodded his head eagerly. "Of course, Ma'am."

With a hand on either shoulder, Mrs. Ryuuzaki steered her husband away from the desk and towards the visitors lounge. Upon reaching it, Ryuuzaki slumped down on the chair and buried his face in his hand. After a moment, he looked up and turned to his wife.

"Who would want to harm our little girl?"

"The police are trying to find out, Dear."

"I don't want anything to happen to our only girl. I'm sure this has been tremendously traumatic for her. She's never had to endure such a thing before."

Mrs. Ryuuzaki looked away. "I'm not very sure about that, Dear. Something tells me our little girl is a lot tougher than that."

Ryuuzaki looked at his wife, puzzled by what she said. Finally he just shrugged. He had to admit that in a way, his wife knew their daughter more.

* * * * *

Investigator Hashimoto glanced down at his watch. It was already 5:34 in the morning. He looked up at the door of the room holding Umi Ryuuzaki. The girl was extremely temperamental. More so now, he guessed, since she was sleep-deprived. Who wasn't anyway?

He had just completed cross-interrogating the Hououji sisters and the Shidou girl. Both were calm in comparison. Their stories were surprisingly consistent. It seemed like a night…make that, day of consistent stories. He just had to do one more round of questioning. Taking a deep breath, he opened the door.

As to be expected, Umi Ryuuzaki had a deep scowl on her face. Her arms were crossed tightly across her chest. It amazed Hashimoto that for someone who was only fourteen years old, she was good at intimidating people, including himself except this was something he would never admit to anyone.

As soon as he seated himself opposite her, she harrumphed, turning her pretty little face upwards and away from him. He already pitied the guy who would end up marrying this girl. She definitely had a bad temper.

"Now, Miss Ryuuzaki, this will just take a few more minutes," Hashimoto said as he laid down his notes in front of him.

"You said that more than two hours ago!"

"Please understand," he said looking at the girl in front of him who wouldn't even glance at him, "this is a sensitive case. Even the United States of America is interested in this."

That seemed to perk up her interest. She glared at him. That's when he realized that he shouldn't have told her that. "Why would the United States of America be interested in such a trivial matter?"

Hashimoto sighed and rubbed his face with a hand. "Well, it seemed that your story directly contradicts those of the men who tried to abduct you."

"So who are you gonna believe?" Ryuuzaki demanded. "Are you implying that we're lying?"

Hashimoto decided it was time to put his foot down with this girl and be tough. "Listen Miss Ryuuzaki, the longer you remain uncooperative, the longer we will have to hold you here for questioning."

Umi Ryuuzaki snapped her head towards him and narrowed her eyes dangerously. "Are you threatening me?"

For some inexplicable reason he became quite afraid. There was something about this girl…

"Now, Investigator," Ryuuzaki began in a tone that was surprisingly calm, "why is the US interested in this little case?"

"B-because there seem to be aliens interested in capturing a wormhole," Hoshimoto stammered. What the hell is happening to me?

"I see," the girl said, suddenly less threatening. "Since you've been very good, I'll tell you my story once again.

"At around half past one this morning we heard some noises. My best friend's older sister Kuu peeked downstairs and saw men dressed in black entering the house. So she hurriedly entered our room and woke us all up. We then climbed down the window to the ground and escaped. We returned only when we saw the police arrived.

"So, can I go now?" Ryuuzaki batted her blue eyes at him.

Hashimoto, who was held in a trance-like daze, suddenly shook his head briefly as if trying to clear his head. He nodded, his expression one of confusion. The girl gracefully rose from her seat and turned towards the door. Just before leaving the room, she turned back at the immobile detective and smiled.

It was several seconds before Hashimoto fully recovered. He realized belatedly that he was now alone in the room. Damn that girl! What did she do to me?

* * * * *

Rogo entered the large apartment that was their base of operations in downtown Tokyo. The apartment had four rooms to accommodate himself, Crata, Logo and his lieutenant, Alpa. They rented several such apartments in the same area to accommodate every other member of the team. Each group was never more than 15 minutes away from the base.

Lam looked up as Rogo made his way into the center of the room, which was, as usual, cluttered with various electronic equipments. "So how did it go?" Lam asked, gently laying the tools he was using on the table and turning his chair to face the leader of the exploration team.

Rogo seated himself on another chair facing the leader of the assault team. "It looks like Tanaka will play ball."

Logo was about to say something when Crata chose that moment to exit her room clad only with a towel wrapped around her body. She had apparently just finished showering. Rogo was used to this as he shared the apartment with her after all. As a human being, Crata would have been an excellent specimen. Her face was beautiful. She had long black hair and her figure and complexion were flawless. Rogo did not pay any additional attention to her though. He couldn't find anything attractive about humans.

Lam, on the other hand, was tracking Crata with his eyes as she crossed the room towards the kitchen. When she came out carrying a glass of water, Lam was still tracking her until she disappeared into her room once more. For her part, Crata did not seem to have even noticed the attention that was accorded her. Rogo turned to stare at Lam.

Lam, noticing Rogo's stare, turned to stare back at him. "What?"

"You were looking at Crata."

"So?"

"You were looking at her as if you found her attractive."

"And what is so wrong with that?"

Rogo scowled not expecting to have to explain the oddity to Lam. "She was in her human form."

"As a human being, Crata is attractive."

"Really?" Rogo turned to look at Crata's room as if he could still see her. He finally shook his head and looked at Lam. "I don't find anything attractive about humans. I hate the color and texture of their skin. Their hair looks so strange. And they don't exude any pheromones at all."

Lam merely smiled. "It's a pity that in all the time you've spent on this planet, you've never learned to appreciate their unique beauty. Anyway," he reached over to pick up the device he had been working on when Rogo entered, "take a look at this." He handed the device to Rogo.

Rogo took the device and began turning it over, examining it. The device had what seemed like a bulb on one end. On the whole, it looked like a flashlight but flat and rectangular. There were three unmarked buttons on one of its sides. Finally he looked up at Logo. "So what is it?"

"It's supposed to be a hypnotic device," he took the device from Rogo and aimed it him. "If you flash the bulb at a human, it's supposed to temporarily blind him and open his primitive brain to hypnotic suggestions within the first five seconds of activation."

Upon hearing that, Rogo looked back warily at the device aimed at him. Lam laughed as he lowered the device. "Don't worry. It doesn't work on us. Our brains are easily able to counter any such suggestion. Also, our eyes are protected against the glare that this bulb is supposed to emit."

Feeling foolish, Rogo merely nodded. "So does it work?"

"I don't know yet. Although, theoretically, based on my research on humans, it should work. Some humans though, may be strong-willed enough to counter the effects of the hypnotic suggestion." Lam began prying a panel open to make some minor adjustments. "What I still don't know for sure," he said while picking up a thin instrument and applying it to the miniscule instrumentation of the device, "is how long the suggestion lasts."

"We should probably test it then."

"Of course, we'll test it," he said, briefly glancing at Rogo. "Let me just make some final adjustments here and you can ask Crata to fish for a man outside. It shouldn't be too difficult for her to do."

"Right."

Crata chose that moment to exit her room, dressed in tight jeans and a white cutoff that showcased her narrow waist. She walked purposely towards the two men, taking a swivel chair, turning it around with the intention of straddling it. She planted her hands on the backrest and faced Lam squarely.

"I've heard my name mentioned a number of times," Crata said nonchalantly as she gazed into Lam's eyes.

Unaffected by the technology expert's frank appraisal, Lam turned back to the device he was tinkering around with. "I always knew there were disadvantages to having hearing implants."

"I distinctly heard that Commander Lam here finds me attractive in my current form," Crata went on as if she didn't hear Lam's previous comment.

Lam glanced up at Rogo without lifting his head before bringing it back down to the device in his hands. "What of it?" He heard a quiet sniffing sound and turned to look at the source. Crata was sniffing the air that separated herself from him. "What are you doing?" Lam asked, this time fully facing the woman.

"Are you sure you're attracted to me, Commander," she asked, clearly puzzled.

Unable to contain his bemusement, Rogo chuckled. "You are undoubtedly wondering why Lam is not excreting pheromones," he said to Crata. She glanced briefly at him before directing her attention back to Lam.

"I have deliberately stopped excreting pheromones," Lam said simply, once more turning his attention to the device.

"Why would you do that?"

"Because," Lam said, "although I may be attracted to you in your current form, I have not intention of pursuing you." Lam held his gaze.

"Oh," Crata said neutrally. She wasn't expecting that response. "Pity," was all she said as she rose from the chair.

Rogo cleared his throat and turned to address his technology expert. "I have a task for you."

"I already know about it," she said as she pulled the swivel chair and returned it to where she found it. "You want me to get a random human so you can test the device."

Rogo's mouth curled upwards. "Would you know how to do that?"

"I'll use what humans call 'charm'," Crata said with a flourish. "Besides, these primitive humans can't detect pheromones anyway." With that, she pivoted gracefully on a foot and walked outside the apartment, her focus already on the task at hand.

Both Rogo and Lam watched her leave. Slowly Lam turned to look at Rogo. "How long do you wager it will take her to snag a victim?"

Rogo smiled and looked down at his watch. "I'd say one hour."

"Care to put money where your mouth is?"

Rogo chuckled.

* * * * *

Umi found her parents, along with her friends, waiting for her in the lounge. As soon as they glimpsed her through the glass partition, her Dad and Mom rushed towards her, roughly barging through the glass door, and pulled her into a tight embrace.

"Mother, Daddy, I'm okay really!" Umi was getting a bit embarrassed by the attention. It felt that every policeman in the precinct was watching them.

"We were so worried about you," her mother cried, tears threatening to brim over and spill.

Mr. Ryuuzaki pulled back to examine his daughter and was a little surprised to see her so spry. "Well, you seem okay," he declared, quite pleased actually that there were no physical harm whatsoever on his little Umi. He led his daughter to the lounge where her two friends were.

Umi was surprised that Fuu's parents were there as well. As to be expected, they were fawning over their daughters. Hikaru was smiling brightly at her. Umi excused and disengaged herself from her parents and rushed to the redhead, eager to hug her friend.

"Hikaru!"

"Umi!"

They both hugged tightly. Shortly, a third joined in. "Fuu!" both Hikaru and Umi chorused.

"Hikaru, Fuu, I think I may have discovered something," Umi said, pulling her two friends away from hearing distance of their family.

"What is it?" Hikaru asked.

"It seems that the United States government also know of the aliens' desire to get a hold of your ability to create portals."

"I wonder how that will affect us," Fuu wondered out loud, a finger touching her lips in a pensive pose.

"I don't know either," the Fire Knight admitted, "but one thing is certain." Both Umi and Fuu looked at their leader. "We cannot keep this a secret from our family any longer." The two other girls nodded in agreement.

Realizing that their respective families were getting impatient, they separated. Hikaru joined her brothers, Fuu, her sister and parents and Umi, her mother and father. Finally, as a group they left the precinct.

* * * * *

Special Agent Jenkins and Investigator Hirota watched the group leave. Jenkins turned to the man beside him. "Hirota-san, we need to have them watched."

Investigator Hirota merely nodded. They were severely undermanned but somehow he would have to find the resources needed for the stakeout. Both men turned to see a third reluctantly join them. Hirota turned to look at his fellow investigator with a disappointed expression. "What the hell happened in there?"

Hashimoto couldn't lift his eyes to meet those of the senior officer's. "I don't know," he whined. "I honestly don't know."

Jenkins, puzzled at the exchange, turned to Hirota. "What happened?"

"You should watch the tape," Hirota replied not taking his eyes off the younger detective, "it was truly a sight to see."

Jenkins could see that coaxing additional information from the senior investigator would just further embarrass the junior. He decided to let it slide but made a mental note to watch the tape. It could be interesting.

* * * * *

The President of the United States rubbed the bridge of his nose under his glasses. It has been a long day. He glanced briefly at his watch. It was almost 9 in the evening. He looked up once again and glanced at the people seated around the conference table of the Situation Room.

"Let me see if I got this straight," the President began wearily, ticking off fingers as he went, "first, there was a kidnap attempt made on three junior high school girls by ten armed men, presumably members of the Yakuza. Second, the girls were able to detect the presence of these men and were able to escape. Third, an unknown force was able to neutralize the ten armed men. Finally, one of the men testified to seeing what may have been a wormhole and a girl entering into it before passing out.

"On top of that, our two astrophysicists have made an impromptu trip to Japan because our agent there asked, what's her name? Rumsen? Yes, Rumsen, what a wormhole would look like. Have I got everything correct?" The President clasped his hands together and rested them on the table and directed his focus on the man who delivered this latest news. The FBI Director, Jack Palmer, nodded slowly.

"That pretty much sums it up, Mr. President," Palmer said calmly.

"So where are the girls now?" It was the Chief of Staff who asked this time.

"The Japanese police could not hold them so they allowed them to go home," Palmer looked down to consult his notes. "Nevertheless, we are assigning each girl a five-man team to watch over them closely."

The Director of Central Intelligence smirked. "It's refreshing to see the Japanese being so cooperative."

"They have reason to, Tim," Palmer replied, "they know what we know about the aliens."

"So what about the girls?" The President asked to keep the discussion on track. "Do they possess the ability to create a wormhole?"

The advisors gathered around the table looked at one another, trying to gauge whether any one of them believed in that possibility. Finally, the Chief of Staff faced the President. "Sir, we all feel that it is highly improbable that three fourteen-year-old girls would have that kind of ability."

"Then how the hell can you explain what the Japanese gangster said about seeing a…" the Chief Executive looked down at another report right in front of him, "…a bright oval filled with something that looked like churning water."

"Sir," the FBI Director leaned forward, "we cannot totally rely on this man's testimony since he is in fact a criminal."

"Your agent reported that the other gangsters testified to witnessing amazing feats of…" again the President looked down at the report, "…of 'magic, speed and power'."

Jack Palmer had no response to that so he fell silent. The Chief Executive looked at him still waiting for him to respond. Finally, Palmer glanced up and moistened his lips before speaking. "Mr. President, it is too early to conclude that any statement these men made as true." Palmer laid his hands palm up on the table. "I recommend, Sir, that we continue to investigate this matter."

The President took a deep breath and then slowly nodded. "How long will you stake out the girls?"

"As long as it takes, Mr. President."

"Very well," the President rose bringing the rest of them up on their feet as well. "Keep me posted." He walked out of the door already held open for him by his personal detail. His Chief of Staff followed briskly after him towards the Oval Office. The Chief Executive looked at his Chief of Staff without slowing down. "What about Rumsen and Winters?"

"If they get lucky, they might be able to see the wormhole with their very own eyes and then report back to us. At any rate, I have already assigned an agent in Japan to meet them."

"If those girls do have the power, what do we do?"

"Mr. President," Caster glanced once at his President before turning his eyes back to the corridor they were walking in, "we make damn sure that we protect them from those aliens."


NEXT:

Chapter 8 - Confessions


AUTHOR'S NOTES:

C&C are desired and very welcome! Please e-mail them to darkhrse0714@yahoo.com

I have decided that this story will undergo one revision, taking into consideration all C&C received before finalizing.

To those who have given me feedback, thank you very much!


DISCLAIMER:

Magic Knight Rayearth and all the characters in that anime/manga are properties of CLAMP. These are used here without permission.